3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some good opinions on my car situation. Which one do I sell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Need some good opinions on my car situation. Which one do I sell?

I will try to make this as short as possible. I have been a long time TL owner sometimes off and on and I have had pretty much every version of it (Type S auto, Type S manual, base, etc). Back in March I purchased a brand new 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland in mineral gray with saddle interior just like in all the commercials and its an amazing vehicle. With fuel prices in mind I ended up going with the V6 and although its does relatively decent on fuel, it lacks the fun factor that I look for in a car as you can imagine with 290hp in a 5,000lb vehicle. I should have went with the 360hp Hemi and been done with it! Anyway, a couple weeks ago I stumbled upon one of the cleanest used 08 Type S's I have seen and I couldn't stop myself from buying it lol. My wife thinks im an idiot and most of the time I tend to agree with her. I can never just settle and be happy with what I have when it comes to cars. So now I have the new Overland and this gorgeous 08 Carbon Bronze Type S that I really like.

Here is where my situation gets a little tougher. If it were up to me and money was no object, I would keep both vehicles. My wife has a paid off Accord sedan and I told her I would give her the Jeep and I would keep the TL and sell her Accord. Even though she loves the Jeep, financially right now its just not what we want to do. So with that out of equation, I must sell one of my vehicles and for the life of me I do not know which one to sell.

The TL IMO would be easier to sell and the cars condition speaks for itself, but I really enjoy driving the car as it handles much better and has significantly better acceleration. The TL-S's design IMO is timeless and looks better than most new cars. Unfortunately, it lacks in the new gadget department, overall roominess, and utility and that's the big thing that keeps me thinking about the Jeep. The Overland has every imaginable option you could want. Push start/keyless access, heated/power telescopic steering wheel, bi-xenon/autolevel/auto high beam HID's, adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, height adjustable air suspension, ventilated seats, rain sensing wipers, cross path detection, forward collision warning, pano roof, and the list just goes on and on. My wife said if I keep the Jeep I can consider getting myself into the V8 Overland and maybe that will give me the extra power than I enjoy in vehicles. I have test driven the Hemi and it sure does feel powerful as well as sound good. For those that might recommend it the SRT8 is not an option right now.

So to sum it up here are the key points.

TL Type S:
-Extremely clean and low mileage. Not too many left in this condition (25,500 miles)
-A little better on fuel (but requires premium)
-Amazing looks inside and out
-Cheaper insurance
-From a enthusiast driving stand point MUCH more fun to drive
-Much cheaper

Jeep Overland:
-Options even some Lexus vehicles wish they had
-Much more space and utility (we also have a baby)
-Also has great looks and amazing interior (surprisingly amazing for a Chrysler)
-Will be superior in winter even though we don't seem to get much snow here anymore
-Can consider getting the V8 version and updated 2014 model which has exterior and interior changes
-Very comfortable and smooth/quiet riding vehicle
-More expensive

So let me hear what you guys think I should do. I know opinions may or may not be biased, but at this point any opinion will help and I have no idea what to do

Here are a couple pics of each :-)

Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Sadly you will take a huge bath on the jeep if you got rid of it either way. Maybe a 10k price drop from what you just paid. Jeeps, or any Chrysler product does not hold value at all. The Acura does but it's also depreciated already. So it would sell for what you paid probably. The smart thing to do is suck it up, sell the Acura and keep the jeep. No SUV I going to have a fun factor unless its an srt 8 model.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
Wow, tough choice. I would say go test drive the 2014 model and see how you like it. Is it enough power for you and fun enough to drive on a daily basis? If not, go back to your routes and stick with the TL-S. Either vehicle is great and has enough room for a baby.

It's hard for me to just say take the Overland as I am not a huge SUV person, I'm more of a car guy, but the list of features does sound pretty impressive, but filling a V8 SUV gas tank doesn't sound like much fun.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:33 AM
flappy paddles

Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts
I would sell the Jeep. I'm sort of in the same boat though. I need more room and capability than what the TL can handle.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:33 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
If you don't have a lot of ownership in the Jeep (in other words, you bought it this year and put a relatively small down payment on it) then you stand to lose what down payment you put into it plus depreciation (so it might cost you a few thousand to turn it in, unless you can sell privately to cover the loan). At least this gets you out of payments on the Jeep. If you bought the Jeep outright, then you will be out the depreciated value. The + of keeping the Jeep is more utility and a longer warranty (I assume it's a 3/36 warranty), plus all the options you want. The downside wil be less mpg (unless the Jeep is comparable to the TL).

