Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might be Selling Rocko :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Night and Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Might be Selling Rocko :(

This thread is to get a feel for the market. This is not a FS ad as I do not have a price yet nor am I for sure selling but if mods feel its inappropriate in this section please move.

I am considering selling my '05 NBP TL A-Spec 6MT +Nav. (mouthful! sheesh! lol)

Since this set up is pretty rare, I am having a little trouble setting a price. There are also a few other factors on both the positive and negative end of the spectrum. I was hoping my community could help me out.

First off, I am not selling my car because I don't like it. I have flirted with trading it in in the past but I have never found anything that satisfies me like my TL. It really is a brilliant car!

Now, my reasoning for selling is because I am trying to buy a house soon and I still have my supra which is not an option (I will be buried in that car one way or another )

...Anyway, the pros:

-rarity of 6MT, nav, and A-Spec combined
-OCD clean interior. barely a scratch or wear mark. You would guess it had FAR less miles on it.
-19" discontinued axis hiro wheels - though they were pretty curbed by the previous owner
-Tein coilovers
-Rotora drilled/slotted rotors
-Modded headlights
-Type-s taillights
-AEM CAI
-Comptech Exhaust - though one of the mufflers weld points is splitting right at one of the exhaust tips
-1/2 wired for aftermarket sound system...lol (also a con)
-Title in hand next month (it is going to feel SO GOOD having it paid off!!)

cons:
-Needs new tires pretty much right now
-VSA does not work (warning triangle and VSA light are on)
-Passenger door lock motor is shot
-Was involved in a burglary (completely repaired thru insurance company but this is why it is only 1/2 wired for an aftermarket sound system - est $400 to "re" complete)
-Passenger side skirt is damaged on the bottom due to a curb

Additional neutral facts about the car:

-I believe I am the 3rd owner (owner since 2008)
-Mileage as she sits right now is about 102K (105k service not done yet)

If this was YOUR TL, How much would you want to sell it for, all things considered?

I feel a few things should affect the asking price such as the door lock motor and the VSA issue but other things like the 105k service needing to be done soon should not, since, imo someone buying a car knowing the mileage should know what to expect and the price would already reflect the mileage. Am I thinking level in this regard?

I would really appreciate any feedback from my fellow 3G'ers

WE have had a LOT of cars and the TL blows me away every time I have a seat. I am going to be very sad to see (him) go should I decide to sell. I am not afraid of high mileage (not the reason I'm considering selling). The Supra has over 160k and the Celica has just under 270k. I would drive this car into the ground if money were not needed elsewhere.

Please do not offer to buy my car in this thread. I will make a FS thread in the proper section and form should I need to (but you can always PM me if you're interested!! ). This thread is to test the waters, but again, mods, if you feel this post inappropriate, please inform me.

Thank you for reading. Here are the most recent pics in current condition with the damage to the side skirt as mentioned and post break-in:

You can see the scrape on the side skirt in this picture:

This is the side of the car they broke into all fixed:

Some fun action shots:

(yes I still have Oregon plates, even though I now live a bit north of Seattle )

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm going to be very sad to see the TL go though.

Justin-
Old 11-20-2012, 02:18 PM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
Title in hand next month! KEEP IT
Old 11-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Type Sour

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts
Keep it, paid in full.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:27 PM

Received 9,506 Likes on 6,175 Posts
I would keep it. You're going to spend too much getting everything fixed to sell OR you're going to get lowballed if you don't fix them.

Keep it and cut out other things in your budget that you don't need. I used to constantly go out for dinner but now that I've cut way back, I have more money to put towards other things. Making little lifestyle changes like that can go a long ways
Old 11-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Night and Day

I would love nothing more than to keep it, guys but for the sake of this thread and what I am asking in it, do you have a suggestion on a selling approach?

I recently sold a van with a rebuilt tranny, non working power seat, non working drivers window, and a shot emissions system and wheel bearings for my mom. I also just sold a dead 3000GT for my uncle.

I am not afraid to sell a car that despite being in pretty great shape, has some issues.

If I do decide to sell, would you guys think it fair, to subtract cost of repairs for the VSA and door lock motor and give a little incentive for tires as well and price it according to it's mileage? should I lower it for other reasons? I know a lot of times aftermarket parts are not really a heavy factor to people so I cant just say "I want a ton of money because my car is modded all cool and shit"

I also have the luxury of having other cars at my disposal so I don't have to take the first offer given to me. I can wait for the price I want. I am not greedy but I do want a fair price.

