34.31%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

To Navi or Not to Navi

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 01:03 PM
E-Xtraordinare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Navi or Not to Navi

Unfortunately, my indecisive brother can't seem to decide on this car, meaning get it or not. He wanted me to find out the numbers in terms of who has Navigation and who does not. I don't know what this will do for him but whatever will make his decision easier and quicker.

More so, is it inevitable that 04 prices will go down by the time the 05's are out or not, especially for the 04 TL w/Navigation??

Thanks much guys and gals..
Old 04-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Instructor

I read somewhere that prices for the MDX took 2 years for the prices to drop. THe TL i dont think will be dropping anytime soon... especially since the new RL is in a completely diff price range of 50k. BUT GET THE NAVI! TRUST ME!
Old 04-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Kicks Ass

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76575
Old 04-12-2004, 01:19 PM
What's a TL?

I didn't get it and I'm more and more upset everyday. I keep hoping someone will steal the non navi so I can go back and get a new one.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
you will have buyers regret, I guarentee it. My brother when he bought his 2000 TL, didnt get navi, and he kicks himself in the ass all the time. Thats why, when I bought my TL, i definetly got it. ANd I'm loving every minute of it
Old 04-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Pro

i didn't get it because i had an aftermarket navi system(garmin 2610). i would've probably gotten it if i didn't have my garmin...

but then again the TL is not the only car i drive so the portability of the garmin is really great...for ME
Old 04-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76716
Old 04-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Advanced

My 2001 TL did not have the Nav, and I was determined to get it this time around. I do love it. For me, it makes the car!
Old 04-12-2004, 02:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So glad that I left the $3,500 that a NAVI would have cost me in the stock market, it goes up and up every day
Old 04-12-2004, 08:53 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad I can afford the Navi and still have plenty of money to put in the Stock Market...
work smarter nor harder, and you will be rewarded!

"life is too short for compromises"
Old 04-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Racer

I had Navi in my '01 CL-S, and I have it in my '04 TL. It is very handy to have.

-r

"Life is too short to drive boring cars!"
Old 04-13-2004, 08:53 AM
10th Gear

Old 04-13-2004, 08:56 AM
10th Gear

I have Navi, and had a non-navi loaner from the dealer yesterday. It was like a different car! GET THE NAVI. The XM view screen is more complete, in fact the whole radio interaction is better. The voice activation can be habit forming. Even the clock was wrong on the loaner by a few minutes because the navi clock is self setting!
Old 04-13-2004, 09:01 AM
10th Gear

By the way, check Edmunds - their TMV pricing is actually pretty acurate on a national average basis. Three months ago they reported the TL w/navi at TMV = Full MSRP (some people on this site reported a few hundred dollar break here and there; I got $500 off MSRP when I bought mine). Now Edmunds is reporting TL w/navi at about $1000 off of MSRP. (It is still $2000 over dealer invoice, but at least not $3000 over). If I was buying today, I wouldn't settle for anything higher than $1000 off MSRP window price, and would even push for a little below that. The inventory is slowly catching up with demand.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:18 AM
User Registered

Is that really a fair poll? I mean, it would be a bias decision if I choose Navi because I have it. The same for a non-Navi person picking non-Navi.

Maybe I'll pick non-Navi. Would that be un-bias? Hmmm....

j/k, I chose navi cause I travel a lot on the road. If you're an around the town w/occasional trip not too far out of town.... don't get the in-car navi. Get an external so you can save.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:29 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I imagine the 2005 RL (with even more gadgets) will cause TL demand (and prices) to subside a bit.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:04 AM
GregS

Cool

Originally Posted by pbuckthal
I have Navi, and had a non-navi loaner from the dealer yesterday. It was like a different car! GET THE NAVI. The XM view screen is more complete, in fact the whole radio interaction is better. The voice activation can be habit forming. Even the clock was wrong on the loaner by a few minutes because the navi clock is self setting!
The clock in your loaner was wrong because it was set that way! I have the non-Navi (and don't regret it at all), and the clock keeps perfect time. The only time I had to reset it was for Daylight Savings Time.

You guys with the Navi seem to think you have something really special. I am tired of listening to everyone drone on about how the car is not the same without it. This car is awesome with or without the Navi. Having this mystery voice constantly telling me "where to go and where to get off" gets old real fast. I had the Navi in my 2001 TL, and as far as I'm concerned it was nothing more than an expensive toy. Can't any of you read a map? Give me a break!

