Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musty smell from AC

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 02:14 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Musty smell from AC

Has anyone experienced and "musty" smell coming from the AC. I can usually smell it the worst when the AC is on recycle mode. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 07-15-2004, 09:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Wish this could help...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86764
Old 07-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spryster
Has anyone experienced and "musty" smell coming from the AC. I can usually smell it the worst when the AC is on recycle mode. Anyone else having this problem?
Do not use the REC mode. Only when in smokey, dusty, stinky conditions should you use the REC mode. If the car needs a quick cool down then you can use it but switch back to the fresh air mode when the car is cool. This is what it will do in the auto mode so you just do it in the manual mode. My last 2 HONDA ACCORD cars had this problem. The 1990 & the 94 when I saw a pamphlet on how to operrate you A/C & climate control system. This was at the HONDA dealer it said the stinky smell was stale air traped in the system by using the REC mode alot or turning the car off with REC mode ON. It said to only use the REC to cool down quickly I would have it on all the time. When I stoped this pratice I had no more stale air smell. With the TL I have never had this problem because I don't use the REC mode unless in the situation I stated. Now let me get back to the thread with Road Rage & the gang this is getting good.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought Search was working again.
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86743
Old 07-15-2004, 10:02 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the input... I will try not using rec mode
Old 07-15-2004, 11:19 PM
Racer

It also helps a lot to turn OFF the A/C a few blocks before you turn off the engine. That way, the system has more of a chance to dry out before shutting it down. It's annoying, and hard to remember, but can be a solution to the problem.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hybrid
It also helps a lot to turn OFF the A/C a few blocks before you turn off the engine. That way, the system has more of a chance to dry out before shutting it down. It's annoying, and hard to remember, but can be a solution to the problem.
I would have to disagree with this Hybrid. I have never had the problem with my 2000TL. I just don't use that REC mode unless I need to & make sure that its not ON REC when I turn the car OFF. Like said with my 1990 I had this problem all the time. I had that car 3yrs. When I got the 1994 this is when I saw the pamphlet from HONDA while sitting in the dealer service area. I picked it up & read it & they said it was stale air trapped in the system. I started not using the REC in the 1994 ACCORD & I did not have that problem any more. I know what you are saying Hybrid about turning the system OFF a block or so before you turn the engine OFF. This is what I did before I read about the stale air. With my 2000TL that is almost 5yrs old I have never had that problem because I do not use REC mode that much. I never turn the A/C OFF in the car except winter time or good fall day. I use my A/C just about 100% of the time from late MARCH untill maybe late OCTOBER. I never have the windows down I just open the sunroof sometime or have it up in tilt. But I leave the A/C ON when I turn the car OFF & have not had any musty,pissy,stale air smell. Its the REC mode that causes the smell when its in that position when you turn the car OFF or leave it in that position alot of times.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, the fact that you have not had problems does not make any sort of argument that the posted info is incorrect, and certainly does not deal with the fact that the poster has the problems. So while it is an anecdote not to be questioned, I do not see how it contributes anything to this thread.

I have studied the issue, and there have been SAE papers written on topic. Even the orientation of the evaporators fins has been examined - the preferred orientation is now vertical rather than horizontal, the reason being obvious - let gravity work to one's advantage.

As posted in this thread and the one I cited, letting yur A/C dry out before shut down helps. And just today, I did in my 1997 Outback beater what I do every month in the summer - I wait for a cool morning, open all the windows, turn the heater control to max, and the fan to high. This helps destroy residual bacteria and mold, while also drying out the areas of the a/c plenum that almost never dry out in the summer without "a little help". It is uncomfortable for 5 minutes, but effective.

The incidence of these sorts of musty smells vary from area to area, state top state, and from year to year: you have been lucky, may it always be so, but the plethora of products and services in the aftermarket to deal with the problem exist because for many people, it is a persistent and troublesome issue.

