Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new car adventure

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 08:32 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My new car adventure

I finally decided that it was time to buy a new car at the end of 2004.
I've been driving My Honda CRX SI for 17 years. I bought it new in 1988.
It has 208,000 miles on it and still runs fine. I have since grown a family
so I needed something with four doors.

I looked at three cars, the BMW330, Inifiniti G35 and the Acura TL. I was leaning
more towards the G35 from the start. So one Saturday, I went to the dealer
to take a test drive. I test drove the 2004 Sedan 6-speed. I wasn't that
impressed with the car. I didn't think the interior looked all that nice. The
shifting wasn't as smooth as my expectations and the ride was a little harsher
than expected. I told the sales guy if I was going to buy one, I'd wait for the
2005 model with 298Hp. I then left the Infiniti dealer for the BMW dealer.

The BMW sales guy wasn't agressive like the Inifiniti guy. However there wasn't
a 330 on the lot. And he said the price would be around $40k. So he had me test drive the 325i. I loved the way the 325 drove. But it didn't have much power. I was now leaning towards the BMW. I've always heard how great they drive and I could tell. Unfortunatly, my friends who have BMWs talk about the cost of maintenance and how often they've been in the shop so I wasn't convinced that was the car for me, especially after driving the same car for 17 years that has had NO problems.

So finally I drop by the Acura dealer, the sales guy is very laidback and lets me
test drive a 6-Spd TL. I was very impressed the way it shifted. It seemed to have
descent power too. The interior was so much nicer than the G35. Having been a Honda owner for most of my life I decided to continue to be loyal and go with the TL. I had to order the car NPB/Ebony/6-spd/Nav. It took a month to come in.

When I finally saw the car for the first time I was amazed how how good it looked.
It drives great. I'm glad I got the Nav, its allowed me to re-route myself around a few wrecks.

Of course, I hope It will be as dependable as my CRX. My gut tells me it won't be though. It just has too much high tech gadgets that can break. Also my CRX VIN begins with J my Acura begins with 1. Working in High tech, I know things go wrong. I'd really like to get at least 150K miles out of this baby. Right now I'm at 180 miles and have been treating by new baby nicely, No full throttles or high revs. I'm waiting for 1000 miles before I start having some real fun. I broke in the CRX the same way and look how far it go me.

So far no rattles.

2005 NPB/Ebony/6-spd/Nav
1988 Crx Si
1990 Accord Ex
1999 Odyssey Ex
Old 02-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Safety Car

wow congrats on the new car. your expectations are reasonable. modern cars these days have so many gadgets in them that there is more room for problems. i can't see too many developing but we'll see as time goes on. i have about 20K on the car so far and have had zero majorn issues. had a rattling problem with the subwoofer but was fixed by the dealer.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Mine (Anthracite/Ebony/6MT/Nav) has been great, except for a flatlined outside temperature display last August/September that managed to completely discharge my battery when the car sat for 5 days without being used. Other than that, it's been a great machine and one heck of a lot of fun. A very nice fit between a measure of luxury (which the wife likes) and a measure of performance, which is my side of the street.

Oh, I have nearly 10,500 miles on it now.. bought it July 17th last year.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Old 02-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tdjvfr
I finally decided that it was time to buy a new car at the end of 2004.
I've been driving My Honda CRX SI for 17 years. I bought it new in 1988.
It has 208,000 miles on it and still runs fine. I have since grown a family
so I needed something with four doors.

I looked at three cars, the BMW330, Inifiniti G35 and the Acura TL. I was leaning
more towards the G35 from the start. So one Saturday, I went to the dealer
to take a test drive. I test drove the 2004 Sedan 6-speed. I wasn't that
impressed with the car. I didn't think the interior looked all that nice. The
shifting wasn't as smooth as my expectations and the ride was a little harsher
than expected. I told the sales guy if I was going to buy one, I'd wait for the
2005 model with 298Hp. I then left the Infiniti dealer for the BMW dealer.

The BMW sales guy wasn't agressive like the Inifiniti guy. However there wasn't
a 330 on the lot. And he said the price would be around $40k. So he had me test drive the 325i. I loved the way the 325 drove. But it didn't have much power. I was now leaning towards the BMW. I've always heard how great they drive and I could tell. Unfortunatly, my friends who have BMWs talk about the cost of maintenance and how often they've been in the shop so I wasn't convinced that was the car for me, especially after driving the same car for 17 years that has had NO problems.

So finally I drop by the Acura dealer, the sales guy is very laidback and lets me
test drive a 6-Spd TL. I was very impressed the way it shifted. It seemed to have
descent power too. The interior was so much nicer than the G35. Having been a Honda owner for most of my life I decided to continue to be loyal and go with the TL. I had to order the car NPB/Ebony/6-spd/Nav. It took a month to come in.

When I finally saw the car for the first time I was amazed how how good it looked.
It drives great. I'm glad I got the Nav, its allowed me to re-route myself around a few wrecks.

Of course, I hope It will be as dependable as my CRX. My gut tells me it won't be though. It just has too much high tech gadgets that can break. Also my CRX VIN begins with J my Acura begins with 1. Working in High tech, I know things go wrong. I'd really like to get at least 150K miles out of this baby. Right now I'm at 180 miles and have been treating by new baby nicely, No full throttles or high revs. I'm waiting for 1000 miles before I start having some real fun. I broke in the CRX the same way and look how far it go me.

So far no rattles.

2005 NPB/Ebony/6-spd/Nav
1988 Crx Si
1990 Accord Ex
1999 Odyssey Ex
U pick a good choice!I came from a 92 Prelude 4WS Si and it had 185k mile on it and still ran strong with NOS 75HP shot.I plan on taking the 04TL on a 4k miles trip this summer.I will get lots of pics in each state i go through.Congrats on the TL.Coming from Key West Florida back to Seattle Wa.The Tl will be on a Trailer to Key West.Taking a Uhaul to Key West To drop of furniture for family.)4TL NBP Ebony no-navi(im the navigator)
Old 02-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I know about the car it may not make it quite as long as the honda with no problems, but probably nothing major. My uncle has a 98 CL with 82k miles on it and the only thing that went wrong was with a brake caliper. Electronics are probably more likely to have problems then the actual mechanics, and mechanics are usually what costs the big money to fix. Good luck with it, I hope to be getting ours soon.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:21 PM
jjy
Intermediate

congrats on your new car!

I was also considering a bmw, 330 or m3, but, like you, after hearing from friends about how much their car is in the shop, I decided against it. Dependability is very important to me. I think you and I made the smart decision.

I have over 2K miles now and not a single problem w/ the car! (except that it got dinged last night , see other thread!)
Old 02-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Team Nighthawk President

Looks like Marysville has been cranking out the NBPs....welcome to the forum. Please feel free to check out the thread on Team Nighthawk..its in my sig. Let me know if you are interested in joining.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:31 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Great Choice
Old 02-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
i've always wanted to buy a CRX SI as a project car!!