Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY Rear Bumper fell off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 09:41 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry MY Rear Bumper fell off!!!

The weirdest thing happened Saturday Night. I was driving home from a friends house at about 2 AM when I pulled off the Highway to get some gas. When I got out of the car, I noticed that my bumper was falling off. The bumper was also torn, because it's all plastic. When I left my friends house, the car was fine, because we were all admiring it, and no one hit me in the back either. After being so shocked, I noticed that the screws that hold the bumper on the car (The screws are located in the wheel well closest to the trunk) were missing. I was able to temporally push the bumper back into the frame and took it to the dealer the next morning. I would like the dealer to replace the bumper at no cost to me. This is a new car and should not be falling apart like this so soon. They are giving me the run around saying that they had to wait for there General Manager of Service to make a decision and for some reason, he is never there. Any Idea how I should go about this so I can get the car repaired at no cost to me?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Advanced

just be firm with and insistent that they fix it...Acura always talks about their 100% customer satisfaction, now is there chance to prove it. Always go to the top of the food chain...if head of service wont help go to head of dealership
Old 05-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Very special case here...

Sorry to hear that. Based on this Garage#E-094 thread, https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109191 , I really have no idea how the bumper fell off. It's weird. I hope your dealer could give you the answer for that.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'm with rets. That's really unusual. I haven't heard of anything like this on a 3G TL before. Are you sure your buddies didn't do this while you were in the house?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:21 AM
7th Gear

No, these are mature people who wouldnt do such a thing..
Old 05-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
It doesn't really make sense that the screws just fell off and the bumper just fell off. I had to remove the for an install, and Even with the screws off, the bumper really doesn't just fall off either.

My bet is the dealer won't replace, but good luck anyway.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well they have to have the general manager look at it and make a decision since it invloves unusual circumstances. I know it does not make any sense. They might examine the bumper for damage that might relate to someone hitting or tampering with the car. I had something happen years ago where the chrome peeled off the bumper and I took it in and the dealer only wanted to inspect that it was not damaged from being hit in any way.

But acuras (this model in particular) has not been famous for wonderful assembly. It is a gamble when you buy one since so many of them rattle. They probably all do but many people put up with subtle rattles. All you can do is insist that it was not accident related, but if they see any signs of damaged aside from workmenship you will probably have to pay the deductible.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:03 AM
7th Gear

I have a n appointment with the General Manager this afternoon. I will let you folks know the outcome..
Old 05-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by iketl
The weirdest thing happened Saturday Night. I was driving home from a friends house at about 2 AM when I pulled off the Highway to get some gas. When I got out of the car, I noticed that my bumper was falling off. The bumper was also torn, because it's all plastic. When I left my friends house, the car was fine, because we were all admiring it, and no one hit me in the back either. After being so shocked, I noticed that the screws that hold the bumper on the car (The screws are located in the wheel well closest to the trunk) were missing. I was able to temporally push the bumper back into the frame and took it to the dealer the next morning. I would like the dealer to replace the bumper at no cost to me. This is a new car and should not be falling apart like this so soon. They are giving me the run around saying that they had to wait for there General Manager of Service to make a decision and for some reason, he is never there. Any Idea how I should go about this so I can get the car repaired at no cost to me?
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahaha
Old 05-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealer has to fix it, it is covered under warrenty and this is a defect. Be stern. BTW, my dad was went with a friend who was buying a car, and the salesman said he had to go talk to the manager and he came back 5 minutes later. So my dads friend said: "there isnt really a manager is there" and the salesman responded "no." So the point is sometimes they might just not feel like dealing with you, read their badge.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:30 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Wow. The bumper fell off! Definitely a friday afternoon car
Old 05-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by iketl
i highly doubt the bumper fell of without being hit by something. did you ever have the bumper off and myabe forget to put some onf the bolts back in? even with all bolts and clips removed from the bumper you have to give a decent pull to get it off.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:53 PM
Boondocks fanatic.....

If there was no visible damage to the rear bumper and there are screws missing, then it should be an easy fix for them. I would go speak with the sales manager to see if he/she can get this taken care of for you. I have no tolerance for individuals that give me the run around.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:38 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I seriously doubt the cover would just fall off without some help. My guess is that someone may have tried to steal it and for some reason didn't finish the job. Like the others said with all of the screws and clips holding the covers on it seems unlikely to fall off.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:21 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

I've noticed the gap between my bumper and rear quarter is growing. It used to be really tight, no air whatsoever, but now it's got a gap I can put a dime in and getting worse. Especially on the drivers side. Looks like a dealer trip for me.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Racer

the sides can fall of if the lock washers werent there or the screws werent tightened.. its possible..
Old 05-12-2005, 09:00 AM
7th Gear

The bumper didn't fall off completely. We found out that the screws that held the bumper in the wheel well were loose. If it wasn't tightened in the first place, they can fall out after a while when it gets wind resistance. The bumper is plastic so it will tear with the wind pulling at it, which is what happened.
Because the bumper has to be replaced, it costs $400 + . Per the dealer, only the service director can authorize changing it at no cost to me. He will not be at the dealership for another 2 weeks. They have temporary screws and pin holding the part of the bumper that came loose until they replace it. I am going to get Acura involved until this issue is resolved..
Old 05-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would not want to wait for a service director. Hell if the service manager was convinced it was a manufacturing defect, I would think that would be enough.. . Wait two weeks for another opinion... that sucks. now that would be a pain in the arse. Sure it is their idea of due process and you can still drive the car but, how many people does it take to make a decision.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:21 AM
7th Gear

That's exactly how I feel..
Old 05-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Did you ever stop and think that maybe, just maybe, someone tried to steal your bumper?
Old 05-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Did you ever stop and think that maybe, just maybe, someone tried to steal your bumper?
its at lot easier to just steal the car and chop up the car in a garage...