Sponsored by:

moonroof deflector?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moonroof deflector?

Yea or nah?

I have one on now, but am thinking of taking it off. Any thoughts on this one way or the other?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Back in a TL again.

are you talking about this

if so it does work well i had mine on the 03 tl looks tacky but when you have your moon roof at tilt it works well in stopping the whistle at least for me, i took it off just because i don't like it but now i have to live with the whistle that i get.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
The external plastic moonroof visor stops the wind noise that comes roaring in at freeway speed.
Without it- forget passenger or phone conversations with roof open
Old 04-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Instructor

yes that's the one. it does stop the whistling at high speeds and keeps things quiet inside.

i was just getting sick of the look, but its function out weighs the form i guess...
Old 04-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm debating putting one on my TL - I had one on my 03 Accord and it really helps keep the sun out of your eyes driving as well.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:35 AM
19UUA75577A

I took the thing off of my 07 simply because I bought a 95 legend that had one a few years ago, and it had been on it since the car was new, the paint underneath it was destroyed.

If you're going to use one, I'd recommend removing it monthly and cleaning under it. Also, wax the paint, and use something like Meguiar's Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner/Protector to keep the rubber soft.

If I put mine back on, it'll only be for the warmer months, then it'll come off for the winter.

Has anyone else noticed that the black wind guard that pops up when the sunroof is open actually makes more noise up than down? Try holding it down while you're on the expressway, it's a lot quieter..
Old 04-24-2007, 07:49 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Modulus
I took the thing off of my 07 simply because I bought a 95 legend that had one a few years ago, and it had been on it since the car was new, the paint underneath it was destroyed.

If you're going to use one, I'd recommend removing it monthly and cleaning under it. Also, wax the paint, and use something like Meguiar's Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner/Protector to keep the rubber soft.
I guess it may be ok for you, but...Why?

No one is going to see this, including you unless you take this off. On a black car that I have to constantly clean for obvious reasons, no way can I see the importance of adding a monthly detail like this! Especially after watching the service guys fight to get that damn thing on when I first got my car in November! I don't relish the task of taking that on just to be anal. Plus, I don't have the time. I am sure that what you said is true about the paint after years of it being present, but even when I sell it, I don't see them taking it off, and looking under that thing saying, "Houston we have a problem!" ...Just my

Oh, I almost forgot...I love mine! I use the BT (HFL or Jabra JX10) exclusively in the car and it would be hell without one with the top open!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:53 AM
2006 TL

Every post I've seen about a sunroof having a wind deflector installed has had complaints about whistling. A fair share of members have taken it off after installing it.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:20 AM
07 TL-Navi 5AT, NBP

I've been debating it, not for noise but for glare. On my '85 626 it helped 100% stopping the sun glare. On my '94 626 I ordered it at the same time I ordered the car. It was a lot 'shorter' than the '85 and did absolutely nothing for stopping the glare (could be sunroof and/or driver position). Additionally it ADDED that air pressure throbbing at low speeds with windows up, resolved only by cracking one of the rear windows.

My TL, sure I get glare, but don't want to disturb the clean roof lines, I just wear a baseball cap now (which happens to say Acura on it).
Old 04-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want to install the deflector and not worry about it scratching the paint, apply some of the clear bra material (3M Polyurethane) between the sunroof and the windshield and then the deflector.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Cruisin'

How does it attach to the car? I'm interested in one to cut down the wind noise.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

From what I understand there is a rubber seal around the part that sits on the roof - to protect the car.........the deflector itself is held on by two clips that screw into the deflector and attach inside the roof opening
Old 04-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippySLC
How does it attach to the car? I'm interested in one to cut down the wind noise.
The deflector is held down by 2 clips that clipped onto the edge of the moon roof.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by psheu
The deflector is held down by 2 clips that clipped onto the edge of the moon roof.

psheu,

First off, your car looks great!! Nice job.

Does your reflector completely stop wind (air and noise) from entering the car? My back seat passangers hate when I open the roof - of course I could put them on the bus...
Old 04-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

I love those wheels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Instructor

woooord. i love those rims!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:35 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by JoeyASPEC
Every post I've seen about a sunroof having a wind deflector installed has had complaints about whistling. A fair share of members have taken it off after installing it.
My deflector causes no problems! Least of all whistling...I love it! Did I say that already? Oh well...
Old 04-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by warccm
psheu,

First off, your car looks great!! Nice job.

Does your reflector completely stop wind (air and noise) from entering the car? My back seat passangers hate when I open the roof - of course I could put them on the bus...
thanx on the warm comment..... and LOL on your passenger The wind doesn't enter the car at all ... but when I go 80+ on freeway the wind noise is UN-avoidable
Old 04-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ended up taking mine off my '05 because it had an irritating whistle, even when closed up. It is genuine Acura issue. It also has 4 clips, not 2. It didn't take long for the rubber seal to dig into the paint either. Once removed, you can't get rid of the grooves.

