Sponsored by:

Need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
^sigh.

performance does matter. Jayson, this is my first performance oriented car. stock 230whp is the most I ever had. it's a sporty entry-luxury sedan.
its the perfect combination of power and luxury.
if you dont care about power, why didnt you choose a 4 cylinder vehicle?

Jayson, All I'm saying is that I should have waited a year to buy the better performing of the 2 at the same price point with the same miles.

*edit
it seems like you want the better value.
which in turn means that you're not in a financial position to purchase the better performing vehicle.
I'm willing to pay for the cleaner car.(i bet my leather is nicer than yours, even tho I did over pay.)
I can appreciate that this is your first performance oriented car. I guess Im wanting to step down a little from what I currently have. My SHO makes almost the power these cars do...
Old 05-16-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^a base 6mt TL will whoop a tl-s auto any day, sans s/c.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
One of things not being factored in is depreciation. You can't compare price-to-price without accounting for the fact that an '07 TL-S is two years newer than (for example) a 2005 Base/Sport.

Factoring in mileage, that will move the depreciation one way or the other, but if both cars are "average" mileage, the 2007 will have about 24,000 fewer miles on it. Age and mileage matter when setting price.

Overall the price differential is the "goodies", "badge-factor", PLUS the difference in depreciation. Justin that's one of the reason why the TL-S in now the same price you paid - it's a year older.

BTW - generally, I agree that a $10k premium (say $16k vs, say, $26k) is too much.

Although, I'd sell my 5AT for $26k in a heartbeat.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:10 PM

^i understand that.

but i already spent 23k on the base.
if i had to do it over again, i'd spend the 23k on the tl-s a year later.

I didnt need a car a year ago. should have waited and saved for a year.
I'm in it for the long run, I dont plan to sell my car or to trade for at least 10+ years.

Last edited by justnspace; 05-16-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
^sigh.

performance does matter. Jayson, this is my first performance oriented car. stock 230whp is the most I ever had. it's a sporty entry-luxury sedan.

Jayson, All I'm saying is that I should have waited a year to buy the better performing of the 2 at the same price point with the same miles.

*edit
which in turn means that you're not in a financial position to purchase the better performing vehicle.
I'm willing to pay for the cleaner car.(i bet my leather is nicer than yours, even tho I did over pay.)

Well it just depends on your definition of performance. The TL performs exactly where a midsized v6 entry luxury sedan should. The IS350, ES350, Cadillac CTS, any other v6 sedan are all comparable. I'm not saying the TL is slow at all. It performs just fine... even well. And one of the reasons I chose it was because it was NOT a 4cyl. But I don't have any delusions that this car is a beast in the the TL or TL-s trim.

I guess I understand your point, and it makes sense because hindsight is 20/20. But this doesn't matter to the OP. He's looking at cars NOW. And my point is, that right NOW, for what he can get the two cars... the TL is just a better value. The extra $8k+ for the TL-s just isn't worth it. But I'm saying this all from MY OPINION. To some people it is worth it and that's all that matters. I was just offering my opinion for the OP.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:15 PM

^thanks for the debate, Jayson.
very enjoyable.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Pro

^sigh.

*edit
In response to your edit. Of course I want the better value. I believe anyone who is smart with their finances would. I'm not going to debate with you about my financial position, but I can promise you that I am far more than financially capable to purchase a FAR better performing luxury sedan the the TL or TL-s. I already gave you my reasons for getting what I got for the amount of money that I spent. And I wouldn't be so sure about your leather. My car is in pristine condition. Any wear to my car is due to the fact that I drive 40,000+ miles a year.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Cruisin'

^a base 6mt TL will whoop a tl-s auto any day, sans s/c.
I guess that missed my point. From what people are saying I could get a base TL and slap a blower on it and still have paid less than a Type S.

Second, that completely depends on the driver. If you suck at shifting or miss a shift than you're screwed.. Im only saying that from personal experience....
Old 05-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CanaryGT
I agree with most of you guys. It would be nice having a MT Type S for the fact that I wouldnt go all in on performance mods (well I tell myself that but we'll see). The only thing that gets me is that I could get a Base TL MT, Slap a SC on it and I would walk a Type S. And before people go saying, Well yeah, slap a SC on a Type S and it would blow the doors off the base... Im talking pure dollar for dollar performance. The largest thing that makes me want a Type S is simply the Look. Coming from having a bone stock GT mustang and putting on aftermarket body pieces and completely overhauling the motor, I can personally say that although I love to do the work.. Sometimes its too much.
Yeah, I think you and I have the same view point for the most part. While I like the TypeS, I would rather save the extra money and maybe do a few mods. In either form I think the TL is a nice car that performs decently.

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
One of things not being factored in is depreciation. You can't compare price-to-price without accounting for the fact that an '07 TL-S is two years newer than (for example) a 2005 Base/Sport.

Factoring in mileage, that will move the depreciation one way or the other, but if both cars are "average" mileage, the 2007 will have about 24,000 fewer miles on it. Age and mileage matter when setting price.

Overall the price differential is the "goodies", "badge-factor", PLUS the difference in depreciation. Justin that's one of the reason why the TL-S in now the same price you paid - it's a year older.

BTW - generally, I agree that a $10k premium (say $16k vs, say, $26k) is too much.

Although, I'd sell my 5AT for $26k in a heartbeat.
That's exactly my point. I was considering depreciation, and an 05 or 06 base TL has already gone through a lot of that depreciation whereas an 07 or 08 TL-s has a fair bit more to go through. That would make the base TL an even better cost savings. TODAY, do you want to spend $10k more for a TL-s than a base TL, even if it's two years newer? I sure as hell don't. There are too many nice, low mileage base TL's out there for a great buy to spend $25k on a car with quad exhaust and 20+ more HP.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Pro

I guess that missed my point. From what people are saying I could get a base TL and slap a blower on it and still have paid less than a Type S.

Second, that completely depends on the driver. If you suck at shifting or miss a shift than you're screwed.. Im only saying that from personal experience....
Truth in this post. All over the place.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You are talking about an older base TL for only 15k right, like 04-05? There isn't a huge difference in price between the base and Type S for the same model years. I am a new owner of an 07 Type S, just got it on Friday, and for me the biggest draw is just the overall appearance and comfort. I have no intentions of modding it, especially for more power being that it is fwd. My last car, Legacy GT, which got totaled last week would beat my TL-S in a race and the AWD was great, but aside from that the TL is much more refined and upscale. I think if you are looking for a car to race with(exaggerating), you should look elsewhere.

So if the price is somewhat close, I'd say yes wait and get a Type S, if the price difference is that great, it is probably just the person or dealer trying to squeeze a lot more out of the Type S price than they should. If you can get a great deal on a base model because they are in supply, by all means do that, nothing wrong with saving money.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Cruisin'

I agree, but if you read but I already have a car that is faster than a TL-S. Im not looking to go 11 seconds like my current car. Im looking for something that at least runs a solid 13. That too me is a fun, quick DD car.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I agree, but if you read but I already have a car that is faster than a TL-S. Im not looking to go 11 seconds like my current car. Im looking for something that at least runs a solid 13. That too me is a fun, quick DD car.
Yeah I did see that, I just figured it was a rough driving car for daily use. Since you have a runner already, personally I would just get the best deal possible which sounds like the regular TL. I think those of us who are saying get the Type S is coming from the perspective of only having one car, so you try to get the most out of it. You have the luxury of having two.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Cruisin'

That is something I agree with. I appreciate all the information. Its a big decision and its something that I will take my time deciding. You guys have been very helpful, I hope to become a very active member here ( although I already moderate on my mustang forum :P )