Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dealership experience (not good)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
My dealership experience (not good)

I took my 04' TL with 35,000 miles on the clock to Boyland Acura in Appleton Wisconsin a week and a half ago (2 weeks on Saturday). Here is the list of issues I wanted fixed/looked at: Paint peeling on rear bumper cover under LR tail light, sun roof rattle, center spearker rattle, click in clutch lever, HFL locked up, and paint defects in the hood/roof/LF fender, I also complained about the serious dash fade issue. Here was the outcome-paint peeling is not there problem, it was probably rubbed at some point (mind you it is peeling from where the mating surface is between the BC and quarter panel). They put some felt in to fix the rattles for the sun roof and center speaker. They replaced the clutch master cylinder and replaced the HFL module. They say that paint defects were caused by industrial fallout, bird shit, tree sap, ect. and it's not their problem. Now for the dash, they said that it is normal wear and tear. I asked if they even tried to clean and condition it and he said "I guess we could try some leather conditioner on it". I think it's sad that they didn't even try to address it, instead call it wear and tear. That to me is bull. The rear BC really pisses me off, since they once again say, oh-not our fault, sorry. The district manager even looked at it and said the same things as the bodyshop that looked at it. My point is, I love my car and want to get 4G eventually, but if Acura treats there customers with such a cavalier attitude I will have to look elsewhere. I took it to a local bodyshop that does warranty work for Saturn and he said that they have done warranty work for the same issue as my car has with the paint on the hood. Don't tell me I have to buy a Saturn to get warranty work done, damn. I did get an 07' RDX for a loaner, but it was almost out of gas and was so dirty I couldn hardly see the nav screen. I got it home and had to dust and vacuum it out. Not a good representation for the dealership or Acura. Any thoughts on how I can pound on them about the peeling paint and dash fade? There is a Lexus dealer 200 yards from the Acura lot, hmmmmm. This dealership is only a year old and the next closest one is 2 hours away (this one is 1+).
thanks,
Eric
Old 11-14-2007, 04:08 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
wow.... i'm afraid to take mine in now..... I've got the same paint peel issue on the LEFT REAR brake light housing area.... It looks like chipped/brittle paint peel..

Old 11-14-2007, 08:22 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to say this comes as no supprise given Acura Dealership service history.

The paint issues beside the bumpers I fully expected them to deny warranty.

Acura knows darn well the paint on the bumpers, especially in 04, was less than adequate. It's purely a business move to deny fixing it - and I fully understand that. But that is what they should tell you, not make other lame excuses for why the issue is "your" fault not Acura's. This is exactly why Acura will never have the same name brand appeal as Lexus or Infinity - too much negative press in the service arena...
Old 11-14-2007, 10:53 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
This type of service is horrible. I had a couple problems a few weeks ago and I was given the same "Um, so what, you bought the car, live with it, we don't care." attitude.

You could always try Acura Corporate, it worked for me and about every one else I've heard using it. Idk if the paint would be covered? but the speaker should be replaced if there is a defect with it. I'm on my 3rd one
Old 11-15-2007, 12:28 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blueracer17
This dealership is only a year old and the next closest one is 2 hours away (this one is 1+)
I am willing to bet that if you drive those two hours, you will get a different response. You have at least a 50/50 chance of it!
Old 11-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Pro

I called Acura Client services and they said they would put a case manager on it. They also said that the paint peeling is not covered under warranty and any work they did would be out of "good will". So I guess Acura really doesn't care about there customers or potential new customers. I was so close to buying a G35X, but the damn TL looks so good (when the paint isn't falling off it)
Old 11-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blueracer17
I called Acura Client services and they said they would put a case manager on it. They also said that the paint peeling is not covered under warranty and any work they did would be out of "good will". So I guess Acura really doesn't care about there customers or potential new customers.
You'll make yourself miserable looking at it that way - it's not personal, and Acura didn't promise you perfection.

It's a business - they've figured out that agreeing to fix every peeling paint issue would cost more in the long run than making some people unhappy - they have lots of MBAs and lawyers who thought it through.

They did put a case manager on it, which costs them real money, just to make you happy. They didn't tell you to f**k off.

If you REALLY want it fixed, find a way to make it clear it will cost them more to say no, than to fix it. I don't know how you do that, exactly. Maybe you tell them about this site, post pics and all their written responses. Maybe you tell them you'll bring it back in for every tiny problem, to dealer after dealer, and refuse the work if they say its not covered (and actually do it).
Old 11-15-2007, 10:45 AM
'04 NBP TL AT/Navi

you only have 35k on an '04? wish I could do that. I average about 25k a year..
does your car sit outside a lot for long periods of time? Leather conditioner did wonders for my dash.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Instructor

AeroSpace 303 protectant....use it about once every 2 weeks or so on the dash, after the 3rd treatment you will see your dash coming back....mine was very faded...after a year of just regular use when i clean the car...my dash looks almost new...WEST MARINE carries it....works great on the doors and any plastic rubber in the car....will keep it looking almost brand new....give it try, and give it time to really soak in...your dash will look new..
Old 11-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Pro

My biggest gripe is that sometimes they cover these things, sometimes they don't. Some guys get new dashes, I get "sorry it's normal). I don't want a new dash, just fix this one if possible and ADMIT there is a problem. If they say hey, we never have and never will cover paint peeling or dash fade I would go away, but they didn't and they don't so that's what upsets me. Its a frickn' car, I just need to get over it. Good luck to the rest of you. And to the mod, I started another thread to address the warranty issue that doesn't seem to be handled the same in all cases. I just wanted a quick and easy way to see what others have experienced with this. Sorry for cluttering up your forum. I ordered the 303 cleaner and protectant already and will try to fix it myself. As for the paint, whatever, I'll live with it. Don't want to spend $500 to fix Acuras quality issue. At least the dealer fixed, I think, my other issues.