Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navi Sucks!!! Grrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Navi Sucks!!! Grrrrr

I use my NAVI several times every single day. I also had a 2001 CL-S before this car and I have to say the old NAVI was far more accurate in directions and route recalculation. I cannot tell you how many times this new Navi system has told me to go South when the destination is clearly to the North of me and vice versa. Even when recalculating a route, it takes forever and takes me on some scenic journey around town when the destination is clearly a straight shot in front of me. I dont know who supposedly "improved" this NAVI but give me the old one back any day.

has anyone else had Navi issues?
Old 03-26-2004, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't had any problems with it. It even tells me where to make a U turn if I miss the location.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
i've had no problems, check your navi version and get it updated by dealer if necessary
Old 03-26-2004, 09:45 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There have been times when the directions ttok me slightly out of my way, probably because the system gives a higher weight to major arteries over minor ones. When calculating a route, the system takes into account several factors besides the "as the crow flies" method you are implying. That's why the NAV offers you control over how to calculate the route and even will offer you 5 different routes to choose from if you want.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:46 AM
Racer

So, I haven't been disappointed at all with the functionality of the NAV. If I know there's a likely shorter way over a segment of the trip it provides, I'll just start to take it and let the system catch up with me when it recalculates.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:50 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Ah, you DO realize that this system has different settings, don't you? Sounds like yours is trying to "Maximize freeways" when what you REALLY want is to use the "Minimize Freeways".
Old 03-26-2004, 09:56 AM
270: Dats a lot o' horses

Uhhhh, sorry. The NAVI does not suck.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:57 AM
Taistella Jokerit!

I have no complaints about mine, and use it everyday.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:00 AM
Racer

We have a navi on our 01 MDX, 03 TL-S and 04 TL. I can tell you that the 04 TL's navi is a hundred times better than the other two. I don't know how you came up with the 04 TL's navi being slower in recalculating when it recalculates in like a second compared to like 10 secs on the MDX or TL-S. It also tells you to make a left on the next street or two streets down where as the old navis you have to keep looking at the screen to see exactly which street to turn on. You don't know how many times I've turned on the wrong street because of it, especially when the streets are so close together. Oh and try searching for a place. The old one takes you forever to find something. The new one has so much more search options. I'm sorry, but I don't see anything that the old has that is better than the new.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:09 AM
Instructor

The only problem I have had is the actual street address location is somehow computed based on length of the street, and the address is sometimes off by a few hundred meters. The only other thing I could ask for is if it would read on a line what the next street coming up is, and time to next turn (like the Garmin products do).
Old 03-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Banned

Re: Navi Sucks!!! Grrrrr

Originally posted by Black_Pride
I use my NAVI several times every single day. I also had a 2001 CL-S before this car and I have to say the old NAVI was far more accurate in directions and route recalculation. I cannot tell you how many times this new Navi system has told me to go South when the destination is clearly to the North of me and vice versa. Even when recalculating a route, it takes forever and takes me on some scenic journey around town when the destination is clearly a straight shot in front of me. I dont know who supposedly "improved" this NAVI but give me the old one back any day.

You just don't know how to use it. There are three ways to go somewhere direct(+/- highways) or easy. The round abouts are because the computer is trying to do exactly what you told it to do. Machines are only as smart as their operator!
Old 03-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for your insightful replies. I am now enlightened.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:51 AM
Racer

This navi calculates significantly faster than last year's TL-S. I like the new feature that allows you to split the screen and post the direction list along side the map, so you can always see the next turn or two without pressing a button. I think the old navi displayed current position more accurately than this one does.