I do appreciate the "save here and there" suggestion (how do you think I am the title in hand owner of an MKIV supra turbo and the TL at 28?) I am not blowing money left and right (I did just buy a Halo 4 Limited Edition 360 though! ...but in my defense, my other one bricked on me).

Trust me. I want to keep it. But I also want to grow up a little and want to be a home owner. The money from the TL would be a great start to my down payment and motivator to save even more. Plus it'll save me having to pay that much more in insurance which I would consider a "save here and there"

Again, guys, thank you for your responses and support for keeping it so far. Can anyone suggest a selling strategy?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 PM

KBB estimates a 2005 6-speed navi TL (not including A-Spec) with your mileage in excellent condition should go for about $12,200.

Your car has the A-Spec kit which adds value to your car, but not enough to offset the price of parts and labor to fix the things needed. I would start with a high asking price of $14,000 and say that you're willing to negotiate the price due to the maintenance and parts needed.

It's a great looking TL, awesome options and such, but unfortunately the parts and work needed won't appeal to every buyer out there. Just remind them that no used car is perfect
Old 11-20-2012, 03:06 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car looks good I would think you could get 13500-14000 for it.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
I would asking for $14k to start but the set price would be $13k.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:28 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I dont think "aspec" adds to the value.
especially since you've done mods like the sharksmouth grille.
it'll take a special owner to take on the mods that you have.

Why not go to cars.com
or nadavalue.com
or kelleybluebook.com
or yougetthepicture.com

it will give you a value of your car with your specific area code.

then hop on craigslist and see if any other TL's in the same condition yours is, is selling at that price

Last edited by justnspace; 11-20-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
FWIW Mods actual detract from value to the average buyer.

A more realistic assessment might be

PROS
-rarity of 6MT, nav, and A-Spec combined (full, or just the skirts?)
-OCD clean interior. barely a scratch or wear mark. You would guess it had FAR less miles on it.

cons:
-I believe I am the 3rd owner (Any more than 2 and I start wondering why it got passed around so much)
-Needs new tires pretty much right now
-VSA does not work (This is a big deal. I would likely walk.)
-Passenger door lock motor is shot
-Was involved in a burglary
-Passenger side skirt is damaged on the bottom due to a curb
-Tein coilovers
-Modded headlights
-Type-s taillights
-AEM CAI
-Comptech Exhaust - though one of the mufflers weld points is splitting right at one of the exhaust tips
-1/2 wired for aftermarket sound system...lol (also a con)
-Mileage as she sits right now is about 102K,105k service not done yet. (smart buyer will hit you up for the cost of this)

Additional neutral facts about the car:
-19" discontinued axis hiro wheels - though they were pretty curbed by the previous owner (Curbed -, but most folks won't worry about wheels, maybe even like them.)
-Rotora drilled/slotted rotors (mostly since most people won't notice)
-Title in hand next month (people expect this. No way you're getting a check without me leaving with the title)

If you're serious about selling I'd part out as much as absolutely possible. You'll widen your pool of interested buyers by a whole lot. If you're willing to wait for the right buyer you'll get some money for mods, but chances are you'll wait. My first question when I see a modded car is "what has the owner screwed up?"
Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
IMO, you'd be very lucky to get low KBB in that condition, if that. You'd probably be better off to at least fix the VSA and door lock, if not also do the 105K service.

I wouldn't touch it as is....
Old 11-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
sell the wheels to me I'm in renton
Old 11-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Night and Day

Ha! I am not interested in selling the wheels. I can't drive on air and I like my wheels.

Thank you guys for the feedback so far.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:15 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by gwai1o
Might be Selling Rocko

You named your car 'Rocko'?!?!
The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (11-21-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 10:16 PM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by IamaTL:
Bearcat94 (11-20-2012), SharksBreath (11-21-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 PM
riding low and steady

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
If your looking to trading it in, returning it back to stock would probably yield you a little bit more money in the end. Dealers dont really care for upgraded parts, they will give you what they want and sell it for what they want. If your serious about what you may get, best thing you could do is take it to your nearest Carmax. They will look it over and give you a value then you can compare that to KBB and such.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Night and Day

^^^
I am not looking to trade it in unless the dealer wants to let me trade it in on a house (as mentioned in my reason for selling)

Btw my friend named it. There were a fair amount of rock chips on the nose from the previous owner and I wasn't fond of rocky and I loved Rocko's Modern Life.

And yes, full A-Spec package. Full kit, brembos, etc.

I realize mods aren't a selling point to MOST buyers but I don't have any interest in altering it for sale if I sold it.

