3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navi or Non-Navi - Need Help Choosing!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 07:57 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi or Non-Navi - Need Help Choosing!!!

Hi everyone...I'm a new member here and have browsed through quite a few posts, but I haven't found anything to help me decide between a navi and non-navi system. Took me a while but I finally located an auto Anthracite/Ebony with the nav system, but the dealer here in SoCal isn't budging off the listed $35,195 price ($38,200 OTD), although they are throwing in a deck lip spoiler. What a deal, huh?

The same exact car but non-navi is considerably cheaper at $31,200 ($33,950 OTD). Obviously the latter is the best deal, and saves me quite a bit monthly as well in loan interest charges, but am I going to regret not having the navigation system? I mean, it "is" a nice option and probably helps with future resale value, but is it really worth the extra money? Anyway, here in SoCal it seems the navi cars are selling pretty close to MSRP...best offer I got was only $500 off at $34,695.

Help me decide!!! :>) Jeff
Old 06-22-2004, 08:04 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to decide very carefully here. If you do not take Nav, you'll not get all the Voice commands which come with it and will get a not so good dash. I'm very happy with my Nav and never ever will buy a car without one. But as you said it's a matter of $4K in your price. I'll say get Nav but shop around. There are lot of people without nav who regret not getting it.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the Navigation you won't regret it.

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictur...ption=aut_0902

As you can see in that link the Navigation looks better sitting there. Voice recognition, great driving directions. It has helped me locate places, it will come in handy. When it comes time to trade the car in in the future you will get more money. Go with the Nav
Old 06-22-2004, 08:11 PM
3rd Gear

GO Navi

I am sales and have 45k miles on my 2003 CL-S with Navi. I would not buy another car without Navi. If you drive a lot, it is like having a/c vs no a/c.

With that price difference and if you don't drive a lot, I would consider the Garmin aftermarket system which is under a grand and I hear pretty decent.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:14 PM
3rd Gear

Old 06-22-2004, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Not again.....

But since you ask , spend the money on the navi and don't regret it. like jog says, you miss the voice commands without the navi, and it really is true that the dash looks incomplete without it.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:15 PM
8th Gear

Get the Navi. The dash looks so much better with it.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Safety Car

i would get the nav but shop around if a dealer is offerring 31,200 for a non nav you will probably find someone offerring the nav for cheaper than 35,195. think carefully before you decide because like another poster said there are only people on this board who regretted not getting the nav and not the other way around. it is more money but i feel its worth it in the features and functions.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Navi all the way. Worth it for the voice controls alone.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a look at the buying in socal thread http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...ght=buying+cal

You might think about buying back east at around 33k and having one shipped in.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:31 PM
ZHP 4CE

Like everyone else here has said, definitely get the navi. Unlike other cars, it is a huge integrated feature on the TL, which gives you much more than just a navigation system.

Run a search for this question on this forum, and you will see countless other threads like this, with very similar results. In the end though, this is your decision, but be honest with yourself. You don't want a raging case of buyer's remorse after you get the car.

As for the $5,000 difference between the navi and non-navi, that is absolutely ridiculous, but it also shows just how good the navi system is since that price differential is based on demand. If you absolutely can't get any dealer to come down off that price for the navi, I would consider buying from somewhere else and getting the car shipped in. for $500-$700. It's a bit more trouble, but something to think about.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:32 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
jesus...they are WAAAY over charging you. the navi only costs 2000 which in any case should not amount to 4000 difference. i got mine for 34 or 35 something after everything AND they threw in new tires. shop around...that dealership might be ripping you off

i live in cali but never heard of lompoc, if you tell me where that is near, like a major city, i can help you with a good deaership
Old 06-22-2004, 09:00 PM
Racer

Here's what I've suggested to others:
Go back through the numerous past threads on this subject and see how many people actual say they use the navi to keep them from getting lost (i.e. those in sales) vs. the number that say "its cool".
I'll bet 75% or more care about the cool factor and don't care about using the navi for navigation.

That said, it is cool and if the money isn't important to you then just gett it. But if you're not rich then think about how much you're willing to pay to be cool. The car is great either way.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Advanced

Be patient and get the Navi but wait and see what happens to pricing when the 05's come out. You might get lucky. I can't say enough about how the voice commands and the confidence you get change the driving experience. You NEVER get lost! You can't-it won't let you.....good luck. You won't regret it.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:35 PM
cnp
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffs246
Hi everyone...I'm a new member here and have browsed through quite a few posts, but I haven't found anything to help me decide between a navi and non-navi system. Took me a while but I finally located an auto Anthracite/Ebony with the nav system, but the dealer here in SoCal isn't budging off the listed $35,195 price ($38,200 OTD), although they are throwing in a deck lip spoiler. What a deal, huh?

