Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might purchase 08 TL Type S 6MT, any owners please advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:55 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might purchase 08 TL Type S 6MT, any owners please advise

I might be purchasing a 08 TL type s 6 speed. I have a couple questions, if anyone can please help me out.

How is the fuel economy in the city and highway?

How is the reliability? The one I am looking at purchasing has higher miles at 90k (all highway). Is there any major maintenance due soon for a type s of that mileage?

Is there any problem area I should inspect outside a normal inspection items?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2011, 11:59 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
fuel economy in the city, expect 19-21.
highway - as high as 34mpg.

there is a 105k service which includes timing belt and water pump.

Honda MT's have always had a 3rd gear issue.
dating back to early civic si's to s2ks, 3rd gen TL, 4th gen TL, etc.
I recommend draining the MTF and replacing it with GM syncromesh Friction modified.

It cured my 3rd gear pop out.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Do it, Do it, You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
I have an 08 6mt and here are my thoughts.

Expect to change the tranny fluid as each and every single Type S 6mt I test drove had weird 3rd gear issues and they even popped out of gear. I did the GM fluid change on my 08 and its 100% perfect shifting ever since. So do not let a questionable 3rd gear steer you away from a car you want. The GM fluid will fix it.

Fuel economy is very good and its infact measureably better than the 5at version. I know I have owned both. I get 25 around town in the far chicago suburbs and thats without ever touching a highway. I dont ever really need to drive on the highways so I dont have that number for you. Im sure its 30+ especially since I get 25 without being on the highway.

If you like to get on it a lot get used to no traction whatsoever in 1st gear and a LOT of torque steer in 1st and 2nd. Only time you will get traction is if its a very hot summer day where the tires and pavement are hot. Atleast my 08 with stock tires doesnt get traction.

With that mileage your gonna need to get the timing belt done in the not too distant future. That can be pretty pricey.

My car has been great with the exception of this damn surging issue I have had. I drove other Type S 6mt's that didnt do it, but mainly in 2nd and 3rd gear my car surges during normal acceleration. Check to make sure yours doesnt do that because it drives me nuts and I cant figure out what it is and neither can the dealership.

Lastly, the 6mt takes a LOT of getting used to and is the most tricky manual transmission I have EVER driven. To be honest its pretty annoying sometimes especially 1st gear, but whatever its still fun. Stalling is not the issue its finessing it to make the car somewhat comfortable to drive in. I see my wifes body bouncin all over the place sometimes if I dont get the clutch and gas perfect lol.

Hope this helps.

James
The following 3 users liked this post by JTS97Z28:
Acura_Dude (06-24-2011), justnspace (06-24-2011), P1zzaman (06-25-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 12:17 PM

Thanks James!

I agree, my 06 TL was/is the hardest car to learn the clutch.
I have no problem jumping into another car and mastering the clutch in day, but the TL took at least 3 weeks to master.

I, also changed out my tires to a sticky summer tire. I'm glad to report that my torque steer has been reduced.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Thanks James!

I agree, my 06 TL was/is the hardest car to learn the clutch.
I have no problem jumping into another car and mastering the clutch in day, but the TL took at least 3 weeks to master.

I, also changed out my tires to a sticky summer tire. I'm glad to report that my torque steer has been reduced.
by torque steer do you mean wheelspin? because stickier tires for me magnified torque steer in my FWD TL but reduced wheelspin.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by pickler
by torque steer do you mean wheelspin? because stickier tires for me magnified torque steer in my FWD TL but reduced wheelspin.
Yeah the Michelins will spin all day. Stickier tires help acceleration greatly, you just have to know the torque steer is have a good grip on the wheel.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
To me, the 6 speed was pretty easy to learn, and it was my first stick shift car. 1st gear can be a little tricky sometimes but once you get used to it it's fine.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:07 PM
3rd Gear

So 90k is an OK mileage? I have never owned a 6 cylinder Honda product. Are they as reliable as the 4 cylinders? Thanks
Old 06-24-2011, 03:09 PM

very reliable.
we have some 3G TL's in the 200+k range.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Yes, I bought mine at 94K and it has 107k now. All I do is oil changes and the 105k service and I have had ZERO problems with it. And the 08 isn't even that old anyway.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
I say if you can afford to buy it and be able to get the 105k tuneup out of the way then do it.

timing belt job gonna cost around 1400.00 at dealership easy. that includes:
timing belt
water pump
I highly recommend new tensioner - some people don't
check cam seals, crank seals for oil leakage (honda v6's have been the best IMO for not needing new seals 1st 100k miles where 4 cyl are notorious for leaking)
spark plugs - 125.00 a set
change coolant if not already done so and because most will leak out when water pump is changed.
new serpentine belt and power steering belt

Those are the major things and I may be missing some.