Bottom line - if you have a REAL NEED for it than it it is worth the investment. Otherwise save the $2K+ and invest in the some cool accessories or the stock market. Besides, what did you guys do before there was a Navi, anyway?

Wait a few years (maybe even with the production version of the RL) and your beloved Navi's will be as obsolete as an 8-Track tape player!

Just my 2-cents.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

We have the NAVI in our MDX, and it does offer a great assistance, especially the backup camera, which the TL does not have. On the MDX it really does cost $2k more vs $3500 or more on the TL.

One pain in the A** is when we are listening to the Radio or CD's and the NAVI voice comes on (either Norma or Norman whomever we fell like listening to that day) and the song that we were listening to is shot.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by roadman
One pain in the A** is when we are listening to the Radio or CD's and the NAVI voice comes on (either Norma or Norman whomever we fell like listening to that day) and the song that we were listening to is shot.
I don't mind the voice directions if I'm in the car alone, but when I have a passenger that I'm talking to they are annoying. The solution is to turn the voice off and rely on the visual directions instead.

-r
Old 04-13-2004, 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

I really, really, really regret not getting the navi. I didn't know all the features it had. I thought it was just a cd based nav system.

oh well.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:49 PM
Bobz

Originally Posted by gstais
The clock in your loaner was wrong because it was set that way! I have the non-Navi (and don't regret it at all), and the clock keeps perfect time. The only time I had to reset it was for Daylight Savings Time.

You guys with the Navi seem to think you have something really special. I am tired of listening to everyone drone on about how the car is not the same without it. This car is awesome with or without the Navi. Having this mystery voice constantly telling me "where to go and where to get off" gets old real fast. I had the Navi in my 2001 TL, and as far as I'm concerned it was nothing more than an expensive toy. Can't any of you read a map? Give me a break!

Bottom line - if you have a REAL NEED for it than it it is worth the investment. Otherwise save the $2K+ and invest in the some cool accessories or the stock market. Besides, what did you guys do before there was a Navi, anyway?

Wait a few years (maybe even with the production version of the RL) and your beloved Navi's will be as obsolete as an 8-Track tape player!

Just my 2-cents.
Problem is right now dealers are not discounting Nav cars much so the $ 2,000 premium is even higher. I got almost $ 2000.00 discount last night on my purchase of a non-nav unit and the dealer was really blunt about no discount is I wanted a navigation car, so the reality is I would have paid closer to $ 4000.00 more for a navigation car. It sure isn't worth that much, and the TL already is gadget rich even without the navigation.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:29 PM
GregS

Cool

Originally Posted by Bobzmcishl
Problem is right now dealers are not discounting Nav cars much so the $ 2,000 premium is even higher. I got almost $ 2000.00 discount last night on my purchase of a non-nav unit and the dealer was really blunt about no discount is I wanted a navigation car, so the reality is I would have paid closer to $ 4000.00 more for a navigation car. It sure isn't worth that much, and the TL already is gadget rich even without the navigation.

What dealer is this? I live in the East Bay, and my dealer (Acura of Pleasanton) has consistently stated that they will only sell at MSRP with or without the Navi. Acura of Concord would deal, but they force you to take their dealer Protection Package at around $1000.

Just curious!

Regards,
Old 04-13-2004, 07:32 PM
10th Gear

Just my 2-cents.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:35 PM
GregS

Question

pbuckthal,

What are you trying to tell me?
Old 04-13-2004, 07:49 PM
10th Gear

This is a great answer to my comments because it ignores everything I was trying to say.
- The loaner clock was wrong because it was set that way: RIGHT: with the navi, you don't have to set it: ever -- COOL
- The only time he had to set it was at daylight saving time change: RIGHT: with the navi, it sets itself at daylight saving time: -- COOL
- We with navi seem to think we have something special: EXACTLY: it's the first think friends notice and envy when they get in the car, not the car looks itself, not the power, but the NAVI: -- COOL
- The mystery voice: I never use it, I don't need someone to tell me where to get off, this is the least important part of the FULL navi system to me.
- Can't we read a map: Yes we can, and it is ON THE DASH IN FRONT OF US. We never have to fumble with a piece of paper, we just scroll around right on the electronic screen, and never have to fold it back up and tuck it in the door: COOL
- Use the $2k for a cool accessory: I DID: I used it for the COOLEST accessory available on the car: THE NAVI.
- The navi is just an expensive toy: THE WHOLE CAR IS. You can save over $5k - $10k getting a less expensive toy with as much power or as modern looks, but it's the full package thing that makes this TL special, including the navi.
- Wait a few years. Yes, in a few years I will buy a cooler car - one with auto-on headlights, rain sensing wipers, heads-up display, and many other cool things which I have had before (Pontiac GTP, Cadillac STS), but for now the navi out-cools the other things available.
-- and I still like seeing the XM radio display with category, channel, artist, and song title all in one display constantly on my screen, and I still like changing channels just by telling it which channel number I want without rolling a dial through 160+ numbers when the special one I want is not one of my 12 presets. COOL

Just my 2-cents.

