Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My one month after buying the TL review

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,148 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by THE SLEEPER
I too am sorry that I bought my tl. And I feel your pain. But all the guys on here that are too ashamed to man up and admit the tl has some serious issues for a car of its stature and price class are just immature or inexperienced. Its like "we wont talk about it and maybe it will just go away", but just the leather issues and paint that are going to kill my resale value are enough to steer me away from acura in the future.

I see someone else got the wrong car-- most of us probably have enough maturity and experience to understand how a TL differs from a G35, 350Z, 330i, RSX-S, STi, etc.

You may have leather and paint issues, but the great majority of us do not- which is why most of us don't talk about it, and why the TL works out as a good choice, at least for some of the more mature owners.
You may want to contact Acura or the nearest dealer to make a warranty claim for any defects arising ownership of the car.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:14 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Originally Posted by mikiTL
You're probably too young to appreciate the TL for what it is- a plush, comfortable ride for enjoying leisurely and spirited driving.
I don't think 'too young' is the right term in this case. I think it's more about the mentality. I'm 18, 19 in December, and I love the TL. I absolutely LOVE driving, proved practically everyone wrong when they said I'd get bored of driving. You are most definetely right though. The TL is a "plush, comfortable ride for enjoying leisurely and spirited driving" that has a little bit of everything there is to offer.
But--then that's just me because I'd enjoy almost any car that I'd have to drive.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:33 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I to am a somewhat disappointed w/ my TL A-Spec, but then again i am coming off of owning a C5 Z06, so its to be expected. lol

When i had my vette i had Dakota as a beater and after having my kid, i got tired of making payments on a car that i maybe put 400 miles on a month if that. I was fortunate to get a great deal on my car from a seller who was about to trade it because his G35 was waiting for him to take delivery at the dealer. I can probably drive the car for another year and get out of it what i paid for it, which was a huge incentive for me to buy it. Top that off with when i bought it between the equity that i had in the truck and the vette i only had to finance about $2k, and it would have been stupid not to by the TL. As often as i get to drive my car "spiritedly" versus as much time as i spend sitting in Atlanta traffic, the 6speed TL was good trade off. The Honda reliability coupled w/ one of the best in class interiors for the time as well as all the options that the car comes with is hard to beat for the price that you can get a TL for.

If i could do it all over again knowing what i know now, i would have looked into some other cars like the Legacy Spec.B, G8, S4, CTS-V, etc. Then again w/ gas prices being what they are now, i'm kinda glad i didn't. Am i so unhappy w/ the car that i am going to unload it asap? Not at all especially w/ the positive equity that i have in it, but then again i could be happier so i can relate to some of the other posts made thus far.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It all comes down to what you want. If you want an all out performance car, IMHO anything FWD outside of an Integra race car is not a smart decision. I've owned a ton of vehicles since I was able to drive too, I've had a bunch of trucks, SUVs, a 285whp WRX and a 565whp STi and an IS300... and I can say that my TL Type S is the most well-rounded car I've owned so far. Maybe I'm getting old already, but luxury features and comfort + performance is more desireable to me now than a car that puts the fear of Jesus in you when you mash the gas and requires you to visit the chiropractor after a long drive in it.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:13 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by THE SLEEPER
.... I too am sorry that I bought my tl. And I feel your pain. But all the guys on here that are too ashamed to man up and admit the tl has some serious issues for a car of its stature and price class are just immature or inexperienced. Its like "we wont talk about it and maybe it will just go away", but just the leather issues and paint that are going to kill my resale value are enough to steer me away from acura in the future.
IMHO, you're off base .... but just a little.

It depends on your expectations (stature?? ) and how you intend to use the car.

Anybody who bought this car thinking it was Performance Sedan or, even worse, a Sports Car is delusional. It's not an M3 or Z06 and never will be.

Sure you can mod it up a little and make it sportier. Yeah, you can track it or AutoX it or take it on a mountain/canyon run every now-and-then and have a lot of fun doing it.

But at the end of the day, it's built to be a daily driver family sedan with a some sportiness built in. Doing that job, it's a pretty outstanding car. Not to mention, it's a great Value at it's price point/market segment.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bearcat94

Anybody who bought this car thinking it was Performance Sedan or, even worse, a Sports Car is delusional. It's not an M3 or Z06 and never will be.

Sure you can mod it up a little and make it sportier. Yeah, you can track it or AutoX it or take it on a mountain/canyon run every now-and-then and have a lot of fun doing it.

