Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LoJack Installation - a bit nervous!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 02:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LoJack Installation - a bit nervous!

Has anyone had LoJack installed in their 04/05 TL? I'm getting it put in tomorrow (not by the dealer, by LoJack themselves) and they're going to come to my work location and say they'll install it right there in the parking garage..

This makes me a bit nervous, since apparently I can't "supervise" the installation - this whole thing about nobody being able to know where the transmitter gets placed..

Has anyone had LoJack installed in their TL? How did the installation go? Any problems?

Thanks..
Old 05-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
It should not take a long time to install. Usually they first decide where to "hide" that device, and it would be 1-2-3 installation from their professional guy. I think the owner should have right to know where the device locates.

Where do you live? This device is supposed to work well in some major metro areas... do you choose the early warning system?
Old 05-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

I'm in the Washington DC area.. I did get the early warning system; lets me know if I get towed, I guess, also!

I guess with the car less than a week old and pretty much perfect - I'm a bit concerned that they might have to rip the interior apart (please, no!) or would induce rattles or scratch something..

Does anyone know -generally- where it's installed? I mean are we talking engine compartment or inside? Wondering if anyone has had any problems here with the lojack install.. Have heard some stuff about electronic gremlins showing up after an installation.. and especially in a car like ours that could be really troublesome.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Intermediate

Oh.. one other thing.. haven't found a coverage map anywhere?? Planning on a road trip next week (DC to Denver!) and would be curious to know where LoJack works.

They just called me actually.. Says a guy in a white van will show up and need to be left alone with my car for about an hour.. (chills!) Someone please tell me the install is quick, easy, and straightforward!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Relax...i Have lo jack early warning installed in my 04 tl. No problems so far. The dealer "installed it" .....they actually had a private shop do it. i am not sure where it is located.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Intermediate

I believe only LoJack does the install. I purchased through the dealer, but they scheduled the install with LoJack. It takes a matter of only a few minutes, the install was at my home. The installer wouldn't start until I was in the house. I don't mind this - it makes it harder for theives to disable if the location is unknown.

If it's any consolation, my insurance company revised the policy to a $0. deductible (for theft) once LoJack was installed.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much does it cost, and is there a monthly fee? If so, how much.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:25 PM
Intermediate

695 for the basic, 995 for the "early warning" which calls you if the car moves.. No monthly fee after that, and no fee for installation -- so keep that in mind when balking at the high initial cost..!
Old 05-20-2005, 01:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by crazymjb
How much does it cost, and is there a monthly fee? If so, how much.
No monthly fee. Although I think Lojack recommends an inspection after 2 years. I'm not sure of the charge for that.

Lojack came to my home and I happened to walk-up on the installer as he was putting my backseat back together.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Advanced

The good point about Lo-Jack is that every installer hides the transmitter in a different spot... They are very hard to find... A buddy of my had his 2002 Lightning almost completely apart, engine out, almost the entire interior.... we still didnt see it....
Old 05-20-2005, 03:11 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what exactly is lo-jack? it just tells you if ur car is being towed? or if its stolen?
Old 05-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by tcp100
695 for the basic, 995 for the "early warning" which calls you if the car moves.. No monthly fee after that, and no fee for installation -- so keep that in mind when balking at the high initial cost..!
And this is why LoJack is better than OnStar. I've seen many people compare the two, but they are NOT equal. Five years from now, you're $700-$1,000 is nothing but a memory versus still paying every month and having far eclipsed LoJack's one-time fee. Plus, the LoJack usually gets you a break on your insurance.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Wink If our Navi could have options (GPS tracking), it'd be great...

I'm in the Washington DC area.. I did get the early warning system; lets me know if I get towed, I guess, also!

I guess with the car less than a week old and pretty much perfect - I'm a bit concerned that they might have to rip the interior apart (please, no!) or would induce rattles or scratch something..

Does anyone know -generally- where it's installed? I mean are we talking engine compartment or inside? Wondering if anyone has had any problems here with the lojack install.. Have heard some stuff about electronic gremlins showing up after an installation.. and especially in a car like ours that could be really troublesome.
Friend of mine got the early warning system, too. And, it's working pretty good in NYC metro so far, good signal strength and response time. He continued to test his early warning monthly, driving without the fob, and the system dispatches the signal to all the recipients. Unfortunately, he puts my number there, and I have to play this with him. Usually, I could receive the notice less than 20-30 seconds.

