Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maxima owner here; checked out new TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maxima owner here; checked out new TL

As I've been hearing SO MUCH from you guys (and others) about the new TL (and the fact that I received ANOTHER recall notice on my 2k2 Maxima), I figured I would stop by my local Acura Dealership tonight to checkout the new TL.

In short: WOW!!!!

Now, I havent driven it yet; that'll be tomorrow with the wife. But, even without driving it, the TL is SWEET. Just getting in, sitting down and watching the gauges lightup alone, was cool. I'm so eager to test drive it tomorrow that I may never get to sleep tonight.

The cool part is that the dealership had a certified used 2k3 TLS right next to it. So I was able to compare the two generations. Bottomline: No comparison. The TL-S is nice (they had about 10 that I saw on the lot) but the new TL is in a whole different world.

This car MAY just supercede my prior desire to get a Lexus GS430.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:24 PM
Mav
Team Nighthawk Spokesman

I just ran and got my wife...you sound just like me.

Fixaded on the GS series since introduction in '93 but it was a 6 banger and lacked the get up and go. '95 they add 5 speed automatic and still lacking get up and go...GS400.....:wow: :wow: :wow: But $45 to $50..sorry I can talk a freight train down a dirt road...but this was a non closable deal with "The Boss". I could remember staying awake at night thinking about it and struggling with the color combinations of the car I would never get.

Then...'04 TL....and honestly...it was that same feeling I had for years over the GS....but this was even more time robbing. So I got it. 6 banger..and boy does she love to run.

Any ways...good luck...sleeping tonight...for I assure you that your feelings of anticipation...will be over come only by your feeling of exuberation while you drive the TL.

No I dont work for Acura...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express lastnight.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:33 PM

This car MAY just supercede my prior desire to get a Lexus GS430
For cheaper payments, that is about all.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:55 AM
Instructor

I traded in my 03 Max 6speed for the 04 TL 6speed. Oh how refined the Acura is compared to the Nissan. Interior materials are just no comparison as the TL kicks ass...My maxima had terrible torque steer and terrible stock tires..
Old 01-24-2004, 07:24 AM
Racer

I can say for certain that my new 04 TL (which I'll be taking deliver on next Thursday) is much more refined than my wifes 6 month old 04 Maxima SE (w/driver preferred). Now she wont admit to that because that's her baby, but she said that with a smirk.....
Old 01-24-2004, 07:51 AM
Racer

I've liked the maxima all the way up until the latest model. I had fantasies about getting a maxima until my wife woke me up (she got the last 3 new cars).

So now I turn 40 and my wife gives me her blessing to get the Maxima. This didn't work out too well as MY point of view on the latest model is "what have they done to my baby?" On the other hand, this also forced me to some serious and non-biased comparison. And guess what, I am the proud owner of 04 TL - and not regretting getting anything else. I don't rememeber being this happy about my car since my Z28 out of HS.

04 TL / 5AT / Navi / NBD
Old 01-24-2004, 07:55 AM
Pro

Mav,1Sicklex: I'm still going to checkout the GS430 (GS300 just doesnt cut performance-wise) but with a $19G premium over the Acura TL, it's unlikely I'll go the Lex route. IMO, the TL is heavily underpriced; Acura could easily sell it for 40-large (shhhhhhhh!!! dont tell Honda)

achadha, how is the torque steer of the TL compared to the Max?? I do plan to run the TL @ the track (only occassionally) but dont want to put on a burnout display @ the line (i.e.: Maxima).

greenseed, since my Max gets its share of dealer service time, I've had a chance to scope out the 6G Max. While that car has grown on me over time, I agree with your observation in comparing it to the TL.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Why pay more for less? Ok fine, the GS430 is still a bit nicer but is it almost $15,000 nicer? Only if you've got the money to burn or you're biased. VQ35DE is a Nissan guy and he was just stating his opinion and I suspect he's not alone in feeling this way. My dad made a similar statement the other day. He's waiting to see what Acura does with the RL because it just might put the GS430 to shame (in handling, performance, price, and features). Man, I expected more thoughtful comments from you but you haven't been the same since that accident. Is the head feeling okay?
Old 01-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Pro

Well I test drove an auto TL w/Navi and full rear spoiler (black pearl w/camel int). The sales guy gave my wife and I the keys and let us go on a prolonged test drive.

The ergonomics while driving were excellent; probably the second best car ergonomics I've ever experienced (the best being the Lexus SC400). Simply awesome.

