Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Car With Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Car With Scratch

I AM TO PICK UP NEW TL ON FRIDAY. DEALER IS 100 MILES FROM MY HOME. GOT CAR I WANTED THRU DEALER TRADE AND CAR WAS SHIPPED FROM NEW YORK TO FLORIDA. SALESMAN CALLED AND SAID THERE WAS SMALL "PENCIL SCRATCH" ON SIDE AND THAT IT WAS BEING FIXED. SHOULD I TAKE DELIVERY OF THIS VEHICLE? DISCOUNT?
Old 01-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Banned

Re: New Car With Scratch

Originally posted by DOGGY
I AM TO PICK UP NEW TL ON FRIDAY. DEALER IS 100 MILES FROM MY HOME. GOT CAR I WANTED THRU DEALER TRADE AND CAR WAS SHIPPED FROM NEW YORK TO FLORIDA. SALESMAN CALLED AND SAID THERE WAS SMALL "PENCIL SCRATCH" ON SIDE AND THAT IT WAS BEING FIXED. SHOULD I TAKE DELIVERY OF THIS VEHICLE? DISCOUNT?
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

It really depends on how he defines a scratch. Is it just a clear coat scratch, or does it go into the paint itself? If it needs to be repainted in that area, make sure, in bright sunlight, then under a fluorescent light in the dark that the job was done properly, including color match and clear coating. If they don't get it right, refuse delivery until they do, or demand another car. They will probably offer you some type of cost reduction/extra accessories, but make sure they document the incident, and have a copy for your records in case you have problems down the road.

Old 01-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Advanced

BMW had a 5 or 10% rule. If it was less than that to repair, they did. I remember our first car was delayed a week. The dealer thinks they repainted the trunk. I think they were sued in Alabama and lost. But that's Alabama.

The manufacturer and dealer have quite a bit of leeway on fixing cars. In every plant there is a place they make repairs after final inspection. Some major.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:45 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: New Car With Scratch

Originally posted by Z Factor
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

It really depends on how he defines a scratch. Is it just a clear coat scratch, or does it go into the paint itself? If it needs to be repainted in that area, make sure, in bright sunlight, then under a fluorescent light in the dark that the job was done properly, including color match and clear coating. If they don't get it right, refuse delivery until they do, or demand another car. They will probably offer you some type of cost reduction/extra accessories, but make sure they document the incident, and have a copy for your records in case you have problems down the road.

Couldn't agree more.