Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sports A/S vs. Perelli P Zero Nero M&S

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 03:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Michelin Pilot Sports A/S vs. Perelli P Zero Nero M&S

I see a lot of praise for the Pilots...and I have praise for them myself. I had them recently on a VR6 Jetta. They are a bit pricey though. Looks to me like the Zero's get similar and in some ways better scores on tirerack.com. Any comments between the two? I am trying to decide what to do if my TL shows up with faulty EL42's.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
the SO3's are a GREAT tire also, i havent driven the nero's but i have the SO#'s and the PILOTS. both are great and i liked the pilots a little better
Old 01-25-2004, 04:20 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Re: Michelin Pilot Sports A/S vs. Perelli P Zero Nero M&S

Originally posted by mamorgan1
I see a lot of praise for the Pilots...and I have praise for them myself. I had them recently on a VR6 Jetta. They are a bit pricey though. Looks to me like the Zero's get similar and in some ways better scores on tirerack.com. Any comments between the two? I am trying to decide what to do if my TL shows up with faulty EL42's.
Despite all the praise, if you read all the reviews and threads on the Michelins, you'll find almost everyone commenting on their noise in some way. Even Consumer Reports found their noise level to be high. The Pirelli's are rated better on most fronts and can be had for a lot less money.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Instructor

For me it came down to what did my "favorite" tire shop carry. If they'd carried the Zero's, I'd have gotten them. This is my second set of Pilots...but I've always wanted to try the Zero's too...guess it'll be next time.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

I got the P Zero's. They are very smoth and quiet and today we had an ice storm and I had little to no problem getting up my ice covered hill. 245/45/17 on stock rims
Old 01-25-2004, 08:07 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The only problem I have with the PZero Nero M+S tires is that Perrelli took the SUMMER tread pattern of the PZero Nero (summer tires) and simply added all season rubber compound to it without ANY modification to the tread.

The tread design of the NERO M+S is NOT what I would expect for a all season tire for good snow or ice performance, it lacks sipes and it lacks the cross tread groves to compact the snow in them.

The Pilot Sport A/S tread design is MUCH different than its summer only variant, it does include sipes (the summer has none) and the V pattern that has been seen on top rated snows and all seasons (dunlop winter sports and conti extream contact).
Old 01-25-2004, 08:16 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've done some detailed research to replace the stock tires on my 2002 TLS and I've decided on Pirelli PZero Nero M+S 235/45/17s. Excellent price. Most recommended by tirerack. And quite grippy considering I'm on 215/50/17s now
Old 01-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Racer

need4speed - I tend to agree on the neros and would not think they would be good in the snow if I didn't have them on my car. I am in central PA and we have been getting a lot of inclement weather lately and the Neros have held up with aplomb in these conditions. Even today on virtually unplowed roads they have done very well. Somewhat amazing to me.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by need4spd
The only problem I have with the PZero Nero M+S tires is that Perrelli took the SUMMER tread pattern of the PZero Nero (summer tires) and simply added all season rubber compound to it without ANY modification to the tread.

The tread design of the NERO M+S is NOT what I would expect for a all season tire for good snow or ice performance, it lacks sipes and it lacks the cross tread groves to compact the snow in them.

The Pilot Sport A/S tread design is MUCH different than its summer only variant, it does include sipes (the summer has none) and the V pattern that has been seen on top rated snows and all seasons (dunlop winter sports and conti extream contact).
I'm going to repace mine in the next week. I live in CA and don't care about snow traction at all and was wondering if anyone could give me any feedback regarding the Pilot VS Pilot Sport AS on both traction and noise differences. The Pilot is a much nicer looking tire and if the road noise is the same I would go with them. They also cost a little less.

Also does the same apply to a set of Perrelli Tires? All season VS summer comparison. Do I have 4 to choose from?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Sounds like purchasing either the PZero Nero or the Pilot Sport A/S would be a good idea, can't go wrong with either, but with the PZero Nero they are less $$$ and have a larger contact patch!
Old 01-26-2004, 01:09 PM
an Acura has-been

chadr,

I believe your experiance, glad they work!

Neversat, yes there are 4 choices, actually 5, Now that michelin is comming out witht he Pilot Sport PS2 tire.

Here is some good reading from the folks over at the tire rack:

New tire test on the PS2 Michelin -

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...nextGen_c.html
Here is a test report on how the Pilot Sport, Pilot Sport A/S and Pilot Sport Cup tires compare:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/mi_pilot_sports.jsp

Note that the summer tires will always outperform the all season variant, at the cost of tread wear (shorter for summers) and may be slightly louder (summer)

Here is a comparison of the Pilot Sport, PZero Nero and S-03 tires (all summer tires) - good info, and the Perreli did fairly well and was the quietest :

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/max_max_perf.jsp

Here is test data on the Pzero Nero M+S:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...emeContact.jsp

If you can live without snow performance / cold weather performance (less than 45F or so) AND shorter life more noise, then go with the summer tires, they will always outperform the A/S tires.

In the past I had always had a set of snows and summers, and loved the performace of the summers when the were on.

Enjoy the reading!

NOTE- TIRES WERE NOT TESTED WITH SAME CAR (READ REVIEW FOR CAR TESTED WITH)
Old 01-26-2004, 01:12 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by need4spd
chadr,

I believe your experiance, glad they work!

Neversat, yes there are 4 choices, actually 5, Now that michelin is comming out witht he Pilot Sport PS2 tire.

Here is some good reading from the folks over at the tire rack:
Chadr: did you post some copy? Or did you mean there instead of here?
Old 01-26-2004, 01:25 PM
an Acura has-been

Originally posted by neversat
Chadr: did you post some copy? Or did you mean there instead of here?
Neversat, sorry I goofed, see the edited reply above for all the tirerack test data!
Old 01-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Banned

thanks N4S, looks like the PZero Nero twins outperform the Michelin twins in thier classes if you believe the tirerack info.

I always thought they were Bridgestone supporters, but with the latest tests, it seems they have knocked down the S-03 (but not far) from the Nero's
Old 01-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Banned

Sounds about right both tires are good, just don't support Bridgestone!
Old 01-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Racer

In the past I have done the seperate snow and summer tires as well. I find I am just getting too old to care enough to be swapping tires. Also in my area over the winter we typically don't have constant snow on the ground so a pure winter tire is wasted most of the time.

Only thing I would do differently given the chance is to get the 245s instead of the 235s.