Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help

I own a moroccan red 2007 TL Type S that we bought used two years ago. My wife was recently in an accident and the driver side tail light had to be replaced. As a result there is a color difference between the two. The old one looks a fair amount darker than the new one. We brought it to the shops attention and they said they spoke with Acura and were told that the color changes over time and becomes darker.

The old one looks to be a smoke color and the new one looks more chrome. It sounds like BS to me and it looks pretty stupid from the rear now. I like the darker color and want it to match.

I did some research on here and found an old post from 2009 where someone had picks of the same problem and I read the discussion about OEM vs DEPO tails. I looked at the back and they look to be exactly the same, there are no different markings on the new light.

Can a TL expert explain this to me?

Thanks,
Old 05-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
I think you're referring to the bezel inside the tail light?

There is a black bezel and a chrome bezel that I've seen on Type-S's. Not sure if they are both OEM or not.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am. I was told that on the Type S tails there are chrome, onyx and a gray. They claim that the replacement is exactly like the passenger side one that is still on it, but they look quite a bit different. Just want to be sure Im not being sold a bunch of BS.

It was repaired at a body shop in town and not at the Acura dealership. They offered to replace both, but I want ones that have the darker (almost like a graphite color) bezels.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:44 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
There is only ONE Acura OE part number for Type-S tails. Could there be, for some unknown reason, more than one color? I suppose. But a more likely explanation seems to me that the body shop replacement is not an OE part.

If it is, I'd tell them to get another one just like it so they both match. IMO, a 'finished' repair shouldn't leave you with two different looking tail lights.