It is an issue related to mold, pollen, bacteria. and dust mites in home ducting and carpeting; and we have all learned of late of the devastating effects of black mold. That was the biggest worry my family and I had when our home was damaged severely from Hurricane Isabel - I employed in-wall micro-camera technology to thouroughly examine the interior walls, finding no damage that a little of my vinegar and water concoction (1:10), a sprayer, and a large fan could not address, much to our relief.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced my cabin air filter w/ a non oem model. This model did not have charcoal so now i get that damn musty smell. For your problem i would replace your cabin air filter w/ charcoal. Hope that helps.....
Old 08-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Pro

LOL. umm I dont think hes gonna get your advice. All these crazy thread revivals after the new update.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:23 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4 year old thread wow
Old 08-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hybrid
This is exactly what I do and it does work, but like you said hard to remember. My last car was a Volvo S80 2.9 (underpowered), it had a feature that would keep the a/c fan running for about 15 mins after you shut the car off. A very good feature too.

Dave
Old 08-29-2008, 08:52 AM
dek
10th Gear

i agree with road rage and turn off the ac and let the blower dry out the vents before you shut down. have done this on my previous cars and have not had a problem. then again i believe einszitt sells a product that you can connect to the hvac system that will get rid of the musty/moldy smell.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Unshunned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dek
i believe einszitt sells a product that you can connect to the hvac system that will get rid of the musty/moldy smell.
http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...freshener.html

I've used it recently and it eliminated 99% of the odors. I can still notice it just a bit now and it's only been a few months since treated. It works well, though you have to use it at least once a year. FWIW I rarely turn off the AC and let it blow dry before shutting off the car - just too lazy..
Old 08-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Isnt the musty smell simply an indication you need to replace your two cabin air filters..????
Old 08-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thevikas87
Isnt the musty smell simply an indication you need to replace your two cabin air filters..????
Not really...the OEM cabin filters are particulate filters and have no charcoal to help with odor. However, there are aftermarket filters with charcoal available that will help with the odor.

Bacteria and mold on the AC's evaporator is the cause of the smell. Cleaning with a foaming agent like the one mentioned below or a product from BG will help kill the mold and freshen up the AC. As others have stated already, turning your AC to fresh and letting the fan run before shutting off the car also helps
Old 08-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Intermediate

All cars do this. AC systems were downsized a few years ago to save weight and space, and the changeover to R134A probably contributed to this.

Do what others have said - don't run the AC unless you need to, turn it off and keep the fan running 1 minute before your destination, occasionally put a product into the system to minimize the smell. Wurth makes a spray, apparently Einszett makes one, hell you can probably even use Lysol, just have the system running and spray the stuff into the vents at the base of the windshield where outside air is sucked in. And when you're in the shop, have them make sure the drain hose is clear.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Acuras Only in

I do turn the AC off & blow high fan a few blocks from my place .... so far so good ...

Now the main reason I want to turn AC on with REC is that it's too damn hot (like the last couple of days) & this is the fastest way to cool the inside .....
Old 08-29-2008, 11:50 PM
#TeamBoosted

Received 66 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine was smelly before too, so I checked everything, checked the evaporator hose drainage and it WASN'T clogged, replace cabin air filter and even engine filter but the smell was still there. I took to the dealer and they found out that the evaporator hose was pushed back more inside the car so some of the a/c water goes outside the car while some drips down inside the carpet of the car, causing the smell. They say its a common thing with most acuras and even toyotas have it. Driving too hard, vibrations on the ground, or even passengers kicking the side dash make push the evap hose back. Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXinity
I took to the dealer and they found out that the evaporator hose was pushed back more inside the car so some of the a/c water goes outside the car while some drips down inside the carpet of the car.
I see an ugly connection here.

Car won't start: AC Froze up and now the PCM is full of water (click here)

Originally Posted by FIXED !!!
I took to the dealer and they found out that the evaporator hose was pushed back more inside the car so some of the a/c water goes outside the car while some drips down INTO THE PCM/ECU.