my tl on carfax.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007 | 01:21 PM
Advanced

my tl on carfax.

Hey guys I recently bought by 07 tl type s and had some lady back into it with her tow hook. Her insurance company is paying for it at the shop of my choice. The bumper and the underbody spoiler is going to be replaced. Damage wasn't too bad just a hole in the bumper. The car wasnt even 2 days old when it got hit, does anyone know since it was a minor fender bender if the car will show up on a carfax report. I keep hearing different things, some people say it will and others say it will not. Can anyone help me and let me know or does anyone know of a way to bypass it The car is brand new and i would hate to have it show up on carfax.
Old 01-01-2007 | 01:39 PM
Instructor

The only sure way of telling is to get a carfax report a few months from now on your vehicle (I say a few months because it takes some time for them to get the info and update their system). Their website states that they get their info from thousands of public and private sources including all Departments of Motor Vehicles (DMVs) in the United States and Canada, as well as many vehicle inspection stations, auto auctions, fleet management and rental agencies, automobile manufacturers, and fire and police departments.
Old 01-01-2007 | 01:45 PM
Visionary Styles Crew

if there is a claim with an insurance company or a police report filed, then most likely it's gonna be on carfax.
Old 01-01-2007 | 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

also from insurance companies as well, but the only loopole is that you can pay out of pokect, not tell the police and just settle it without anyone else knowing.
Old 01-01-2007 | 01:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 2007 TLS
Hey guys I recently bought by 07 tl type s and had some lady back into it with her tow hook. Her insurance company is paying for it at the shop of my choice. The bumper and the underbody spoiler is going to be replaced. Damage wasn't too bad just a hole in the bumper. The car wasnt even 2 days old when it got hit, does anyone know since it was a minor fender bender if the car will show up on a carfax report. I keep hearing different things, some people say it will and others say it will not. Can anyone help me and let me know or does anyone know of a way to bypass it The car is brand new and i would hate to have it show up on carfax.
It takes about 3 months to show on carfax. I just went through an ordeal becasue of carfax. My friend had a TSX that was hit in the rear and pushed into a truck in front of him. Over $8K in damages and some serious body work, but becasue the car was driaveble the way carfax listed it was moderate whihc do not have a huge impact on his tradein or reseale. My car was a 07 Camry that I hit the back of an SUV at about 10 MPH, but it was enough to push the raditor and cause a leak and damge the bumper and hood. Becasue it did nto drive away crafax listed it as severe, even though it only had $4k in cometic damage, no structural damage. Yet when I want to unload it I was getting extremely low offers, becasue a carfax of severe usually means structural damage. Now I need to go argue with my insurance that the dimished value of the car was much more than thr $200 they gave me. My guess is you accident if reported will show as minor and will have little or no impact on the cars value. To be sure wait 4 months and pull a carfax, it is $19.99 - $25.
Old 01-01-2007 | 08:33 PM
Unregistered User

Carfax is poor at best.

Wife was in an accident that involved a police report and an insurance claim to her insurance. Two years later, still nothing showed on carfax.
Old 01-01-2007 | 08:37 PM
Race Director

Somoene rear ended my dads car and it never showed up on carfax. However, they do have that buy back gaurante so its not a bad idea to carfax a car before you buy it.
Old 01-02-2007 | 11:31 AM
Racer

I just ran one on my TL and it doesn't show the accident I had two years ago. I ran into the back of someone on a highway. The damage wasn't all that major, no frame damage, but it was costly since the TL was a few months old. It took the body shop two months to fix because they had trouble getting parts. Anyway, it was about $12k total after everything.

Joe
Old 01-02-2007 | 12:48 PM
Safety Car

You would be amazed. I had two cars that were in accidents, both did not show up on CarFax. And one was a new 2003 Pathfinder two weeks old, had 15k of front end damage. Never showed it on CarFax. And still doesn't till this day. It had a police report and insurance paid for it.
Old 01-03-2007 | 08:31 AM
Racer

Makes you wonder how often Carfax loses out on that buyback guarantee they offer. Of course, this is just a few circumstances.

Joe
Old 01-03-2007 | 04:48 PM
8th Gear

Exclamation

Originally Posted by quake97
Makes you wonder how often Carfax loses out on that buyback guarantee they offer.
Based on the following from Carfax:

"CARFAX agrees to pay to the holder of a CARFAX® Vehicle History Report (the "Report") making a Claim (the "Claimant") the Claimant’s purchase price of the vehicle to which the Report relates (the “Vehicle”) up to 10% over the Kelley Blue Book value (see terms 8 and 9 for details)- if:

The Report was provided by CARFAX on or after March 1, 2004.

The Report states that the Vehicle has a title history with no Branded Titles showing, but a Branded Title actually exists.
A "Branded Title" is a passenger motor vehicle ownership or registration document issued by any of the 50 states of the U.S. (or the District of Columbia) or a passenger motor vehicle registration document issued by any province of Canada which was issued with words or symbols signifying that the vehicle was: junked or salvaged; dismantled, rebuilt or reconstructed; flood damaged; fire damaged; hail damaged; bought back by its manufacturer ("Lemon Law" vehicle); odometer exceeds mechanical limits; odometer was not actual mileage; declared a total loss (Canada only); or which was issued with any other symbol or word signifying a similar Brand.
I"m going to guess not that often
Old 01-14-2007 | 10:21 PM
3rd Gear

I had a car that I traded in for a new car. It was my wife's and was involved in two minor fender benders. The dealer buying the car did a car fax on it and neither of the accidents were on it.
Old 01-15-2007 | 08:32 AM
Racer

Oh, I guess the guarantee is only for the bad stuff. I guess that makes more sense.

Joe
Old 01-15-2007 | 09:28 AM
Instructor

To contribute... I had a civic that was T-boned (not too badly) but it NEVER showed up on CarFax.
Old 01-15-2007 | 10:29 AM
AZ Community Team

FWIW, my wife's Legend was in a minor head-on accident (airbag did not deploy) that resulted in ~$2K in damage that had a Howard County Police report (other driver was cited for failure to yield at stoplight). It showed up on CarFax.
Old 01-15-2007 | 11:16 AM
Pro

My friend's dad owns a pretty big used car lot. My friend insinuated that it is very easy for his dad to have accidents and other "bad" things removed from CarFax on the vehicles his dad sells. I used to hang around their car lot quite a bit and I watched them pull up hundreds of CarFax reports on all kinds of vehicles and inevitably, every report came back spotless. I don't really understand how they did it, but they did.

So in conclusion, I think CarFax is pretty useless and wildly inaccurate. But most people don't know that and they put a lot of stock in the CarFax report. So if the car comes back as being in an accident they wont' buy it, but assume that if it comes back clean that it must be perfect. However that couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 01-15-2007 | 05:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ive had plenty of cars with accidents that showed as spotless on carfax.

Oh and make sure you try and hit up their insurance company for diminished value. Probably not worth much, but it may be a couple hundred bucks.