Looking to get a Salvage Title 2005 TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to get a Salvage Title 2005 TL

Hi everybody,

What better place to ask then here?

I'm in the market for a somewhat new car, but when I think about it, I'll probably be purchasing another one in the coming 3-5 years anyway. Taking that into mind, I was wondering if you guys would give me your opinions on this deal.

It's a 2005 Acura TL with Navigation, drives fine, however it's a salvage title. I'm in the process of trying to get more information on how much the actual original damage cost, but the most information I have at the moment is that the accident was on the driver side door. The car has been repaired fully at a repair shop.

That being said, I'll be taking a test drive of this car immediately after test driving an 2005 Acura TL used at a regular dealer, this I thought, would be the best way to test for any noises when I go through the drives.

The car has 45K miles on it, or maybe less, I can't remember at the moment, and the price range is somewhere from 12000 - 13500.

After my research, I thought this car throws about a 70 / 30 favor in me of buying it. Personally, I think it's a good deal, but again, the community probably knows better than I.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
fAiL... i would always think twice about salvage title cars... you say that you plan on getting another car in 3-5 years... do you plan on driving this one into the ground or selling it/trading it in... if so, you will get nothing for it being a salvage...
Old 05-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is absolutely no warranty that Acura will give you for a salvage title car. You are really taking a gamble if the car will break down on your in the near future. I think it is better paying a little more for a car that is accident free.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Instructor

happytang,

do you know wootang?
Old 05-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
There was a thread in Car Talk about why you shouldn't buy a salvage titled car...something to do with not being good in crash tests, I think. I'd link it, but I couldn't find it (search skills must be off this morning).
Old 05-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
A buddy of mine buys salvage titled cars all the time but he buys them before they are repaired. That way you know what was wrong and if the damage is something that could cause safety issues.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Cruisin'

Agree with these posts ^

If you are going to buy it do the following:

1. Be ABSOLUTELY certain about the damage and what was repaired
2. Do not expect to be able to sell the car easily or for very much - best to plan on keeping it forever
3. Make sure the work was done right by a reputable shop and get stuff in writing

I bought a Civic this way a couple years ago (a 2005 with very low miles) from a place that has been in the business of restoring and selling salvage cars for years. The work was top notch, there had been no airbag deployment or major unibody damage, and the car looked brand new. They also had a 30 day no questions gaurantee (that I used because the AC was making some noise - bad compressor that they replaced for free). I saved thousands and have a car that still runs like a champ, and I will keep it until it falls apart.

Also a good way to get a car to mod/race since you don't really care about keeping it in pristine condition.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by KN_TL
A buddy of mine buys salvage titled cars all the time but he buys them before they are repaired. That way you know what was wrong and if the damage is something that could cause safety issues.
I would definitely your buddy's footsteps on this. This is the best way to buy a salvaged title car. The main problem is the pricing. That kinda low price just shocks me and its hard to believe whether a small crash only occured or not. Verify with the dealer about the car's history.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Intermediate

Smile

I have bought and sold salvage for years. And I have never encountered any problem, because I buy them crashed, so I know the full extent of the damage. I only buy late model cars with minimal or no frame damage, and theft recoveries. I NEVER buy flood titles, no matter how good they look, bucause they are often money pits because of hidden electrical damage. I have had Mazda and Nissan honor warranty claims, but havent tried with Acura yet. I also have had good luck in selling them, though I only buy cars that are hot items on the market. You can expect good money from a sale if you buy a car in hot demand like out TL's, but don't expect a quick sale if you are selling a pedestrian, non-performance car.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Good stuff.

Well like I said I'm trying to get the previous crash information. I think if I could get some pictures of the actual crash, I might feel a little more justified in my purchase.

Regarding frame damage (if there was any) can I get this fixed pretty easily by bringing it to a shop and asking them to straighten the frame?

Also on another note, let's just forget the fact that I might be reselling it or keeping it in the near future. With that out, since resale value seems to be one of the major factors, how might the deal sound then?

Also, if you guys have heard of a non salvage clear title of a 2005 or above going for $15,000 or less, with less then 60K in mileage, then please say so, and I will wait it out until one of them pops up again. Otherwise, I don't know if I'll be able to pass this deal up.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would sooner buy a high mileage 04 then buy a salvaged 05. Is there any reason for not wanting an 04?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Mainly because I don't like high mileage cars. Have a little experience on that side.

I don't exactly mind getting an 04, but then my standards would be a little tighter, impossible even. I've been looking at previously sold cars, and at the moment what I'd be looking for seems a little impossible.

Here's a good polling question.

