Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need quick advice. Totaled my 2000 TL and need to get into 2004 fast

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 04:40 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need quick advice. Totaled my 2000 TL and need to get into 2004 fast

On Friday my 2000 TL was broadsided. Ironically, I had a quote from CarMax just last Saturday as I had considered a new 2004, AT/Navi. I'm no claims adjuster, but the car appraised for $11,500, and the whole drivers side was torn up, along with the front and read bumpers. The body shop also says I have major suspension damage, as the left front tire was driven under the hood. So, all that said, I really am expecting (hoping) the insurance company totals the vehicle. Which leads to the problem.

With all I am reading on here, the 2004's with Navi seem real hard to negotiate on. And I need a car quick, as I'm guessing the $30/day for a rental will go away as soon as the insurance company hands me a check. I'm in Atlanta, and went to all 5 dealers here yesterday. There was only ONE Navi in the whole city, and they would not sell that (AND it was at the dealer I bought the 2000 from). They are all telling me MSRP and mid to late March until it comes in.

I'm going to try some of the dealers mentioned here (Montclair, Goodson, Rick Case, ...) I can hop a flight out of Atlanta to about anyplace fairly cheap and still come out if the deal is right.

Any advice on other dealers who will negotiate and can get me a car relatively quick are appreciated. Or any other advice on what to do if the insurance company does not total mine.

To top it off, the guy that t-boned my lied to the police and said I ran a red light while he was turning left. Absolutely a lie, I had a green and he just decided to try and beat me across the intersection. When I say what he was doing, I cut hard right to avoid him. He plowed my with the nose of his van right into my drivers side door, and knocked me into another car sitting there. To beat all, the police did not issue any citations, as there were not witnesses, and it was my word against his. So now I not only am forced into a new car, I"m likely out my deductable and my rates will go up with Travelers, even though clearly it was not my fault. My only hope is that Travelers wins in subrogation with his company, but I'm thinking that is tough without a police citation. I guess I must have hit him with the side of my car? Tough thing to do.

Thanks for reading and advice.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:56 PM
Racer

Man, what a bumb deal. My wife was in a similar situation. She was broadsided by someone over the line, but the police would not issue a citation to the bumb. I hope every thing works out all right for you.
I bought in the Atlanta area, and paid list (but no extras) for my 6MT NAVI in the color I wanted right when the TL's first came out. It took about 8 weeks. If you can't find someone to deal I would look at ordering one to your specs and rent a basic set of wheels until it comes in. (PM me if you want any info on my deal.)

Good luck.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:59 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear your loss. I hope you will come through with a new TL withought any increase on your insurance.

I think it was other guy's mistake. He sould have yielded if he was making a left. Did he turn on left arrow or solid? You can argue on that point I guess if it was solid, if it was arrow then all the best.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:16 PM
The stickiest of the icky

hey that sucks pretty bad. i might be able to help you though. i would definately suggest coming down to miami, a cheap flight plus we have 4 or five acura dealers within 30 minutes of each other. i was at Esserman Acura yesterday and was looking at the 04 TLs. they have about 5 in stock, i think 2 or 3 with nav. They are all Manual, if that is what you are looking for. I know they have at least 1 w/ navi, and im prety sure there are some more. as for colors, i saw a black, a white, a silver, and another color (maybe anthracite). i know that the silver was w/o navi, so at least one of the other 3 was w/ navi. sorry i cant remember, but good luck with that.

(btw, at esserman there was 1 or 2 other people there test driving the TL when i was there, and the salesman said they were selling like crazy. this probably means a) the ones i told you about will sell soon and b) your lookin at msrp or just under. i do know that theres a new shipment coming in feb 15, you should probably look into that.)
Old 01-25-2004, 05:37 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
but the police would not issue a citation to the bumb.
I dont think officer gives ticket in an accident, maybe not in cali.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:43 PM
Cruisin'

Keep in mind that a dealer may be able to get you one quickly even if they do not have your color combo/transmission on the lot.

I walked into a dealer here in PA on a Friday. We closed the deal and he traded vehicles with a dealer in VA. They had it trucked up on Sat and I drove away. If they have one to trade it is certainly possible.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by desijatt
I dont think officer gives ticket in an accident, maybe not in cali.
they give tickets. i got a ticket when i ran a red light and hit some guy in a camry
Old 01-25-2004, 06:45 PM
The stickiest of the icky

the thing about trading is that it puts miles on your car. of course if you need one fast like Doug then by all means a trade works, but if you can wait then its better to order one from the factory.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Cruisin'

I was a little worried about that also. However, they trucked mine up from VA. When I received the car it had 6 miles on it!
Old 01-25-2004, 07:10 PM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am an attorey. U need a personal injury attorney. The will sue him for free and prove he is at fault and your rates wont go up and you will recover bout $5000-$7000 for your "pain and suffering" trust me it is worth calling a PI attorney
Old 01-25-2004, 07:19 PM
Cruisin'

Doug,

Sorry about the loss. I got mine at Nalley, also MSRP but got a good deal on body kit & spoiler.