The upside of keeping the TL is that you're driving what you want to drive vs. what you have to drive, and overall, it'll be a less expensive vehicle to keep (and probably more reliable). It's sale is also dependent on whether or not you paid in full or financed it. Options wise, it pretty much has every thing including Navi and backup camera, but not Bluetooth audio (which can be added), correct? What does the Jeep have that the TL-S doesn't? That may help in your decision as well.

I'm a car person as well, and would rather have the TL, but that's just my opinion. I hate to rub it in, but the TL sounds like more of an impulse purchase, and now you have to cut your losses. The TL should be more saleable, especially on this forum for someone looking for a low mileage TL-S. You might actually get close to what you paid for it vs. taking a serious depreciation hit on the TL if you try to sell to a Carmax like dealer.

Another consideration since you're in Indiana is winter driving. What vehicle is better in the snow, assuming you may have greater snowfall than just a few minor storms (I assume the Jeep will win on this point).

Good luck in your decision.

Last edited by erdoc48; 11-18-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:37 AM
06 Anthracite TL

One more thing...the rationale for selling the Accord. How old is it, how much mileage on it, and would you be potentially looking to replace the Accord in the next few (3-4) years? If so, despite the expense, it might be worth keeping the 2 newer vehicles, vs taking a significant depreciation hit on the Jeep.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts
As much as I hate saying it, from your situation it would be wise to sell the TL. You have a kid and the extra room and bigger vehicle would be better in the long run.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Safety Car

Thanks for all the opinions so far guys.
A few points that I want to address here.

Besides me liking Type S's, the other reason I bought it was because I got an extremely good deal on it. Infact, so good I will likely make 3K on the car and thats even after taxes I paid. So losing money on the TL is not an issue, I would actually make money on it. My cars are so clean and well kept that every car I have owned I have sold to the first person that came to see them within 1 week.
As for the Jeep, I got a really good deal on that as well, but obviously since it was bought new I will take a hit on that. I paid $40,000 even plus a couple grand in fees and taxes. So around $42-43K out the door. Right now KBB says private party is valued at $41,300. From looking online and what dealers have them listed for realistic price would probably be $37-$39K. As of right now the newer Grand Cherokee's are holding their values very nicely. Mine is very low mileage still and in 100% new condition in every way. So the TL would make me money, and the Jeep I would be losing a few grand. Not great, but not horrible at the same time.

Someone asked what features the Jeep has that the TL doesn't. Well, the amount of options and features aren't even comparable between the two. Like I said in my original post the Jeep has everything and anything you can imagine. To name a few again: Adaptive cruise control (bad ass), factory remote start, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, height adjustable air suspension, Pano roof, keyless access/push start, auto leveling/smart beam bi-xenon HID's, rain sensing wipers, backup sensors/camera, cross path detection, forward collision warning, blind spot monitoring, power steering column, weather mapping, bluetooth audio, power lift gate, superior sound system, and probably other stuff.

erdoc48,
My wifes accord is a 2004 V6 with 90,000 miles. Overall near new condition, no issues ever and drives like a new car. She is more conservative than me and enjoys no car payment so that's her main reason for just sticking with her car. Letting her have the Overland would be great because I could still drive it as she is just a stay at home mom so its a win win for me, but as of now we arent really considering doing that ;-)

Last edited by JTS97Z28; 11-18-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:15 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Understood. Under the circumstances you describe, I'd sell the TL. As long as you're happy with the Jeep, it has all the options you want, full warranty, and you can essentially make a profit on the TL, the best money move would be to sell the TL, and sell it on the forums here.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
I agree with the majority of people and sell the TL. Even though it's a mint low mile example of a Type S you will still turn a profit. Nothing beats making money. If anything I would sell the accord as erdoc48 stated, since it has the most miles out of the bunch. That's if your wife and you can finically make that move. Don't forget with 90k on the accord you'll be needing a timing belt, water pump soon. As well as tires depending on how worn they are. Its something to factor into this decision as well.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Sell the Acura and keep the Jeep. Get the V8 to get that extra fun factor you're looking for.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
Sell the TL, keep the Jeep and Accord
Old 11-18-2012, 01:47 PM
06 Anthracite TL

I failed to mention that both the Jeep and the TL look great! Is the TL a 6 speed? I wouldn't mind having that myself if I was done with my TL.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 PM
I like turtles

Received 139 Likes on 99 Posts
keep the jeep. its the only option that makes sense.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
Here is my biased.

