Sponsored by:

New 07 - TL-S Owner - Problem, Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:36 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 07 - TL-S Owner - Problem, Need Advice

Hi All.

I purchased a new NBP 07 TL-S 2 weeks ago. Driving to work Monday an object flew off of a landscape trailer and hit the passenger side front door. There is a dent and some paint chipped off! Needless to say, not very happy with only 400 miles on it!!

Any ideas or thoughts on concerns I should have with color matching / touch up? Could dent repair work??

Thanks in advance for any info.

B.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:41 AM
RacinLife

Originally Posted by dmn8
Hi All.

I purchased a new NBP 07 TL-S 2 weeks ago. Driving to work Monday an object flew off of a landscape trailer and hit the passenger side front door. There is a dent and some paint chipped off! Needless to say, not very happy with only 400 miles on it!!

Any ideas or thoughts on concerns I should have with color matching / touch up? Could dent repair work??

Thanks in advance for any info.

B.
If I were you I would fix it!
Old 06-13-2007, 08:07 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pic?

boxstock
Old 06-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have comprehensive insurance coverage? I lowered my deductible to $200 for comprehensive, for this exact reason. I have had my TL-S for three months and just a couple of weeks ago I had a piece of metal piping scratch up my front bumper and broke a fog light, friggen goethals bridge!! You might want to consider lowering your deductible, and then making the claim....however when I lowered my deductible my insurance company wanted to schedule a visual inspection until they realized I didn't even drive off the lot yet. I don't suggest fixing it yourself, seriously you spend almost $40k for a car...spend the little out of pocket cash and have it professional repaired or claim it as comprehensive!
Old 06-13-2007, 08:31 AM
9th Gear

Thanks for the quick response.

I actually filed a claim against the landscape vehicle's insurance. If that fails I do have comp coverage and I am definitely getting it fixed.

My concern is regarding color matching since the paint has the pearl effect?? Also, can dentless services color match??

Can't post pics now, will do later..
Old 06-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Also, can dentless services color match??
I think you mean "paintless" services. And that should answer your question

boxstock
Old 06-13-2007, 08:48 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by boxstock
I think you mean "paintless" services. And that should answer your question

boxstock
Yes, you are right, typing too fast. But Dent Wizard now does paint touch up, etc..
Old 06-13-2007, 08:53 AM
Let's Go Pens

Take it back to the dealer and tell them they sold you a defected car... Ok guess that won't work but I like the idea, lol
Old 06-13-2007, 08:55 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It wasn't your fault so why are you looking for unconventional ways (DentWizard) to fix it? Take it to a reputable bodyshop and let them do what they do...fix car damages!! As for the paint, no, there will be no problem with the color-matching because your car is brand new. As long as you go to a good bodyshop, you won't even notice that anything has been done.

Whether your insurance company fixes it and then goes after them for the claim, or their insurance company does it, take it to a bodyshop of choice and handle this properly! Good luck!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Racer

i would of pulled over that truck
Old 06-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Let's Go Pens

Thanks for the quick response.

I actually filed a claim against the landscape vehicle's insurance. If that fails I do have comp coverage and I am definitely getting it fixed.

My concern is regarding color matching since the paint has the pearl effect?? Also, can dentless services color match??

Can't post pics now, will do later..

Good News going through the others insurance. Don't worry about the paint, this was my biggest fear too. They will color match it perfectly, I was nervous as hell, especially since I just got the car 3 months ago. They repainted my entire front end and it came out looking like it just rolled off the show room floor. Make sure it's a reputable shop. If your unsure, you can always find a few places and look them up through the BBB.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

If it were my car, I'd do whatever possible NOT to repaint a body panel. If the dent can be pulled out and the paint chip can be touched up and it's not noticeable, it'd definitely be the way to go for me. If the chip is minor, touch up paint can be almost impossible to detect with proper techniques.

A repainted panel may have very close color match (Notice I say very close, because it will never be 100% match.) but it is very difficult to hide the side effects of the repaint itself, such as rougher edges, paint oversprays on places that is near impossible to clean, etc. If the body shop can't pull the dent cleanly, they will have to replace the door, too and this could be overkill for a minor damage. If they replace the door, you'll lose the VIN tag as well...

If it were my car, I'd like to retain my original paint and panels if it's possible. Just my $0.02.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:47 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
I just got my rear bumper repainted from a minor fender bender. Also had one small door ding fixed at the same time. The repair might not be perfect but it's darn close.

I can't see where anything is different at all. My body shop called a paintless dent guy for the ding. After he left they color sanded it for free.

As others said go to the best repair shop you can find. One that guarantees their work for life.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Acuras Only in

I feel your pain bud ... someone scratched my wife's Lexus R400H when she was shopping at the Mall this past weekend ( what else ? sigh ... ) and now I'm scared to take my type-s to the public, unless I have to or know the place well. I also took some users' advise by lowering my comp ded. to $250 now. Definitely go to a good bodyshop to get it fixed. It will be looking like a brand new toy.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:31 AM
RacinLife

See if you can trade out the body work for landscaping.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
where i purchased, they gave me 3 free months no charge any dents and chirps. call your dealer to see they have that. also with a VIP card, free oil change first months.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:10 AM
RacinLife

I've heard squeaks and rattles but no chirps yet. I hope my warranty covers that.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Drifting

I hope you can collect from the landscape company. Try to get it repaired without painting if possible. If you do have to get the door painted..all I can say is what happened to my car. I got a dent in a parking lot on the driver door when an old lady backed into the door. Her insurance paid for everything including a rental car.
The body shop pushed out the dent, but still had to paint the door. They tried to blend the paint into the rear door and front fended but it wouldn't match properly. (Anthracite Metalic)
I told them I wanted it perfect...so they ended up painting the whole left side of the car...including the strip along the roof. It's PERFECT!! I've gone over the car literally with a magnifying glass...and can't see any difference even in the texture of the paint (orange peel). They can fix it..but it's expensive....the cost was over $1000 for a "dent". I didn't care....her insurance paid everything. Just find a good body shop.....everyone told me to go where the rich people take their expensive cars....which is what I did. They had the latest State of the Art Shop....including a dust free paint/bake room with the best filters I've ever seen in any body shop. Shop carefully for the body shop...it will make all the difference in the results.