I test drove on Jan 4. Wanted an Anthracite/ebony MT6 with Navi. Also was told it would be March. When my salesman went to start the order, they found they and the exact model in production. In summary, I received my 04TL on January 16, less than two weeks and that included an extra day to install the add-ons.

So.... It is possible to get what you want sooner than the stated 8 to 12 weeks.

Good Luck
Old 01-25-2004, 08:37 PM
Advanced

Doug,

If you want a 6MT w/ Navi why not contact jphill0. He is selling his with 2k on it because he got engaged? Makes no sense to me but I think he said he was in Jacksonville, FL. and that could work for you.

G
Old 01-25-2004, 09:12 PM
Pro

Re: Need quick advice. Totaled my 2000 TL and need to get into 2004 fast

Originally posted by Doug Goss
On Friday my 2000 TL was broadsided. Ironically, I had a quote from CarMax just last Saturday as I had considered a new 2004, AT/Navi. I'm no claims adjuster, but the car appraised for $11,500, and the whole drivers side was torn up, along with the front and read bumpers. The body shop also says I have major suspension damage, as the left front tire was driven under the hood. So, all that said, I really am expecting (hoping) the insurance company totals the vehicle. Which leads to the problem.

With all I am reading on here, the 2004's with Navi seem real hard to negotiate on.
Dude, you're in Atlanta and there's a guy selling his NAVI 6MT in Jacksonville cheaply. Can you drive stick?
Old 01-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Racer

I agree with dulnev. I think you should consider the 31K a good offer. Not that your car isn’t worth more, but essentially it is a brand new car, being sold by a private party. Most people in this situation, who are going to spend 31K, are most likely to opt to spend a few more thousand for a brand new unused car. At least that's my feeling.

I remember reading your eBay listing about a week ago and feeling very sad for you in that you have to get rid of your new car. However I'm confused as to why? I remember your eBay listing went into some detail. However my opinion at the time of reading your post was to keep your new car and work out whatever the situation might be with your fiancé.

Obviously that comment might not be the right one, but I'm not in your shoes either. Good luck with whatever your decision.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Banned

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Maybe the two of you can work something out.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=70249

It can't hurt to inquire.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Instructor

Edited.

I read the other guys post and jumped to the end of this one--sorry.

jphillo on another thread is getting married--forced to sell his 04TL.

Check it out. Location NYC (is what his login states).

Good luck.

NathanSilver
Old 01-25-2004, 10:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by NathanSilver
Edited.

I read the other guys post and jumped to the end of this one--sorry.

Good luck.

NathanSilver
We are on the same page.

No pun intended.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Z Factor
We are on the same page.

No pun intended.
Seems like both pages.

A coworker I will be seeing tomorrow would be proud of you--he can sling pun(s) all day long.

ha ha

Good looking out...
NathanSilver
Old 01-25-2004, 10:46 PM
Banned

Seems like both pages.

A coworker I will be seeing tomorrow would be proud of you--he can sling pun(s) all day long.

ha ha

Good looking out...
NathanSilver
U 2
Old 01-25-2004, 10:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts

Isn't he in Jacksonville, FL?
Old 01-25-2004, 10:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by rets
Isn't he in Jacksonville, FL?
That is what his profile says.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Doug, I know you want a new TL bad (we all do) but I would wait until you hear for sure from the insurance company what they are going to do with your 2k. KBB is around 15k and unless your damage exceeds that figure they are liable to fix it instead. Of course, evenif they do you will want to consider a trade right away. Best wishes with whatever happens and glad you're ok.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

I am an attorney in Dallas, TX.

You need to tell them that they need to go ahead and total it out. Tell them that you want $$ for the depreciation value of your vehicle. Bottom line is nobody will EVER pay blue book value for a car that has been near totaled. You should just demand that they pay 20% of the blue book value extra for "dimunition in value" due to the collision

Send them a demand if they wont total it out. Then file in small claims court for $40 filing fee.

Then they will pay
Old 01-26-2004, 01:09 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry to hear about the bad situation, but -- as bad as it is -- I'm glad you're here posting on the board and not in hospital.

Congratulations on picking a car that saw you through a serious accident in one piece and I hope the next one goes smoothly.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Z Factor
That is what his profile says.
My bust--I was tired and complacent (thinking about my TL).

TL = Tender Lovin

NathanSilver
Old 01-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Racer

That's the way it is these days: police generally won't issue a citation unless someone is hurt or it is obvious who is at fault. I used to carry a disposable camera (now have one on my phone) in my vehicle in case of an accident so I would be able to take photos of the accident scene. That may have helped your case with the insurance company. I would still state your case (re:whose at fault) when you file an accident report with your local DMV.

Glad to hear you were not seriously injured.