Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New '06 owner here....just a couple quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 218 Posts
New '06 owner here....just a couple quick questions

Hey everyone. Hopefully I'm not breaking any forum rules with a "new car/member" post here but I'll try to keep it short...

Greetings from Bimmerforums (mine died an untimely death), though I am fortunate enough to be receiving an '06 TL 5AT from the old man for cheap here within the next week or so. Black paint, black trim, black leather....Navigation, ~170k miles. It has been meticulously taken care of, mostly all highway miles. Coincidentally, my dad is the electrical engineer that designed the LED taillights Honda/Acura implemented starting in the 2006 model of the TL so if any of you guys happen to have questions regarding the electrical circuitry of the taillights feel free to ask and I'll try to help you out the best I can. I'm getting off topic now though...

Anyhow, I was simply wondering what my "go to" checks should be when I pick up this car. I know how to check my fluids, filters, suspension, all that good stuff....I'm more wondering if I'm sitting on a time bomb transmission, or if these cars have been known for failed valve cover gaskets...etc...random things like that.

My dad mentioned a "phantom battery drain" which after a bit of research appears to be the HFL, which I will promptly remove....but other than that I am simply trying to get my bearings with where I'm at with a car pushing 200k miles.

Thanks for any input, I cannot wait to both drive the car and be part of a sizeable and active community like this one is!
Old 03-01-2017, 07:54 AM
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 447 Posts
Outside of basic maintenance which you have stated already....it is the transmission and the LCA bushings in the front end which are the next "more" common issues these develop.....assuming the timing belt services were done around the 105k mark. Read up on the transmission pressure switches and fluid maintenance.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jackass
Outside of basic maintenance which you have stated already....it is the transmission and the LCA bushings in the front end which are the next "more" common issues these develop.....assuming the timing belt services were done around the 105k mark. Read up on the transmission pressure switches and fluid maintenance.
Sure thing, thanks for the input!
Old 03-01-2017, 09:44 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I just recently purchased an 06 TL 5AT with 100k miles on it in October. Currently sitting at 106k.

I've posted this in nearly every thread of similar discussion. As reliable as the TL's are, ours are now 10 years old, so issues are going to start popping up.

In the roughly 5 months I have owned the car, I have had a few things go wrong that needed replacing:
  • Rear bank O2 sensor went bad the first week I had it (free under dealer goodwill)
  • Battery died the first 10 days I owned it ($220, went with AGM battery from Autozone)
  • Starter died about a month ago ($150, re-manned from Advanced Auto)
Replacement items:
  • LCA bushings were torn. Only item I paid to have replaced. Labor was $240, $90 alignment, and ~$80 for the bushings. Shop I used has a 2 year warranty on all parts and work they do.
  • Top Transmission Mount ($45, OEM)
  • APP Sensor ($145, mine was probably still good, but car was a little "laggy" sometimes, this helped a lot)
Preventative Maintenance:
  • Tranny Pressure switches - DO THESE - (~$90 for the two switches, $45 each)
  • Tranny 3x3 drain and refill - DO THIS - (~$50, requires approx. 9 quarts of fluid, I used Honda DW-1)
  • Tensioner, idler pulley, and serpentine belt (~$70, used Gates kit from RockAuto)
  • Spark Plugs (~$50-60, used OEM NGK Iridium plugs)
  • Transmission Filter (~$25)
Mods:
  • Tein SAZ Coilovers w/ OEM Tophats installed from HeelToe Auto ($770)
    • Replaced these because stock struts were bad and I wanted the car lowered anyways.
  • Sound deadening for entire car (~$200)
    • Still need to iron out some rattles here and there. Well worth the cost
  • 4-way active sound system (A lot)
Needs:
  • Axles ($~500)
    • OEM axles are $500 a piece, Raxles are $220, so I will go with them. They are re-manned OEM axles with synthetic grease, so they are technically an upgrade over OEM AND cheaper.
  • Valve Adjustment
  • Misc. pieces replaced that are broken (~$100 to replace all that I have left)
I have gone a little crazy with my car. Take what I have done as the extreme end of things. I am very particular about how my car runs, drives, and looks.