The LoJack master tech came to my friend's garage to do the 3rd installation. The 1st installation by the Acura dealer failed to work properly due to the defective device and the "wrong" location. Acura dealer installed it somewhere in the back of the central console near the driver side.

He replaced the new device and put it back. Still it ain't working.

This master tech then came again to remove it and relocated to another location (my friend know) with the brand new device. Meanwhile, he mark the big X into his working sheet and said he will make sure no other Acura dealer would put the device over that location. They usually have 10-20 locations to hide the system depend on cars. Due to my frined got his TL in the first week of Oct. 2003, that master tech was kind of eager to check it out personally.

Bascially, this system won't work everywhere although the map of LoJack shows where it should work. We have many detailed discussion in this main forum in the past.

And, I'm wondering if the early warning will work when the car is towed. Doesn't it require to turn the ignition to trigger the system?
Old 05-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
what exactly is lo-jack? it just tells you if ur car is being towed? or if its stolen?
I think its website shows better stuff. Or you could listen to my BS here.

LoJack could send the signal as long as your battery is live. But, you have to report to Lojack Center and have cops driving lojack-seeker-equiped vehicles to track your car. Some cities or areas have the limited police vehicles with this type of device aboard. For exmaple, one of our members said, a few years ago Houston police only has 1 or 2 cars with this system.

LoJack Early Warning has the additional device on the car, which could sense whether or not the legit transmitter is on the car. If not, the device automatically sends the signal to the LoJack Center and page/phone you, you could set up 5+ voice lines or textmessage or email. But, you still have to report to the center if your car is gone.

?? I used to remember this early warning has its own backup battery, so if thieves cut off the power and cannot pinepoint where your LoJack locates, you will have some lucky time to get your car back. I guess.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Intermediate

Ok.. Got it installed.. took about 30 minutes.. and found out some more details..

The LoJack unit - regular AND early warning, has a back-up battery.. so even if they cut the battery, the LoJack will still transmit.

You don't have to report to the LoJack center -- filing a stolen vehicle report with the police will automatically trigger the system as in the areas where LoJack has coverage (22 states) their database is tied directly into the police VIN database.

The early warning system calls you if the car has been moved, but does not call the police -- it's up to you to do that.. so it can be used just as a notification that your car has been towed or someone else has moved it.

They usually say you can't watch the install; this guy let me watch, as I'm the car's owner and think I should be able to know where it is.. (I won't say where he put it though, of course!) The device is actually very small and inconspicuous -- he says they've gotten much smaller over the past few years, which is evidenced by looking at the thing.

Originally Posted by rets
I think its website shows better stuff. Or you could listen to my BS here.

LoJack could send the signal as long as your battery is live. But, you have to report to Lojack Center and have cops driving lojack-seeker-equiped vehicles to track your car. Some cities or areas have the limited police vehicles with this type of device aboard. For exmaple, one of our members said, a few years ago Houston police only has 1 or 2 cars with this system.

LoJack Early Warning has the additional device on the car, which could sense whether or not the legit transmitter is on the car. If not, the device automatically sends the signal to the LoJack Center and page/phone you, you could set up 5+ voice lines or textmessage or email. But, you still have to report to the center if your car is gone.

?? I used to remember this early warning has its own backup battery, so if thieves cut off the power and cannot pinepoint where your LoJack locates, you will have some lucky time to get your car back. I guess.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Ok.. Got it installed.. took about 30 minutes.. and found out some more details..

The LoJack unit - regular AND early warning, has a back-up battery.. so even if they cut the battery, the LoJack will still transmit.

You don't have to report to the LoJack center -- filing a stolen vehicle report with the police will automatically trigger the system as in the areas where LoJack has coverage (22 states) their database is tied directly into the police VIN database.

The early warning system calls you if the car has been moved, but does not call the police -- it's up to you to do that.. so it can be used just as a notification that your car has been towed or someone else has moved it.

They usually say you can't watch the install; this guy let me watch, as I'm the car's owner and think I should be able to know where it is.. (I won't say where he put it though, of course!) The device is actually very small and inconspicuous -- he says they've gotten much smaller over the past few years, which is evidenced by looking at the thing.
Thanks for keeping us informed.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Intermediate

Bad Developments.

