Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my car was broken into last night

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my car was broken into last night

Gee how dumb am I. Why would I think that setting the alarm on my car was even necessary. I was under the impression that if someone tried to break into the vehicle the horn would go off but this morning to my amazement I see that it just isn't so.
I walk out this morning to my 05 TL which is going back in 6 weeks (lease is over) and I see this 2" x 3" rock on my roof near the windshield. Perplexed I start thinking some punk ass put it there, and then I see small rock debris (small real small) all over the hood and roof. I walk around the back and see nothing strange except more rock pieces where the rear glass meets the trunk. I get to the passenger side and to my horror the windows been smashed in. My heart sunk. I walked over and took a look inside and I see the glove compartment open my Ipod and docking station gone and 2 sets of sunglasses and my empty for the most part dvd audio's. I have been violated. Tell the wife to call the cops. The inside seats are covered in glass and The black moulding at the bottom of the window is all damaged from the rock the goof pummeled it with. I speak to the police and they aint comin over to look at the damage and possibly lift any prints as "it isn't worth the time and effort" right I say... parked on a rural road nabbing poor speeders is much more worth the effort. Hmph. They tell me to report it online!!!
OK, now I am furious and start trying to clean up the glass as it is over my seats and dont I cut myself!!! Cursing I just throw down a jacket to sit on to get to work and park it inside my shop so I can clean it up. I called Acura to enquire about their state of the art security system and the guy tells me the alarm won't go off if the glass is broken and if after the hoodlum simply opens the door locks using the door lock opener button. I askedhim to repeat this to me as I have never heard anything so friggen stupid in my life. I said if the car is armed and someone trys to open the doorlocks from inside the car it makes no sense. Now wouldn't every thief know this? Sure thats why the guy bust the glass, he knew the alarm would not be activated then simply pushed the door lock switch. Brilliant!!! So now that all of us have a false sense of security, you might be better off leaving the car unlocked and unarmed from now on as that won't costyou $300.00 for a new window!!! It all makes sense now why I never hear alarms in the wee hours of the morning and only between 8 and 9. The only time they go off is if you accidently hit the panic button when fumbling with the keys....

I am really pissed off today and I can't claim the Ipod or the docking station or anything as that goes under my house insurance and that has a 500.00 deductable. What a freakin day this has been.!!!

On the good side I am thankful that the loser low life scum sucker was to stupid to realize that I had $4000.00 of golf equipment in the trunk and $1800.00 worht of pre paid golf coupons in the console....whew I feel lucky!!!!

Have a good day and don't arm your car it's pointless.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Team NBP

so sorry to hear about that. i can feel your anger! m*therf*ckin' scumbag thieves!!!!!

i actually didn't know that either (about the alarm not going off if the windows were busted).

glad the clubs weren't taken!!!!!
Old 06-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Racer

Yes most factory alarms don't go off if you break the window. however if you have it armed and the thief unlocks the doors and opens it then the alarm usually goes off. So you're saying that if you break the window and then reach in and hit the unlock button on the door that the alarm won't go off if you open the door? that's ghey. even my 18 year old nissan 300zx goes off if you reach in and unlock the door and open it.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Intermediate

Thats what the service tech said although he could have technically just reached in and fumbled around, but then that wasn't possible as the dvd's were in the drivers door slot. OK I am right then unless this thug had 5 foot arms. I want to rip his head off!~~~ My Ipod of all things, how could I have left it in there!!!
This guy I think has been to my place before I believe. About 6 months ago my wifes car stunk like smoke one morning and everything inside was disheveled. She had forgotton to arm or lock the car that night (02 300m special). Now that was perfect. Outsid eof the smell of tobacco all was well. No brocken glass either. We almost never realized that anyone had been in the vehicle.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mind me asking where you live and what type of living situation you are in? Condo? Townhome? Apartment? Inner city boondocks?