I would replace the tranny fluid and tranny pressure switches. If you are worried at all about the tranny, do these ASAP and you will help increase its life. The tranny filter isn't really necessary, but I did it for piece of mind. The old one was filthy. If your tranny seems to jerk between first and second a little or downshift harshly, take a look at the top tranny mount. Mine was torn completely through on one corner. Replacing the mount helped a lot for me. I am going to look at the bottom mounts this weekend because I still have some jerkiness that I don't like.

Other items to look at are the front and side engine mounts. If the front one is bad, replace the side mount. Other than that, just replace items when they fail. I hope your car is solid for you! Once I get the axles replaced, I am hoping I can go awhile without doing anything besides preventative items.

Last edited by NoTLoud; 03-01-2017 at 09:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by NoTLoud:
nist7 (03-03-2017), TheSauceBoss (03-02-2017), treal512 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 07:15 PM
We Are Venom

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
solid advice notloud!
Old 03-02-2017, 07:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NoTLoud
I just recently purchased an 06 TL 5AT with 100k miles on it in October. Currently sitting at 106k.

I've posted this in nearly every thread of similar discussion. As reliable as the TL's are, ours are now 10 years old, so issues are going to start popping up.

In the roughly 5 months I have owned the car, I have had a few things go wrong that needed replacing:
  • Rear bank O2 sensor went bad the first week I had it (free under dealer goodwill)
  • Battery died the first 10 days I owned it ($220, went with AGM battery from Autozone)
  • Starter died about a month ago ($150, re-manned from Advanced Auto)
Replacement items:
  • LCA bushings were torn. Only item I paid to have replaced. Labor was $240, $90 alignment, and ~$80 for the bushings. Shop I used has a 2 year warranty on all parts and work they do.
  • Top Transmission Mount ($45, OEM)
  • APP Sensor ($145, mine was probably still good, but car was a little "laggy" sometimes, this helped a lot)
Preventative Maintenance:
  • Tranny Pressure switches - DO THESE - (~$90 for the two switches, $45 each)
  • Tranny 3x3 drain and refill - DO THIS - (~$50, requires approx. 9 quarts of fluid, I used Honda DW-1)
  • Tensioner, idler pulley, and serpentine belt (~$70, used Gates kit from RockAuto)
  • Spark Plugs (~$50-60, used OEM NGK Iridium plugs)
  • Transmission Filter (~$25)
Mods:
  • Tein SAZ Coilovers w/ OEM Tophats installed from HeelToe Auto ($770)
    • Replaced these because stock struts were bad and I wanted the car lowered anyways.
  • Sound deadening for entire car (~$200)
    • Still need to iron out some rattles here and there. Well worth the cost
  • 4-way active sound system (A lot)
Needs:
  • Axles ($~500)
    • OEM axles are $500 a piece, Raxles are $220, so I will go with them. They are re-manned OEM axles with synthetic grease, so they are technically an upgrade over OEM AND cheaper.
  • Valve Adjustment
  • Misc. pieces replaced that are broken (~$100 to replace all that I have left)
I have gone a little crazy with my car. Take what I have done as the extreme end of things. I am very particular about how my car runs, drives, and looks.

I would replace the tranny fluid and tranny pressure switches. If you are worried at all about the tranny, do these ASAP and you will help increase its life. The tranny filter isn't really necessary, but I did it for piece of mind. The old one was filthy. If your tranny seems to jerk between first and second a little or downshift harshly, take a look at the top tranny mount. Mine was torn completely through on one corner. Replacing the mount helped a lot for me. I am going to look at the bottom mounts this weekend because I still have some jerkiness that I don't like.

Other items to look at are the front and side engine mounts. If the front one is bad, replace the side mount. Other than that, just replace items when they fail. I hope your car is solid for you! Once I get the axles replaced, I am hoping I can go awhile without doing anything besides preventative items.
Thank you for the well thought-out and detailed list. I really appreciate it!
Old 03-02-2017, 08:39 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
No problem. Don't hesitate to reach out with any specific questions or issues you may have! I have already got to know this car quite well. haha
Old 03-06-2017, 12:18 PM
Living it up TL style

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
As for the HFL, it is only if the cap has gone out in your HFL module. Even then if you look it up on the vendors page there is a guy that does the HFL module fix for 40 bucks. It was well worth it in my opinion. But once again that is only if your HFL module has gone bad. If you fire it and switch over to HFL and continuously says connecting... then it is safe to say that it is gone or going. After i sent it off, had it repaired and installed i have had no battery issues since. But grats on your new TL.