The same exact car but non-navi is considerably cheaper at $31,200 ($33,950 OTD). Obviously the latter is the best deal, and saves me quite a bit monthly as well in loan interest charges, but am I going to regret not having the navigation system? I mean, it "is" a nice option and probably helps with future resale value, but is it really worth the extra money? Anyway, here in SoCal it seems the navi cars are selling pretty close to MSRP...best offer I got was only $500 off at $34,695.

If you intend to divorce yourself from the cool factor, then it depends on where you take your car. For me, driving to work daily, with monthly forays out of town to places I know, it is purely excess. The few times a year I go places new, a $5 map will suffice, or a free download from mapquest.
However, for someone in sales or who drives to new locations all the time, this could be a useful tool. You will have to figure that one.
In terms of aesthetics, the navi does look better. However, I didn't get a navi, and don't regret it at the current price differential (for a $1000 difference, I would have). But, if you are always going to lament about not getting it, other posters have warned you.
cnp
Old 06-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Intermediate

One word of advice, "GET THE FUKIN NAVI OR ELSE"

Nuff said
Old 06-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TLud
As for the $5,000 difference between the navi and non-navi, that is absolutely ridiculous, but it also shows just how good the navi system is since that price differential is based on demand. If you absolutely can't get any dealer to come down off that price for the navi, I would consider buying from somewhere else and getting the car shipped in. for $500-$700. It's a bit more trouble, but something to think about.
Where is a somewhere else close to California that has low prices?
Old 06-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Professional Somnabulist

Tough to argue against the NAVI, but I admit I went after this car without it, only to get it in the end. It's a neat feature, although not at all necessary for your enjoyment of the drive. I like the menu system for the radio as much as anything else.

You should be able to get it with som neg. for 1G more...
Old 06-22-2004, 10:28 PM
Pro

Jeffs, why dont you find one somewere else I have seen people get a navi for around 32,8 to 33k. You could get a plane ticket for 2-300 dollers and drive it back and still come out way ahead of the game just go to acura.com and enter some zipcodes for FL, SC, some places that are willing to deal.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Drifting

I have been lurking here for a while and couldn't resist giving my 2 cents on the navi issue at hand. I currently have navigation on my Volvo and paid over 2k for the option. I have used it twice. Thats 1 grand per use. IMHO its totally unnecessary. I can't for the life of me figure when all these people who opt for the feature use it? For the very small(5%) of people who travel in unchartered territory all the time, I understand. I have test driven the TL with and without the navi, and it didn't seem to suffer that much cosmetically without it. Jeff, I'm just trying to play the other side for you since it seems everyone is for it. One other thing, wouldn't it be fun to get lost in such a cool car, so you can travel aimlessly for miles on new roads?
Old 06-22-2004, 11:08 PM
Proboscis-free zone

I would have loved to have navi but also could not begin to justify the price differential. I am totally stoked with my non-navi TL. I spent the extra $3900 on a rockin' Power Mac with a 23" monitor. I'll get navi on the next car--when it's STANDARD and has real-time traffic info.

Listen to your brain--$4000 is a lotta dough for a fancy Thomas guide. My 2 cents.

VOdoc
Old 06-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rodney
I have been lurking here for a while and couldn't resist giving my 2 cents on the navi issue at hand. I currently have navigation on my Volvo and paid over 2k for the option. I have used it twice. Thats 1 grand per use. IMHO its totally unnecessary. I can't for the life of me figure when all these people who opt for the feature use it? For the very small(5%) of people who travel in unchartered territory all the time, I understand. I have test driven the TL with and without the navi, and it didn't seem to suffer that much cosmetically without it. Jeff, I'm just trying to play the other side for you since it seems everyone is for it. One other thing, wouldn't it be fun to get lost in such a cool car, so you can travel aimlessly for miles on new roads?
its not always unchartered territory that i use the nav for. detours when there is traffic ahead is helpful. points of interests like ATM's and gas stations. i know the city pretty well but there are alot of streets that are not numbered based that i might have trouble with sometimes. i've had the car since march and i use the navi a few times a week. besides the navi the voice control for the radio and climate is very helpful especially for 6MT.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:57 PM
8th Gear

