Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negatives of keeping a car outside?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:01 AM
07 NBP TL Type-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so after much delay, I will be getting my Type S within the next week or two, and hopefully before saturday.
My question is what would be bad about keeping it outside with a car cover on it at all times? My household has 2 cats and we feed them and have their litterbox in the garage. Im afraid that if I keep the car in the garage they will climb on the hood and trunk and scratch it up. Also, if I keep it in the garage with a cover on it, Im afraid they will feel like they are "slipping" and try to dig in with their claws, not good my friends.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Instructor

simple get rid of the cats.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 211 Likes on 130 Posts
screw the cats, put that car in the garage.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:08 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Time to relocate the litterbox. If you have a garage you should use it for the car.

Even the best car cover will scratch a car. A cover used when the car is a little dirty will cause damage.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:14 AM
07 NBP TL Type-S

haha trust me if I could get rid of the cats I would, but even when I joked about that it wasn't taken well . My next question was going to be exactly that though, "will a car cover scratch the car" and I guess you guys answered that for me so thanks
Old 11-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just put the literbox in the bathroom of the house or something. Instead of letting your $40,000 car get ruined from the elements outside, put the cat's box elsewhere. If you keep the car outside, with or without a car cover, it will slowly deminish the longivity of the vehicle.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Pro

I can't park my car in the garage but I use an all weather car cover. Custom made for our TL's. I only use it when my car is CLEAN. It's a pain in the ass sometimes when you're running late for work and you have to take it off. It's only 1 min out of your way to take off the cover. Best thing to use if you can't put it in the garage.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:59 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullpup
Ok, so after much delay, I will be getting my Type S within the next week or two, and hopefully before saturday.
My question is what would be bad about keeping it outside with a car cover on it at all times? My household has 2 cats and we feed them and have their litterbox in the garage. Im afraid that if I keep the car in the garage they will climb on the hood and trunk and scratch it up. Also, if I keep it in the garage with a cover on it, Im afraid they will feel like they are "slipping" and try to dig in with their claws, not good my friends.
Keeping it outside isn't a big deal. Sure it will be subject to the elements more than if garaged but I assume it would be used for work each day etc.? If so, the only time in the garage would be nights/weekends correct? Thus the actual time outside isn't that much more - and at times when the sun etc. effects are at their least. I place my TL in the garage as much as possible yet given the time it sits in the elements each day at work, I consider it "out" significantly.

What I do is keep the car waxed thoroughly and the tires protected etc. as best as possible. I cover the entire rear seat as well as rear deck with a nice matching blanket to minimize sunlight damage. I also apply the leather conditioner with UV protectant at least once a month if not more. I keep all other interior surfaces clean and protected with 303/UV protectant as well.

Bottom line, we do what we have to do with our vehicles. Not sure where you live but sure, a garage would keep some overnight snow/rain/crap etc. off, but the car will see most of it's outside damaging effects during the day anyway. If hazardous weather is forecasted you could always pull the cat box/cats in the house for the night to protect your car from mother nature. Or just place both in the garage.

You are right though, placing a thin car cover on the car will just cause the cats to "claw" more (moving surface). I have had plenty of cats on my cars both in garage and out over the years and hardly any scratches - only muddy/dusty foot prints. If it's cold, either on or under the hood is where they will want to be. I actually threw a"very heavy" quilt on the hood one winter while staying at a GF house that her cats couldn't claw through. I just had to kick them off and remove each morning.. No harm or foul.

