3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy 'round here, Intro and on the hunt

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
Be safe on way home and post pics from your journey.
The following users liked this post:
00h2itr (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
That's the best part of a new car IMO.

I'd like to drive back this time, NOT at night. I'm in SC and going through the mountains of KY/NC/SC while it was raining and I was tired wasn't much fun.

OR.... I stay somewhere and hit up Tail of the Dragon on the way back. Hrm...
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Great job doing your research and finding the TL forums on acurazine. I hope that the car your are picking up is everything you expect it to be. Seems like prices have improved a good bit since I bought my 06 MT w/ Nav over a year ago. I looked for a while in the private market but couldn't find the color/trans/mileage I wanted. Ended up going the Carmax route which delivered mt TL from 500 miles away for $100. Although Carmax is strict on the no-haggle (believe me I tried) I felt like I paid fair market value to get exactly what I wanted.

As for making the TL your own, there are plenty of add-ons (even OEM options like an ASPEC suspension) to make it more sporty, but really it's a great daily driver (although I read you would be barely be putting any miles on it given your occupation).

Read up on the 3rd gear "notch" feel as that's something you should evaluate when you drive it. Not sure whether that also was present in the Type S.

Good luck on your trip.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Instructor

Appreciate the feedback.

I do really wanna read on this 3rd gear notch thing. Coming from ITR's, you'll see a LOT of notchy shifting. While some fluids help minimize this effect, it's almost certainly based on the syncro's. Has anyone skipped the fluid and addressed the transmission itself? I'd be curious if a Syncro actually fixed the issue since it seems to be limited to 3rd gear only.

As for the specific cars, well... I'm still hunting. And here's why...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradmat...n/photostream/

That's my buddy's car that I missed out on about 8 months ago on. He ended up selling it for 18k cash. While I know it's a good deal, that's the bar I've set. I'm after a car in similar condition (read... not mileage) for a deal
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
If that deal turns sour, if it helps, I bought my 6MT CBP TL-S from Leith Acura in Fayetteville (3-4 hours from me), at 43k miles CPO'd for 24.5k OTD (I know thats above your budget). But I thought this was a good deal, so you may want to check their inventory.

Hold out for the 6MT, they're worth it!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Racer

Just one I found in a search that matched what you want:

2007 WDP 6MT TL-S

You can probably talk that price down some.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Instructor

I'm pretty sure that's one of the dealerships I emailed. I'll go back and check my sent items however. Thanks for the tidbit.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 00h2itr
I'm pretty sure that's one of the dealerships I emailed. I'll go back and check my sent items however. Thanks for the tidbit.
I'm in SC myself, btw! I live in Charleston, SC.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by 00h2itr
Appreciate the feedback.

I do really wanna read on this 3rd gear notch thing. Coming from ITR's, you'll see a LOT of notchy shifting. While some fluids help minimize this effect, it's almost certainly based on the syncro's. Has anyone skipped the fluid and addressed the transmission itself? I'd be curious if a Syncro actually fixed the issue since it seems to be limited to 3rd gear only.
Mine had the 3rd gear synchro TSB done (previous owner provided paper work proving it) and 3rd gear was still pretty notchy for me even with that. The rest of the gears were fine.

The issue is two-fold because one part of it is notchiness and the other is 3rd gear popping out altogether. Having the TSB done to fix the synchro will take care of 3rd gear popping out, however, the notchiness really is hit or miss.

This forum has the largest centralized population of 6mt owners and I think everyone (literally) has had success by having Acura do the TSB AND doing GM Synchromesh gear oil, and probably 99% of people have had success by just doing the GM Syncromesh and skipping the TSB.

I think we will all tell you that GM Synchromesh is a must and will almost assuredly prevent any issues you may run into otherwise without it.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by i_love_cars
Mine had the 3rd gear synchro TSB done (previous owner provided paper work proving it) and 3rd gear was still pretty notchy for me even with that. The rest of the gears were fine.

The issue is two-fold because one part of it is notchiness and the other is 3rd gear popping out altogether. Having the TSB done to fix the synchro will take care of 3rd gear popping out, however, the notchiness really is hit or miss.

This forum has the largest centralized population of 6mt owners and I think everyone (literally) has had success by having Acura do the TSB AND doing GM Synchromesh gear oil, and probably 99% of people have had success by just doing the GM Syncromesh and skipping the TSB.

I think we will all tell you that GM Synchromesh is a must and will almost assuredly prevent any issues you may run into otherwise without it.
+1. GM Synchromech Friction Modified fluid is awesome. Though you may have a hard time finding it under this name now as its changed to ACDelco Synchromesh Friction Modified.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
I bought GM syncromesh at our local NAPA parts store.

Also the slave cylinder check valve delete mod is worth it.

I am awaiting motor mounts and torque dampener. Read that it is supposed to stiffen up tranny feel and help with some problems.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Instructor

I'm very familiar with the GM stuff (They used to not sell it anymore, or maybe it was a specific version) since we guys in the ITR world used to use it. But that was way back probably like 4 years ago.

I'm personally a believer of Amsoil MTF with Syncromesh. Likely, when I get one of these cars I'll probably give that a try first and report back my findings.

Guiltyox. I'm up in Greenville area. Moved here from Orlando about 4 years ago. If you hear of any cars down in your area that I may miss via AT, Cars.com, here and CL please let me know.

Sucks to hear that almost all owners have or had this issue. The only once I can compare to here locally did not have this issue.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Well folks, tomorrow may be the day for me.

She's a unicorn too. WDP/Ebony 6MT. Few more miles than I'd like but appears to be in GREAT condition. One owner, clean carfax, all service records and being sold at a dealership willing to put the car on a lift to provide pictures from under the car to show if any, rust and so on (He says there is none)

Should I put the deposit on the phone, I'll link in the pics and so on.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome! WDP is the way to go!!!! (But I love all TL's) I'm excited to see what you have in store for us!!!!