Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need HELP!! Whether to buy TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need HELP!! Whether to buy TL-S

Basically i came down to two cars, infinit g35x and acura tl type s. In the begining i was positive that i wanted an infinit g35x because of its speed/AWD. Plus i love the design. After seeing TL Type S' on the road, i fell in love with the TL-S. I love the exhaust, the rim and especially the interior (very luxurious). Plus its got more room than g35x. My friends are saying G35x handles better, is faster, and its AWD. I've heard positive things about TL-s as well. It may not be as fast as g35x but it handles pretty well and the interior has higher quality material. The only thing thats stopping me from buying a TL-s is the fact that 09 TL is coming out at the end of the year. Also I've been hearing that TL-s has transimission problems. What if i buy the Tl-s now and the 09 Tl comes out with better tech and better performance. I'd hate myself.
I've had the 2nd gen. TL-S and my transmission died on me twice. My mother currently has a honda odyssey and the odyssey's transmission had to be replaced three times. So I'm having hard time relying on acura honda transmission. Just on this forum, its been reported that some of the members are already experiencing trans problem. I thought acura honda fixed the trans problem. I guess not. This gives me more reason to go for g35x. I havent heard anything negative about g35x recently. I guess the only thing negative about it is that it doesnt have much room in the back seat. I need a car with room in the rear seat.
I would highly appreciate if you guys can help me decide as to which car to go with. Thanks
Old 03-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Um....TL-S!

The G35 doesn't do anything for me. I looked at it when I was shopping just to make sure that I wasn't missing out on anything...and I wasn't. The styling doesn't excite me, the interior was nice but very cramped, and dollar for dollar the TL-S has more features than I could get for the same money with the G35.

The only advantages that the G35 has IMO is RWD and a few more HP....otherwise, it was a no brainer for me.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
the g35 is going to cost you about 4-5k more due to the fact that they will not deal that much on a g35 and the type s can be had for 33k before tax and title...
Old 03-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Intermediate

I've posted this other places so I don't want to come off as a broken record to other people on the forum...

but I bought an 08 TL base automatic Feb 1 2008

black on black... love the looks of it

handles great

however, it is a damn rattle trap. if you look elsewhere on these forums, you will find that just about every TL owner has rattles in their vehicle.

my vehicle has 5 distinctive rattles.

one is the steering wheel buzzing randomly

another is a constant clicking coming from the driver's side door while just driving along. I put dynamat sound deadening material in the door. did nothing.

then a minor rattle coming from around the stereo receiver

one coming from the sub that would occur at certain low frequencies regardless of volume. sub hitting top of deck. there was a service bulletin for this. they fixed it.

the most annoying of all is a constant clicking noise coming from the rear deck that gets worse as it gets colder. when it drops to around 40 degrees or below, becoming a creaking squeaking noise. dealer and I haven't been able to figure out where it's coming from.

my 2006 Accord 4 door 4 cyl had none of these problems. 22k msrp car.

this is a 34k msrp Acura in its last model year. I would have expected that they would have had time to address the above issues in earlier model years. obviously not.

if I had to do it over again, I would have kept my Accord, gotten a TSX (japan built), or perhaps a car in a completely different class, namely a Scion tC (I'd rather have a cheaper car without rattles than a more expensive one with rattles, personal preference I guess)

As for the G35, don't know about its interior quality. I'd read up on their forums perhaps?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Advanced

I was also deciding between the G35 and the TL Type S. I was pretty sure that the G35 was the car after test driving it a few times. But the Infiniti salesman was lousy when it comes to service. He acted like it was a burden on him to take me on test drives and he rarely returns my emails. I test drove the TL a couple of times with the first time in an automatic and did not like it. It felt like the power delivery was lagging as if I was driving a turbo. A month later, another dealer had a couple of 6MT's available and tested it. I love the car and the service at the Acura dealer was much better.

Anyway, the first couple of months of ownership was not pleasant. My car pulled left and it took them a couple of tries to finally correct the alignment. There was a rattle (turned out to be a loose wire rubbing against a bracket inside the dash) that took the dealer five tries to finally fix it. Of course, 3rd gear is an issue once in a while and last but not least...I do hear that pinging sound when I get it passed 3000 RPM up my hill. I am sure you have seen posts regarding the 3rd gear and pinging issues. But if you check G35 forum, you will see that there seem to be a lot of complaints about the engine burning oil and also clutch issues.

