3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEVER buy from Island Acura

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 05:36 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As I posted previously, I had issues with Island years ago. Never had a contract with them but I still didn't like their way of doing business. Unfortunately it's pretty typical with Honda/Acura dealers from my experience. I guess they have a good product at a competetive price and they feel they an get away with this crap. I hope you win. I wouldn't hold out much hope, though. These guys write sales contracts all day long. They know what makes them good or bad and whether they can win. Hopefully they're wrong in your case.

Most people would not pursue legal action. I'm probably in that camp. Too lazy to bother. I'm with you, though. We owe it to ourselves and other consumers not to let them screw us around. Good luck.

BTW- Have you tried Smithtown Acura? I was pretty happy with them when I got my car back in April. I paid $33,300 for a 5AT Navi. Love the car. There was little BS at the dealer. Pretty much this is the price, take it or leave it. The price happened to be better than anywhere else and the car was on the lot, just delivered the previous day. Others (I tired all the dealers on LI, even Island though I never would have bought there) told me it would take 21-28 days to get the car I wanted. We took it. Originally I wasn't going to get Navi. I signed for a non-navi car. The next day I changed my mind and called back. They hit me an extra $100 over what they had previously told me for the navi car. I thought about walking but decided to just eat it. I'm glad I did. Navi rules.

Again, good luck.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpecialFX

Most people would not pursue legal action. I'm probably in that camp. Too lazy to bother. I'm with you, though. We owe it to ourselves and other consumers not to let them screw us around. Good luck.
it's Buyer Beware these days.

in NY, by using BBB and CA you can document your case, and they may investigate their business practices further. if enough people complain they (BBB CA) will fine them for inappropriate marketing stragedies (aka false advertising). a few years back a few dealers on LI, NY got nailed/fined pretty good. Amityville Toyota and Hustedt Chevy both were fined heavily for using con'ing sales tactics.

sorry, BBB and CA cannot fine, the state did the fining in this case....
Old 10-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Well, with some research and a little help from some friends, I found out who the owner of Island Acura is. It is a Ed Soukop.

Now I just need to find a way to contact him.

I tried calling the manger today but he is not in yet. I left a message (since he refused to give me the owners name on Saturday) asking if he has spoke with Ed Soukop the owner of island acura and if he is going to honor my contract or not. That should shake him up a little.

I am going to try to call again soon and will keep everyone advised.

Well, I called again and a salesman answered. I asked if John was in. He said yes and I heard him talk to John telling him that "my name" was on the phone. I heard John say "hang up the phone". I then got transfered to his voicemail.

This guy is dodging me now? Total BS. I think he is "scared cause I dropped the owners name.

to be continued....
Old 10-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Wolf!

Originally Posted by argoldst
Well, I called again and a salesman answered. I asked if John was in. He said yes and I heard him talk to John telling him that "my name" was on the phone. I heard John say "hang up the phone". I then got transfered to his voicemail.

This guy is dodging me now? Total BS. I think he is "scared cause I dropped the owners name.

to be continued....
I think you can assume he has read this thread. Most Acura Internet sales depts follow it from time to time.

He smells litigation and is just doing the safe thing. If you rattle the sabre of litigation, you are going to cause the other side to clam up (if they're smart).

IMO: Just do it.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Sorry about the last post.. Ed was the previous owner. He has since passed.

The new owner is Jeffrey Soukop.

I made numerous strong calls to various people at honda and Acura service.

Got a call from John (service manager) telling me I have to stop calling everyone but we got disconnected (he was on a cell phone).

He is starting to get "ganged up on" by numerous people.

I think I will have the car today but I am not stopping. JUSTICE WILL PREVAIL!!!
Old 10-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Instructor

DONE DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!! SCORE ONE FOR THE LITTLE GUY!!!!!!!

I guess I finally got to him. He just called me and said he would honor the contract!!!! 05 tl 6speed navi for $33,050

I will be in my new TL by the end of the day!!!!

Just goes to show you, NEVER let a dealer take advantage of you.

