Need advise/Cracked leather/Corporate Acura

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010 | 02:37 PM
Pro

Need advise/Cracked leather/Corporate Acura

What's up guys. Well..this is my first major problem with Acura. I know somewhat what to do and have a pretty darn good argument. However, I realize I do not know everything, and all of you guys/gals may have been exposed to a situation like this, so I need some outside thoughts.

Here's the situ. When I bought the car, I looked over a minor (very minor) literally the size of two of these || tear in the passenger side front seat. Well, it's gotten bigger, and it looks ugly. I went to the dealer for a number of things the other day and threw that on the list for them to check out. Everything else got covered, except the rip in the seat ($800 to fix, get outta here). So I was talking to the service rep who was pretty cool and he tried to help me out, but the manager was being a real douche, so it obviously wasn't going down. However, there is a twist to this story. There is also a CRACK in the leather on the left side of the seat that is quite obviously natural. I told them that this is ridiculous that the leather is cracking and the quality is crap. They had the nerve to tell me that since there is a slight tear in the seat, the crack cannot be covered. Here's my logic: If your method to fix the crack in the seat is to replace the seat cover, what's the freakin difference if you're going to replace anyway? They also told me "well, we can't fix half the seat" Ok, this is getting long. Cliffnotes!

-Took it to acura, told me its not covered under warranty.
-Asked if they could cover the crack in the seat, said no.
-"will not warranty half the seat because of the tear"
-Now I'm sticking to my guns and going after the dealership with corporate.
- Need everyone's help!

I'll post pictures in a bit, my camera just died.
Old 01-27-2010 | 03:12 PM

Ouch man that blows.

That sounds similar to the ordeal I went through to get my cracked dashboard replaced. My service representative was awesome! He was more than helpful and called me asap whenever any new developments happened. Unlike him, the service manager was a total douche. He insisted telling me that since my car was from Florida, the heat down there causes the dashes to crack. Having all of my family born and raised in Florida, and none of them ever having a cracked dash no matter the age or condition of their car, I knew he was trying to buy an easy way out. My mom's 1997 Dodge Intrepid doesn't have a single crack in the dash and it was bought brand new in 1996.

Long story short, after about 4 visits, and at least one call per day inquiring about my situation, Acura covered all but $550 of the replacement dash and labor.

Just stick it out and don't take no for an answer. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2010 | 03:43 PM
Intermediate

Interesting. I had cracks on the driver's side bottom cushion. The dealer repaired the leather and said it was under warranty. The took the cushion out and took it to a upholstery shop to have it repaired at no cost to me.
Old 01-27-2010 | 04:16 PM
Pro

I had the leather on my driver seat cushion replaced under warranty, when the service rep asked why I told him I didn't like the way it was wearing. I was expecting an argument, but he just said "OK".
Old 01-28-2010 | 01:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dmarcus48
I had the leather on my driver seat cushion replaced under warranty, when the service rep asked why I told him I didn't like the way it was wearing. I was expecting an argument, but he just said "OK".
Interesting.