As for the power delivery: from a roll, it didnt feel much quicker than my 2k2 Max. But from a standing start, it was clearly quicker and didnt have the acceleration lull that my Max has once it shifts into 3rd gear. (5sp auto vs 4sp auto) Though clearly quicker, it wasnt overwhelmingly quicker than my Max; I'd wager to guess that its probably good for a 14.5-14.7 sec ET with the auto tranny.

As part of my test drive (seeing as the sales guy didnt come with us), I drove to the Lexus Dealership down the road to check out the GS430. $52,XXX and 16" wheels shocked the heck out of me; though the GS430 clearly leans more towards luxury than performance, I cant see how they justify that MSRP. (Though I've seen them run mid 14s @ the track, the setup of the car doesnt seem to encourage performance oriented driving) So the GS is out.

That said, I came VERY CLOSE to dumping the Max for this TL on the spot. However, I need to test drive the G35S, Audi A6 2.7T and 2k4 Maxima SE to gain some perspective.

But the TL is now TOPS on my list.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I owned a '97 Maxima before my current '04 TL. I put about 130k of the most reliable miles ever on that car. It rarely, if ever gave me problems. I only had one or two repairs that were out of warranty. I had been drooling to get a G35 to replace it for about 2 years. Then the TL came along and blew me away. For me it was no contest. I had driven the new Maxima and that thing felt (and looked?) like a boat in comparison. The torque steer is still silly on the Maxima as it has been for years. When I floored the new Maxima, it felt like I was going to take off in about 8 directions at once. I floored the TL (automatic), and yes there was some torque steer, but nothing so wildly pronounced as the Max. I also disliked the Max and G35 interiors. The G35's looked like they ran out of budget and that cloth/felt material on the doors of the Max felt odd. I also disliked the round gauges in the Max. They seemed like they didn't belong in that car - somewhat out of place.

I've had my '04 TL since October 25th, and I'm still having fun with it. Great car and I have no regrets!
Old 01-24-2004, 10:22 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by VQ35DE
Well I test drove an auto TL w/Navi and full rear spoiler (black pearl w/camel int). The sales guy gave my wife and I the keys and let us go on a prolonged test drive.

The ergonomics while driving were excellent; probably the second best car ergonomics I've ever experienced (the best being the Lexus SC400). Simply awesome.

As for the power delivery: from a roll, it didnt feel much quicker than my 2k2 Max. But from a standing start, it was clearly quicker and didnt have the acceleration lull that my Max has once it shifts into 3rd gear. (5sp auto vs 4sp auto) Though clearly quicker, it wasnt overwhelmingly quicker than my Max; I'd wager to guess that its probably good for a 14.5-14.7 sec ET with the auto tranny.

As part of my test drive (seeing as the sales guy didnt come with us), I drove to the Lexus Dealership down the road to check out the GS430. $52,XXX and 16" wheels shocked the heck out of me; though the GS430 clearly leans more towards luxury than performance, I cant see how they justify that MSRP. (Though I've seen them run mid 14s @ the track, the setup of the car doesnt seem to encourage performance oriented driving) So the GS is out.

That said, I came VERY CLOSE to dumping the Max for this TL on the spot. However, I need to test drive the G35S, Audi A6 2.7T and 2k4 Maxima SE to gain some perspective.

Teh New TL auto is about a s quick as an 02/03 Max auto, after test driving the 04 Tl auto I would say this. The Max has the advantage down low/mid the TL up high, the Max will get it out of the hole bu tthe TL will catch up up high. The sales guy I went to had an 03 Maxima and he said he lined up with one of the other sales guys in this 04 Demo and he got it out of the hole and the TL came back at about 60. I love the new TL and 02/03 Max, If I would have waited unitl I would have both an 03 Max and new TL but I purchased a 350Z when we got rid of our problem TLS last year. If you compare Maxima to the New TL the 02/03 compares better than the 04 IMO quality wise, the 04 Max has gone way down hill in material quality for a 30k car.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:40 PM
whut

I test drove the G35S and the A6 2.7T before buying my TL. I'm sure you know about the G's power delivery...torquey and smooth...but I could never warm up to the interior quality. The few extra inches of room in the TL make all the difference in comfort also. Still, it's a stiff competitor.

My previous fave was the 2.7T, and I had high hopes of buying one. My two test drives (just to be sure) left me less than impressed with the uncomfortable interior and the so-so power delivery, and the typical European price premium is not justified. One point in its favor...if you get the 6MT a simple chip swap will get you anywhere from 300-320 hp with no other mods. The automatic reportedly can't handle the extra power if you mod it. Another consideration is Audi's spotty customer service reputation lately...seems as if all the German car companies are having problems lately.

