Sponsored by:

Magnetic + Quick Drain oil pan bolt / plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 12:36 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnetic + Quick Drain oil pan bolt / plug

My old Honda tranny had a magnetic drain bolt. I also put a quick-drain on my oil pan to keep from buying crush washers and avoid stripping the threads on the oil pan.

Does anyone make a quick drain oil plug that has magnetic properties?

I'm about to do my first oil change and would really like to find something like this

Also, FYI if you haven't seen it, here's Road Rage's thread on the quick drain. I had a FRAM one on my Honda, but the same concept. Very useful little piece of hardware! highly recommended.
Quick Drain Valve
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...ht=rr+journals
Old 09-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
I do not know of one that has both - I am trying to imagine how such a thing could be constructed, as thedrain needs to have a hollow center, no?

Here is a good source for magnetic drain plugs - they really do not do anything practical other than let you do "tattle-tale" examination looking for large chards, which are just harbingers of bad news down the road.

They also sell the gaskets I like - hard steel ones with rubber inserts that u can use over and over. These guys have excellent prices and ship fast. I buy them for my customers who chew gum - I mean think a lot of those maggies. I do not.

http://www.magneticdrainplugs.com/metric.htm
Old 09-24-2004, 06:35 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Rage
I do not know of one that has both - I am trying to imagine how such a thing could be constructed, as thedrain needs to have a hollow center, no?
I see where you're coming from. My FRAM quick-drain had a cap that screwed onto the drain. The drain had a spring in it, the cap had a pin. When you screwed the cap on, the pin compressed the spring, closing the valve. Remove cap, valve open. I was thinking that this cap, could be magnetized, but then the valve would block it.....hmmmm....I thought I had a good point nevermind

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Here is a good source for magnetic drain plugs - they really do not do anything practical other than let you do "tattle-tale" examination looking for large chards, which are just harbingers of bad news down the road.

They also sell the gaskets I like - hard steel ones with rubber inserts that u can use over and over. These guys have excellent prices and ship fast.
Hmmm....I'd like to do this, but it's not as important as the quick-drain.....I'll definitely get one for the tranny if it doesn't have one from the factory (my Accord did).