So the overwhelming concensus is to bite the bullet and get the Navi... Truthfully, last weekend when I went to the closest dealer (90 miles away) my intent was to check out a TSX with Navi, but once I saw the TL in anthracite/ebony I knew I had to have it. But it wasn't the Navi option that sold me on the TL instead of the TSX...I still think the TSX is a great car...but it just isn't in the same category or playing field and it can't even be compared to the TL when it comes to looks and performance. I think the 270 ponies had the greatest effect when it came to me changing my mind. :>)

Thanks to all for the great comments and advice though, and sorry if this is a common topic here, but in defense of being a newbie here I did try to check out the forums for a similar topic before asking for everyone's opinion. But, sigh...I'm still on the fence when it comes to making a choice. Yea, the Navi model definitely looks better and has a lot of other cool features plus will have a better future resale value, but is it worth the extra $3400? Maybe that money would be better spent on other aftermarket goodies? I guess the reality is that demand for the Navi here in SoCal is pretty high right now, so the best I think I'm gonna get a Navi model for is only $500 under MSRP.

Anyway, I prefer to buy in California since buying out of state can be a pain...plus you have to come up with the cash for sales tax once you register it at the DMV. Lastly, if anyone knows of a good CA dealer who might be willing to cut me a better deal, I'd be interested in talking to them.

Jeff
Old 06-23-2004, 12:00 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeffs246

You are kidding, there's practically a new thread every week on "reasons why I love Navi", "Should have gotten Navi", "Navi is not worth the money, get the after market", or "All those who got navi are just trying too hard to justify the purchase"...
Old 06-23-2004, 01:01 AM
From the Desert 2 the sea

To buy a TL without the Navi is like Ice-Cream without the cone.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:10 AM

GEt the Navi.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:21 AM
Advanced

Get the Navi! You will regret it if you do not. The cheapest price I found in SoCal was at Acura of the Desert, who were selling a Navi TL at $2,000 above invoice ($34,120) via their fleet department. However, they did not have the color I wanted. I believe they may be getting a blue/camel combo soon.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:38 AM
Advanced

Go for the NAVI

Love the navi. Also can call any business looked up on navi via bluetooth cell with push of a button. Voice commands are nice also. Paid $32800 minus tax/license but includes destination fee.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:08 AM
Drifting

I paid $2000 off MSRP for a 6mt, Anthracite,ebony, navi car several months ago, and the dealer had to order the car. I waited for 3 weeks, and the wait was worth it IMHO. It's not just the nav features, but the whole package dude! GET IT!! You won't regret it!
Old 07-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Radcliffe1
To buy a TL without the Navi is like Ice-Cream without the cone.
i like ice cream without the cone.........
Old 07-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Go Giants!!

Two items from me:
1) Get the Navi - no question
2) For a $4k difference (rape!), I'd would get an internet price from a different state and fly a low-cost airline there and drive it home, how fun!! You get a vacation, Navi and a cheaper car.

BTW, I've only used Navi for "navigation" a few time (and even those I could have found my destination w/o much work0, but the voice rec, resale and 'cool' factor are worth it, IMHO
Old 07-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Cruisin'

Get the Nav - it's useless unless you do alot of traveling - but it's so much fun talking to your car and having it respond. It was a hard choice because of the price tag but I just didn't want to say "I should've got the nav"
Old 07-20-2004, 11:30 PM
Advanced

I used a pocket pc mounted to my vents in my old car. For me, having a Navi system is a must. You get a whole new level of confidence when you know you won't get lost going somewhere. Having it integrated into the car is just amazing! In NJ I had to pay 3000 for the option due to demand and I don't regret it for a second. I've had the car for two weeks and I've already used it to find a gas station. I used the "show gas stations" voice command to show gas stations on the map and then I scrolled over to one on my route home. I clicked on it and got navigated right over. It's more than a navi - it's voice control, audio interface, and yellow pages as well! If you are on the fence then I'd say to get it if you can afford it. You are about to spend a lot of money - it would suck to feel remorse for not getting the car you really wanted.

Of course this is all written by somone who researched Navis first and then found the best car that had the navi I wanted

-Greg
Old 07-20-2004, 11:54 PM
Instructor

NAVI IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY

1. I'm assuming it's mostly guys in here and since when do we ask for directions
2. Less money will get you a "cool" DVD dash system that will also run DVD movies so you can play Scarface or Swingers while you cruise with your buddies
3. It will pull your attention from where it should be: scanning for cops, finding gaps in traffic, and seeing the girls on the corner that can't take their eyes off your ride

PS. This is a moot point in Canada for me since the Navi doesn't come with 6-speed
Old 07-21-2004, 10:58 AM
Instructor

Douglas Colt posts:

