Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into gettin a TL..

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:59 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking into gettin a TL..

I currently own an 04 Evo VII and I am looking to get another car instead. One of the few cars I really like is the newer model 04+ Acura TL's. If I sway away from the sedan route, I was also thinking about an s2000 as well. As of right now I am just trying to sell my car and get another one soon and the TL is definitely on top of list. You all can help persuade me into getting a TL instead and also could somebody inform me on things I might want to know about the TL before purchasing, such as a drawback or problems I might have in the future if there are any. Thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 03:54 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Compared to Evo's and S2K's, the 3G TL will definitely be a big leap in the luxury area. The interior is definitely an upgrade when compared to those two cars. I can give you some drawbacks for the 3G: (1)FWD, (2)2nd to 3rd gear engagement issues (6MT), (3)Various rattles inside the cabin.

You definitely don't have the straight performance potential with the 3G TL as you do with either the Evo or S2K, but it does give you a fair balance between performance and luxury. Personally, the luxury offered in the TL is enough to sway me away from the performance and poor interiors of both the Evo and the S2K.

Btw, there is a member on this forum, sixsixfour, who came from the Evo community. Maybe he can give you some specific observations and opinions?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:58 AM
Advanced

I think there was someone looking to sell thier TL and buy an Evo. Ill look for the thread, but a trade may be possible...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...16#post4554616
Old 01-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Instructor

I have never owned an evo however I did own an s2k for awhile. I can tell you it's truly just personal opinion on what you want. No one here can really persuade you or direct you on what you should do. In my personal opinion I had the s2k for awhile, it has no room obviouslly, sucked in bad weather i.e snow for me when I drive to NJ, and just all around sucked for my personal needs. I traded it bought a civic, regret that decision because I am not the individual to just drive a civic, I like fun cars. Now I have the TL and am quite content and happy with my final decision. I know I will be holding on to this car for a while because I get a good in between from all worlds, luxury, sport, performance. A draw back is FWD but its pracitical for the climates I have to deal with. But hey this is just my personal opinion for what I need. In the end it comes down to what you need, so no one else can really persuade you on a wise decision. Just evaluate your needs and wants and find a good in between.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Pro

I would look for an 05+ if I were you. Like any first year of a new design the 04 had some issues that needed to be worked out. For example bluetooth module, excessive tire wear/suspension geometry, front leather seats. All of those problems can be fixed for free by the dealer but it can be a hassle. That being said I have an 04 and love it but just wanted to make you aware. The 3rd gear on the 6MT problem mentioned above only affects some cars. My 6MT has never once had a problem. Everyone who has that issue solves it with GM Synchromesh that is Friction Modified.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Fight On!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to step up in luxury give the TL a look. It's a sweet ride.
Have you considered the '09 Lancer Ralliart? It's detuned from the new Evo X but looks like it's going to be a a steal if your not lookin' to spend in the low $30s for the TL.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:21 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for all the replies everybody. I just put my car up for sale on a few forums online. Perhaps I can start getting feedback on buyers for my car and sell it soon enough. I test drove a used 06 TL today and man the interior is so nice and it feels so comfortable. I mean the car did have some power for a mid luxury vehicle and I was quite happy with the response. Though, it's not as fast as my evo, the inside much more quite when I do wanna punch it, don't hear that loud growl or turbo spooling sound like my evo. The price was a bit outta my range so I might look for an 05 instead. By the way, is there a for sale area in the forums where I can search for people selling their cars? If so, I can't seem to find it. I'm a newb to this site lol.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:41 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Evomaniac
Thanks for all the replies everybody. I just put my car up for sale on a few forums online. Perhaps I can start getting feedback on buyers for my car and sell it soon enough. I test drove a used 06 TL today and man the interior is so nice and it feels so comfortable. I mean the car did have some power for a mid luxury vehicle and I was quite happy with the response. Though, it's not as fast as my evo, the inside much more quite when I do wanna punch it, don't hear that loud growl or turbo spooling sound like my evo. The price was a bit outta my range so I might look for an 05 instead. By the way, is there a for sale area in the forums where I can search for people selling their cars? If so, I can't seem to find it. I'm a newb to this site lol.
Click on the link above that says "Acura TL Community". Once you do that, you will come to a screen on which, if you scroll down, will show you a section called "Off Topic Communities". In that section, you will find the "Black Market". It is here that you can find things for sale, or post things to sell.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:29 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
did u drive an 06 a/t or m/t?? and welcome to the forums.. I can gaurantee you will like this car, lol. I know of an owner of an EVO who said his dream car is still the TL. (he owns a evo IX MR)... Amazing to hear that. lol.. def get a 6-spd if u are a speed fanatic.. Although it will never match the performance of your Evo, it's still one amazing sedan. Give this car a chance.. u will not regret it, unless, u gotta lemon, lol...
Old 01-29-2008, 06:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
By the way, is there a for sale area in the forums where I can search for people selling their cars? .
https://acurazine.com/forums/non-automotive-motorcycle-sales-9/

Make sure you read the rules before participating in the Black Market. The rules can be found here: https://acurazine.com/forums/announc...ouncementid=10

Aso, if you look in the 3G Garage, you will find alot of info on the 05 TL. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:30 AM
7th Gear