But at the end of the day, it's built to be a daily driver family sedan with a some sportiness built in. Doing that job, it's a pretty outstanding car. Not to mention, it's a great Value at it's price point/market segment.
Exactly
Old 06-24-2008, 09:22 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by Bearcat94

/thread
Old 06-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Maybe I'm getting old already, but luxury features and comfort + performance is more desireable to me now than a car that puts the fear of Jesus in you when you mash the gas and requires you to visit the chiropractor after a long drive in it.
Agreed, when I bought my TL last week I test drive an 04 G35 as well. My "younger" self would've probably picked the G35 in an instant.

The decision was pretty simple - TL. Sure the G35 felt a little faster (not that much) and probably handled better at the limit. But honestly I don't care. The interior of the TL alone made it a no brainer. I'm actually loving 4 doors now. Wow I'm getting old. Scary actually.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by CasperTL04
Agreed, when I bought my TL last week I test drive an 04 G35 as well. My "younger" self would've probably picked the G35 in an instant.

The decision was pretty simple - TL. Sure the G35 felt a little faster (not that much) and probably handled better at the limit. But honestly I don't care. The interior of the TL alone made it a no brainer. I'm actually loving 4 doors now. Wow I'm getting old. Scary actually.
There's no comparison between the 3Gen TL and 1Gen G35 in the interior department. G35 is very bad in that regard, and the exterior leaves alot to be desired as well.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:15 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by anx1300c
There's no comparison between the 3Gen TL and 1Gen G35 in the interior department. G35 is very bad in that regard, and the exterior leaves alot to be desired as well.
I definatley will agree with you on that, the g35 interior sucks blls. It looks so cheap and the guage cluster makes me want to puke. The TL i think has the best in class looks and best interior in its class. I think only a mercedes e class is near the same level interior wise.

As far as my leather problems, my TL is in an upolstry shop getting custom 2 toned black and grey leather. Currently my interior is grey leather which is kind of bland, but my dash and doors are black up top grey down low, so i'm adding black side bolsters and keeping the insides of the seats grey. The roof and carpeting will now be black as well. I'll post pictures when i get it back.

Next step, aspec kit, suspension and wheels. I think i caught the mod bug... i'm thinking i may murder the car and carbon fiber the hood roof and trunk and then slam it on some black bbs lmr's with a red lip.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BLACKLIST
I definatley will agree with you on that, the g35 interior sucks blls. It looks so cheap and the guage cluster makes me want to puke. The TL i think has the best in class looks and best interior in its class. I think only a mercedes e class is near the same level interior wise.

As far as my leather problems, my TL is in an upolstry shop getting custom 2 toned black and grey leather. Currently my interior is grey leather which is kind of bland, but my dash and doors are black up top grey down low, so i'm adding black side bolsters and keeping the insides of the seats grey. The roof and carpeting will now be black as well. I'll post pictures when i get it back.

Next step, aspec kit, suspension and wheels. I think i caught the mod bug... i'm thinking i may murder the car and carbon fiber the hood roof and trunk and then slam it on some black bbs lmr's with a red lip.
Definitely post pics when done.

I do like the TL's interior, but I think the IS350's is slightly better. Never looked inside an E Class.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
$120 on a Progress RSB and upgrade the tires if they're still the shitty stock ones. Its a whole different car after that...
Old 06-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Advanced

This is nuts

How can u say the car is not a good car I just purchased an 05 tl AT5 with Nav with only 16K on the clock it is getting 27mpg city/hwy total this is great its fun to drive look good and it turns heads around here when people see it.

my other car is an 05 Caddy DTS and let me tell you I have more fun with the TL than I do with the DTS ant the DTS has a v8 northstar in it the TL is one of the most fun cars I have and I have to fight my wife off to drive it as I purchased it for her and she loves it too

Some people here have to grow up and see what they have right in front of them fun fun fun till daddy takes the TL away
Old 06-26-2008, 06:32 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by markbento
How can u say the car is not a good car I just purchased an 05 tl AT5 with Nav with only 16K on the clock it is getting 27mpg city/hwy total this is great its fun to drive look good and it turns heads around here when people see it.

my other car is an 05 Caddy DTS and let me tell you I have more fun with the TL than I do with the DTS ant the DTS has a v8 northstar in it the TL is one of the most fun cars I have and I have to fight my wife off to drive it as I purchased it for her and she loves it too

Some people here have to grow up and see what they have right in front of them fun fun fun till daddy takes the TL away
dude what the f*ck are you talking about? i am in my mid 20's, am active duty in the military, and going to college. I paid for my car in cash. So how the hell do you think you know me well enough to claim that my parents are paying for my car. I'm not some immature kid who doesn't know a thing about cars. I've owned a 500hp low 11 second 03 cobra that i drove as a daily driver. I have always done all of the work on my cars myself and i have paid for everything i own. A TL is not some super luxury whip that only the elite can drive, so don't get all butthurt when you see someone driving one younger than you because you were driving a pinto at my age.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Relax, you can't blame people for being surprised when young people own expensive cars.