Good luck - pick either WDP or Silver
Old 11-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
screw the cats, put that car in the garage.
do you have a basement... a little box can't take up that much space... u need to relo those cats...
Old 11-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 177 Posts
What you prefer? Your investment of your car or your kitten cat? >_<
Old 11-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Instructor

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun and profit
Old 11-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Instructor

i see a bad accient happening to that cat. evil.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:56 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, move their box......
Old 11-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you serious, cat or 40k car takes preference?
Old 11-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by calgary2800
Are you serious, cat or 40k car takes preference?
yes he is serious.
Why not buy on eof those fake wall and put that in the garage? make like a 4x5 area for the cats and the rest for the TL-S
Old 11-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Snax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Easy litterbox relocation idea....
when they have their peacefull and serene moment of tranquility emptying their tiny little bladders or expelling their tootsie-roll-esque cat poops, just hit the key FOB panic alarm... and every orafice will shut down and they will never want to go in the garage again... then you come in and soothingly relocate their box to a more 'car-friendly' location and look like a hero to all involved.... if that does not work, I vote for Noah82's idea.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Opium den in

Lol you guys are somethin talking about killing the cats hahaha just move the litterbox, so in the history of your house you havent left ANY cars in the garage just a litterbox sits there?
Old 11-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Old 11-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Move the cats to the wife's closet.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Racer

i think people on this board are just overexaggerating about keeping your car outside. yeah, its not going to be in as pristine of a condition if it was kept in a garage but its not going to look like crap either as long as you wash and wax it regularly. youll have to do that either way when you keep your car in the garage anyways since the car will have to endure the elements when you are parked in a parking lot or if youre out anyways.

im trading in my 06 TL as soon as my payments are up so im not going to go crazy about taking super good care of the paint when its going to be someone elses problem after im through with the car. even though i like my car to look nice, im not going to make major sacrifices. just wash and wax it if it gets dirty and take good care of it that way
Old 11-13-2006, 05:56 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Agree,
I guarantee that if you placed my cars next to someone that parked theirs in a garage every night you couldn't tell the difference. It's all in how you take care of it on a basic level. Heck, mine always look brand new after 5 years of ownership anyway. Using a garage doesn't make or break that outcome.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Racer

$35K car vs cat????? Move the litterbox in the house!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts

How about prying eyes and the ability of having it messed with is much more likely outside, even with a car cover. Covers also can attract the wrong sort who want to see what's being hidden.
Are you going to use a car cover in the rain? That's gotta be a huge PITA!
Old 11-13-2006, 07:04 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
i always used to get my dad's garaged all the time 10 year old hand me down cars since i was 16. i've had i think 3 or 4 cars that were previously garaged and went to being outside 24/7. when i first got the cars they were in great shape. after sitting outside in the rain and sun, not to mention snow every once in a while, the small stuff turned to shite. all the usual stuff like window weather seals, window regulators, paint, etc. that can be harmed by the elements.

i'm sure if you really took care of the car with regular wash and wax/sealant protectants you would be ok, but i really would recommend trying to garage the car especially if you already have one. i guess if you would be trading the car in in 3 years it wouldn't make a difference but if you are planning to keep it a long time the garage would no doubt help.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by A SiQ TL

How about prying eyes and the ability of having it messed with is much more likely outside, even with a car cover. Covers also can attract the wrong sort who want to see what's being hidden.
Are you going to use a car cover in the rain? That's gotta be a huge PITA!
this is going to be so true, watch people just key ur car becuase they are jelous, that happened to a member about 2 days ago at the mall. Also using the cover in the rain will be sort of a PITA. Lastly, having a car outside not only affects the paint, but electronics, interior materials and makes you car hotter/colder when not desired.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:42 PM
2005TL(6MT)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Are they inside only cats (and do the neighbors have inside only cats)? If not, I want to see your face the first time you catch them sitting on that nice warm hood of yours!!!!!!

Been there many years ago, it's very frustrating! And don't scare them off either! Their traction control will activate and leave lots of tracks on that slippery polished surface.