40K Miles Salvage Title (Repaired) 2005 Acura TL and let's just say that it passed inspection by a mechanic who is a friend. We'll put it at $14,000 in order to add any tiny necessary replacements.

Or a 90K miles 2004 Acura TL, clean title.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by happytang
...Regarding frame damage (if there was any) can I get this fixed pretty easily by bringing it to a shop and asking them to straighten the frame?
Salvage title car for buyer that doesn't know auto body work?

If you're still considering the car, pay both a good body shop and a good mechanic to check out the car before purchase.

With that said, if the frame is still bent after supposed "repairs," there is NO WAY I would touch that car except as a parts/scrap car.

Welcome to AZ!
Old 05-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the only way to find out if the ~frame~ is damaged is on a special rack- preferably with lasers- that body shops use to check for just such damage.
Have the car inspected by a professional in body repairs- not a general mechanic- thats 2nd person to look at it- after it passes body shop ok

Better have a ready supply of cash in the range of 5 grand to fix a TL on short notice-say the trans was damaged internally when the truck drove into the wheels and door and frame of the 05.....
Guess what a trans cost!!
If the OP were a known acura person- has had a TL for years and knows what goes wrong and what to look for- things would be different
If looking as first time acura owner for a crashed gen3---- you do the math~
As for warranty on salvage cars- there is none~~~
acura still covers safety recalls and warranty extension on seatbelts, but things like the trans are not covered once salvage.

You could end up with a car where the door was damaged when a truck came floating down the road.....
Old 05-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
If there is any frame or structural damage, I wouldn't consider it.

As well as someone else pointed out, flood damage is a bad thing too. In the past, the cars weren't so computer controlled. But anything remotely new is full of sensors and I/O that can be adversely affected by corroded contacts etc.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would never consider it. To much risk involved, if its $ that your worried about saving maybe you shouldn't be shopping in this class of vehicle
Old 05-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Hello, perhaps my post will help although we're talking about different model years. I'm more linking to it because of the steps I took.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180235
Old 05-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
If the car was totaled and the damage was "on the driver side door" as you stated, it was probably t-boned and there's bound to have been some significant frame damage. Furthermore, at a minimum, the side airbags probably deployed and there's a decent chance they weren't replaced because of the cost. Making a salvaged car look pretty isn't necessarily difficult and is a good way for unscrupulous shops to make a buck. Think about it. If they're selling it for $12K, it must have cost no more than $10K to fix (probably a lot less). So why would the insurance company have totaled a $22-24K car if it could be correctly repaired for $10K or less? They wouldn't.

But if you decide to ignore the advice here, at least do yourself a favor and check into salvage title registration through your state's DMV before you buy. Many require you to go through extra, and often expensive, hoops before allowing you to register one. Also check with your insurance company to see what their position is regarding insuring salvage title vehicle. Some won't insure them because of potential safety liability issues and others add a hefty surcharge.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Advanced

Ok an update to this thread.

I've secured this deal, please give me your opinions on this.

$16,400 Acura TL 2005 Clean Title, no accidents, regular maintenance, with Navigation, 53,000 miles. Still under Powertrain warranty.

Would this be considered a great deal or just a good deal?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:06 PM
7th Gear

$16,400 Seems kinda cheap for a reason..............

as far the salvage car....the only reason I think you are considering that car because its cheap..and you are being a mooch.... go to an Acura dealer...buy the car certified...
Old 05-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Race Director

$16,400 Acura TL 2005 Clean Title, no accidents, regular maintenance, with Navigation, 53,000 miles. Still under Powertrain warranty.

Thats a good deal I say jump on that. However I thought the powertrain warranty was up at 50K? Did they extend it?
Old 05-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts

I would say it is a "good" deal.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Advanced

Damn this good deal.

I was looking for a "great" deal, but I guess this will have to do for now.

The Powertrain is the extended one for up to 70k in miles.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:47 PM
4th Gear

for $16,400. I think its a good deal. I just had mine last month 2005 tl wdp for $26,000.00 with 16,000 miles on it, rear deck spoiler, cargo tray trunk, splash guard, sunroof wind deflector, windows tinted, weathertech mats included. So go for it.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Racer

Iunno, for 12 - 13 g's, I honestly think you can't go wrong?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:14 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Hi everybody,

What better place to ask then here?

I'm in the market for a somewhat new car, but when I think about it, I'll probably be purchasing another one in the coming 3-5 years anyway. Taking that into mind, I was wondering if you guys would give me your opinions on this deal.

It's a 2005 Acura TL with Navigation, drives fine, however it's a salvage title. I'm in the process of trying to get more information on how much the actual original damage cost, but the most information I have at the moment is that the accident was on the driver side door. The car has been repaired fully at a repair shop.