On a side note, did anyone figure out how to get or send the phone number of the destination without having to reprogram the route? For instance, you're driving to an appointment or a reservation, your destination is contained in the POI database with name and phone number, you're running late, and you want to call to extend. Can you bring up the destination phone number and/or send it to the phone? I've looked through the manual for this but I can't find it.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:12 AM
Instructor

what's the difference between "easy" and say "direct"?
Old 03-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

the Navi is freakin awesome. i had an aftermarket alpine navigation system in my last car and it was fairly decent. this version for the TL is so much better. its alot more accurate. allows you to select what type of route("minimize freeways") and recalculates on the fly. my old system allowed me to choose what type of route but the route calculation was slow and the recalculation was so slow that when it did recalculate i was already past the point i needed to be at. the only thing really slowing the system down is the fact that its a dvd-rom. if it was hard drive based like some newer japanese navi's it would be lightning quick.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:03 PM
TL hacker

Originally posted by jzinckgra
what's the difference between "easy" and say "direct"?
Easy means the one with the less amount of turns, lights, stops etc.

Direct means the most direct route from A to B. Usually the lowest distance but not always the fastest.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine has given me false directions many tie
Old 03-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
freakin browser.

Many times. Told me to turn left when my work was obviously turn right. Tells me to take the next exit on the right and there's no exit. It has many street addrs wrong. But all in all it generally gets me there.

I have a July 2003 softwae so I'm probably several revisions back.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if this problem could be limited to certain metropolitan areas? The original poster is in Miami. I noticed none of the replies yet is from anyone else in that area. Anyone else in Miami want to comment? How about Atlanta, since the poster just above me is from there and also seems unhappy.

Just a thought.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:56 PM
Burning Brakes

No false directions ever and I'm in Canada where they never even had navi until this year.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:20 PM
Racer

Originally posted by UminChu
On a side note, did anyone figure out how to get or send the phone number of the destination without having to reprogram the route? For instance, you're driving to an appointment or a reservation, your destination is contained in the POI database with name and phone number, you're running late, and you want to call to extend. Can you bring up the destination phone number and/or send it to the phone? I've looked through the manual for this but I can't find it.
Ok, I can't say I found a simple, one step solution, but I did come up with a back door workaround:

Tap Menu twice, select Previous Destination, then select your current destination from the top of the list. It will display all the POI info and enable the send function. You can then tap Map or Cancel to return to the current directions without recalculating your entire route.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:50 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts
Wink

No problems with mine, but they could have done better with the female voice.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by Sherlock

I have a July 2003 softwae so I'm probably several revisions back.

I think our version is only 1 revision back. Also, based on what Alpine/Acura Navigation Division said, these two version are identical...

Old 03-26-2004, 07:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by UminChu
Ok, I can't say I found a simple, one step solution, but I did come up with a back door workaround:

Tap Menu twice, select Previous Destination, then select your current destination from the top of the list. It will display all the POI info and enable the send function. You can then tap Map or Cancel to return to the current directions without recalculating your entire route.

I usually do this way to call it back. So far, I don't know any better/easier way to do the same thing.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Lightbulb Black_Pride, I think there is......

Originally posted by Black_Pride

.....definitely something wrong with your Navi system. Take it to the dealer and have it checked.

I've used the old DVD system in my 2000TL and have the new one now, in my '03 MDX. Like other posters have mentioned, the new Navi system is light years ahead of the old one in terms of ACCURACY, SPEED and FUNCTIONALITY, not to mention expanded MAP and POI COVERAGE!!! (And that is an amazing achievement, considering that the old system itself was one of the best, bar none).......As a matter of fact, one of the most OBVIOUS improvements is in the SPEED OF CALCULATION and especially RE-CALCULATION. If you made a wrong turn, the old system (especially with the updated DVD version 2.03) took FOREVER to re-calculate, and sometimes it would go into a perptual loop as the Navi would play "catch up" with the car's new position as you kept driving. The only solution then, would be to stop and let it "catch-up". By sharp contrast the new system does it's rec-calculation in a matter of a few seconds.

I've also used every other imaginable aftermarket and factory Nav systems and all I can say is nothing can TOUCH the Honda/Acura Nav system. Just imagine this: I bought my '03 MDX over my other choice, the 4-Runner, mainly for the AWESOME Acura Navigation System :wow: :wow: ...that should say something!!! (Lexus/Toyota makes the second best Nav system in the business, but it is still SUBSTANTIALLY inferior to the Honda/Acura system)
Old 03-26-2004, 08:45 PM
Cruisin'

Use it EVERYDAY. AWESOME.