You could get the optional Acura guard dog to put in the garage with the car. It will solve that problem but give you others.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:41 PM
07 NBP TL Type-S

haha guys the "kill the cats" "nuke the cats" or "lose" the cats are not options. My ordeal is that I am in a small temporary house while my permanent home is being built. It's in a nice neighborhood so I dont think I have to worry about anyone messing with it. We really have NO WHERE else to put the litterbox being that it is a small, two bathroom, 4 bedroom house for a family of 7. I think I will just try putting it in the garage and keep the cats out as much as possible, but if they ever mess with it I'll promptly start to keep it outside. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:58 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
the fact of the matter is that even if you put it out side youll just end up with stray cats on it as is the case with me (dont have a garage) got 2 cats in the house your best bet is to relocate the litter box but i take it you really dont like cats and the idea of haveing them in the house bothers you as well you should park your car in garage with or without cover up to you and you should get there claws capped (not declawed) that way they cant scratch it up and only leave paw prints which a quick car duster will take care of
Old 11-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Racer

okay here's an honest opinion because it comes from experience. in my neighborhood, there are a bunch of little kiddies who like to play outside. sometimes, they like to play with little round balls and wooden long sticks (bats). haha i'm talking about baseball here. or hockey or SOMETHING in that sense. i used to like to pull in the driveway and go inside without parking it in the garage because i'd be leaving in an hour or so.

As far as weathering goes, I agree with most of the folks on here. it doesn't do THAT much harm on your car. I used to live in seattle and i had no other option but to street park that thing. i do keep it freshly zaino washed every other week. it still looks like it came off the lot just yesterday.

For me, it isn't the weathering that makes me thankful i have a garage. there are sooo many other factors. a big target for a bird to bullseye, a potential prize for a professional thief, a potential reason to get pissed off at the neighborhood kids. one time i was glancing out the window to check up on the car and i saw 3 of the boys and a girl standing behind it and one of the boys was making a motion of throwing his basketball on the car kinda like motioning to his friends "you dare me??" i calmly walked outside and said, "hey buddy...watcha guys doin?" the boy was freakin stunned...then i go on and ask "do you have 35 thousand dollars to buy me a new car if you break it with your basketball?" and then the boy starts crying and i'm sitting there all confused and calmly get in my car, start the engine and put her in the garage and from then on, it's always in the garage even if i'm home just to grab a quick bite to eat. all those factors you don't have to worry about when you're inside your house. i agree with csmeance...make a little playhouse for the cats that will be big enough for them to hangout and leave enough room for your TL. of course make the playhouse closed at the top so they can't jump up and climb out.

sorry this was so long, but i guess i just had alot to say. good luck man!
Old 11-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Advanced

maybe overtime the exterior will wear out more... only thing i've noticed is when one of the neighbor's kids put a big imprint of his hand on my hood covered w/ mud.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Car cover needs to go on a clean car or else you will have scratches. So I don't see the car cover as a solution unless you plan on washing the car everytime before you put your car cover on.

We keep my cats littlebox in the basement, and I even have a pet door on my basement door so we can keep it closed. They go thru the flap and down the stairs to do their business.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=4 bedroom house for a family of 7.[/QUOTE]

Either you got a lot of kids, or you're one of the kids. Either way that is a large family you got.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Yo BullPup... .....I know a guy who knows a guy.....
Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Ev an' Tec

Originally Posted by Bullpup
haha guys the "kill the cats" "nuke the cats" or "lose" the cats are not options.
To avoid those 2 cat-o-strophic situations, you also might want to keep in mind that sometimes in the winter, cats smell the sweet anti-freeze dripping out of a car and try to drink the toxic puddle. I don't know if it's an urban legend or if it's true, but it's one of those Heloise-type hints filed away somewhere. (Not that Acura's leak!)

So wherever you park it, inside or out, you oughta keep the cats away. (Arguably, if it's in the garage, you won't be affecting other people's cats.)

Some people have "outside cats", but I guess it's too late to train them, so you can garage the car!

(At least they won't be begging you for the car keys in a few years! Though there was a recent news story about a guy who dangled his car keys near a packrat in a National Park and then lost them -- and got a summons for it! )
Old 11-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Sell the cats to a chinese food restraunt. I would never leave my car outside if I didnt have to, and you have a garage, so put it in there.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:21 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Car inside. Cats outside.