AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   Mods that add value vs. mods that don’t (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/mods-add-value-vs-mods-don%92t-975716/)

CarbonBronze08_TL 12-18-2018 12:59 AM

Mods that add value vs. mods that don’t

I recently bought a 2008 carbon bronze pearl base TL with navigation. Everything works and there are no issues besides some paint scratches which I can correct about 70% of with touch up kit. Everything runs fine and the car drives great. I am a huge car person and though I am 18 this is not my first car and I am slowly building to my goal of saving for a j80 or j100 land cruiser. I was wondering (through experience of others) what modifications add value to the car versus some that may not. Among those I have mulled over are: tsudo cat-back system, endlessrpm or tsudo j pipe, any a-spec or type-s body mods, any CAI systems, aftermarket rims (not just increase in size even other sets of 17’s as my stock set have at least two rims that are bent). The car came with a re-upohlstered interior and I am getting wethertech mats for the front seats and it is in excellent condition, aside from the scratches on exterior. Was wondering if there are any mods that add value, and if there are any that I was considering that don’t add value,
Thank you!!!

CarbonBronze08_TL 12-18-2018 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by CarbonBronze08_TL (Post 16351885)
I recently bought a 2008 carbon bronze pearl base TL with navigation. Everything works and there are no issues besides some paint scratches which I can correct about 70% of with touch up kit. Everything runs fine and the car drives great. I am a huge car person and though I am 18 this is not my first car and I am slowly building to my goal of saving for a j80 or j100 land cruiser. I was wondering (through experience of others) what modifications add value to the car versus some that may not. Among those I have mulled over are: tsudo cat-back system, endlessrpm or tsudo j pipe, any a-spec or type-s body mods, any CAI systems, aftermarket rims (not just increase in size even other sets of 17’s as my stock set have at least two rims that are bent). The car came with a re-upohlstered interior and I am getting wethertech mats for the front seats and it is in excellent condition, aside from the scratches on exterior. Was wondering if there are any mods that add value, and if there are any that I was considering that don’t add value,
Thank you!!!

Also would like to add that I can install nearly all modifications myself and will not require the billing of mechanic installation

horseshoez 12-18-2018 04:16 AM

Other than the A-Spec package, there isn't a single mod which will add to the resale value. Period, full-stop, the end.

Midnight Mystery 12-18-2018 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16351915)
Other than the A-Spec package, there isn't a single mod which will add to the resale value. Period, full-stop, the end.

Pretty much! Keep up with maintaine and keep it clean, that's the best you can do...

Now good mods like a RV6 j-pipe, TypeS RSB and various mods for the 6 speed will hive the car some added value to an enthusiasts, and only the guys who don't mind buying the car already moded...

And, my god please nothing crazy...

Don't straight pipe it or install an eBay intake for $40...

Google "2008 Acura TL Acurazine" and browze through images, keep it clean!!!

08KBP_VA 12-18-2018 06:29 AM

None "add" value

justnspace 12-18-2018 06:36 AM

modifications do not ADD value to any car.

what ADDS value; is how good of a conditioned car you have. Keep it in IMMACULATE condition by replacing bad broken parts with GOOD non-broken parts. Maintenace over modifications all day every fuckin' day.

horseshoez 12-18-2018 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16351918)
Pretty much! Keep up with maintaine and keep it clean, that's the best you can do...

Now good mods like a RV6 j-pipe, TypeS RSB and various mods for the 6 speed will hive the car some added value to an enthusiasts, and only the guys who don't mind buying the car already moded...

And, my god please nothing crazy...

Don't straight pipe it or install an eBay intake for $40...

Google "2008 Acura TL Acurazine" and browze through images, keep it clean!!!

Even so much as an RV6 J-Pipe will decrease value of the car. Simple fact of life.

GhostTL09 12-18-2018 09:16 AM

if a TL has mods or even a slight suspension drop I don't want it. Majority of people want a clean slate if they want to mod to their taste or for a buyer like me I want 100% stock. Something that can add value is a well done tint job that isn't too dark. Makes car appear more attractive. Aftermarket wheels don't add value. In some cases the optional factory wheels can but looks are subjective. People like factory options, kits, floor mats, nets, trunk mat, factory A-spec suspension etc. Really anything outside of factory is your taste and diminishes your resale pool when you want to move on.