Setting aside the "cool" factor, I subscribe to the it's not worth it (yet) category. Having just purchased a SSM/Ebony AT non-navi, here's my 2 cents:

1) No matter how you call it, price is a big difference. There's a bit of a frenzy going on right now for the navi models and the dealers know they have you by the balls. There are some fantastic deals right now on the non-navi models but you are going to pay through the nose on the navi models. I am very hesitant to buy into a hyped car, having worked in the car business for 3 years and watched what happened to supposedly "hot" cars like the PT cruiser and new Thunderbird. Will the navi help your resale value down the road? Sure. Will it increase the value of the car by the roughly $3K extra you need to pay right now? No. The Bluebook is going to be based (primarily) on original option pricing and you're never going to be able to recover that extra $1K or so that you had to pay over the $2K list option price.

2) All in all, it's a tool. Do you get lost a lot? Do you have to venture into uncharted territory on a regular basis? If no, then really consider why you are buying the feature. I'm a big fan of the free mapquest printouts which I use every 3 weeks or so. Otherwise, it's business as usual in the car and the navi would be a big waste of time.

3) Yes, you're going to want to show off to your friends once or twice the fact that you can talk to your navi system. This is going to get old quickly and there's something to be said about the elegance of pushing a button inside your car to make it do something. Voice control is a fun little feature (love the HFL) but ultimately just a bit of schtick.

For me, it boiled down to these considerations. I was able to strike a great deal on the non-navi model in the exact color combo I wanted ($31,199) with immediate delivery. I'll hold on to the car for 2 years or so, take advantage of the great resale value of the TL and then upgrade at that time to a navi model which likely will be standard with real-time traffic info and substantially upgraded features. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the integrated ipod. :P

Best of luck with the purchase! Either way you go, you're going to be very happy.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:16 AM
Advanced

If the money is not an issue, get it.

If it is, dont.

If you travel a lot, get it.

If this is your normal commute car and you don't do many driving vacations, don't.

I just bought a TL and I did not get the Nav. Yes, I know I am missing the voice commands and the touch screen and the solar sensor, but to me they would have been a toy and not a help. I will be using this as a car to commute in and my wife will be using it around town. I know how to get to my friends and family's houses, so I figured I can always go to mapquest or by a $20 atlas.

The Nav is very cool and if I were not upside down on my trade I probably would have done it, but in the end I could not justify it.

And IMO I still like the dash layout without it.

Oh, yeah. I paid 31 for my non navi.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I have (and would recommend) TL w/ Navi to everyone unless you're really cash-strained. In which case I would get a G35...
Old 07-21-2004, 11:27 AM
2004 Acura TL SSM 6MT

As someone who didn't get the Navi, I have to say that I could take it or leave it at the price. If it was available, I would have sprung for it. Since it wasn't, I didn't. It would be cool to have, but I don't miss it. The worst thing you could do is second guess a $30-35k purchase. Just get what you can and DRIVE IT!
Old 07-21-2004, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Get the navi, but dump the dealer who is charging $4000 difference between nav and non-nav cars.

I got my TL with navi back in November 2003. Initially I thought the navi would be just a toy. However, having used it on several crucial occasions, now I must say that I would not buy another car without one. As someone said, it's like having a car with A/C or without one. Can you live without it? Sure. But will you life be considerably better and more confortable with it? Absolutely!
Old 07-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Everyone is different and has different needs. You've received lots of posts describing other peoples needs but only you can decide if Navi is something that is worth it to you. I'm on one extreme where I chose the Navi before I chose the car. I'll never own another car without built in Navi. I agree with the poster that suggested that it was like getting a car with AC for the first time. Once you have it you may not be able to live without it. Of course there are others who could care less about Navi. They don't get lost and don't mind reading maps to find their way to new places. Paying an additional 3k for navi is pretty crazy from an investment point of view. I plan to keep my TL until it drops. That helps justify the expense. If you plan to keep it for just a few years and hope to recoup the money for the Navi then you will be disapointed. I very much doubt it will make a huge difference in resale value. I would not even expect to get the 2k it is listed for back. They do make some very nice portable navigation systems that can be had for 1k. It doesn't look as nice mounted to your car and the screen in much smaller but at least you can take it with you.

My solution to delemas such as this is to stop thinking about it and just ask myself what I really want. If my heart tells me to get it then I find a way. That's why I ended up in a TL over the Accord (both use the same Navi so they where on the list). I knew I'd regret not getting the TL. I'd never regret not getting the Accord (once my bank account fills back up anyway

Good luck making up your mind!

-Greg

Quick Reply: Navi or Non-Navi - Need Help Choosing!!!