Here's some more information.. and not good.

Everything was fine with my car, until I decided to try out the early warning - as they recommended.

I drove down to the corner restaurant without the keypass...

Well, on the way down, my trunk open light kept going on. Not good #1.

When I parked, the alarm kept going off!! VERY BAD! Not good #2!

The lojack system NEVER notified me. Not good #3.

My guess is that he tied into the trunk sensor line for the power supply, etc.

The problem is, I'm leaving for an 1800 mile road trip tomorrow!

Luckily, my dealer was open until midnight.. I didn't know how to remove the backseat, so I brought it by, and they were able to disconnect the unit.... Now I need to deal with Lojack to get someone competent out here to do this RIGHT, or say to heck with the whole thing..

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth.. I remember reading a similar experience on here, but I can't find it..

Question is... Do you folks think that's all that was probably wrong? (tying into the trunk sensor wire).. or do you think they could have damaged my TL!?!?
Old 05-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Dealer works until the midnight!? Good.

Here's some more information.. and not good.

Everything was fine with my car, until I decided to try out the early warning - as they recommended.

I drove down to the corner restaurant without the keypass...

Well, on the way down, my trunk open light kept going on. Not good #1.

When I parked, the alarm kept going off!! VERY BAD! Not good #2!

The lojack system NEVER notified me. Not good #3.

My guess is that he tied into the trunk sensor line for the power supply, etc.

The problem is, I'm leaving for an 1800 mile road trip tomorrow!

Luckily, my dealer was open until midnight.. I didn't know how to remove the backseat, so I brought it by, and they were able to disconnect the unit.... Now I need to deal with Lojack to get someone competent out here to do this RIGHT, or say to heck with the whole thing..

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth.. I remember reading a similar experience on here, but I can't find it..

Question is... Do you folks think that's all that was probably wrong? (tying into the trunk sensor wire).. or do you think they could have damaged my TL!?!?
Sorry to hear this. Sounds like the bad installation or bad device. My friend had the installation 3 times to make it perfect. I'd suggest you to relocate the device to somewhere else. Maybe somewhere in the front could be better.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Intermediate

Does anyone know if LoJack warranties their installs / devices? I called their customer care line and they said any issues would be between me and the installer.. that sounds weird, since it's a company installer.. Would like to know if anyone else had a problem and had it successfully resolved.. You said your friend had a problem -- did his cause electrical problems, or was it other?

Thanks for any info.. Odd that my fears kinda came true on this one.. Live and learn!

Originally Posted by rets
Sorry to hear this. Sounds like the bad installation or bad device. My friend had the installation 3 times to make it perfect. I'd suggest you to relocate the device to somewhere else. Maybe somewhere in the front could be better.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Does anyone know if LoJack warranties their installs / devices? I called their customer care line and they said any issues would be between me and the installer.. that sounds weird, since it's a company installer.. Would like to know if anyone else had a problem and had it successfully resolved.. You said your friend had a problem -- did his cause electrical problems, or was it other?

Thanks for any info.. Odd that my fears kinda came true on this one.. Live and learn!
The legit owner of LoJack should have teh whole book/package/manual/media about all the information, and the most important item is the little registration-like LoJack ID card, which states your VIN, ID, and date, etc. LoJack will service your car during the certain period of time (I guess it's 2 years) and you could purchase its extension if you want, and they will send the tech to do the service work for you as long as your car's system is installed by their dealers (car dealers or shops) or the direct tech guys from LoJack.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Who referred him to you? Dealer?

A few issues my friend had: (His car had no any issues as you experienced)
  1. installation: No early warning notificaiton/message while driving without fobs (done by Acura dealership)

2. installation: Solution: Replaced teh device by the new one.
    Still no message while driving without fobs (by the visiting tech)

3. installation: Solution: Relocate the device, and replace the antenna-like stuff??
    Working as it should (by the visiting tech)
Old 05-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Intermediate

This was done straight through the Lojack company, as my dealer doesn't do it themselves - they just call the LoJack folks themselves and they send someone out..

I've been reading through the book and they have a "recovery guarantee" but talk about charging $69 to have an "inspection" of the device every two years.. Don't think I'm going to pay for their mistake, considering the dealer charged me $50 to go in there and pull the wire...

I guess it all depends on the tech you get -- just like anything else..