D
Old 06-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
You should've gone directly to the police station and insisted to speak with the chief. That's BS. I had a vandalism years ago where two kids slashed my tires. Fortunately, I was awake and chased the kids, effectively grabbing a girl that was with them. After dragging her home and plopping her down in a chair, I called the police and they came and just let her go. Fortunately, I was friends with a sargeant, who I called the next day. He went to her house and got everything he needed from her. I ended up receiving restitution for the two tires.

My point is, prints could've been lifted, and furthermore, some detective work could've been done on your behalf. These types of break ins are often not random and eventually the thief gets caught. You should still go speak to the chief in person. You have every right to be infuriated.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
somebody should try this to see if it's really true...
roll down your windows, lock your vehicle, then reach in and push the unlock button and see if the alarm goes off.....
Old 06-27-2008, 06:02 PM
I'M BACK!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lights
somebody should try this to see if it's really true...
roll down your windows, lock your vehicle, then reach in and push the unlock button and see if the alarm goes off.....
i did the other day..i rolled down a window and locked the car..my friend actually pulled the lock and opened the door and the alarm didnt go off. we tried again and he pushed the unlock button..and stil nothing went off.

well its "anti theft" not an alarm..either way...its bs how an expensive ass car cant have an alarm that goes off when a window is broken.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:06 PM
now with four rings

very sorry to hear about your bad day man...

i'm not surprised the cops didn't even come out to get a report from you or anything...a few years ago i was at work on a sunday from 11am - 1pm...during that time, my '01 impala was broken into (they basically cracked and lifted the entire driver's window out of its place and threw it under the car)...then unlocked the door and helped themselves...they got my alpine cd/mp3 deck, alpine amp, two 12" jl audio subs, sony dvd player, sony 6.5" widescreen visor monitor and sony 7" widescreen flip-down monitor...oh yeah, the whole front interior of the car was trashed...dash was ripped apart, ceiling headliner was torn down, they took my visor with the monitor attached, doors were busted up on the inside, etc....

i did have a cop come out to write down the information, but since i couldn't give him serial numbers to everything, he really couldn't do anything...so i know how you feel and i would love to get my hands on some of these cowardly pieces of shit that break into cars, armed or not...let me defend my car with my 12-gauge then you can try and take as much as you want...the bright side is life goes on and hopefully karma bites them in the ass...
Old 06-27-2008, 06:13 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That sucks buddy. It doesn't surprise me that the cops weren't willing to come out. Even if they lifted prints it's a one in a million chance they'll ever catch the person. I've heard that from cops in every state I've been in.

Garage ftw, I live in a nice area and I always pull my car inside! If you bust into my house you're going to have a lot more to deal with than just an alarm.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dope!
i did the other day..i rolled down a window and locked the car..my friend actually pulled the lock and opened the door and the alarm didnt go off. we tried again and he pushed the unlock button..and stil nothing went off.

well its "anti theft" not an alarm..either way...its bs how an expensive ass car cant have an alarm that goes off when a window is broken.
I think there's a 30 sec. delay or something like that from the time you lock it before the security system arms itself, so it could have been that it wasn't armed yet.

However, I'm very interested as well in finding out whether or not the alarm goes off if you push the unlock button - I'm at the office right now but will try this after work. If it doesn't set it off I agree that it would be pretty ridiculous that the alarm could be bypassed that easily.

If it doesn't set off the alarm, how hard do you guys think it would be to modify it so that it does?
Old 06-27-2008, 06:23 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Some cars you can set the sensitivity of the shock sensor on the alarm, but I don't know if you could do it in the TL. My buddy's wife's 08 335i got broken into as well.. window smashed and a couple of laptops stolen and that alarm didn't go off either. I think the best alarm for modern cars is an aftermarket one. I had a Clifford alarm with a motion sensor on my old car that was siiiick.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
That's why the first thing I did was to add a motion sensor & a glass break sensor to the factory alarm, they are connected in parallel to the hood switch. Now the factory alarm sounds if I slap the car or tap on the window/glass with a key.

