Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The MID is very accurate in MPG estimate- here's proof

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
The MID is very accurate in MPG estimate- here's proof

I had about 4 months of gas receipts to enter into the www.fueleconomy.gov site today while watching football. I have written about the MID being accurate before, but a picture is worth a thousand words. Below is a picture of the screen that shows the actual mileage with the Average Speed / MID calculated MPG values on the far right column in the comments field of the web site. Over time, you begin to see patterns of average speed and MPG as shown when the average speed is 27mph, I usually get 18-ish MPG.

Notice all entries are within 1 MPG of actual and the MID is usually errors on being conservative in estimate. I fill up the same and usually from the same gas station. My average MPG for 4.5 years of ownership is 20MPG and I drive aggressively in an urban environment usually.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:35 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
not bad at all, considering the amount of weight you have to move around, and you MUST HAVE BEEN BORED (i stopped keeping track, i still check it though, just not "record" it, when i started to get like 15-16 mpg

btw those march trips really made the mpg shot up (the 19th and the second 22nd one LMFAO, i will surely take that additional 10 miles per hour
Old 12-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
^ thanks! It actually doesn't take too much time to enter the numbers and I do it a few times a year after I purge all the receipts from the console.

FireFox caches the MPH/MID text so I often just need to pick from text already entered before so it's pretty easy to enter things. What blows me away is how often the exact text is used with an actual MPG so close-this tells me average speed is a huge indicator on MPG.

Yes, the March trip was fun since the TL doesn't get out of San Diego much- we took a long weekend blast up to the bay area (we usually take the Honda Pilot on that mission). I usually fly pretty fast on 5 as shown with the 74mph average speed- that's really about 80mph with the typical slowdowns with trying to get around trucks passing each other with parade formation on the 5 (just two lanes for 300+ miles).
Old 12-19-2010, 06:10 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
^ thanks! It actually doesn't take too much time to enter the numbers and I do it a few times a year after I purge all the receipts from the console.

FireFox caches the MPH/MID text so I often just need to pick from text already entered before so it's pretty easy to enter things. What blows me away is how often the exact text is used with an actual MPG so close-this tells me average speed is a huge indicator on MPG.

Yes, the March trip was fun since the TL doesn't get out of San Diego much- we took a long weekend blast up to the bay area (we usually take the Honda Pilot on that mission). I usually fly pretty fast on 5 as shown with the 74mph average speed- that's really about 80mph with the typical slowdowns with trying to get around trucks passing each other with parade formation on the 5 (just two lanes for 300+ miles).
as said i just stop recording them (i check them at the pump before i reset the trip meter), after i got depressed with what i was getting cause of my right foot

and 80 mph is actually not that fast here (speed limit is 75 on the interstate here once you get out of city limits and such), cause i know quite often the traffic in the fast lane can be moving 75 in the fast lane in a 65 (so it be like 90 with the 75 limit)

anyways, it can also be all in how you drive also with the mileage, shit wife gets 33 in a 09 Subaru WRX (epa rated at like 29 or something; i think, i know it is under 30 though) all while spinning an AWD system and a hairdryer/turbo on the motor; but when i hop in i get like 20, and 15 at times, but then again i live for VTEC/boost, and speed