That being said, I'll be taking a test drive of this car immediately after test driving an 2005 Acura TL used at a regular dealer, this I thought, would be the best way to test for any noises when I go through the drives.

The car has 45K miles on it, or maybe less, I can't remember at the moment, and the price range is somewhere from 12000 - 13500.

After my research, I thought this car throws about a 70 / 30 favor in me of buying it. Personally, I think it's a good deal, but again, the community probably knows better than I.
The ONLY way you should even CONSIDER a salvaged vehicle is if you are older and wiser to what actually happens with those cars. The seller will ALWAYS say "It was only a minor issue and really should not have been salvaged" when in reality, it WAS SO badly damaged that "VIABLE repair DONE RIGHT" was not possible for the amount of damage. What that really means is that whoever DID repair it OBVIUOSLY cut corners in order to put it back on the street. As long as you KNOW that the car is STILL "damaged goods" and are willing to take the risk, go for it. The risk by the way extend beyond simply you taking your OWN life in your hands to also endangering others on the roads. If you DO get into an accident and are at fault and the other parties see that you have a salvage title, they have license to "go after you" with both barrels so you will need to have a good lawyer. Simply saying "I lost control" and letting insurance handle it isn't good enough with a salvage titled car, you are driving a KNOW faulty product. You KNOWLING endangered others INTENTIONALLY (by driving it), etc.

Many states won't even allow salvaged vehicles on the roads (i.e. will not license them). Often, insurance premiums are "un-obtainable" because it IS a salvage car so you might have to "self-insure". That is ESPECIALLY risky (see above). If you are not a certified mechanic YOURSELF, don't even think about it as you do not know where to look.

As a general rule, salvage is only worth 50% of the "street" value of a car. 2004s WITH NAVI are $20K so a salaveaged one is worth ...$10K (MAX)
Old 05-14-2008, 09:57 PM
2017 TLX TECH V6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great deal in my book, but I hope you had this car thoroughly inspected. This low price is suspect of hidden damage someplace.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:05 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dont look for a TL, buy a corolla
Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ggesq
I would say it is a "good" deal.
I would say "great" deal and agree with eaglegreen48. I would also be concerned why its that low of a price. Just remember that fact that it has a clean title DOES NOT mean the car has never been in an accident!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Advanced

Well, here's the current process I'm in for purchasing this car.

I'll be getting an inspection for the car first probably before any purchase is made. It'll either be done by Magoo or Carchex. Not only does this give me some piece of mind about what I'm buying...

After the initial inspection, if it checks out, I will then be purchasing another extended warranty that will cover the car for the next 2 years / 40,000 miles on top of whatever I might already have / get.

Finally, it'll be time to try to hack into the car GPS software. mWUHAHAHA
Old 05-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Racer

GO FOR IT! Looks like a good deal indeed. Is this from a showroom or some private listing...verify with carfax about accident records and etc.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 AM
Advanced

Yea I purchased an unlimited account for the next month since I was searching for cars. Whoever reads this thread is welcome to PM me some VIN's for inspection.

This carfax is completely clean, along with the regular scheduled maintenance reported every 6-12 months.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:40 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, here's the current process I'm in for purchasing this car.

I'll be getting an inspection for the car first probably before any purchase is made. It'll either be done by Magoo or Carchex. Not only does this give me some piece of mind about what I'm buying...

After the initial inspection, if it checks out, I will then be purchasing another extended warranty that will cover the car for the next 2 years / 40,000 miles on top of whatever I might already have / get.

Finally, it'll be time to try to hack into the car GPS software. mWUHAHAHA
Just a word of warning for you - Buy your TL from an actual Acura dealership, not a used car center! If there is a deal that is just too good to pass up on (vs. a dealership purchase), DO NOT rely on a Carfax.

I bought an Acura TSX from a used import dealer last September. It was at 40,000 miles and still under warranty. When I dropped it off at an Acura dealership to have some rattles and other minor issues worked on, the service manager called me and refused to work on the car. He said it had been involved in a fairly serious accident, despite the fact that the Carfax report I had paid for stated otherwise. On top of that, there was $2000 worth of suspension damage which they spotted while the car was up on the rack.

Of course, the place that I bought it from refused to take the car back or work with me on this. The proceeding battle was a nightmare as I tried to approach through several different angles (lemon law, local news, BBB, etc.). Strangely (and fortunately!) enough, I was involved in a serious accident about 2 weeks later and the car was totalled.