If you can do all this work yourself you should be able to do it using genuine Acura parts for about 5 to 6 hundred - just parts.

JTS - sounds like the IACV or similiar could be causing your problem. I had a weird idle stumble but a new air filter took car of that. It still takes a half second longer of key turn to start then any other Honda I have owned.

I notice a little hesitation on half throttle in lower gears but I overcome that with more throttle lol.

I got 29 mpg hwy over a 4 tank average when on vacation. I averaged around 21 city driving overall average is around 24-25

This car gets its sticker fuel economy dead on. If yours doesn't it needs something.

I plan on changing plugs early but I also live at 5200' above sea level. I am a little starved on air as it is.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by pickler
Absolutely NOT... Torque-steer is exactly that. When you floor any model TL because there is so much power being put through the front wheels that it can uncontrollably yank the steering wheel hard from left to right. If you floor the car while turning left or right the wheel will violently pull harder to the direction you were turning causing to over correct. That is Torque Steer. It's a nascence buts it doesn't take long to learn how to modulate the throttle when pulling out onto the street from a side street or when flooring it going forward at a light. I had no problems because i had a CL-S6 before i became a paraplegic and now my upper body is so strong that after my first car since my spinal-cord injury (08 Honda Accord EX-L/NAVI 4cyl) the 08 TL wasn't much of an adjustment. It def brought back memories of how i managed control of my CL-S6. You'll love the car. I love my 08 non-Type-S but I'm commenting because the power-bands of the J32/35 are exactly the same and peak hp/tq rpm are the same which is a rare occurrence with motor cousins. Nissan's VQ-series V6's don't have these power similarities.

The only negative the J32/35's tend to have would be is for all that tq-steer down low the engines have, the power is low at the same rpm all that tq happens (idle to 3000rpm) but when vtec x-over happens, the tone change and constant climb in power doesn't end until fuel cut-off. I like a motor with a lot of top-end. Thats why I've only owned Honda products (all VTEC motors) since i was 19yo . I hope I wasn't rambling.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:55 PM
www.colradodetail.com

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Absolutely NOT... Torque-steer is exactly that. When you floor any model TL because there is so much power being put through the front wheels that it can uncontrollably yank the steering wheel hard from left to right. If you floor the car while turning left or right the wheel will violently pull harder to the direction you were turning causing to over correct. That is Torque Steer. It's a nascence buts it doesn't take long to learn how to modulate the throttle when pulling out onto the street from a side street or when flooring it going forward at a light. I had no problems because i had a CL-S6 before i became a paraplegic and now my upper body is so strong that after my first car since my spinal-cord injury (08 Honda Accord EX-L/NAVI 4cyl) the 08 TL wasn't much of an adjustment. It def brought back memories of how i managed control of my CL-S6. You'll love the car. I love my 08 non-Type-S but I'm commenting because the power-bands of the J32/35 are exactly the same and peak hp/tq rpm are the same which is a rare occurrence with motor cousins. Nissan's VQ-series V6's don't have these power similarities.

The only negative the J32/35's tend to have would be is for all that tq-steer down low the engines have, the power is low at the same rpm all that tq happens (idle to 3000rpm) but when vtec x-over happens, the tone change and constant climb in power doesn't end until fuel cut-off. I like a motor with a lot of top-end. Thats why I've only owned Honda products (all VTEC motors) since i was 19yo . I hope I wasn't rambling.
Correct me if i am wrong but Tq steer is caused by the difference in length of the half shafts. you get more twist in the longer shaft causing different wheel speeds which cause your car to pull. Getting stickier tires helps but will always be there for this reason.

I have an 08 tl and have been a Honda owner.... my DD is a 91 civic lx 4dr with 298560 on it!! i hope to see the same mileage on the TL!!!
Old 06-25-2011, 08:52 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Absolutely NOT... Torque-steer is exactly that. When you floor any model TL because there is so much power being put through the front wheels that it can uncontrollably yank the steering wheel hard from left to right. .
Yes I noticed that when I test drove it - a LOT of torque steer at full throttle. I am coming from a 200hp prelude so I was used to a good amount of torque steer, but the TLS is a beast in that department. An uneducated driver could go as far as crashing the thing.

Thanks everyone for the replies I am hoping to pick up the car next week if it has not sold.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceja
JTS - sounds like the IACV or similiar could be causing your problem. I had a weird idle stumble but a new air filter took car of that. It still takes a half second longer of key turn to start then any other Honda I have owned.
Humm I didnt even think there is an IAC valve on the TL. Care to elaborate for me a little more? Any additional info on my issue is greatly appreciated since I cant figure it out.

Thanks,
James