Sell the Accord. Let wife take over the TL. Keep the Jeep.

That way you have 2 nice low mileage vehicles.

But unfortunately, if you sell the TL based on your history you will buy another one if a year or so haha.

Tough choice. I have no real input. I would not have considered a Jeep purchase but it is a nice looking vehicle.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sauceja
Here is my biased.

But unfortunately, if you sell the TL based on your history you will buy another one if a year or so haha.

Tough choice. I have no real input. I would not have considered a Jeep purchase but it is a nice looking vehicle.

Well if I were to sell her Accord she would get the Jeep as she doesnt care for the TL and she loves the Jeep. And you are 100% correct regarding my history of buying cars and my wife says the same thing. She says what does it even matter because 6 months down the road you are gonna be looking at something else anyway.
As for the reasoning of buying the Jeep, well I have always been a fan, and then when they introduced the new 2011+ body style I became VERY interested. Even though its a Chrysler, the interior blows my mind! The quality and fit and finish is not something you would expect. Chrysler really stepped their game up with this vehicle. They had no choice, they had to otherwise they were gonna be history. The other main reason is value. There simply is not another vehicle that has so much to offer for the price. What other vehicle can you get equipped like a loaded Overland for the price? I think a similarly equipped Lexus or BMW SUV would likely be in the $70+K range. I paid $39.6 before taxes for mine. Sure, your not going to get the same service experience as you would in a Lexus, Acura, or BMW, but I mainly bought the vehicle for the car itself, not the dealership experience.

Anyway, I appreciate everyones opinion it really does help. I will talk to the wife again about maybe selling her Accord and keeping the other two cars. I drove the Type S to work today and loved it. Then I came home and looked at the Jeep and the interior and its pretty amazing. Ok well im still at square one lol

Here are a few more pictures of the cars

Here is a picture of the Jeep with OEM 2012+ SRT8 wheels installed.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
You're going to regret either decision.

Spend less going out and eat, movies, etc... Unless you have a car that you favor over the other, keep them both. Financially it may not be too smart, but YOLO.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceja
Here is my biased.

I agree with selling the Accord as the best decision with all the data presented- this is the best 'worst' decision you can make since anything you do is kind of bad in some regards.

You really should not have bought the TL in the first place even though it was clean, nice and such. A good deal (for some) doesn't make it a good deal for you- remember that. I would sell the Jeep when it gets out of warranty because that thing will cost you in the long run.

Your troubles began the day you bought the Jeep- should have skipped that decision no matter how luxurious the Jeep happens to be- it's still a Jeep and has a crappy track record for reliability.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28

Here are a few more pictures of the cars

Here is a picture of the Jeep with OEM 2012+ SRT8 wheels installed.

Keep these 2 haha.

I agree with Jeep but it does look better than any other cherokee I have EVER seen.

I can't tell you how many times I have contemplated selling my TL the last year. Wife thinks I am crazy. I feel your pain bro.
Tough decisions ahead for you.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
No quoting pictures
Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,241 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I agree with those that said sell the Accord. You can use the funds to pay down the principal on either of the other cars.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dump the Jeep. Chrysler products are unreliable, therefore, it's going to depreciate like crazy. The TL is older so it's already gone through the huge dip in depreciation and the Jeep is going to keep diving. Believe me, even though you like the Jeep now, a little ways down the road you'll wish you kept a Japanese car.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Safety Car

