Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mom Wants TSX, Me and Dad Want TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 01:19 AM
TL Techy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mom Wants TSX, Me and Dad Want TL

Hey guys, parents went to the dealer today. Im 18, had to check up on college apps so I could not go. Well, this past week our Toyota Camry for about 11 years is dying on us recently and we are in the market for a new car. Being the TL fan, going around these forums (and recently joining) im tryin to come up with reasons for my mom to change her mind about her wanting the TSX.

She went the dealer, and from what i heard, it was around a 6,000 dollar difference between the 2 cars. TSX: Auto, Navigation / TL: Auto, Navi, Anthracite, Ebony.

What are some of the comparisons and reasons me and my dad can give her to get the TL instead of the TSX, i need some real hard feature comparisons and performance info to get her to change her mind and off the 6,000 dollar difference.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 06-01-2004, 02:07 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Remind your dad that he's the man of the house and put his foot down. Joking. How bout telling her that the TL will help her get to where she needs to go on time when she's runing later cus the TL is faster.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:19 AM
Racer

tell your mom that TSX is great for her... if she loose 30 pound and it will fit her perfectly...

that is how I got my tl.. i told my mom that I weight 200lb and 5" 11 and tsx too small for me..
Old 06-01-2004, 03:28 AM
Racer

TSX is a poor excuse for a car
Old 06-01-2004, 04:16 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From my personal experience.

As far as your mom cares, she won't see anything worth $6k that would change her mind. Sorry buddy....

Good luck.

PS: she might not see the material things worth it, but she might see that making you and daddy happy is worth $6k see were I'm getting at.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:18 AM
Instructor

TL is significantly faster close to 2 sec 0-60
TL has a SMALLER trunk
TL has more cabin space 98cuft to 91 cuft
TSX better milage 19/29 to 23/32
TL has better brakes, marginally so for the auto trans TL
TSX handles better and is more "tossable"
TSX has less quality control issues (maybe due to Japanese build TL is US built)
TSX is 6k cheaper
TSX is cheaper to maintain, insurance and repair is about the same
TSX holds value slightly better
TL has power passenger seat and seat memory
TL has rear air vents
TL has better sound system including DVD-A BUT TSX will play louder
TL has a cassette deck
TL has bluetooth and XM sat radio
TL has auto open/close moonroof
TL has multi-info display
TL has trip computer
TL has ext temp display
TL has heated/memory/tilt down outside mirrors
TSX has turn indicators on outside mirrors
TL has speed sensitive wipers
TL has Bi-zenon headlights TSX only Low beams

More subjective issues:

TL has a better ride (auto tranny version)
TL is quieter
I actually find the TSX more comfortable in the back seat for 1 or 2 people, with three the width kills the TSX

Also to be honest if you plan to keep the car a long time (like the Camry) I do have concerns about the auto tranny in the TL. Honda doesn't make the best autos and most of the other V6 Hondas are having problems with the auto, whether it will show up in the TL only time will tell. I normally don't believe in extended warranties BUT I would get one on the TL or any other V6 Honda product with an auto if I planned to keep it beyond the warranty, I would not bother with the TSX.

Both cars are a solid value and have good features for the money, but the TL is worth 6k more but that is probably about right, neither is a better value at the price. In the end the person that will drive it most should really choose, particularly since both cars are excellent for the money. If you don't need the extra room then the TSX is a fine choice. But don't get too hung up on size since the TL has only marginally more head and leg room in the front and the TSX has more head room in the back. Width is where the TL has any real advantage.

Vandy
Old 06-01-2004, 07:24 AM
Instructor

TL - Made in USA
TSX - Made in Japan
Old 06-01-2004, 08:59 AM
TL Techy

Thanks for the information guys, ill pass it along to my parents and also dont forget the maintinance minder system on the TL ::crosses fingers::
Old 06-01-2004, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaT1PiNoYduDe
Thanks for the information guys, ill pass it along to my parents and also dont forget the maintinance minder system on the TL ::crosses fingers::

The TSX has a maintenance interval reminder, though it is less sophisticated. In the end the MM isn't that big a deal compared to most of the other goodies.

Vandy
Old 06-01-2004, 09:08 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bitium
From my personal experience.

As far as your mom cares, she won't see anything worth $6k that would change her mind. Sorry buddy....

Good luck.

PS: she might not see the material things worth it, but she might see that making you and daddy happy is worth $6k see were I'm getting at.
yeah i agree your mom would probably not find anything worth the 6K between the TL and the TSX. i think the tsx is a great car and would be a nice alternative to the TL.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Perhaps an improvement in grammar and spelling might make an impression on her as well.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Advanced

If she drove a camry, the TSX rear seats should feel a bit more 'cramped'. Honestly I think the TSX apeals to more females just because of the rear of the car. Also if you had a 6 in the Camry, you might miss the low end that the TL would offer that the TSX can't.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:22 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by savageTL
TL has a better ride (auto tranny version)
Please explain.........
Old 06-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMZ
Please explain.........