I didn't want aftermarket, cause I didn't want to carry TWO remotes.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
The alarm will go off if you unlock the door with the button or unlock it then open the door.
You have to wait for the dely time like 30 secs or something
the alarm will also go off if you arm it and dont disarm it but start the vehicle; it will keep going i believe until you turn off the engine and use the key FOB
The alarm will go off if you open the trunk using the button on the dash without disarming the alarm.
Uhmm I think that might be it. Haha i like to test my cars features...
Old 06-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Team NBP

i tried it. alarm DOES go off BUT after a 30 sec (roughly i didn't time it) delay.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Wow . . . so sorry to hear about your situation. My '05 was broken into as well some time last year. My passenger side window was smashed in, but my tint held it together so that the damage wasn't too bad. There were still broken pieces of glass, but the majority of it was held up by the tint.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:16 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
damn thats crazy man.....
Old 06-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Busting some beats...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mn2trance
Wow . . . so sorry to hear about your situation. My '05 was broken into as well some time last year. My passenger side window was smashed in, but my tint held it together so that the damage wasn't too bad. There were still broken pieces of glass, but the majority of it was held up by the tint.

You have the best of luck don't you?

To the OP, its sad to hear about your car man.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by don5504
Mind me asking where you live and what type of living situation you are in? Condo? Townhome? Apartment? Inner city boondocks?

D
I live in a suburb of Toronto and in a fairly affluent section. I believe it to be teenagers who probably live in the area as well. Can fence an Ipod for probably $50.00. Never really thought someone would go to such an effort and risk for $50.00. I hope he burns in hell!!! lol
Old 06-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Racer

any write up on how you did this mod? or where you got the sensors? think it would help us all if we all do this
Originally Posted by mb190
That's why the first thing I did was to add a motion sensor & a glass break sensor to the factory alarm, they are connected in parallel to the hood switch. Now the factory alarm sounds if I slap the car or tap on the window/glass with a key.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my house broken into by my ex-neighbor. She ended up going to prison for some unrelated items, and for "receiving stolen property" because they found my wheelbarrow she used to carry it to her place.

Lost a little over $14,000 worth of stuff. Cops wouldn't fingerprint because it was not a business, and did not involve a safe.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Blanka

to the OP, This sucks to hear. Thieves are the lowest form of humans! No respect...and your valuables are worth a lot less than your deductible on the street. If your lucky, you can buy your stuff back from the punk! (That actually happened to me years ago, the parts stolen wound up at a aftermarket parts shop I was familiar with)

Originally Posted by dope!

I locked my keys in the trunk, while I had the doors locked...luckily my windows were down so I popped the trunk to get the keys. The alarm did go off. I quickly got my keys & disabled the alarm. I refuse to believe that the alarm wont go off if you arm it and someone unlocks it from the inside...that sounds like total BS!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:57 AM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

man i def feel your pain i had a friend that something almost the same happened to. he was gettin his car totally redone because of an accident, he left his tsx at the shop. the mechanic locked the car and everything. that same night we dropped it off the car was broken into everything was stolen they broke all of his windows everything was gone the tv's, the head unit, his iPod to , body kit, rims, headlights,taillights, and speakers and these guys actually had the time to steal everything.. well not to mention its almost abandoned at night the shop i mean. but ya he was pretty pissed because he had his stock alarm on, and he had his viper on they all went off but i guess since no one was there to hear it it doesnt really matter
Old 06-28-2008, 11:12 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
thats ironic, if my windows are halfway up and i use the switch to unlock my door from the inside my alarm goes off....why would they change it to be ass backwards from 2nd gen to 3rd gen..