Oh and to clarify, the car was not stolen, just broken into and stuff stolen out of it. Still sucked though.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:22 AM
riding low and steady

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
^^^
I am not looking to trade it in unless the dealer wants to let me trade it in on a house (as mentioned in my reason for selling)

Btw my friend named it. There were a fair amount of rock chips on the nose from the previous owner and I wasn't fond of rocky and I loved Rocko's Modern Life.

I realize mods aren't a selling point to MOST buyers but I don't have any interest in altering it for sale if I sold it.

Oh and to clarify, the car was not stolen, just broken into and stuff stolen out of it. Still sucked though.
Gotcha but you can still take it to a Carmax tell them your thinking of selling it and get their 5 day quote and get a good feel for testing the waters that way.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Unless you sell to someone who wants those mods, you're not going to get any money for them .... they're not worth anything to someone who doesn't want them.

In some cases you may lose money on mods based on the argument that it'll cost to put it back to stock.

If you're buying a house and paid off car is a nice thing to have.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:02 AM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts
defiantly agree with bearcat, the resale value to someone looking for a mod is higher than the average car buyer. A full part out, back to stock sale would help sell the car while still getting 12-14k for it even after getting rid of mods.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts

When you say full ASPEC package what you are really referring to is just the lip kit right? Do you have the ASPEC steering wheel? Obviously, you don't have the wheels. I don't see the badge on the car. Does it have the ASPEC suspension?

Good luck w buying the home
Old 11-21-2012, 06:44 AM

and LOL at your user name.
you white ghost.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Night and Day

Not sure on the suspension since there are now tein coilovers and the wheels are not oem all mods were done previous to my ownership. it may very well just be the kit but i thought the brembo calipers (i "upgraded" the rotors and pads) were part of the aspec deal. were they just a stand alone option?

and yessir. the whitest of ghosts
Old 11-21-2012, 11:30 AM

the brembo calipers came with your 6MT.

only 6MT cars are equipped with brembo calipers.
then in 07-08 only type-s were equipped with brembos

<-------06 6MT with Brembos!
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
Bearcat94 (11-21-2012), gwai1o (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by IamaTL
defiantly agree with bearcat, the resale value to someone looking for a mod is higher than the average car buyer. A full part out, back to stock sale would help sell the car while still getting 12-14k for it even after getting rid of mods.
In general you'll get more money selling the mods off the car than on the car. If that's worth the hassle is up the the OP.

Not sure on the suspension since there are now tein coilovers and the wheels are not oem all mods were done previous to my ownership. it may very well just be the kit but i thought the brembo calipers (i "upgraded" the rotors and pads) were part of the aspec deal. were they just a stand alone option?
Do you have the steering wheel with the gray patch and the aspec badge? If not chance you just have the body kit.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:29 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
technically you can't call it aspec if no suspension, no wheels, no steering wheel, no badge, just having the lip kit...does not make the car an official aspec'd TL. just sayin'

and yes, justn is correct in his brembos comment...6MT base models and type-s...brembos came standard.

as far as selling the car...you're going to need a fellow AZ member to buy your car from you. as others have said, there are a number of items that need to be addressed not to mention that mods will detract from most avg buyers. they look at the mods and wonder if the owner has raced the car and abused the engine. take your former car payments and save up for that house you want for a few more yrs, keep the TL.
The following users liked this post:
CLtotheTL32 (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Night and Day

Originally Posted by justnspace
the brembo calipers came with your 6MT.

only 6MT cars are equipped with brembo calipers.
then in 07-08 only type-s were equipped with brembos

<-------06 6MT with Brembos!
Thank you for clarifying that I must just have the lip kit then. Sorry for the confusion.

As for returning it to stock. I'm not interested in buying all new OEM parts to get an extra few bucks out of the resale.

This thread is about me selling the car "as is" IF i sell it. That is the input I am looking for. Thank you everyone for your so far though.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:32 PM

I would go ahead and post it just to see the offers and feedback from prospective buyers
Old 11-22-2012, 07:30 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
post it on BM section here on AZ and see what you come up with. you never know.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I think that you'd only get a premium bump in price due to mods and/or the rarity of an ASpec car if you sold it to a knowledgeable Acura fan.

Most buyers will look at book value and then start subtracting dollars based on what it needs done. So, in its current condition, I'd start at $14k and be thrilled with getting $12k if only because it could cost another $2500 right out of the gate to get the car right (including 105k service)... Hell, $2500 is 105k service and tires all by itself.

Last edited by Renescent; 11-22-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Spelling