As for Carchex... beware. I have been on multiple forums where people regretted wasting their money, and/or relying on this service. Get a local mechanic with a trained eye to give the car a clean bill of health.

http://www.epinions.com/CarChex_Onli...splay_~reviews

http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchre...&Search=Search

In summary, Carfax is a always a good idea to see the general history of the car (# of owners, locations, etc.), but unless the vehicle had frame damage or there is something funky with the title, it can miss some major stuff. BUY FROM A DEALER!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:14 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by jeff442
Just a word of warning for you - Buy your TL from an actual Acura dealership, not a used car center! If there is a deal that is just too good to pass up on (vs. a dealership purchase), DO NOT rely on a Carfax.

I bought an Acura TSX from a used import dealer last September. It was at 40,000 miles and still under warranty. When I dropped it off at an Acura dealership to have some rattles and other minor issues worked on, the service manager called me and refused to work on the car. He said it had been involved in a fairly serious accident, despite the fact that the Carfax report I had paid for stated otherwise. On top of that, there was $2000 worth of suspension damage which they spotted while the car was up on the rack.

Of course, the place that I bought it from refused to take the car back or work with me on this. The proceeding battle was a nightmare as I tried to approach through several different angles (lemon law, local news, BBB, etc.). Strangely (and fortunately!) enough, I was involved in a serious accident about 2 weeks later and the car was totalled.

As for Carchex... beware. I have been on multiple forums where people regretted wasting their money, and/or relying on this service. Get a local mechanic with a trained eye to give the car a clean bill of health.

http://www.epinions.com/CarChex_Onli...splay_~reviews

http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchre...&Search=Search

In summary, Carfax is a always a good idea to see the general history of the car (# of owners, locations, etc.), but unless the vehicle had frame damage or there is something funky with the title, it can miss some major stuff. BUY FROM A DEALER!
Thanks for the helpful post! I did not originate this thread but I am sure everyone will find it helpful! I try to buy new but sometimes I'll go for used if its a good deal, I will definitely keep this in mind when shopping for my next car.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:19 PM
2011 BMW 335i

^^I did not originate this thread but thanks for the helpful post! I'm sure everyone will find it helpful! I try to buy new but sometimes I'll go for used if its a good deal, I will definitely keep this in mind when shopping for my next car.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Yea I purchased an unlimited account for the next month since I was searching for cars. Whoever reads this thread is welcome to PM me some VIN's for inspection.

This carfax is completely clean, along with the regular scheduled maintenance reported every 6-12 months.
I tried to pm you but it says you're not accepting pm's. My car was hit 6 months ago and I'd like to see if it shows up.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Advanced

I wonder what the minimum post count is for PM's.

I'll see if there's a setting I missed the user CP.

Yea, I do a lot of research before I waste any of my money. If anything I've probably decided to go with Magoo or SGS Automotive.

I'll be sure to take it in to a dealer when I do get it, since I have a return policy on the car.

I can only imagine how much of a help this thread will be to those looking to buy the same car. Watch that view count raise!

Edit: I've just changed so I can receive email from members. I'm only going to leave this on for about 5 days though. So feel free to send me that VIN.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Carfax only knows what it has been told by insurance company on accident claims filed-
so if cash/check (not- insurance company paid for repair) deal at the body shop- no report made to anyone!
The dealers often report every oil change, and the dmv registration helps you track the cars life history of what states it has lived, or moved across country after auction sale.
Acura 1-800-382-2238 x5 - tell them looking to buy a certain car- give them the VIN and they look up recalls and warranty things for you. Can also tell where car lived and when first purchsed -for time limits on warranty

A private shop will give an unbiased inspection- look underneath first for accident damage- then the brakes and shocks- the steering for front end rubs over parking curbs etc,
then the engine bay- where there is little to go wrong- look at the brake fluid condition to help know about possible contamination issues with calipers later.
Lift the carpet in trunk for clues to cars real condition and former use- full of sand or dirt?
well kept?- or specially detailed to hide abuse and neglect??
Thats things I look for on used car checkouts
Old 05-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Instructor

I wonder what the minimum post count is for PM's.

I'll see if there's a setting I missed the user CP.

Yea, I do a lot of research before I waste any of my money. If anything I've probably decided to go with Magoo or SGS Automotive.

I'll be sure to take it in to a dealer when I do get it, since I have a return policy on the car.

I can only imagine how much of a help this thread will be to those looking to buy the same car. Watch that view count raise!

Edit: I've just changed so I can receive email from members. I'm only going to leave this on for about 5 days though. So feel free to send me that VIN.
For whatever reason I can't email you either. Would you be willing to email me at thrlride at gmail.com and then I can get you the VIN?