Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help isolating rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help isolating rattle

I need help finding a very annoying rattle. Of course the dealership's technician barely agrees that he hears it. I've had it since day 1 on my 2005 TL, and it seems to be coming from the left heater vent. Other posts have mentioned the left radio tweeter assembly, but it's hard to determine where the rattle is resonating through. I have an appt. Tues. and want to help the technician with some input. Does anyone who has had this noise agree that it is the tweeter but sounds like it's the left heater vent?
Old 02-19-2005, 06:14 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While you're driving, when you hear the rattle, wedge your ingers between the vent and the door panel. On my car, these two pieces rub creating a rattling/vibrating sound.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmn4667
While you're driving, when you hear the rattle, wedge your ingers between the vent and the door panel. On my car, these two pieces rub creating a rattling/vibrating sound.
Thanks. Did you have it fixed or do you live with it?
Old 02-19-2005, 06:17 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

I will try to get it fixed next month. It seems to be worse on warm days.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmn4667
I will try to get it fixed next month. It seems to be worse on warm days.
I agree. Definitely ambient temp related. I guess the plastics expand and squeeze together. Very poor dash design. Too many individual dash parts.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:22 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Originally Posted by nednj36
I agree. Definitely ambient temp related. I guess the plastics expand and squeeze together. Very poor dash design. Too many individual dash parts.
Yes, I totally agree.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Acura Dealer Technician

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you take your car into the dealer I recommend driving the car with the Tech or manager and show them and point them in the direction of the problem.
I'm a tech and deal with rattles. If I drive with the customer and talk with them I can fix the rattle because I understand what their actual problem is instead of the
advisor writting on the ticket that there's a rattle in left front of dash.
Get them to here the noise with you then they have to find and fix it, not just your sensitive hearing(or your word against theirs).
Old 02-19-2005, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lbbrando
When you take your car into the dealer I recommend driving the car with the Tech or manager and show them and point them in the direction of the problem.
I'm a tech and deal with rattles. If I drive with the customer and talk with them I can fix the rattle because I understand what their actual problem is instead of the
Get them to here the noise with you then they have to find and fix it, not just your sensitive hearing(or your word against theirs).
Already went for a "pre-appointment" road test with him. He asked why I drive with radio off. I told him I don't always want radio on just for the sake of drowning out rattles. My rattle is intermittent. Happens more over consistent road seperation belts than hard potholes. When we went for the test drive I of course had trouble replicating it enough times for him to allude to the fact it existed. I can best duplicate it on accel/decel over dips and road grooves. Sounds like a series of rattles each time it happens. (Drives me nuts) Have you dealt with a "travelling" type creak/rattle in between left heat vent and tweeter? If so, what do you recommend for an exploratory procedure?

Thanks LB
Old 02-19-2005, 10:39 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Excellent advise! I always do that when I get warranty work like this done.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks for your advice...
Old 02-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Advanced

We had a rattle that seemed to come from the left vent also, turned out to be a plastic panel at the bottom of the dash, near where your left knee would be. Try tapping on this panel to see if it rattles. I wedged a couple of adhesive felt pads and it solved the rattle.

I'll try to post some pics later.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by golfingguru
We had a rattle that seemed to come from the left vent also, turned out to be a plastic panel at the bottom of the dash, near where your left knee would be. Try tapping on this panel to see if it rattles. I wedged a couple of adhesive felt pads and it solved the rattle.

I'll try to post some pics later.
thanks--I'll try it today.

Hittem' straight