Anyways, I agee that the TL isn't all that, but it is good for its price range. No it's not as fast as a Mustang Cobra (or even the newer Mustang GT) but it's way more luxurious with many more features, and no it's not as good as the BMW 335i but it's far cheaper, and I don't think there is any other car in the TLs price range that can match it as an all-around performer (maybe the G35, but that TL looks a lot better).
Old 06-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
here we go with the bashing again...

My friend has 335, a sexy car indeed, for cruising in the local, we take his car, for any longer trips he comes on running into my TL-S....

A combo of performance and entry luxury is what sets a TL far apart from autos in its class.
My original purchase was going to be an E550, after doing some math with gas and maintenance, it didn't make sense to me own such an expensive car, and a TL-S was the winner, with lots $$$ saved.

I see plenty of young high school kids driving in SL, Ms, and every high end luxury sport cars... Good for them.... I hope someday I will able to provide the same to my kids. Do I still dislike them, when they get into their brabuses? Hell Yes, but it's more of an envy
Old 06-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Instructor

dude what the f*ck are you talking about? i am in my mid 20's, am active duty in the military, and going to college. I paid for my car in cash. So how the hell do you think you know me well enough to claim that my parents are paying for my car. I'm not some immature kid who doesn't know a thing about cars. I've owned a 500hp low 11 second 03 cobra that i drove as a daily driver. I have always done all of the work on my cars myself and i have paid for everything i own. A TL is not some super luxury whip that only the elite can drive, so don't get all butthurt when you see someone driving one younger than you because you were driving a pinto at my age.
Nice..

Old 06-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
I see plenty of young high school kids driving in SL, Ms, and every high end luxury sport cars... Good for them.... I hope someday I will able to provide the same to my kids.
Not me man, people like that who always had whatever they wanted will not enjoy life... I will not buy my kids anything too fancy no matter how much money I have. Parents who shower their kids with expensive gifts like high end cars are not doing them any favors. When I was in high school I drove a ten year old Dodge Shadow. That makes me realize how great of a car the TL really is and appreciate it more.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
^ They will receive such rewards if they are on top of their class. If they are good kids. I'm from European decent, we only reward if you have proven you deserve it.

My kids will work their asses off. Just I like did.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Babnik
Not me man, people like that who always had whatever they wanted will not enjoy life... I will not buy my kids anything too fancy no matter how much money I have. Parents who shower their kids with expensive gifts like high end cars are not doing them any favors. When I was in high school I drove a ten year old Dodge Shadow. That makes me realize how great of a car the TL really is and appreciate it more.
Its all relative, they're driving around in a Range Rover until they get a top spot in one of their parents companies later on life, allowing them to buy a Gallardo, letting them appreciate the Lambo that much more Same difference, just with a higher price tag.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ..Mark..
Nice..

ROTFLMAO

Poor Markbento. That was undoubtedly the least hospitable welcome in Acurazine's history.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just purchased a pre-owned tl as well....having my own issues as well...
Old 07-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Advanced

Look dweeb if you read the post all the way then you would have understood that I did not say your daddy bought out the car the last line was from the song when daddy took the tbird away and it was only ment that the TL was fun to drive and as far as the pinto go's no I never did own one but it is snot ass kids like you that do give the younger gen a bad name because instead of asking the question about what was ment you jump in with bot feet and just asume and if you are in the milt you know what happens when you asume right you make an ass out of you and me.

so take your finger and sit and rotate on it.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:09 PM
邵樂百

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Was I the ONLY one that caught the Beach Boys song reference? "And she'll have fun fun fun til her daddy takes the t-bird away"

Relax you guys....life's too f*ckin' short!
Old 08-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
TL are the shi****. i drive a baisc and i still likes it. it has a ugly silver but i still like it i was rushing when i bought it and bought it for to much. but i still like it i just hate the seats i dont think they would last 2 more years