'05 6MT NBP
A-Spec suspension
K&N Typhoon intake
Michelin Pilot A/S 245/40/17
Debadged rear
V1 on the lookout
Old 04-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
I ended up taking mine off my '05 because it had an irritating whistle, even when closed up. It is genuine Acura issue. It also has 4 clips, not 2. It didn't take long for the rubber seal to dig into the paint either. Once removed, you can't get rid of the grooves.

'05 6MT NBP
A-Spec suspension
K&N Typhoon intake
Debadged rear
V1 on the lookout
4 clips .... there are only 2 pre-drilled holes for the deflector ... all of the Honda lineup used similar kind of deflectors ... well, I only have 2 clips and have no problems at all ... The deflector was part of the package that got negotiated into the final out the door price of the brand new car ...

'05 5MT ASM w/Navi Mod
A-Spec wheel, body kit, steering wheel
K&N air filter
Acura OEM Brembo Brake
Old 04-27-2007, 06:06 PM
2006 TL

'05 6MT NBP
A-Spec suspension
K&N Typhoon intake
Debadged rear
V1 on the lookout
I rest my case.

haha j.k - but this is all i hear about it. I like the look of it, but I'm not going to do it.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
i have the moonroof deflector on my 05 SSM TL and it poses no problesm to me. I still hear a little whistling sound, but not that noticable, i must say though, it really helps when the moonroof is open and your driving on the highway, which was the reason y i got it. I think it looks good too but everyone has thier own opinion lol.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:03 AM
19UUA75577A

It didn't take long for the rubber seal to dig into the paint either. Once removed, you can't get rid of the grooves.

Try the 3-step 3M products, just use it on the roof/affected area..
I think it's a cleaner, then an abrasive material (you'll see your paint color on the rag, that's scary), then a glaze to fill in the missing pieces. It's been a while, so I kind of forget.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:09 AM
__B-Series-ous__

Man, i like the look with the deflector, just me i guess.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Instructor

update

Just to give everyone an update. i decided to remove the deflector for the summer at least. someone's post about the paint getting damage underneath it scared me. and guess what i find underneath when i remove the deflector? 2 lines from the rubber lining on the deflector almost scratching the paint...i'm going to zaino it this weekend, hopefully it comes out.

i will miss the quiet the thing brought at high speeds with the roof open. maybe i'll put it back on next summer.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:14 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by ebs312
Just to give everyone an update. i decided to remove the deflector for the summer at least. someone's post about the paint getting damage underneath it scared me. and guess what i find underneath when i remove the deflector? 2 lines from the rubber lining on the deflector almost scratching the paint...i'm going to zaino it this weekend, hopefully it comes out.

i will miss the quiet the thing brought at high speeds with the roof open. maybe i'll put it back on next summer.
See what I just did NOOBS?? I SEARCHED!! I was thinking of taking my sunroof off and wanted to know if other people with it off had problems with wind noise. So instead of STARTING A NEW THREAD JUST TO CURE MY CURIOUSITY...I did a search. You know who you are...

Yes, I know this thread is old, but I am thinking about taking mine off now. I don't know why this guy took his off in the summer, when you traditionally have the roof OPEN, instead of the winter when you traditionally have it CLOSED???

At any rate, can you guys weigh in on why I should or should not take it off as far as functionality and aesthetics are concerned. I am really up in the air about this. I love to use the HFL, so if it would be a prob talking then I probably won't do it. But still...I'm beginning to think it looks better without. Just don't know if wind noise would be major with it off. Anybody???

H-E-L-PPPPP!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
This is MY OPINION and I am not trying to PISS anybody off.

I HATE sunroof, side window deflectors, body side molding, pin strips, chrome door trim, etc.

FRIKEN UGLY. YUKKKK IMO IMO Do what YOU LIKE its YOURS....
Old 07-07-2007, 11:16 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
This is MY OPINION and I am not trying to PISS anybody off.

I HATE sunroof, side window deflectors, body side molding, pin strips, chrome door trim, etc.

FRIKEN UGLY. YUKKKK IMO IMO Do what YOU LIKE its YOURS....
LOL...chill...I ain't sensitive like that bro...hahahahahaha!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by darksom1
At any rate, can you guys weigh in on why I should or should not take it off as far as functionality and aesthetics are concerned. I am really up in the air about this. I love to use the HFL, so if it would be a prob talking then I probably won't do it. But still...I'm beginning to think it looks better without. Just don't know if wind noise would be major with it off. Anybody???
Well, I don't have one, and the noise isn't major. I can't use the HFL with the roof open, though.

If you do decide to take yours off and are happy with it off, I may be interested in buying it from you.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Take it off, leave it off.

First item I spot when a vehicle is coming towards me is the large glob on top of the roof. Take a look at the cars with the deflectors and note how many high priced luxury cars or sports cars have them.............Very, very few indeed.

