Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help

I have narrowed my choices down do th ACURA-TL AND THE bmw 325I coupe with premium package. Total price around 33-35k.I have gone back and forth between these two. I looked the pros and cons with each one and maybe I could get some input.
Acura TL pros compared to the 325
1. Cheaper
2. Better interior - better leather
3. More horsepower - but uses more gas
4. More legroom in rear

Cons
1. Does not give you the 4/50000 mile free maintenance - which in the long run, with the maintenance of the Acura(you have to pay for it) could make th Acura value just as much as the 325 in 4 years.
2. Is front wheel drive, the BMW inline 6 makes the drive feel really smooth and in more control
3. Resale value - more people look more towards BMW and brand

These are the points I just can't figue out. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:50 PM
04 WDP Acura TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that if ur gonna get a beamer u better be able to get at least the 330. I thinks it's kinda stupid to spend over 30k for a car that doesn't even have 200hp. I think the TL offers the best quality-price ratio in it's catergory. About the gaz, depends how u drive, even though the bmw has less power, but if u push the engine it's still gonna take a lot of gas.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:11 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
I went through the same thing a few months ago. Take a good look through this forum and search the net for reviews. Look at Consumer Reports. Make your decision based on facts and your needs. Be aware that the 2005 3 Series will be a new design and have upgraded engines and horsepower. Be aware that BMW is going to charge you $1500 for a color other than white or black. How much are you really going to spend on service during the first 50K?

Download the spec sheets for the TL and BMW 530 from Road&Track and read them. IMHO the only place the TL and 3 Series compete is on a similar price. With similar equipment, the TL wins. The TL size and performance compares quite well with the 530, read the information. All cars mentioned are very good. Best wishes.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tvo7....On your $7 per hour salary, you may have a long wait before either of these cars emerge on your financial horizon.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:36 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Repecat
tvo7....On your $7 per hour salary, you may have a long wait before either of these cars emerge on your financial horizon.

Good catch Repecat! I didn't realize that this was our $7hr guy.

STAY OFF THIS FORUM AND GO TO SCHOOL. Right now, unless your folks are well off, you should be driving something inexpensive and thrifty IMHO.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO the TL should be your practical choice. Not only is the HP difference noticeable but the 325 engine is outright anemic! Insurance cost will be higher for the Bimmer I believe so make sure to check that out. And then there are ofcourse those outrageous parts/ repair bills down the road when the BMW reaches 60-70K plus miles.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Good catch, repecat, and now this thread is closed. It can only go downhill from here, and unless tv07 is at least the manager by now, he still can't afford the cars he wants. I would give you some points, but I just gave you some, so you will have to wait until I give enough out to give you some more.

This is why it is important to look at the date of the posting, which in this case was 8 months ago, and think about whether a reply is really needed and will be of any help after all this time.