Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods for Mountain Roads & Climate

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 AM
bmw motorrad

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mods for Mountain Roads & Climate

Hi Everyone. This is my first official thread after my introduction a few weeks ago (06 RRP TL 5AT/navi).

My desire to add the A-spec mod is offset by a few considerations and questions that I hope some of you might help shed some light on (sorry if this is re-tread material, I've tried to search and research as much as possible).

I live and work in NYC and the car remains garaged until Friday when I typically drive up to my place in the Catskill Mountains, about 120+ miles North of here. The roads and highways up are a pleasure to drive (uhm, discounting the annoying habits of other drivers of course) and are generally nicely surfaced and well maintained. Even the secondary and county roads are in great shape. The road I live on, however, is graveled, as is my driveway, which is also fairly steep. As with the other roads in my county, even the graveled roads are very well maintained. Ours was just resurfaced a few months ago. Even so, I take it easy when I reach my road, as I can hear gravel being kicked up under body, and when I turn into (and up) my driveway, I'm conscious of the sharp change in grade...

I know I'd like to add fog-lights, and mudguards (paint-matched of course!), and all-season mats, but I'm concerned that a "full-on" A-spec mod, front and back lips, lower spoilers, wheels and lowered suspension, et al, may not be the right application for my particular use-case, or at the least, may be a bit of over-kill. Am I correct? The Cats are a popular Winter destination too and I use my house all year, but the roads are regularly plowed and I've never had a safety issue driving in them. Of course any car driving in the Catskills in the Winter gets its fair share of mud and salts and I'm conscious of trying to keep as much of that stuff off of my baby as possible!

Do any of you live in or regularly travel to mountainous or semi-rural areas and have similar concerns? What kind of mods have you done or would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:47 AM
bmw motorrad

Thanks for moving my post, moderators. I was uncertain where exactly, I could stake it.

24 hours and no responses? Not even any n00b flames?

Geez, am I in the right place?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:20 AM
bmw motorrad

Bump.

Can anyone help?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:46 PM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you'll need a good and complete Clear bra if you choose the body kit....

And BE CAREFULL
Old 10-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
If i were you, I would get a clear bra and the mud guards put on, the TL comes standard with fog lights. I would add a rear sway bar as it will help you enjoy the car more on the way to the mountains if anything, and it does not alter ride height at all, it just reduces the amount of body roll in turns.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:52 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Um just thinking ... maybe the teins suspension with the electronic "on the fly" adjustment so that you can increase your ride height when necessary .... I dunno ... just a thought
Old 10-04-2007, 01:30 PM
bmw motorrad

Hey, Thanks everyone for your comments. I was definitely thinking of doing the clear bra.

csmeance, my 06 TL doesn't have/(or to the best of my knowledge) didn't come with fog lights. Is this something I should be following up on with the original dealer?