As usual, just my
Old 07-08-2007, 09:35 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I was having a great debate with myself over whether or not to remove the moonroof wind deflector. I'm going to keep it on for now. I was weighing the pros and cons, and the pros far outweigh the cons:

Pros:
1)I paid for it (lol)
2)Cuts down on overall wind noise
3)I can talk on the HFL with roof open (at least in the city, where I drive the most, haven't tested hwy yet)
4)Doesn't look hideous
5)If I remove it, there may be stuff to fix appearance wise from what others have said as far as paint loss or damage from rubber seal (see below)
6) No one ever said anything about it on here or real world before I mentioned it. So it can't be that bad!

Cons:
1)Aesthetics (disruption, tho not extreme, of roof line)
2)Apparently, as told by others here in 3G, the rubber seal eventually messes up the paint on the roof in that spot. That if you take it off after a couple years, there is some minimal damage there. In some cases biting into the roof. So, concern was there for them on resale value. I think that is not an area of concern if you don't take it off because how will you see it? The seal would be covering it. It's not like someone is going to say "Hey! Take that off so I can inspect the roof!" Plus, it's not a hardcore mod like a CAI. So I don't see the problem there with the seal damage thing.

No one has ever come up to me and said nice car, but it would probably look better without that damn deflector up there. Please remove that hideous monstrosity cuz I'm about to puke!! Yeah, nobody has ever said that. If someone were to say that, THEN, I may remove it! LOL!

So Stella keeps her accessory for now...
Old 07-08-2007, 11:05 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
personally, I dont like them. Disrupts the clean lines of the car. I'm iffy on the window visors. Again I generally dont like things attached to the car, but they do give it a wider look.

Dark, I would at least take it off to check out the condition underneath, fix it up if necessary or at least begin some preventive maintenance, then you can put it on again.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I agree with Lee. I never liked them. they completely screw up the lines of the car...
Old 07-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Why have a moonroof if your covering 30% of it. NO WAY IMO.

Plus it looks like a BLIMP on the top of the car
Old 07-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

No one has ever come up to me and said nice car, but it would probably look better without that damn deflector up there. Please remove that hideous monstrosity cuz I'm about to puke!! Yeah, nobody has ever said that. If someone were to say that, THEN, I may remove it! LOL!

So Stella keeps her accessory for now...
Just remember that most people are very courteous in that if they see something they didn’t care for on another vehicle, most would never say anything derogatory to the owner. I see many changes that people do to vehicles that I don't care for, but don't go around making statements to that effect, unless they ask.

In your defense, I do believe the deterioration of the paint under the deflector would benefit you keeping it in place.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:55 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by leedogg
personally, I dont like them. Disrupts the clean lines of the car. I'm iffy on the window visors. Again I generally dont like things attached to the car, but they do give it a wider look.

Dark, I would at least take it off to check out the condition underneath, fix it up if necessary or at least begin some preventive maintenance, then you can put it on again.
Yeah, I may do just that...preventative maintenance. When I go for the clearbra, I will see if I can get the top underneath the rubber seal done. That should do it.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:05 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Why have a moonroof if your covering 30% of it.
No way you look at that and see 30% covered. That's a serious stretch dude. It's not really noticeable at all when you are driving.

In your defense, I do believe the deterioration of the paint under the deflector would benefit you keeping it in place.
You guys think it has deteriorated even though I just got this car last November past? I find that hard to believe. Why would Acura do that if it wore down so fast like that? Even so, I am never going to take it off if I keep it on now, so what diff does it make in that regard? Just asking...
Old 07-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

You guys think it has deteriorated even though I just got this car last November past? I find that hard to believe. Why would Acura do that if it wore down so fast like that? Even so, I am never going to take it off if I keep it on now, so what diff does it make in that regard? Just asking...
This was just a generalized statement as to the fact that others have noticed deterioration under the deflector. I have no personal experience as I have never had a deflector on a vehicle.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Instructor

woah....old post re-visited. I was the OP on this and I originally took it off for a different look. Plus it was hard to clean underneath that damn thing. I may put it back on next summer, leaving it off for the winter so no snow gets under there, etc....

Once I took it off, there were some grooves from the rubber seal. At first, I washed it and did the whole Zaino thing. Did nothing. HOwever, after a couple of subsequent washes, it looks pretty close to new. I originally had mine on for about 1 year.

Anyway, after a couple of months without it on, the wind noise isn't so bad. I barely notice it, except when using the bluetooth. Bit noisey then.

I like the car without it on, but it does serve a function.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Racer

My deflector causes no problems! Least of all whistling...I love it! Did I say that already? Oh well...
i have one too and i love it, i always drive with the sunroof open and it works very well, the only complaint i have is that if its closed it whistles, but since its always open it doesnt matter

Quick Reply: moonroof deflector?