Good luck with your choice, whatever it may be!

Old 01-25-2004, 04:31 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Test drove the G35 6MT, liked it a lot. was going to buy it bright red!

test drove the TL 6MT, hmmmmm... tough choice.

Navi on the G35 is pretty bad resolution, no voice commands, no touch, no DVD-A 5.1, no Bluetooth phone, (sound system not too good), & more money...

made my list, slept that night, and got the answer!

I decided for the 04TL
- they just give you too many options for free, can't argue about that. On top of that you get 270 HP and a great gas mileage (33-35mph on hw for me) -

the TL it is! - I would have to be pretty dumb to pass it up!
Old 01-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Pro

Monte, your observation is pretty much how I felt (performance-wise). It felt about as quick as my 2k2 Max and definitely shifts better, which is OK as I dont necessarily need a sports sedan that's faster than my Max. It has enough of other features to justify a possible trade-up.

The cool thing about my Maxima is how hard I can accelerate/pull under 1/2 throttle. The TL only seemed to pulled hard @ WOT; but it felt a little bit stronger than my Max @ WOT. NOTE: On paper, my Max only has 8lb-ft torque more than the TL (246 vs 238) but, I really think the torque level is more like 265lb-ft not 246. That said, I experienced NO torque steer on the TL under a hard standing start launch. THAT I liked!!!

My 13 y/o son (bigtime enthusiast) and wife loved the TL but insisted that it wasnt as quick as my Maxima. Disclaimer: My son did feel that it was a matter of it being broken in before it gets a bit quicker.

I need a dyno graph on the new TL, to compare it to my Max. SteVTEC, R U around???
Old 01-25-2004, 09:58 AM
Pro

Originally posted by theslik1
I test drove the G35S and the A6 2.7T before buying my TL. I'm sure you know about the G's power delivery...torquey and smooth...but I could never warm up to the interior quality. The few extra inches of room in the TL make all the difference in comfort also. Still, it's a stiff competitor.
Though its hard to put my finger on it, the G's interior quality (like my Max) is bad (though probably not the best choise of plastics) but, the styling leaves something to be desired. However, my Maxima feels more "airy" in front than the TL thus, less cocoon-like than the TL.

My previous fave was the 2.7T, and I had high hopes of buying one. My two test drives (just to be sure) left me less than impressed with the uncomfortable interior and the so-so power delivery, and the typical European price premium is not justified. One point in its favor...if you get the 6MT a simple chip swap will get you anywhere from 300-320 hp with no other mods. The automatic reportedly can't handle the extra power if you mod it. Another consideration is Audi's spotty customer service reputation lately...seems as if all the German car companies are having problems lately..
I'd probably never get the A6 but, my wife saw one drive by as we were test driving the TL and remarked positively on its looks. Personally, I'd rather consider the 5 series but that's still a compact car (believe it or not) so, nothing doing there.

Good luck with your choice, whatever it may be!

Thank you and stay tuned......
Old 01-25-2004, 09:59 AM
Pro

Originally posted by NOX 3.2
Test drove the G35 6MT, liked it a lot. was going to buy it bright red!

test drove the TL 6MT, hmmmmm... tough choice.

Navi on the G35 is pretty bad resolution, no voice commands, no touch, no DVD-A 5.1, no Bluetooth phone, (sound system not too good), & more money...

made my list, slept that night, and got the answer!

I decided for the 04TL
- they just give you too many options for free, can't argue about that. On top of that you get 270 HP and a great gas mileage (33-35mph on hw for me) -

the TL it is! - I would have to be pretty dumb to pass it up!
How's the torque steer in the 6MT??
Old 01-25-2004, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Don't you get tired of the same old song, day in and day out?

We all know you love Lexus to the point of irrationality.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:57 PM
whut

The cool thing about my Maxima is how hard I can accelerate/pull under 1/2 throttle. The TL only seemed to pulled hard @ WOT; but it felt a little bit stronger than my Max @ WOT. NOTE: On paper, my Max only has 8lb-ft torque more than the TL (246 vs 238) but, I really think the torque level is more like 265lb-ft not 246. That said, I experienced NO torque steer on the TL under a hard standing start launch. THAT I liked!!!
The VQ35 has excellent grunt low to midrange and a nice, flat torque curve. That definitely gives a different feel to the power delivery. The TL's power starts to kick in about where the VQ trails off, so part throttle response isn't as dramatic. That can be good or bad depending on where you live and how you drive. I think the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times demonstrate that both engines get the job done! The VQ will be more boost friendly if going blown is a consideration.