P.S. - I agree that if you have to think about the payments or extra price of the cool navi, then you don't need to be buying it, maybe you should not even be paying $33k - $35k for a car. The navi is like buying a boat - if you have to ask what it costs, then you can't afford it. You just get it because you want it.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Try this and see if your friends think it is cool

Take a non-Navi and tape 35- $100 bills to the dash,then look at the expressions on their face when they get in your car.

Want something cool with auto-on headlights, and rain sensing wipers, how about a rear view camera, plus Acura NAVI, Presto get a 2004 MDX
Old 04-13-2004, 08:26 PM
GregS

Originally Posted by pbuckthal
This is a great answer to my comments because it ignores everything I was trying to say.
- The loaner clock was wrong because it was set that way: RIGHT: with the navi, you don't have to set it: ever -- COOL
- The only time he had to set it was at daylight saving time change: RIGHT: with the navi, it sets itself at daylight saving time: -- COOL
- We with navi seem to think we have something special: EXACTLY: it's the first think friends notice and envy when they get in the car, not the car looks itself, not the power, but the NAVI: -- COOL
- The mystery voice: I never use it, I don't need someone to tell me where to get off, this is the least important part of the FULL navi system to me.
- Can't we read a map: Yes we can, and it is ON THE DASH IN FRONT OF US. We never have to fumble with a piece of paper, we just scroll around right on the electronic screen, and never have to fold it back up and tuck it in the door: COOL
- Use the $2k for a cool accessory: I DID: I used it for the COOLEST accessory available on the car: THE NAVI.
- The navi is just an expensive toy: THE WHOLE CAR IS. You can save over $5k - $10k getting a less expensive toy with as much power or as modern looks, but it's the full package thing that makes this TL special, including the navi.
- Wait a few years. Yes, in a few years I will buy a cooler car - one with auto-on headlights, rain sensing wipers, heads-up display, and many other cool things which I have had before (Pontiac GTP, Cadillac STS), but for now the navi out-cools the other things available.
-- and I still like seeing the XM radio display with category, channel, artist, and song title all in one display constantly on my screen, and I still like changing channels just by telling it which channel number I want without rolling a dial through 160+ numbers when the special one I want is not one of my 12 presets. COOL

Just my 2-cents.

P.S. - I agree that if you have to think about the payments or extra price of the cool navi, then you don't need to be buying it, maybe you should not even be paying $33k - $35k for a car. The navi is like buying a boat - if you have to ask what it costs, then you can't afford it. You just get it because you want it.
So what's your point?
Old 04-13-2004, 08:45 PM
GregS

pbuckthal,

Contrary to what you might believe, my answer was right on target. It seems to me that guy's like you are so dazzled with the Navi's technology that you lose all sense of reality to the point that you would spend any amount of money so you can have a 'cool car' to impress your friends. If that's what is important to you, then I am OK with that.

What you missed in my response (or maybe you just can't admit it) I stated that "if you have a REAL NEED for it than it it is worth the investment". It is not an issue of affordability. Rather, it is my common sense dictating to me what is practical for my day-to-day usage. Bottom line, I made a conscious decision not to get the Navi - not becuase I can't afford it (or the car for that matter, or that I had to ask how much, but simply because I really don't have the need for it, and chose to put that money to better use.

If you can't understand that, then so be it. In short, we need to agree to disagree.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Instructor

Navi or non-navi argument...getting a bit heated

The whole thing is really funny to me. Some people get really bent out of shape about it. I chose the navi because I liked it better with it, point blank. I wanted it, the price was right, so I got it. No biggie. The wait is a little annoying, but not that big of a deal (actually to get the non-navi was a tad longer).

HOWEVER, a TL without the Navi is a really nice car. Would I enjoy owning one without Navi, you better believe it and I wouldn't regret it one bit either. If you got a TL without Navi (for what ever reason), don't regret it. Enjoy owning one of the best bank for the buck cars out there. The car kicks much arse with or without it.

