Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice time for transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Need advice time for transmission fluid change

My 07 transmission service is due soon I have about 119 000KM... I called my dealer and they said its going to be 91$.. I asked the guy is it extra to take change the oil in the tourque converter he said yeah... and he had to look it up because he said no one usuallly asks for that :: ..So to do a "full transmission oil change" it going to be 231$... anyway... I am a noob so is what the dealer going to do for 231$ going to be the same as a 3x3? I assume the 3x3 is to flush out all of the oil in the nooks and crannies. Id prefer to go to the dealer instead of mr.Loob because i want to be sure the new Honda transmission oil is used.

My transmission is running really well except it shifts a little hard sometimes when I am close to redlining 3rd gear. I drive in SS mode 75% of the time..

What about these pressure switches I hear about... I see allot of scattered threads but noting concrete about symptoms of a bad pressure switch, or a bad transmission.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 PM
2007 Type S WDP 5AT

Received 171 Likes on 64 Posts
You just need to do a 1x3. for the 91$. id change the pressure switches just for preventative maintenence. I have an 07 type s and thats exactly what i have done
Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 2008 TL and my switches needed replacement as the shifting was getting worst. New switches solved that. If you want to stay with Honda fluid you should install an external filter at least.
Since you have your ATF changed for you, you do not get to see how messy it comes out.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wojo1988
You just need to do a 1x3. for the 91$. id change the pressure switches just for preventative maintenence. I have an 07 type s and thats exactly what i have done
I was thinking the 3x3 is for 06 and under TL's that do not have the RL transmiaaion.

Originally Posted by NetGnome
I have a 2008 TL and my switches needed replacement as the shifting was getting worst. New switches solved that. If you want to stay with Honda fluid you should install an external filter at least.
Since you have your ATF changed for you, you do not get to see how messy it comes out.
I would assumt my OEM filter would be changed with the oil... What is an external filter is that after market?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
I'm assuming you're just following the MID for normal maintenance? Thats fine for most everything, but I would do a drain and fill on the transmission much more frequently than it would tell you to. With 119KM it probably won't matter that much at this point, but definitely follow the recommended maintenance as a minimum.

The normal transmission service is generally a drain and fill. That means open the drain on the transmission, and refill it. Theres still a significant amount of fluid left all over the transmission and lines that does not get drained this way. The 'safe' way around it, is to do this 2-3x in a row, with a bit of driving in between. The best way to ensure this is done properly is to do it yourself. Most dealers are going to do some sort of pressure assisted flush if you request anything more than the standard service. That's expensive and not generally a great idea on higher miles transmissions, unless you have done it frequently since new. The best bet, is to drain the transmission, refill it to near the top on the dipstick, drive it for a few days, and do this again until the fluid looks new. It should be fairly clean after 2 of these, unless it was really dirty. The better bet, is to do a drain and fill much more frequently, before the fluid gets dirty enough to warrant the repeated drain and fills. It's fairly cheap and easy to do yourself, or you can have a dealer do it for you. It's just generally a hassle to try and get a dealer to do it your way and can be hard to tell if the work was really done.

Just be aware, how you drive is going to be the largest factor in transmission life. Ensuring the transmission has clean fluid just gives it one less excuse to fail, and generally won't 'fix' any issues if they exist. I don't think Honda has ever made a very reliable transmission. The more power the engine has, the more problems tend to exist. Some years are just more prone to issues, but they all fail eventually.
The following users liked this post:
Thunderrr (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
I would do a complete drain (including the torque convertor). When you mix the old fluid and new fluid, you contaminate the new fluid, requiring you to do more frequent transmission fluid drains because the new fluid oxidizes quicker.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
I change every 20K and skip the 3x3. That's a lot simpler to deal with, since I do my own work.

I have always wondered if the dealer charged a 3x3 surcharge and didn't actually do the work, how would you really know? The color of fluid might be a little more red but would you see a difference between 1 change and 2?

Another benefit to the every 20k (which is like a 3x3 @ 60K) is you can check the wear on the magnetic plug on a more regular basis. You will also be more on top of any leaks if they should occur. That plastic shield can hide a lot of badness if you have a leak.