Well I don't know if all you guys speak from experience, but everyone one of the Jeeps I have owned have been 100% problem free. I have had two old Cherokee XJ's that were bulletproof, an 05 Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi, and a 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8. The 2012 Overland has 8,600 flawless miles so far, and my mom has a 04 Grand Cherokee with over 100K that has been problem free.
So, my point is I am not concerned with reliability :-)
Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Sorry about this, but that's a sweet TL. Find a way to make the numbers work to keep them both and sell the Accord. At least once they're paid in full, you have 2 nice vehicles that will carry you for quite a while.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
I would sell the Accord and keep both of the car since the Jeep is new and so does the TL-S you won't have to worry about any problem soon. My question for you are why selling the TL when you probably will buy another TL-S in the future? I would keep both car and letting that 05 Accord go and now you can enjoy the luxury of both car.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
Well I don't know if all you guys speak from experience, but everyone one of the Jeeps I have owned have been 100% problem free. I have had two old Cherokee XJ's that were bulletproof, an 05 Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi, and a 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8. The 2012 Overland has 8,600 flawless miles so far, and my mom has a 04 Grand Cherokee with over 100K that has been problem free.
So, my point is I am not concerned with reliability :-)
I imagine if you own a vehicle for just a couple of years, the experience could be nice- even for a Jeep. I'm speaking from the view point of owning a car for 5 or more years- which I wouldn't do with a new Jeep. Looks like you sell every 3 years so what's good for you probably wouldn't work for me who owns cars a little longer. The Jeeps have improved over the years and are very nice, but they don't have '4-Runner' reliability or resale yet.

Anyway, good luck enjoying your newer vehicles. The Accord should be a slam dunk for selling.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:28 PM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts
sell the accord.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Type Sour

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts
Keep the Type S for weekends and the jeep for daily driving. Sell the Accord, it should sell fast it's a Honda
Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 AM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
No quoting pictures
Those pictures are worth quoting once. The man has some nice vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
Redsand353 (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 07:08 AM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Wow. The interior of the Jeep looks amazing.
Add me to the ''sell the accord'' list.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 AM
Drifting

Received 664 Likes on 539 Posts
Yea, sitting in that Jeep's interior wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. They did a really nice job. And the rims you added look pretty badass too.

If the whole point of this is to make financial sense, tough to argue not selling the TL since you'll turn a profit. If you change your mind in a few months, you could always buy another one anyway!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KJ TL-S
If the whole point of this is to make financial sense, tough to argue not selling the TL since you'll turn a profit. If you change your mind in a few months, you could always buy another one anyway!
Yes, financially selling the TL would be best. As for selling the TL and maybe buying another one down the road just doesn't make sense. Reason being is the one I currently have is IMO a rare find and would be the one to keep. Low mileage 08, one owner, and basically as perfect as they come. So I think it's either keep this one or I'm going to retire the TL's from my fleet for good. That's why I want to make sure I do the right thing. The wife and I are still discussing the idea of selling her Accord so maybe it's an option we will see.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
So I think it's either keep this one or I'm going to retire the TL's from my fleet for good.
now we all know that is not possible for you.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You'll take a bath on the Jeep. I think your only real choice is to find a way to keep the TL and sell the Accord, or sell the TL. I would keep the TL if you can.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Yes, financially selling the TL would be best. So I think it's either keep this one or I'm going to retire the TL's from my fleet for good.
watch member here in AZ will see a thread of you buying another TL-S down the road just like before.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
dump the jeep while you still theoretically can. you dont want to take a dive with that jeep.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 PM
07 WDP TL Type S

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I would go ahead and sell the accord since it is getting older, big maintenance items are coming up soon, and you'll end up having two relatively new and very nice cars if you keep the other two. This way, in the long run you (hopefully) wont need to switch cars for awhile. (provided that you can control your urges)
Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have to agree with selling the accord and keeping both the TL and the Jeep.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 PM
TL-S

Received 413 Likes on 366 Posts
I feel like there is a reason why you keep buying the TL.

If the money isn't an issue, Stick with the TL and the overland if AT ALL possible. Sell the Accord.

If money is more of an issue, stick with the Type-s and the Accord and get the most amount of money out of the situation and sell the Overland. It sounds like it would just be a depreciating lawn ornament anyway since you mentioned your wife is a stay at home mom. That job is better suited for an Accord.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
I would say keep the TL-S and sell the Accord.

Seems like you have a thing going for the TL-S.

Quick Reply: Need some good opinions on my car situation. Which one do I sell?