Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 330xi driving impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 06:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 330xi driving impressions

First off..before reading this...please realize that I know everyone has different needs from their car....Im simply offering my opinions of the drive...

Well, I finally got to drive an almost new BMW 330Xi. I was both excited and scared to finally see what one of the the latest and greatest 3 series (non m3 anyway) would be like. The excitement was for obvious reasons, but the fear wasnt so obvious. My biggest fear was that i might like this car so much i would have to get one!!
When i sat in the drivers seat, I immediately knew that this car felt much smaller than my TL....and just like my 98 M3m, I couldnt get the back or thigh support right so i was comfortable. After fiddling with the seat and stereo (which even with HK, is still soooo unimpressively flat sounding). I began my drive around the NE Mesa area. I drove the 330Xi for about 20 miles in many different traffic conditions. From this drive I was able to come to a few conclusions....first is that I love the BMW 5A transmission. Having driven my 05 TL for around 3500 miles now, I am realizing that the Acura 5A is good, but doesnt really up or downshift as quickly as i would like in sporting conditions. Dont get me wrong, its worlds above the 05 altima 3.5SE's transmission I traded for the TL, but doesnt seem as quick or sporting as the 3 series example (I have driven 3 examples: 330, 540, M3). as for the ride and handling....its a give and take situation. The 330 was a little firmer in ride, but seemed to handle a little better as i would expect...but wasnt leaps and bounds better as some people would like to indicate...at least in everyday conditions. Besides the comfort issues i had with the car, the biggest problem I had with the car was the cheap feeling of all the trim and the sounds it made on bumpy roads. I know some noises are to be expected in a sports sedan...but this car was plain ol' creaky....another complaint I had in my 98 M3.
After about the 10th mile in this car, I realized that my fear of wanting one had vanished. I kept thinking to myself: "Thats it?" Sure its a great car for some, but I was again reminded of what a well rounded, great value the TL is....and it wont cost me an arm and a leg when it breaks like my brothers 540i does (BMW's seem to start doing this around 60-70k miles). So when my drive was done, I was very content.....not because I got to beat up a new 330, but for the confirmation that at least for me, the TL was the best car for my 34k.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

Great review, Well Said!
Old 02-24-2005, 10:38 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,230 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Last summer I went to a Lexus driving event at Fed Ex Field in Largo Maryland. Essentially it's a nice event where you get to drive Lexus vehicles and it's competitors on short closed courses in the giant parking lot there. Go to Lexu's web site and you can sometimes register for an upcoming event.

If you ever go to one of these events, one very obvious secret, go early like 8AM for your appointment. I was able to drive without waiting very long the following MB S430/E320/E500/C320, BMW 530/545/745, Acura TL, Lexus LS430/GS300, Infiniti G35.

At the end of driving each car at least twice (only for 1-2 minutes so it's hardly a test drive), I came away with a extremely positive impression of the TL. They had a 330i there but by the time I got to the line it was too long for me (I have driven them before at another Lexus event for the IS300). The driving impressions and interior design of the TL really convinced me.

The S class and 7 series were nice but I was not that impressed with what you got for the money. One car that disappointed me was the G35, although it has a great engine, handled and braked well it's automatic was harsh and erratic shifting and had a instrument cluster that looked like it came out of a mid-80's Nissan.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Certified A-Hole!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hah, and the Beamer drivers think they're all that and a bag of chips...
Old 02-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spheno_3SXZERO
Hah, and the Beamer drivers think they're all that and a bag of chips...
Have you read some of the posts here, we got chips and dip.....
Old 02-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
A decent post and review. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Systems Overlord

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
One car that disappointed me was the G35, although it has a great engine, handled and braked well it's automatic was harsh and erratic shifting and had a instrument cluster that looked like it came out of a mid-80's Nissan.

That's because the automatic in the G35 has to "learn" how you drive and it adjusts the shift points based on that. It takes some driving for it to learn. The cluster wasn't too bad. The biggest isue I had was the seats in the G35. You have to have a narrow ass to drive that car comfortably. I also don't like the way that Nissan/Infinite force you to take packaged options.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Certified A-Hole!

Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet
Have you read some of the posts here, we got chips and dip.....
LOL
Old 02-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Prolanman
That's because the automatic in the G35 has to "learn" how you drive and it adjusts the shift points based on that. It takes some driving for it to learn. The cluster wasn't too bad. The biggest isue I had was the seats in the G35. You have to have a narrow ass to drive that car comfortably. I also don't like the way that Nissan/Infinite force you to take packaged options.

Not to mention the G35 sedan is one of the ugliest cars on the road
Old 02-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL so all the fat assed people out there cannot fit in the G..LOL. So ugly fat assed people ride in the good looking tl and good looking skinning assed people ride in the ugly G.

Makes sense...

Bucket seats are nice it is just that not everyone has the same size bucket..