It is comical how defensive people get. To those rather spirited individuals on both sides of the argument...keep in mind, it is just a screen. Relax. It's all good (as the saying goes). We all bought the same car, we are all on the "same side" if you will.

(That last paragraph is tongue and cheek, but I think you all get my meaning.)
Old 04-13-2004, 08:53 PM
GregS

Correction to my above post ( I hit the save button too soon):

pbuckthal,

Contrary to what you might believe, my answer was right on target. It seems to me that guy's like you are so dazzled with the Navi's technology that you lose all sense of reality to the point that you would spend any amount of money just so you can have a 'cool car' to impress your friends. If that's what is important to you, then fine (somewhat juvenile if you ask me). What you missed in my response (or maybe you just can't admit it) is that I stated that "if you have a REAL NEED for it than it it is worth the investment".

Bottom line, I made a conscious decision not to get the Navi - not because I can't afford it (or the car for that matter), or that I had to ask how much, but simply because I really don't have the need for it, and chose to put that money to better use.

If you can't understand that, then so be it. As for me, I don't give a rat's a$$ whether my friends and family are impressed with my awesome car - because I am the one that gets to drive it everyday - not them!

Just MY 2-Cents
Old 04-13-2004, 11:14 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Originally Posted by roadman
Try this and see if your friends think it is cool

Take a non-Navi and tape 35- $100 bills to the dash,then look at the expressions on their face when they get in your car.

Want something cool with auto-on headlights, and rain sensing wipers, how about a rear view camera, plus Acura NAVI, Presto get a 2004 MDX
why pay almost $10,000 more for a car that has no voice commands ?
XM and has lower gas mileage ?
and it doesn't offer 6MT (although it has an AWD option).

the camera can be easily added to the TL (IF YOU HAVE NAVI).
even with night-vision (infrared and with zoom)
it has been done (search forum).
- the rain-sensor is also sold if you want to add it
(similar to BMW in the rear-view mirror base).
- Auto headlights on is easy, $50 kit.

I'll buy my wife the MDX (with NAVI) next year, only because she wants it, to carry the kids an take long trips loaded... but not for me, the TL is perfect. :grenade:
Old 04-13-2004, 11:56 PM
Intermediate

What dealer is this? I live in the East Bay, and my dealer (Acura of Pleasanton) has consistently stated that they will only sell at MSRP with or without the Navi. Acura of Concord would deal, but they force you to take their dealer Protection Package at around $1000.

Just curious!

Regards,
That's too bad. I was able to get navi 6MT, nbp/ebony for about $1,800 off MSRP.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
why pay almost $10,000 more for a car that has no voice commands ?
XM and has lower gas mileage ?
and it doesn't offer 6MT (although it has an AWD option).

the camera can be easily added to the TL (IF YOU HAVE NAVI).
even with night-vision (infrared and with zoom)
it has been done (search forum).
- the rain-sensor is also sold if you want to add it
(similar to BMW in the rear-view mirror base).
- Auto headlights on is easy, $50 kit.

I'll buy my wife the MDX (with NAVI) next year, only because she wants it, to carry the kids an take long trips loaded... but not for me, the TL is perfect. :grenade:
The MDX w/NAVI has voice commands/ We paid $39,300 for a MDX w/NAVI vs $35k for a TL w/NAVI, Diff is less than $5k
Old 04-14-2004, 01:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bobzmcishl
Hey Guys,

You guys make me feel a bit lucky here in the northeast. I don't mean to rub anyone the wrong way but I got my dealer, Acura of Boston (sales rep Debbie), to knock $2000 off a Navi in about 30 minutes of back and forth with the sales manager. And there was not a whole lot of pressure to purchase any overpriced accessories. Mind you, the car was ordered from the factory with a 2 month wait. Perhaps if some of you who will be around my area should come take a look. I went back to them today to ask about my build date and VIN. I got April 26-29 but no VIN yet. Debbie actually took the time to make small talk too :toothless and answered a lot of questions regarding accessories and delivery date. Just ask for her and tell her David from this forum sent you. That's what I am getting one of my co-workers to do. She has a 2003 Maxima and hates it Well, I don't blame her. Hope everyone gets a great deal on their Navi or non-Navi TL.

dsc888
Old 04-14-2004, 04:59 PM
TL hacker

Is the navi worth it? Well I really love the bluetooth and the fact that POI (Points Of Interest) can be dialed directly from the navi.