If anyone has similar proplem, please let me know and I will be happy to assist (ESPECIALLY if it is with island acura)
Old 10-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Racer

Congrats. I had little faith that you'd get this resolved at all, much less so quickly. Enjoy the car.

PS - Be sure you do a thorough inspection upon delivery. Make sure everything is perfect before you drive off. And make sure you get all books, papers, record, sample DVD-A, etc.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:53 AM
Systems Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let us know how things go once you get the car. Don't forget the usual questions.. How are the Michelins? Headliner attachment, Driveline vibrations, etc.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Racer

CONGRATS!!!!

I'm glad to hear that you didn't get shafted on this one.

Have fun with the new TL!
Old 10-04-2004, 01:28 PM
I'm Baaack!

Congrats!!!!

Love to hear when the bad guys take one in the shorts!

I agree, check everything, lines in the hood, scratches on the wheels, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!!! Do not sign the "We owe you" until you've started at the tailpipe and crawled all the wway through to the aircleaner.

Then give the Sales Manager a hearty handshake and a salute as you drive off into the sunset!
Old 10-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Congratulations..

Never underestimate the value of belonging to a forum with 47,000 members dedicated to the Acura mark.

Sometimes a little nudging goes on behind the scenes which would cause a dealer to revisit a bad decision.

One never knows about these things......

In any event, Island Acura ended up doing the right thing- even if a little late.

All's well that ends well.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
OUTSTANDING OUTCOME. CONGRATULATIONS.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Oh, In my excitment and haste I forgot to thank everyone here for their help and opinions.

Thank you all so much.

Again, if anyone has a similar problem, I will be happy to explain what I did to help them out.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Cruisin'

Congrats on the outcome!

Not to distract from this thread. But, I've had terrific service and experiences at Scanlon Acura in Ft Myers. I've purchased four new Acuras through them in the past ten years.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Congratulations...
Old 10-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

i bought my 03 cl-s auto from Dave at Island Acura over 2 years ago and also had great problems with them. THe price was good but the service was crazy. I waited over 3 months 2 get my car b/c they claim it was a special order, I called them almost every other day. When I signed the contract he said 2-4 weeks the most. BULLSHIT. The car finally comes in and I am looking it over and notice that there is a gash in the driver side door sill and the jerk Dave takes touchup paint to my new car not even off the lot yet and fucked it up I wanted to punch him in the face. On top of that they gave me TL mats that didn't even fit, so I had to come back out and have them replace the mats and again to put the car in the shop to get the door sill repaired properly. I am glad the fool is fired. I don't recommend anyone dealing with Island Acura for anything
Old 10-04-2004, 03:50 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Sorry about the last post.. Ed was the previous owner. He has since passed.

The new owner is Jeffrey Soukop.

I made numerous strong calls to various people at honda and Acura service.

Got a call from John (service manager) telling me I have to stop calling everyone but we got disconnected (he was on a cell phone).

He is starting to get "ganged up on" by numerous people.

I think I will have the car today but I am not stopping. JUSTICE WILL PREVAIL!!!
Jeffery Soukop's daugther is in my grade in my school, FYI. She's a bitch and her borther, Kyle Soukup, is getting locked up for racing a corvette (or he was in the corvette, I don't remember) at 110 miles per hour while both of them hit a jeep side on and killed a newly married couple. The whole family is scum as far as I'm concerned. Kyle graduated either last year or the year before.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:54 PM
aw1
Pro

its unfortunate that 1 sales person represents that WHOLE dealer. was going to purchase the 04 TL from Island Acura about a month ago but decided to wait for the 05. this dealer came highly recommended from ppl in this forum. dont remember who i spoke to but this person got a attitude the day after we spoke about the 04 when i told him im going to wait for the 05. anyways, congrats on your brand new TL.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:00 PM
10th Gear

I dealt with David/Island Acura over the summer while shopping for our new car. He seemed like a nice guy on the phone but when I was ready to purchase he said that he sold my Anthracite/Camel TL "that morning." Yeah, sure you did.

