Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Known Issues with '04 - '06 TL's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Major Known Issues with '04 - '06 TL's?

Hi all. I'm a newbie and have found a lot of great info on this site - thanks for all of that! I'm trying to decide between buying a TL and a Camry...I know, apples and oranges comparison. I have 2 small kids, so it's a what I'd like vs. what's most practical debate. Anyway, my question is this. What are the major known issues with the '04 - '06 TL's and what remedys has Acura stepped up to covering/extending warranties? Believe I read the transmission got the same 7Y / 100K extension as Honda, which I'm going through at the moment on the wife's '00 Odyssey - just made the warranty by a few weeks, thank goodness! In my Honda research, see that the '02 - '06's fell into the odometer class action settlement (www.odosettlementinfo.com, for those interested). Is there any other biggies I should be aware of? Tried searching the TSB's in this forum, but didn't see anything. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
Next time, post this in the general subforum of the 3G TL and / or Problems & Fixes .

Welcome to the board!

The transmission issue of the 3G has been GREATLY reduced since the 2G. Automatic transmission failure is pretty rare and the Manual has the infamous 3rd gear problem, which is easily fixed by the GM Synro fluid.

The only thing I can think of that makes the TL impractical is it's inability to fold down the rear seats. Everything else, this car is safe, it has class, and it has great aesthetics.

I own a 2004 Acura TL and it hasn't given me one mechanical issue. The odometer now reads 70,153 ...
Old 02-11-2008, 02:53 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
I can't think of a single MAJOR issue.

A few tranny's, esp in the '04, but nothing like the 2nd gen.

Some of the '07 TL-S's are pinging - not good; but no major failures reported yet.

Some (I think '07's) with rear damper replacements for a thump. TSB issued on this.

3rd gear issue in the MT's - easily remedied as mentioned. Acura has a new MT Fluid, but sounds like the GM fluid is still better.

Rattles - not a MAJOR problem but pretty common. TSB's on most of them.

'04 - '06 MT brakes (Brembo on the MT's only) wear quickly and some report warping rotors. Acura has new pads and rotors to improve this.

Really not much that's serious AND widespread. Besides the TL is MUCH better looking and better equipped than the Camry.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
What is this 3rd gear problem you folks speak of?
Because.. for some reason everytime I shift into and out of 3rd it sounds like I'm grinding the gear even if I shift normally. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:06 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a tire wear issue on the early 2004's. It had to due with pre-mature wear on the OEM tires. The REAL culprit was having the wrong bump stops installed and replacement of the bump stops is under warranty. There was also a Memory seat issue (re-programming it so that it would remember) and the headliner's falling down (adhesive) issues. All of these were simple fixes and all were resolved a good while back.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:42 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
nothing really major....the only one i remember 80% of the ppl had in the 04's was the headliner LOL....WOW that just like brought me back to the first few weeks i got the TL...

but generally

- rattles and vibrations here and there (not really a big problem, alot of them have been addressed and the most common one they can't fix is playing your music too loud and the vibration on the rear deck - though if you have kids i doubt that'll be a problem)

- headliner (apparenly the adhesive or velcro or w/e it is they used was weak and made it droop, i've yet to hear anyone complain about this ever again after the 04 model

- seat wear/discoloration - just noticed that over a sustained period of time the seat develops major crease lines from your butt

HFL - also addressed by acura, some people had really tough times with their blue tooth, but at this point i'm gonna just say it was more "lack of understanding technology" than the actual HFL unit not working properly

other than that, there's nothing else you'd have to worry about in an A/T 3rd Gen TL
Old 02-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
if you want a good car, go with the 05 or 06 TL, prefeably the 06 as it has the TPMS system unlike the 05.

The 04 TL's had a couple of issues that were addressed in the 05+ TL's.

Heavy vibrations at 55 MPH, this was fixed on 04's by installing a damper on the engine, it helps alot, but is still present. Now this damper comes standard on all TL's.

The leather, Acura leather is really good, but it does wear easily. You need to take care of it by cleaning and conditioning it. The 04's had one line of stitching on all the seats. This made it prone to stretching and forming butt-prints in the seat. This was fixed on the 05+ TL's. The 07+ TL-S has the best seat configuration as it is stitched in many more places.