I'd also like to add that the J32 loosens up quite nicely as it breaks in...you'll notice the change without a doubt.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:47 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

How's the torque steer in the 6MT??
the Acura 6MT has some Torque steer if you push it hard, but I learn to control it, by applying gas gradually and then pushing it when the car is straight.

the G35 is a rear-wheel drive, so torque steer is not an issue, but if you push it hard, it tends to wiggle its tail a little. Normal for this type of traction.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:45 AM
Cruisin'

Maxima's suck
Old 01-26-2004, 07:31 AM
Banned

I drove the G35 6spd sedan this weekend, and let me say that I was impressed. Even though the TL looks better and better interior, the G35 performance stand point is just much better. I think the G35 interior is fine. Especially if you get black. They did some changes to it, so it doesn't look as cheap.

G35 just got bumped up to 1st on my list before the TL now.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Pro

I'm going to try out both the G35S and I35 this weekend.

Though the I35 is pretty much the same as my Max, I KNOW I can bargain the price down to $30G even (w/Navi, XMS and rear spoiler)

But I am eager to experience the power delivery of the G35 vs my Maxima (RWD/260hp-260lb-ft vs FWD/255hp-246lb-ft).
Old 01-26-2004, 09:17 AM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Though the I35 is pretty much the same as my Max, I KNOW I can bargain the price down to $30G even (w/Navi, XMS and rear spoiler)

But I am eager to experience the power delivery of the G35 vs my Maxima (RWD/260hp-260lb-ft vs FWD/255hp-246lb-ft).
go over to G35Driver.com lots of comparos and some that have both cars. In alot of cases over their the auto G is putting down slightly slower times than the Max auto. I linked a post to it at Max org some time ago.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Banned

They are asking around $31k for G35S with 6spd, Sport, Prem, and Aero package. MSRP is 34k. I35s are going for 26-28.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Pro

Originally posted by TL_6SPD
I35s are going for 26-28.
That's what I'm counting on TL_6SPD; + $2k for Navi.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:07 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Monte TLS,MAX
go over to G35Driver.com lots of comparos and some that have both cars. In alot of cases over their the auto G is putting down slightly slower times than the Max auto. I linked a post to it at Max org some time ago.
I remember when you posted that on the Org. Since then, one of my friends (who has the S2000) had driven my car (2k2 Max), our our other friend's car (G35C auto - 280hp) and his mothers 2k4 TL. He also stated that my Maxima felt the quickest of all. Keyword: Felt (aka Butt Dyno)

In light of how the new TL felt during the test drive, I'm more inclined to compare it with the I35 rather than the G35S. The only drawback on the I35 is the torque steer that it WILL have (like my Max), which totally discourages hard launches.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:18 PM
Racer

I have a 1995 Maxima with 146K miles. It has been a wonderful car, and the best I've ever driven in the snow. I plan to buy 2004 TL in the next few months. I think the new Maxima is ugly, and the interior finish materials are even nastier. My husband has a 2003 RSX-X 6 speed, and I'll get a 2004 TL 5AT, so we'll only have Acuras.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:45 PM
Racer

I liked the gs a lot too. until I drove one. not much more comfort than a camry. yes thats right a CAMRY. plus its way over priced for what you get. the new gs looks better but its just a knockoff of the new 5 instead of the e class this time. and yes the stuff they add in the tl makes MSRP look like a steal relative to anything in its class. which includes the 530i by the way. and the 530i may be categorized as a smaller car but its quite large inside. but nearly as cheaply made as the g35 is. you have to give nissan credit for their comeback but obviously the money saved by them came on interiors and reusing the same engine so many times great as it is. the a6 is a nice looking ride but is not comfortable like most audis are not and has repair issues, bad resale, and the euro premium against it. TL all the way.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:18 PM
Pro

Originally posted by berlinrl
I have a 1995 Maxima with 146K miles. It has been a wonderful car, and the best I've ever driven in the snow. I plan to buy 2004 TL in the next few months. I think the new Maxima is ugly, and the interior finish materials are even nastier. My husband has a 2003 RSX-X 6 speed, and I'll get a 2004 TL 5AT, so we'll only have Acuras.
Maybe you guys should get the MDX and have an Acura trifecta.

But yeah!! The new Max is pretty ugly but, dont tell the 6G Maxima guys that (maxima.org); they get EXTREMELY defensive about their purchase.