sorry to hear it man
Old 06-28-2008, 12:30 PM
NBP REPRESENT

Originally Posted by phee
thats ironic, if my windows are halfway up and i use the switch to unlock my door from the inside my alarm goes off....why would they change it to be ass backwards from 2nd gen to 3rd gen..

sorry to hear it man
sorry man...what did insurance say to you in terms of stolen goods...everything in my car is insured through GEico...i just have to let them know what i put in there...after i ad insurance to any vehicle i make a generic list of things...they will reimburse me if anythign were to get stolen...(ipod, sunglasses) in terms of sporting equipment i always have my golf clubs in, but they wont cover that stuff...

my 2001 CL-s alarm will go off if you unlock from inside without the remote, it will go off if you unlock it with the key instead of remote...

my 2007 TL-s i know for a fact my alarm or horn whatever will go off if it is locked and the window is down and you push the unlock button and open the door, or if you pull the lock up and open the door...
Old 06-28-2008, 12:36 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
In my situation, which happened about 2 years ago, the effing guy broke the driver side window. The target was the EDFC module, which could only be breached by actually opening the door...unless he had go go gadget stretch arms. The alarm went off, and with the horn being so loud, it awoke 3 individual households (apartment dwellings). My roomate had shotgun and was going to fire a slug into the minivan which was the getaway vehicle...but later told me he didn't want his girlfriend at the time to be scarred for life. He woke me up and we both ran out the door. He got a description of the van and of the perpetrator, but no tags.

If your alarm would have gone off, you most certainly would have heard it. I just wish in my case, the roomate would have put his shotgun to use. Even though blowing a hole in the side of a minivan is illegal, the team probably wouldn't call 911 as they are themselves in the middle of committing a crime. The act of blowing a hole in the side of the minivan would most likely deter them from committing further acts of larceny and or grand theft auto.

Four days later, either the same team or a different team stole my 94 Acura Legend.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Burning Brakes

fuck theives my bois gsr integra was stolen right off his block
Old 06-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Here I come!

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts
About a month ago, a man saw two guys breaking in his neighbor's house. He called the police and like usual, they were taking a long time to show up. The man was still on the phone with the police while the 2 guys were inside the house stealing. He told the person on the phone that if they didn't show up quick, he would go over and shoot them. Long story-short, he went over and shot both with a 12gauge and killed them. It's been on the news since and today, they announced that he was let off without any charges. I don't feel any pitty for the guys since 2 of my cars have been stolen. I wish somebody had seen it and acted on it. I would.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Some cars you can set the sensitivity of the shock sensor on the alarm, but I don't know if you could do it in the TL. My buddy's wife's 08 335i got broken into as well.. window smashed and a couple of laptops stolen and that alarm didn't go off either. I think the best alarm for modern cars is an aftermarket one. I had a Clifford alarm with a motion sensor on my old car that was siiiick.
something must be wrong with her alarm or u didnt buy the alarm. We have a 08 335, 2 06 330s and a 04 330 and they ALL have OEM BMW alarm, which INCLUDES some sort of motion detection. They will go off if a window breaks and/or sensing movement inside the car.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems to me the original poster is insane to have over 5,000 worth of personal property in their car. They were very lucky.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Trunk Monkey alarm FTW. Seriously though, sorry for your mishap. My son's aftermarket sound system was stolen from his Mustang in my driveway. On another occasion it was vandelised with break fluid being pour over his hood. Ate the paint to bare metal on the hood, fender and one rim. Why can't people mind their own business and respect other peoples property..........
Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by jdmitr22
something must be wrong with her alarm or u didnt buy the alarm. We have a 08 335, 2 06 330s and a 04 330 and they ALL have OEM BMW alarm, which INCLUDES some sort of motion detection. They will go off if a window breaks and/or sensing movement inside the car.
She had the alarm and it was activated. We were all very surprised that it didn't go off.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mb190

i thought about this mod but here in cali most ricers will set it off with their fart cans if they drive by the car. I wouldnt want to risk my battery so im stuck...