VALUE to me:
Maintenance records
quiet engine
Dry underneath
Aligned steering
good tires
Clean paint and clear
no or very minor curb rash
no ripped seats
no cracked dash.
....and actually seeing the car washed when I come buy it. I don't understand presenting filthy vehicles. That tells me you don't care about car. I have knocked $$$ off on my original offer just because I know the car better than the seller. Know your car and what things cost to maintain.

mhtut83 12-18-2018 09:17 AM

Listen to what everyone else said above. You do Mods to your car FOR YOU. Not to add resale value to your car. In fact, any mods you make to the car can decrease its value since most people would much preferred a well-maintained, stock vehicle than to pick up someone else's "project"

horseshoez 12-18-2018 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by mhtut83 (Post 16352018)
Listen to what everyone else said above. You do Mods to your car FOR YOU. Not to add resale value to your car. In fact, any mods you make to the car can decrease its value since most people would much preferred a well-maintained, stock vehicle than to pick up someone else's "project"

Exactly; when I was looking at cars last year, if I saw so much as an aftermarket intake, I walked.

truonghthe 12-18-2018 09:33 AM

How much would you like to walk in my cheap size 10 Walmart shoes? exactly that same concept apply for car mod, actually when you trade the car in with mods it worth less than stock.

CarbonBronze08_TL 12-18-2018 12:26 PM

Thank you all for the input, I don’t really know why I never looked at it this way but makes a ton of sense

mhtut83 12-18-2018 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonBronze08_TL (Post 16352223)
Thank you all for the input, I don’t really know why I never looked at it this way but makes a ton of sense

But this shouldn't stop you from modding YOUR CAR. Its your car! So make it your own.

dopeboy1 12-18-2018 04:24 PM

Don't mod a car with resale in mind, mod it because you love those mods. Just make sure you keep the original parts then if you do have to sell it you can put them back on and sell the aftermarket parts you remove for serious $$$$

gatrhumpy 12-18-2018 07:27 PM

I added $50 in value to my MDX by adding rear USB ports. Cost me $5. :snicker:

Acura TL Builder 12-18-2018 10:23 PM

Wasnt the Comptech Sports Supercharger a factory option at certain dealerships?

Does this mean my Comptech made my car go up in value?

Midnight Mystery 12-18-2018 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Saving4aTL (Post 16352648)

No :shrug: ?

Acura TL Builder 12-18-2018 11:02 PM

But perhaps yes.

sockr1 12-19-2018 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy (Post 16352535)
I added $50 in value to my MDX by adding rear USB ports. Cost me $5. :snicker:

show me show me! My wife needs that when she rides in the mdx back seats with our toddler

horseshoez 12-19-2018 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Saving4aTL (Post 16352676)
But perhaps yes.

Sorry, no chance, the value of your car plummeted.

Midnight Mystery 12-19-2018 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16352725)
Sorry, no chance, the value of your car plummeted.

Sell it yourself and list it in CL as "Rare Performance Package" !

Kinda like how some dealers list "With Performance Summer Tires" !

04WDPSeDaN 12-19-2018 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Saving4aTL (Post 16352648)

Yes it was. Some selective dealerships offered Comptech superchargers, short shifters, SS brake lines and the exhaust as a performance upgrade package. IMO, having a TL with Comptech performance parts does add value and i'm not saying it because I have the supercharger and exhaust. Comptech was and still is a performance brand. While I do agree with most that posted, this is just my opinion.

Acura TL Builder 12-19-2018 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16352727)
Sell it yourself and list it in CL as "Rare Performance Package" !

Kinda like how some dealers list "With Performance Summer Tires" !

lol,

Ill sell the TL before I sell the Comptech S/C. I would like to someday put it into a base 6MT.

Jackass 12-19-2018 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by sockr1 (Post 16352695)
show me show me! My wife needs that when she rides in the mdx back seats with our toddler

Easiest method....10ft cable off of Amazon is under $10. Done.

This is what we do in my TL when on long road trips and need to charge the Kids' Fire. My wife's car has a rear seat 12V outlet that we sometimes plug in a charger, but usually we toss back a 10ft cable connected to the front outlets because it is easier to manage when the car is packed full of road trip crap.

gatrhumpy 12-19-2018 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by sockr1 (Post 16352695)

You can search the MDX forum for my thread for it. I'm on my phone.

gatrhumpy 12-19-2018 04:39 PM

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-discussion-2014-414/how-add-usb-ports-2014-2016-mdx-second-row-974189