Voice controlled climate system, audio, nav? Too damn cool! I rarely take my eyes off the road anymore. Not even to look at the clock! I just ask the navi "What time is it?"

And I never get lost or have to ask for directions. I don't even have to look at the screen. It's like having a rally racing co-pilot telling where to go. Love it! And if I have a passenger onboard I'm now able to "tune in" to both the navi voice commands and my passenger talking at the same time. You get used to it after a certain time.

Small story: Was driving with my friend the other day. He wanted to see the MDX. I press the voice button: "Find nearest Acura dealership". I select the first one on the top. Then I press the dial button. Called the dealership, asked them if they had an MDX "tech package" (Navi) in the showroom. Lady says yes. "Thank you". Hangup, press OK and I let the car guide me to the dealership.

Without the TL's Navi this would've involved finding a phone book, getting a map on paper and then scratching my head trying to figure out directions. Then I also would've had to pay attention to all the streetnames while driving.

So is the Navi worth it? Besides the ooh and ahh factor... yes! It's incredibly useful when combined with a bluetooth cellphone. There is a learning curve to all this but it doesn't take too long. A few days and you can master the basics and a few weeks and you're a pro.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:52 PM
Advanced

bankrate.com

See the latest article from Bankrate.com. You will take a bigger bath with Navi if you trade in 2-3 years, which many here seem to do. I really like the Navi. But I also am not disciplined enough to keep a vehicle long enough to recoup the value. Looking at the Missouri Black Book values (the Missouri Wholesale book - not published anywhere - have a friend in the dealership business), the difference for a 2000 Nav and non-Nav is only $100 wholesale. This is even less than what an internet Service like Edmunds shows and it truly reflects what wholesalers in MO are willing to pay for vehicles. Unless it is a must have, at least in MO or probably the midwest, you will not get back out of it what you paid. Not only will the dealer charge you a premium in the form of a lower discount, you will not get anywhere near the difference back at trade-in time. A double hit.

But.......it is cool :bowdown:
Old 04-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Pembroke Pines, FL

There are Lots of Reasons to Buy a Navi

My previous car (2001 Infiniti I30) had a navigation system and I found it so useful, I wouldn't have bought my 2004 TL without one. It's especially useful at night, unless you live in a town where every street has a large, well-lit sign. It's also fantastically useful when you need to detour around an accident in an area you aren't familiar with. It's also great for driving around, getting lost, and then using it to find your way home. It's also very cool. I used to get very upset when I lost my way, now I don't lose it (my cool or my way). Other benefits are the 8" screen that allows you to control your audio system and the voice recognition feature. I definitely keep my eyes on the road more than I did before I had a car with voice recognition. If you don't see a need for it, then you shouldn't get one. However, I think it's one of the most useful automotive innovations in the last 50 years.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:45 PM
Advanced

I bet GSTAIS would take the navi if it were free- and probably in time grow to love it and tell his friends about the great features it has. The only real stumbling block to people not getting the navi is the money. The whole car is a toy to be enjoyed. If I wanted transportation I would get a cheapo Toyota.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Racer

If you guys are so money conscious, why did you even get the TL? Why not settle for a civic or a corrola and save you a bundle more than measly $2k? I bought my TL because I wanted a car of this level and getting navi was an easy decision (less than 10% of the car value). Yeah, I could have invested the $2K and waited on the returns, but then that's what my other money is for. The TL is for my driving enjoyment.

As for the navi, I think it's a great investment. Just think about how many times someone gave you a direction to a place and end up gettin you lost. Now, I just ask for the address and I'm there. No more "take a left at the gas station, then a right at the supermarket, don't go past Bob's burger" etc...

My friend just bought a TL and got the non-navi because there was a two week wait. Needless to say that he doesn't like seeing my car now.

Bottom line, if you can afford it, get the navi. If $2K is going to break the bank, settle for a civic.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:39 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Originally Posted by 04TLmayB
I bet GSTAIS would take the navi if it were free- and probably in time grow to love it and tell his friends about the great features it has. The only real stumbling block to people not getting the navi is the money. The whole car is a toy to be enjoyed. If I wanted transportation I would get a cheapo Toyota.

or a used Festiva ! I'll bet those are cheap.
people tell me about the yugo, but I never seen one in 12 years.

you are right, it all comes down to money...
let it flow freely and more will come to you! specially if you help others.

Quick Reply: To Navi or Not to Navi