Rattles, this is common with all TL's. They are easily fixed by yourself or the dealer. The 07+ TL's are the best at not having rattles as the factory changed the designs and added a few things to curb rattles.

The TL is a very nice car, but what year camry are you comparing it to? If a new camry, I would suggest you look at the new 08 Honda accord and it's competitors.

PS if you get the TL, get the one with navigation system. Although it may seem useless to you, but it comes in handy alot and also it can be hacked/modded so you can watch movies on the screen.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 PM
10th Gear

Thanks all for the info - was certainly helpful to narrow down my choices.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Your thread is being moved from the Performance Parts & Modifications subforum into the main 3GTL forum. Please read the rules before posting in this subforum. The rules can be found here: https://acurazine.com/forums/announc...nouncementid=7

BTW- welcome to the forums and good luck in whatever decision you make.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
The biggest bug that you will have a problem with is the ..............mod bug!
but thats something you get, not the car
Old 02-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Some manuals have had trouble with the clutch failing prematurely, as in 10k or so miles, even with experienced manual trans drivers. It's a $3k repair. Some folks have had this happen 2-3x.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
if you want a good car, go with the 05 or 06 TL, prefeably the 06 as it has the TPMS system unlike the 05.

The 04 TL's had a couple of issues that were addressed in the 05+ TL's.

Heavy vibrations at 55 MPH, this was fixed on 04's by installing a damper on the engine, it helps alot, but is still present. Now this damper comes standard on all TL's.

The leather, Acura leather is really good, but it does wear easily. You need to take care of it by cleaning and conditioning it. The 04's had one line of stitching on all the seats. This made it prone to stretching and forming butt-prints in the seat. This was fixed on the 05+ TL's. The 07+ TL-S has the best seat configuration as it is stitched in many more places.

Rattles, this is common with all TL's. They are easily fixed by yourself or the dealer. The 07+ TL's are the best at not having rattles as the factory changed the designs and added a few things to curb rattles.

The TL is a very nice car, but what year camry are you comparing it to? If a new camry, I would suggest you look at the new 08 Honda accord and it's competitors.

PS if you get the TL, get the one with navigation system. Although it may seem useless to you, but it comes in handy alot and also it can be hacked/modded so you can watch movies on the screen.

im new here but i get those vibrations too at that speed, where can i get the dampers?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by fluxcapacitor3000
im new here but i get those vibrations too at that speed, where can i get the dampers?
do you have an 04 TL? If not, its already there. If yes, then you have to go to the dealer, there is a TSB for it.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Instructor

i have an 05, and what is TSB im new here
Old 02-13-2008, 12:40 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin.

It's a heads up to Service Techs on known problems and fixes. Unlike a recall, Acura does need to notify owners of a TSB. Knowledge of existing TSB's is your best defense. There is list here, but I don't have the link saved on this PC.

TSB's are usually applicable to specific VIN range within a model.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:41 AM
03 TLS -> 06 Anth Navi MT

Bearcat94 beat me to it.

Service Bulletin... here's the link to TSB thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/who-wants-give-me-%245-129196/
Old 02-13-2008, 10:48 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Avoid the new Camry V6 like the plague! The transmission issues in that car are strikingly similar to the 2G TL and Toyota's been secretly buying those cars back in droves. In fact, the new Camry V6 is the 1st time Consumer Reports ever gave a Not Recommended rating to a Toyota.

Go to MSN Autos and read what owners are saying about the '07/8 Camry.
You'll be shocked !
Old 02-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Advanced

I have a low mile 04 that I had the engine damper tsb done. I had a drone around 55 mph and it is gone. Would not have noticed it without this board. I have a couple vibrations, one is the little doors in front of the shifter. if I leave it open, no noise. pretty good car that holds it value well. good luck
Old 02-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by o4Komodo
What is this 3rd gear problem you folks speak of?
Because.. for some reason everytime I shift into and out of 3rd it sounds like I'm grinding the gear even if I shift normally. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.
A number of members have reported problems when trying to engage 3rd gear, resulting in shifting difficulty, grinding, and/or popping out of gear. By far, the most common fix is replacing the transmission fluid with GMSFM (General Motors Synchromesh Friction Modified) transmission fluid. While this may seem like a band aid, it does work almost always.