The MT TL has a stiffer suspension and not nearly as compliant as the Auto version. The Auto TL has a smoother ride than the TSX, the TSX is about the same as the MT TL or slightly more compliant. In this thread all that really matters is the Auto TL is more compliant than the TSX but I included the MT since others may find it useful.

Vandy
Old 06-01-2004, 10:03 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

The MT TL has a stiffer suspension and not nearly as compliant as the Auto version. The Auto TL has a smoother ride than the TSX, the TSX is about the same as the MT TL or slightly more compliant. In this thread all that really matters is the Auto TL is more compliant than the TSX but I included the MT since others may find it useful.

Vandy
Stiffer? How? As far as I know, the only suspension difference is that the MT has thicker stabilizer bars.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

Just remember: "if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy".
Old 06-01-2004, 10:23 AM
Racer

Tell your mother that the TL is a much classier, elegant car.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Stiffer? How? As far as I know, the only suspension difference is that the MT has thicker stabilizer bars.
Front springs are different too - at least the P/N's are.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:52 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by Aegir
Front springs are different too - at least the P/N's are.
But does that doesn't automatically mean their tension is at a different rate?
Or is there some other reason they're different? I'd be curious to know.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by DMZ
But does that doesn't automatically mean their tension is at a different rate?
Or is there some other reason they're different? I'd be curious to know.
Yep, probably just a bit softer to account for the weight difference.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Based on what? Both cars are 2004 models (1 all new, 1 redesigned). Resale value is not known yet. The TL is only 6 months old and the TSX is 12 months old. Where do you get your information?
Old 06-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Powered by Guinness

Hey guys, parents went to the dealer today. Im 18, had to check up on college apps so I could not go. Well, this past week our Toyota Camry for about 11 years is dying on us recently and we are in the market for a new car. Being the TL fan, going around these forums (and recently joining) im tryin to come up with reasons for my mom to change her mind about her wanting the TSX.

She went the dealer, and from what i heard, it was around a 6,000 dollar difference between the 2 cars. TSX: Auto, Navigation / TL: Auto, Navi, Anthracite, Ebony.

What are some of the comparisons and reasons me and my dad can give her to get the TL instead of the TSX, i need some real hard feature comparisons and performance info to get her to change her mind and off the 6,000 dollar difference.

Perhaps what would make your Mom happiest is being allowed to decide on her own what she likes and doesn't like - and have the people close to her respect and support that. Nah...she may not be swift enough to know what she likes, and should be grateful that the people close to her intervene and set her straight. Geez!
Old 06-01-2004, 02:26 PM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
Based on what? Both cars are 2004 models (1 all new, 1 redesigned). Resale value is not known yet. The TL is only 6 months old and the TSX is 12 months old. Where do you get your information?
I'm just speculating, but maybe based on supply/demand - there are a lot more TLs made each year than TSX.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Vandy
But the TL hasn't even been out for a year-- upon what do you base this claim?

-S.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Racer

i thought tsx rear bumper rating sucks and it is expensive to fix it.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:21 PM
100k miles club

it might just be me but you are missing a big thing here. according to his SN he's filipino. i'm filipino and the most common thing about filipino moms is to save money. sorry to say this buddy but once that 6K savings is stuck on her head it's like written in stone. look on the bright side, at least you didn't look at the 05 altimas since they now have the navi.

good luck anyway
Old 06-01-2004, 04:43 PM
TL Techy

Thanks for all the information and comments guys. We'll just see what happens i guess. It's still an Acura

Originally Posted by Dkrudop
Perhaps an improvement in grammar and spelling might make an impression on her as well.
I checked my original post and it makes sense, i don't know about you but from all the replies, most of the people get what im trying to get across. I know i might of spelled maintenance wrong, but common, it was early morning and its the internet, its not that big of a deal. Thanks anyway.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EluSiOn
tell your mom that TSX is great for her... if she loose 30 pound and it will fit her perfectly...

that is how I got my tl.. i told my mom that I weight 200lb and 5" 11 and tsx too small for me..
Oh Yea Sport! THATS a winner! Tell yer Mom to lose 30 lbs so a car will fit her! Sheesh! You must be the sensitive type!!
Old 02-17-2005, 06:55 AM
Instructor

Thanks for all the information and comments guys. We'll just see what happens i guess. It's still an Acura

I checked my original post and it makes sense, i don't know about you but from all the replies, most of the people get what im trying to get across. I know i might of spelled maintenance wrong, but common, it was early morning and its the internet, its not that big of a deal. Thanks anyway.
Gads! The difference is like night and day! Surely, a test drive of both will be decisive toward the TL. But then other things are at play here I'm sure. Gas mileage, money, etc. . .
Old 02-17-2005, 07:00 AM
I'm Baaack!

