New Acura warranty vs. CPO warranty - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011 | 04:40 PM
Racer

New Acura warranty vs. CPO warranty - Please help!

So for the longest time I thought that the warranty that any Acura CPO comes with is just an extention of new Acura warranty, meaning it would cover the same thing.

I called my dealer(the only dealer in Iowa, so I am stuck with it) and the advisor said the CPO warranty does not cover everything the new warranty covers and if they take a look at my car, submit the warranty claim, and find out that it's not covered, I will have to pay labor at the end.

Does this make sense?

I am trying to get my steering noise and rear deck rattle taken care of before my CPO warranty runs out.
Old 02-16-2011 | 04:45 PM
Advanced

The rear deck rattle is a losing battle.. just get creative on how to eliminate the noise. I believe there is even a DIY thread somewhere on the site that stops the noise completely.
Old 02-16-2011 | 10:35 PM
Cruisin'

I'm not sure as I just got my car recently, it's an CPO 08 with extended warranty, but from my understanding, the extended Warranty is exactly what it says, it's the same as the original warranty, but extended for another year or 12,000miles over 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. The labor in this should also be covered?

When in doubt, I would call Acura Care: 1-888-682-2872

Let me know how it goes as I would interested to know as well.
Old 02-16-2011 | 11:42 PM
Intermediate

I was just told the same thing by Acura Care a few days ago for a problem I had. They kept saying there was a CPO "contract" that was given to me at purchase showing what's covered/not covered. To be clear, I told them I didn't purchase an extended warranty/contract and they confirmed it but went on to say that CPO is different from the extended warranty (which wasn't my argument anyways).

However, if you look at the acura website, it says
  • 12-month / 12,000-Mile Limited Warranty extends the new car non-powertrain coverage by 12-month / 12,000 miles (whichever comes first) and starts after new car warranty expires.
  • The 7-year / 100,000 mile Powertrain Limited Warranty starts from original date of new car warranty registration.
http://www.acura.com/WarrantyCoverage.aspx

I mentioned this to the guy helping me and he said to look at the contract and not the website. I was going to follow up but I can't find the document they are referring to and was running short on patience. And plus, it was related to coverage of parts that weren't damaged but dealer was adamantly recommending replacement.

Good luck!
Old 02-17-2011 | 09:02 AM
Intermediate

I think this is what the extended platinum warranty covers
"One program extends the non-powertrain equipment coverage for a total of 7 years, 100,000 miles from the date the vehicle was sold as new – the same as the powertrain coverage. Or you can increase your confidence interval further and extend both powertrain and non-powertrain coverage for a total of 8 years, 100,000 miles or even 8 years, 120,000 miles. See dealer for details." the part in bold I found this on http://www.acura.com/ExtendedWarranty.aspx when I get home I'll take a look at my service contract but I'm pretty sure that it extends what ever is in the 12,000 mile limited and adds it to the 100,000 power train. Again this is only an opinion and guess im not to sure without viewing my contract. Just bought an 08 CPO as well so I had the same questions.
Old 02-25-2011 | 12:39 PM
Racer

I just wanted to give you guys an update. I just picked up my car today.

The dealer replaced the rear shelf for me under my CPO warranty, no charge. The audio sounds great.

I mentioned my driver side mirror because it looked like it was corroding on the inside, but they said glass is not covered under CPO warranty.

I had them inspect the front end because of the occational noise and unfortunately, when I drove it with a technician, the noise was never heard, so I ended up paying $90 for inspection. I am trying to get things fixed because I have about 4 months and 5000 miles left on my CPO warranty, but I hate dealing with dealers regarding noises and rattles.
Old 02-25-2011 | 01:14 PM
Intermediate

When I had a problem with my Cadillac regarding noise and rattles I would record with a flip camera as I'm driving so they can see it and hear it. Most times the dealer would try and reproduce the exact same driving conditions on my car as the video was shot. I had heavy noise on my deville at highspeeds and me and a tech went out and drove for a few minutes on the highway and we were able to reproduce it and it was fixed. I would try and bring them as much evidence as possible next time.