I have never had any of these problems with my '04 manual, but I did replace my fluid with the GMSFM since the Honda stuff is not known for its quality. Do a search and you will find a boatload of information regarding this issue.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RobE
Thanks all for the info - was certainly helpful to narrow down my choices.

I love my SSM 04 TL and even though I had to get the transmission replaced at around 40K miles it's been one of the best cars I have ever owned. At nearly 4 years old it still looks great, still fun to drive and still gets the occasional look!

Keep up with the scheduled maintenance and it will serve you well.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
A number of members have reported problems when trying to engage 3rd gear, resulting in shifting difficulty, grinding, and/or popping out of gear. By far, the most common fix is replacing the transmission fluid with GMSFM (General Motors Synchromesh Friction Modified) transmission fluid. While this may seem like a band aid, it does work almost always.

I have never had any of these problems with my '04 manual, but I did replace my fluid with the GMSFM since the Honda stuff is not known for its quality. Do a search and you will find a boatload of information regarding this issue.
So by the name of this "GMSFM" I'm assuming I can get it at any GM-associated dealership?
There's a Saturn/Chevrolet dealer by my house, were they associated with GM?
I don't know my domestics very well XD
Old 02-14-2008, 04:05 AM
Stop Drop and Roll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had my 06 tl for 2k miles now (bought it at 18k) and have had a few problems already.
1. Passenger front window wont roll up and i have to yank the window while pressing the button. Found a TSB for it and will get that fixed when i bring it in for an oil change
2. A few rattles, and have found TSB for those too. coming from the driver side ac vent and the glove compartment
3. Cd player broke. No one else has reported this issue so its just probably bad luck
4. Seats are starting to show some wear, but i just cleaned and conditioned with lexol so hopefully that will help

You cant go wrong on the TL, but of course 99.5% of the people here are biased. The TL has been a great car and im really happy to have it. Make sure you get nav, the interior layout doesnt look right without it. And in terms of looks, the TL has the camry beat from every possible angle.

I got mine used from a private seller for $26k w/18xxx miles. NBP, parchment, nav. hope that helps and good luck
Old 02-14-2008, 05:18 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by o4Komodo
So by the name of this "GMSFM" I'm assuming I can get it at any GM-associated dealership?
There's a Saturn/Chevrolet dealer by my house, were they associated with GM?
I don't know my domestics very well XD
As I'm at work, I don't have the part number handy but I think it's 12377916. I strongly suggest you do a search on the topic and get the right number. Do not just buy General Motors Manual transmission fluid. You want the "Synchromesh Friction Modified" stuff. But please do verify that part number since a lot of parts departments don't even know it exists.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Burning Brakes

I was also weighing the decision between the '07 TL-S and the Camry SE.
I had previously owned an '01 CL-S, and an '05 TL. The '05 was to be a trade.
I drove 144k with the '01, and 60k with the '05. Only issue in that time was the failure of the '01's transmssion as I was trading it. No problems with either one other than that. Rock solid.
You would be wise to test drive both.
The Camry doesn't feel as solid as the Acura. Not even close It is also very hard to find equivalent safety features such as VSA on the Camry. Toyota is having transmission problems on the 6 spd. auto. The TL-S is much higher cost of ownership, due to need of premium fuel and timing belt changes with the SOHC engine. Higher initial cost is a given. Toyota was more flexible in pricing than Acura was.

I ended up with the TL-S, and haven't regretted it. I drive about 40k/year, and plan on keeping this baby a long time.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
As I'm at work, I don't have the part number handy but I think it's 12377916. I strongly suggest you do a search on the topic and get the right number. Do not just buy General Motors Manual transmission fluid. You want the "Synchromesh Friction Modified" stuff. But please do verify that part number since a lot of parts departments don't even know it exists.

Thanks a lot. Going to search it further in the forums!
Hope that stupid grinding goes away. So annoying.