Tell your mom you want a chance to test drive the TSX .. take her along .. start driving like a maniac telling her that you've changed your mind and that its a shame that the TL isn't as "nimble" as the TSX and you think she's making the right choice ... then wait for the TL to roll up into the driveway!!!
Old 02-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

IMO, I'd get an Accord V6 before TSX. The Accord V6 is cheaper ($8k less than TL, $2k less than TSX), runs on regular gas, makes more power, has more space, probably rides better (but handles sloppier), and has similar features as the TSX. Sure, some people will diss its look, but it's a subjective topic.

I checked Carsdirect pricing for Socal and here it goes:
Accord V6 4-dr with Nav: $26,060
TSX auto with Nav: $28,092
TL auto with Nav: $33,973
In my experience, dealers are usually willing to sell the car for less than Carsdirect.

Honda is having 2.9% financing, too, while Acura is not. Value-wise, the Accord is tough to beat.

Just a suggestion.....
Old 02-17-2005, 09:16 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Holy old post, batman.

How does this happen?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this is great

The person with the most money rules... If ole mom and dad are paying out for the car then they get to decide... unless you are a spoiled brat lol

Tell mom how the tl has better 0-60 times and see if she want to pony up the bucks for you to race..

Get an 04 left over RSX the s model and then go to comptech and get intake exhaust and super charger. Mom saves some money and you will have something that outhandles the TL and is putting out about as much hp..
Old 02-17-2005, 08:50 PM
malacanyang palace

pinauwi ko ang TL KO SA PINAS PANG HARABAS KO LANG DOON.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Racer

don't forget about the good safety rating in the TL and it comes with standard side airbag.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:02 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,241 Likes on 1,028 Posts
So what did your parents buy??
Old 03-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tell mom the TL is much faster... lol she will love that!!
Old 03-25-2005, 11:04 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
From the maintenance guy's point of view:

The TSX's service intervals are 5K (severe), 10K (normal)

The TL's service intervals are 3.75K (severe), 7.5K (normal) or per MID's recommendations.

Thus, I can run longer drains with the TSX without worry about Acura pointing a gun at my head.

I can already see it: German Castrol 0W-30 & LC/FP with a PureOne Filter for a 10K drain...

Michael
Old 03-26-2005, 07:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michael Wan
From the maintenance guy's point of view:

The TSX's service intervals are 5K (severe), 10K (normal)

The TL's service intervals are 3.75K (severe), 7.5K (normal) or per MID's recommendations.

Thus, I can run longer drains with the TSX without worry about Acura pointing a gun at my head.

I can already see it: German Castrol 0W-30 & LC/FP with a PureOne Filter for a 10K drain...

Michael
Me thinks you got the service intervals a little off there. I change my oil at 5,000 mile intervals (use syn 5-30.) Besides the TL Mid does NOT flash at 3,750? Got 9,000 miles on the '05 TL and have never seen the Mid alert. As for longevity. My BMW goes to around 15,000 between oil changes and THAT is factory specs. One can go 10,000 in the TL with no problem from what I've gathered. It's just that TLer's are a little Anal about their rides and choose to flush early.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SnappyPappy
Me thinks you got the service intervals a little off there. I change my oil at 5,000 mile intervals (use syn 5-30.) Besides the TL Mid does NOT flash at 3,750? Got 9,000 miles on the '05 TL and have never seen the Mid alert. As for longevity. My BMW goes to around 15,000 between oil changes and THAT is factory specs. One can go 10,000 in the TL with no problem from what I've gathered. It's just that TLer's are a little Anal about their rides and choose to flush early.
From what I understand, there are two ways of determining service intervals for the TL. One way is to go by the MID, the other way is to go by the "set format," which is 3750/7500. The MID does not always "flash" at 3750, but it can "flash" as early as 4000 miles, though not as common.

BTW, the BMW goes 15,000 miles between service because BMW started paying for the maintenance. The oil used for the 15K drains does NOT last the full 15,000 miles, rarely does it last more than 10,000 miles. The result: the engines rarely stay very clean and there is a problem with "oil cap deposits" with the BMW HP Synthetic.

Remember, the onboard computer does not monitor the condition of the oil, it only determines service intervals based on driving conditions. Oil Analysis is the only way to safely extend service intervals.

Michael

Quick Reply: Mom Wants TSX, Me and Dad Want TL