3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTF Synthetic Manual Trans Fluid - 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, after 2800 miles, the only miles on the car; I had the Amsoil MTF 5w-30 put in this morning. I have been experiencing what I thought was difficult shifting, not as smooth as I thought the demo that I drove felt. 3rd gear would occassionaly grind, but more often, especially in the morning, would feel like you got into gear, then pop out. This was frequent. I could not excellerate and shift rapidly, it was hard to get into gears.

Today, that all went away. Smooth as silk; as it should be. Very pleased so far. Unfortuanately, I was rear-ended Thursday morning and the car is going into the body shop for a few weeks. While it's in the shop I am moving out of state to Dallas. I will report back after I get the car back and put a few hundred miles on her driving down there.

Oh, the dealer did not pay for the service, but did say 1 other 6MT owner had changed out their fluid, but could not recall what he put in.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This makes me wonder if simply changing the fluid to get rid of syncro gear particulates with honda MTF will help the grind/notchy shift issues? Somtimes in hondas you can run 10w30 motor oil in the gearbox as a "temporary fill" which works ok but often a few thousand miles down the road they tend to feel notchy, but a change back to honda MTF will make it feel like new again...
Old 09-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by clsdave
If your not having shifting problems you might want to wait on the trans oil change. Not all 6MT's have problems and the ones that do are not terrible problems but more of the annoying type.

You may be one of the lucky ones! The change won't hurt though.
The more I think about what you said and the fact that I'm not having any problems, I've decided to wait a little before changing the MTF. I have 8000+ miles and may be one of the lucky ones. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:39 PM
2005TL(6MT)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by royco
The more I think about what you said and the fact that I'm not having any problems, I've decided to wait a little before changing the MTF. I have 8000+ miles and may be one of the lucky ones. Thanks for the advice.

I often had the third gear shift problem when cold very early. At about 2,000 miles I changed to the GMSFM fluid. I'm at about 8,000 now and still shifting great. But only did it because of the need and wish it was Acura fluid to minimize the risk of a warranty problem.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:56 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by clsdave
I often had the third gear shift problem when cold very early. At about 2,000 miles I changed to the GMSFM fluid. I'm at about 8,000 now and still shifting great. But only did it because of the need and wish it was Acura fluid to minimize the risk of a warranty problem.
I now have 10,000 miles on the GMSFM fluid.
Shifts just like the day after I changed it!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Advanced

Ok, received my shifter cable bushings from today and decided that if I was going to put in the bushings, I might as well change the trans fluid seeing as I got the Amsoil just sitting here.

1st off, all of the postings and the instructions that came with the bushings were phenomenal (Thanks Tai, et all). The stock bushings were out and the new ones in, in a proverbial flash. The postings on the trans oil change were superb as well, thanks guys.

So then I drained the trans fluid and it came out flowing like new (thought that I made a mistake in changing out the oil) but when I swirled it in the drain pan, I saw the "gold" flecks that I read about. After dumping out the oil from the drain pan, I saw some metal particles left back and thought that this can't be good. Put the 2 1/2 quarts Amsoil in, took it for a drive and swear that the clutch feels better!! Everything felt good. The shifts were smoother, not a whole lot but noticeable non the less and the shifting itself felt more precise, as it should.

All in all, a well spent hour to 1 1/2. I appreciate all the advise and "how to" postings that made the job so much easier. You guys are the best!
Old 09-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Ok, received my shifter cable bushings from today and decided that if I was going to put in the bushings, I might as well change the trans fluid seeing as I got the Amsoil just sitting here.

1st off, all of the postings and the instructions that came with the bushings were phenomenal (Thanks Tai, et all). The stock bushings were out and the new ones in, in a proverbial flash. The postings on the trans oil change were superb as well, thanks guys.

So then I drained the trans fluid and it came out flowing like new (thought that I made a mistake in changing out the oil) but when I swirled it in the drain pan, I saw the "gold" flecks that I read about. After dumping out the oil from the drain pan, I saw some metal particles left back and thought that this can't be good. Put the 2 1/2 quarts Amsoil in, took it for a drive and swear that the clutch feels better!! Everything felt good. The shifts were smoother, not a whole lot but noticeable non the less and the shifting itself felt more precise, as it should.

All in all, a well spent hour to 1 1/2. I appreciate all the advise and "how to" postings that made the job so much easier. You guys are the best!
Felt like you were panning for gold and hit pay dirt, eh?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Racer

Dealer replaced my MTF fluid with the new Honda MTF fluid that was mentioned in the Acura August Service news bulletin. I was having some issues of 3rd gear not engaging fully when quick shifting. The dealer could not duplicate the problem(go figure) so after 3 days I went in first thing in the morning and took a mechanic on a test drive. My poor shift into 3rd only happened once but they saw it. Got back and ironically the service manager had just pulled someting off Acura tech line indicating if an 05 or 06 MT TL owners complain of 3rd gear problems to call. The solution was to change the fluid. I told them this 3 days ago but I was in their loaner racking up their miles so I was not too put off. They changed the fluid under warranty and all was good today on my first day of driving with the new fluid. Make sure they put the new and improved stuff in. White cap red bottle I think it is.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Felt like you were panning for gold and hit pay dirt, eh?
Yep! I read about it in the forum but you have to see it to believe it. Funky!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:09 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Yep! I read about it in the forum but you have to see it to believe it. Funky!
I have.. last year when I drained and filled with the GMSFM fluid. Those tiny gold-colored metal filings are from your synchronizers.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unreal. I have an 08 Type S with this problem. I can't beleive they havent figured this out yet.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
This has been debated a zillion times.

Why do we continue to do this over and over again? It works and it's your choice to use it or not.

Damn........
Old 10-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Registered VTEC junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've always been the kind to find better products to use in my car. After reading about GM Synchromesh and shifting with 6speed on this site, I decided to try it. To me, shifting with the GM Synchro was better than stock but after awhile the 3rd gear blues came back. I found myself replacing the GM stuff with Amsoil. Ever since then, it's been the best shifting so far. As one who used both, Amsoil is the answer! I also used their motor oil and it's great. Over the years, I've foolishly spent a lot of money using many brands of oil-usually based on hype and marketing. I'm not going to knock on any brands because most of them have good reputations .But right now, I'll stick with Amsoil.(until there's a brand that can out-perform them in the real world of daily driving).
Old 10-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ImaTLguy
I am a new 2005 TL 6MT owner (as of about 72 hrs. ago), and am experiencing the same issues regarding shifting
(especially into 3rd gear) that I have read about.

Many of you have used the GM # 12377916, and have "worried" about warranty issues - but raved about the
GM fluid performance. I've got a better solution.

This is what you need.....

AMSOIL 100% Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid is a direct replacement for both Honda Genuine MTF Fluid
and GM #12377916 (plus several others). The good news is its only $7/quart, and your can order as few
or as many as you need.

I'm a 20 year customer of Amsoil products, and am always amazed at their performance.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx

Dave

What are the symtoms of the shifting problems?