Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More V1 Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 12:37 AM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
More V1 Pics

Okay, a couple of follow up pictures to my V1 hardwire install.

First picture is of the V1 installed and mounted to the bracket, as seen from the pasenger seat. (Well, from that side anyway.)
I wanted to show what the bracket looked like mounted, and how it mounted to the windshied.

Second picture is of the wiring running down the A pillar.
There had been some questions that this was difficult to do; especially as there are air bags in there. Well this picture shows how easy it is to do - I have two seperate cables installed, both of which are cable-tied to the existing cable bundle.

-=Nick=-
Old 01-26-2004, 01:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again, very nice work. When are you going to be visiting South Beach so you can do mine for me?
Old 01-26-2004, 01:27 AM
What's a TL?

Very clean...I'm impressed....sure glad this guy lives only a few miles from me...at least I know who to call on in times of TL need!!

The Simi cops now have one less ticket to write...more time to find me on the 118...no good!
Old 01-26-2004, 01:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up Re: More V1 Pics...

Nick,

Thanks. Those pics are great, especially the A-pillar one...

Your two links are my bible now...

V1 Hardwire Install by nickpoore

BTW, A-pillar has the side curtain with it, should we do anything extremely careful when removing/installing the cover for A-pillar?

Old 01-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Instructor

I know this is a stupid question but how did you attach the bracket to the windshield?
Old 01-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Banned

rets.
Thanks for your comments.
The A-Pillar removal is really easy (see my post on TRIM INSTRUCTIONS )
Yes, they warn you about airbag (SRS) stuff in the manual, but the "explosive" is contained in the metal bracket that you see.

The easy way to understand the airbag stuff is to pull off the door interior seal. That's the black ring of rubber around the doorway (the part attached to the body, not the door.)
This rubber seal pulls off (and pushes back on) easily, so don't worry about damaging it.
Anyway, when you do this, you will see that the trim around the door actually has a huge gap around the door to allow the airbags to deploy - so that they deploy through the gap and don't have to rip their way through trim and stuff.

Once you do this, you will realize where the airbag stuff is, and that it is fairly easy to avoid touching ANY of the airbag stuff when removing these panels.

Sure the manual makes plenty of references to using caution around SRS components, but that was mainly for legal reasons. I just use common sense around such things.

Woodstock.
If you read my original message here:
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=68622
You will find that I used a LoBoy cellphone mount from Pro-Fit International.
This uses 3M double sided tape to attatch the circular rubber dish to the windshield.
I hope that this answers your question.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Cruisin'

Nick,

When you have time could you describe more fully how you integrated the V1 remote volume control into the blank switchplate next to the side view mirror controls? I'd be interested in trying to replicate this. I believe in a previous post you indicated you actually had to disassemble the remote volume control from its plastic case to complete your install. If you have any pictures of how you did this, I'd love to see them! I have a copy of the excellent service manual now, and need to get to rippin' out some trim to try and duplicate your V1 install. Did you order the trim removal tools that are referenced in the manual? Seems like they'd be worth having if not too expensive. Great job!

Tom
Old 01-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Banned

Hey Tom.

Yeah, the V1 remote project was a b!tch, and I keep meaning to re-do it; but I may not.
I thought it would be a good thing to have the remote volume and power switch in the lower dash, but I messed up the install slightly and the speaker didn't work. I then find myself just reaching up and pressing the mute button on the V1 instead of the lower control anyway.
Anyway, if you PM me I'll send you some un-edited pictures. Just send me your email address that can handle a 10Mb attachment.

As to the trim tools - I keep meaning to order them but have not gotten around to it yet. So far I've been using screwdrivers. Oops. Oh well, I have only broken one clip to date, so I'm not too concerned about it.

-=Nick=-
Old 01-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Nice work, but isn't it a little unnecessary to remove the molding on the A-pillar? With the last two cars I've owned, I've simply tucked the radar wire down along the crease, using a blunt object to push it under the rubber molding. With the telephone wire being used on my passport 8500 (and your V1), the wire is flat enough to squeeze in there. just my 0.02.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Banned

Yeah, I started with the push-down approach.
The problem with this is that I ended up putting the wire across the airbag, and it would have gotten in the way of an airbag deployment. (I pushed the wire into the gap on the door side, not the windshield side.)
I then found that removing the A-Pillar was really easy, and in my opinion the best way to do the job.
The nice thing about removing it is that there is already a wiring harness running down here so that tying another cable to it is really easy.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Racer

Quite impressive, I must say! You've done an excellent installation job.

The only way to top what you've done would be to integrate the Valentine One's display and controls into the navigation system. Imagine seeing the "bogey" location(s) highlighted on your nav system's map display, while the computer voice says "Warning: Bogey at ten o'clock!"
Old 02-25-2004, 12:31 PM

It is possible... They do it for the BMW.. Check it out...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...threadid=71645
Old 02-25-2004, 01:41 PM
Instructor

That stealth one thing is so close to being awesome. Graphics would be great. I think that is a neat toy for $199. Come on, make one for the TL!