I like Acura (Honda) for their build quality and reliability. I have had 3 other Hondas before this and did not have any problems with those. My last one had over 160k miles before I sold it to my friend and it is still running like the first day I drove it off the lot and still have its original clutch. I have to say that my confidence in Acura (Honda) is shaken after this experience. It makes me wonder if it was a wise move to get rid of my Accord. Like the saying goes "if it isn't broken, don't fix it".

Besides those negatives that I noted above, the TL is a lot roomier, more luxurious, and it gets excellent MPG compared to the G. The quad exhaust is pretty hot looking also.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:05 AM
'08 TL w/Navi

Smile I agree with pres586

Below I'm quoting what I agree is similar in my case:

I have bought my 08 TL base automatic w/Factory Navigation Dec 31 2007 (for $31,600 before taxes/registration)

Carbon Bronze on black... love the looks of it! Just added factory spoiler and got tints done:

Click for pictures

"Handles great

however, it is a damn rattle trap. if you look elsewhere on these forums, you will find that just about every TL owner has rattles in their vehicle.

one is the steering wheel buzzing randomly

another is a constant clicking coming from doors while just driving along.

then a minor rattle coming from around the stereo

As for the G35, don't know about its interior quality. I'd read up on their forums perhaps?"

Rattles for Sure!

I've been driving it for almost 3 months now, from my personal observation if you warm-up TL for atleast 2-3 minutes (specially from overnight sitting) it's computer unit syncs up with key components... including suspension. So, when I practice this I endup getting less rattling (not to lie) it doesn't go away completely!

TL has better handling so stiff suspension, hence a little bumpy/stiff ride with a little rattling... but per my research overtime it adapts and loosens up for a smother & comfortable ride (with hopefully less/no rattling).

However, on the other hand my wifey got MB C300W which is FAR FAR better smoother ride. Smooth suspension, NO rattling inside/outside! Just another option if anyone likes?!?

Cheers
Old 03-20-2008, 02:11 AM
too many hobbies...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife has a 2004 G35X and I just got my 2007 TL-S a few months ago. Since you are looking at the X (awd) model, I assume you are talking auto tranny for either car (since the X doesn't come in a stick)?

My personal experience:
Interior room is comparable in both cars. We have a 15-month old baby and a 50 lb. dog so we use the back seats A LOT. Both cars feel very similar in both cars when filling with kids, dogs, etc. I think the G35 trunk is actually slightly bigger, but again very comparable. I would consider this a tie.

Quality: they are both very good, with both having their issues. The TL definitely has transmission and rattle issues. My wife's G35X eats brakes like crazy, but I read that Infiniti resolved that in 2006. I also heard the G eats clutches pretty fast too, but only on the 6MT.

Looks: I think the new (2007+) G35's look awesome. So does the TL-S. Toss up.

Suspension: I think my wife's G35 feels stiffer and more performance-oriented, which to me is better, but you may want the slightly more comfortable TL-S. I plan to upgrade my rear sway bar which I expect will make it more like the G for only $140.

Motor: The G's motor is a blast. VERY torquey and just wants to move right off the line. My TL-S requires a bit more effort to get the power, but the trade-off is that I get better mileage.

Wheels: I love the stock TL-S wheels. Plus the dark color is really nice when the brake dust gets all over them. It's not as noticeable as the G which just looks like the front wheels are ALWAYS dirty.

For me, I chose the TL-S because my wife had a G35 already, my previous car was a Honda (Prelude - had it over 10 years), and the better mileage. I also didn't like any of the G colors as much as the TL-S KBP too.

Bottom line - you can't go wrong. They are both awesome cars. I hope this helps you decide!
Old 03-20-2008, 05:49 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
the mods are going to close this soon because we dont do car comparisons in the main forum

my quick
I am 3 weeks from a year o ownership... I am running an aftermarket catback which has some drone and makes things like coins on top of each other clap together....

I HAVE NO RATTLES.... WHY? well as soon as I hear one I get out the glue gun and dap behind the plastic panel... the only rattle I had was the driver side vent which was a real easy fix...

some guys aren't diy type and take it to the dealer

ps. no tranny problems on the tl-s
Old 03-20-2008, 06:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've owned CL's/TL's since '01, for a total of close to 180,000 miles.
Never experienced the rattles, and love my '07 TL-S.

I doubt that the X would be faster due to power robbing AWD, and if you have the need for a back seat, the TL-S wins hands down.

Last, but not least, the long term reliability will probably favor the TL-S if you want to keep it long term.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
All car comparisons need to be in Car Talk in the Off Topic section of the forum.