Anyway, glad it worked out to your satisfaction. Enjoy the new car!
Old 10-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Disproportionate Member

Congrats bro! Now just make sure you take it somewhere else for service :-D
Old 10-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Pro

I appreicate everyone's feedback. I am sure it will turn out well because I am personally not willing to let them off the hook. I will sue and I will get what my contract states (even if I have to buy at another dealer and sue them for the difference in price)

Its just all the aggrivation and nonesense. There is really no need for this.

They DEFINETLY picked on the wrong person to F*CK with. I'm going to sue, going to post on every forum I can find, I get the newspapers to publish my story. When I am done, they will have lost 100 times more than if they just lived up to their end of the deal

Mark my words, I will either get this manager fired by the owner or get the whole dealership in trouble with Acura/Honda. They will regret even trying this junk with me.

I will post my sales contract/invoice so everyone can see it when I get back home (later today).
Ok, we know that you are upset, but what the hell are you talking about? What can you sue them for? The difference in price and perhaps the costs incurred by you due to not having a car during this period. (which would be difficult anyway)

The dealer will probably beat you in court anyway, and that will cost you more money, time and aggravation. You are dreaming if you think you are going to get 100 times anything.

I'm sure your buddy Joe was fired for giving extremely cheap prices to people also. There is no way anyone will be getting an 05 Navi for under 34K in the first quarter the car is released. I am siding with the dealer on this one, you should have known it was too good to be true. Sorry.

I have had nothing but pleasant experience with Island Acura and the managers there. Sales dept was perfect and the Service Dept has been beyond my expectations.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:04 AM
Instructor

Sorry for bumping this thread up but I had to tell you guys what happened last night.

So I get to the dealer and the manager walks over all friendly like and appoligizes for not doing the right thing. I accept it but we all know that the ONLY reason he did it was because he was getting heat that I had to generate.

I take care of all the paperwork and then we go out to check the car. It is almost all perfect except for a small paint defect on the driver side rear door (actually where the door meets the car). At first I thought it was a scratch that someone used touchup paint on but it was super smooth and seemed to have a clear coat over it.

The guy said I could bring it back to service and have them look at it or polish it or whatever. Should I do this? WHat do you guys think?

Finally, for those of you in New York, I couldn't believe it but when I got home I got a call from cbs's SHAME ON YOU! I was ROFLMAO. I could not believe they actually chose my story. Now I have to call them back and tell them I got the car Man, it would have been great if I didn't get the car and to watch cbs go to down on the dealership. All well.

Oh, and for the person who asked, the headliner seems pretty tight and nice and the tires are michelens.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 AM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you post a pic of how the paint defect looks like?
When I traded in my 5at for a 6mt, I got a Anthracite first but there was a paint defect on the driver side fender by the wheel. It looked it was touched up but it wasn't because it was also super smooth and had a clear coat over it. Looked like it was caused at the factory. Well the dealer gave me a new 6mt instead.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92405
Old 10-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Banned

I still think you should give CBS your story. Maybe they will still air it.

BTW, YOU DA MAN!
Old 10-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Racer

Maybe you could try a little rubbing compound and see if it'll buff out. I had some swirl marks on the front left fender that I didn't notice when I picked up my car. I took the car to a detailing place I always go to and they used a small amount of compound and it buffed right out.

SIDE NOTE: It is not a good idea to compound a brand new car, however a very small amount should be fine. This came directly from the manager of the detailing place.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:55 PM
Racer

Yes, I was told by two different salesman and the manager. Funny thing was that I actually talked to him last Monday (6 days ago) and everything was great

I even offered to have the manager call David while I was there but he wouldn't do it.

They are REALLY SCUM!!!
Maybe they fired him for not squeezing enough profit out of the ups?

Old 11-01-2004, 12:35 AM
Awesome to the Max

you should've taken him to Judge Judy
Old 11-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by terse
you should've taken him to Judge Judy

i prefer joe brown. j/k
Old 11-28-2004, 07:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I just found this thread while looking for something else and would also advise against that dealer. I had a similiar problem when i bought my car back in 2000. I went to Rallye Acura instead where the service was a lot better! F island acura !!!!!