Thanks. I finally found the 4 sale section and will remember to abide by the forum rules. The car I test drove was the a 6 speed manual. I want to get my hands on a type-s but they are a little bit outta my range. I might have to settle for the 05 non type-s version, if I can find one! It's so hard to find the non type-s version around where I stay. I might have to look out of the state for one.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:36 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by SQAcuraTL04
I have never owned an evo however I did own an s2k for awhile. I can tell you it's truly just personal opinion on what you want. No one here can really persuade you or direct you on what you should do. In my personal opinion I had the s2k for awhile, it has no room obviouslly, sucked in bad weather i.e snow for me when I drive to NJ, and just all around sucked for my personal needs. I traded it bought a civic, regret that decision because I am not the individual to just drive a civic, I like fun cars. Now I have the TL and am quite content and happy with my final decision. I know I will be holding on to this car for a while because I get a good in between from all worlds, luxury, sport, performance. A draw back is FWD but its pracitical for the climates I have to deal with. But hey this is just my personal opinion for what I need. In the end it comes down to what you need, so no one else can really persuade you on a wise decision. Just evaluate your needs and wants and find a good in between.

Thanks for the info. I just noticed your sig and saw Norfolk, VA. I stay in the 757 myself. The main reason why I was looking for a s2k was because a few of my friend's have the car and want me to get one as well. The only thing is that everybody around this area has a freakin s2k. Everywhere ya go there's always somebody with one lol. The car I really want is the TL since it's a bit more luxury, still has some pep to it and the interior is amazing! When I test drove one it handles awesome for a FWD and it has a lot of room just like my evo; well a little bit more space that is. However, if I cannot get the funds for a TL I might have to consider the s2k or another vehicle instead. I was wondering if there are any TL clubs or meets around here? If so, I would like to attend a meet one of these days to check our everybody's rides and see what they've got done to them.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:05 PM
9th Gear

I have an 04 Tl Auto RRP 56K

for sale / possibly trade

let me know

PM me if your interested
Old 01-31-2008, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the info. I just noticed your sig and saw Norfolk, VA. I stay in the 757 myself. The main reason why I was looking for a s2k was because a few of my friend's have the car and want me to get one as well. The only thing is that everybody around this area has a freakin s2k. Everywhere ya go there's always somebody with one lol. The car I really want is the TL since it's a bit more luxury, still has some pep to it and the interior is amazing! When I test drove one it handles awesome for a FWD and it has a lot of room just like my evo; well a little bit more space that is. However, if I cannot get the funds for a TL I might have to consider the s2k or another vehicle instead. I was wondering if there are any TL clubs or meets around here? If so, I would like to attend a meet one of these days to check our everybody's rides and see what they've got done to them.
That was another thing other than the shitty driveability of owning the car with my weekend commutes up north. When I was in Florida from the 850 there were hardly any s2ks down there. I don't think I saw any with the exception to like one or two in the half a year I had it. That was half the joy in owning it, that and no knew what it was or very little knew had any idea. I haven't heard anything about meets down here but I am quite curious to find out. I have nothing done to mine as I have only had it for a little over two weeks. I am very happy with this decision and in my opinion if it's what you want just wait, don't spend money on something because you can't get something else, because you may regret it later on. That's my incite though from personal experience.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 PM
7th Gear

Would any of you guys purchase a TL with a rebuild title if it was only damaged cosmetic wise and fixed back up?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Pro

Would any of you guys purchase a TL with a rebuild title if it was only damaged cosmetic wise and fixed back up?
Rebuilt title? NO. Cosmetic damage? Maybe. Just look and you will find the right TL where you won't need to make the decision.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Instructor

If you wanna learn more about the TL, read magazine articles and road test, lots good interesting info there, and also search through here, good luck, btw I have a TL for sale in my sig.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Instructor

If you wanna learn more about the TL, read magazine articles and road test, comparsions, lots good interesting info there, and also search through here, good luck, btw I have a TL for sale in my sig.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Instructor

If you want to learn more about the TL, read magazine articles and road test, comparsions, lots good interesting info there, and also search through here, good luck, btw I have a TL for sale in my sig.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:16 AM
7th Gear

After reading about cars with rebuilt titles, I'm gonna say no as well. My insurance wouldn't cover it 8-/
Old 02-01-2008, 07:33 PM
7th Gear

What is the max amount of mileage that you guys think would be okay for a used TL? I.E. an 05 with 40k miles ok? Or is that a bit too much?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Mileage is nothing to a TL, they will go 200-250k miles, and barely have any wear on the engine if properly maintianed.
I would rather have a car that was driven a lot each day than one that sat or drove short distances each day
The item of real concern is the transmission
You can buy extended warranty to 100k miles from dealers here on azine or other places that will give proper coverage
the trans is a $4000 replacement otherwise
Old 02-02-2008, 02:43 AM
Cruisin'

A rebuild title on one of these cars? As high as these cars are valued, you know how much damage it takes to total one out? Anyone trying to say it just had some cosmetic damage is giving you a line. It's just not worth you or your familys safety if it was repaired incorrectly. And if you ever want to sell or trade it off in the future, good luck.

Now if the car was 1500 or 2500, feasible it could have needed a fender, grill and headlight and be totalled out.

-Jeff
Old 02-03-2008, 12:15 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/southeast-318/%2A%2A-official-charlotte-area-chat-thread-%2A%2A-383653/

Check this out, if you can make the ride there you will want to go here, Accuratein has a supercharged and intercooled TL, you will most definitely want to check out his TL if you are serious about buying one.

Also here is the link to a meet in VA

https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazine-clubs-meets-15/nothern-va-membors-382712/