3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loaner Cars - Do you have to fill up the gas after use? Mileage limit ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Loaner Cars - Do you have to fill up the gas after use? Mileage limit ?

I am having some easy things checked out on my 08 TLS and it's taken 2 days so far, maybe more. (Rattle in back suspension, FM Radio Reception, and Rear Bass Rattle)

Anyway, are you supposed to fill the gas back up to where you got the car ? ANNNND is there a mileage limit per day ?! I am supposed to take a trip tonight and didn't read the dumb agreement I signed Thanks
Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Depends on the contract with your specific dealer.
The following users liked this post:
CBP08TL (07-07-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Yes, you need to fill the gas back up to the level it was when you got it or they will charge you a ridiculous amount more than what you could have paid to fill it up yourself.

As far as mileage, I don't know of any limit...
Old 07-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I treat it like a rental and return it just like they gave it to me. The tech tells me to return it with the same amount of gas. Not sure what they do if you don't bring it back with same amount of gas, but they did have my credit card number (insurance, etc) - so they probably charge it.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by imj0257
Yes, you need to fill the gas back up to the level it was when you got it or they will charge you a ridiculous amount more than what you could have paid to fill it up yourself.

As far as mileage, I don't know of any limit...

^ +1 I returned my loaner 2 days ago.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:22 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
If this is a acura loaner car agreement the rules are written on the copy (yellow) they should have gave you. This should be kept with you-it gives you authorization to drive the car in case you get stopped.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
How about reading the agreement that you signed? If you don't have the agreement, go get a copy of it. If you can't do that- call the dealer and ask them.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:08 AM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had loaners from just two dealerships. Both always point out the fuel level and ask that I return it with the same to avoid being charged. Both have my sign a rental car-type agreement and ask for a credit card. One dealership gives you a 50 miles daily limit, which I personally think is a bit low. The other has never mentioned a mileage limit. I do understand as they don't want people piling tons of mileage on their loaners.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:21 AM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
OP, don't be so CHEAP! "There's no such thing as a free lunch!"
Old 07-07-2011, 10:59 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
bring back full or they charge you a lot to fill back up for you after your return it. my dealer, i believe, gives 150 mi/day...not sure how picky they are about the mileage though. your SA may have some say in terms of okaying overage if your car is in for service forever and you happen to commute a long way or you have a long trip. depends. never tried.

call your service advisor and ask if its going to be a problem (mileagewise).
Old 07-07-2011, 11:55 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
bring back full or they charge you a lot to fill back up for you after your return it. my dealer, i believe, gives 150 mi/day...not sure how picky they are about the mileage though. your SA may have some say in terms of okaying overage if your car is in for service forever and you happen to commute a long way or you have a long trip. depends. never tried.

call your service advisor and ask if its going to be a problem (mileagewise).
I know when I get a rental car while on vacation I make sure to fill it up before returning it. Never was told to do that with the numerous loaner cars I have had. I also do not have a limit on the mileage. I had a loaner car from a dealer near me and I asked about having to replace the fuel that I used. They told me I did not have to. I do take good care of the car-like I own it. Check with the dealer about their policy-
Old 07-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by RedsTL
I am having some easy things checked out on my 08 TLS and it's taken 2 days so far, maybe more. (Rattle in back suspension, FM Radio Reception, and Rear Bass Rattle)

Anyway, are you supposed to fill the gas back up to where you got the car ? ANNNND is there a mileage limit per day ?! I am supposed to take a trip tonight and didn't read the dumb agreement I signed Thanks
It depends on the dealer and the agreement you signed. 99% of the time you should be filling it up to where the gas was when you got it (or where it's notated on your paperwork).
Old 07-07-2011, 01:03 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I know when I get a rental car while on vacation I make sure to fill it up before returning it. Never was told to do that with the numerous loaner cars I have had. I also do not have a limit on the mileage. I had a loaner car from a dealer near me and I asked about having to replace the fuel that I used. They told me I did not have to. I do take good care of the car-like I own it. Check with the dealer about their policy-
mostly depends on the dealer. i know b/c of gas prices recently they dont' want to foot the bill nor take the time to have the porter drive over to the gas station to top it off. so essentially it gets treated like a rental. my dealer has me sign off on the gas fillup and mileage waiver. really there isn't much of an excuse to not fill up the tank esp if there is a gas station or 6 on the way back to the dealer (at least mine). however i know if that gas gauge is still sitting pretty on the "F" when i take it back...i won't bother topping it off.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:14 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
When I managed a loaner car fleet for Audi, I had this issue all the time. They didnt say anything about gas or mileage and about 75% would bring the car back bone dry on fuel and dirty. We would take note of a loaner cars condition and not offer a loaner for future visits or add the gas to their repair bill. I have never understood the thinking that the dealership should Pay for your gas. They have you by the balls interms of finding "new issues" yet you are trying to cheat them on gas.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I think the mileage thing clearly varies by dealer. When I lived in North Carolina, I took my 1986 Legend to Leith Acura in Cary and they gave me a loaner car and when I said I might have to make a trip to Charlotte for business they said it would be no problem to use the loaner car for that (as it turned out, I didn't have to make the trip). Charlotte was around 280 miles roundtrip from where I lived in Durham. Last month when I got a loaner car from Radley Acura in Northern Virginia they simply said not to take it out of Virginia, Maryland, or DC (although the small print merely says not to take it outside of the United States or Canada).
Old 07-07-2011, 04:26 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
additional: Even tho I never was told to refill the tank I usually do it but in the case of the local dealer I did not use very much gas. Still was almost full when I returned it. I have hand washed loaner cars before returning them and made sure the inside was clean of any papers, etc.
I never had to sign papers indicating how much gas or mileage. Guess over the years they know how I treat the loaner cars.

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 07-07-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:49 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by RedsTL

It completely depends on the dealership. My dealership gave me the car with 1/4 tank and asked me to return it with at least 1/4 tank. They said that always give out the car with at least 1/4 tank and just ask customers to put back in what they used. If I put in extra, the next guy would get to use it.

They also said that the loaner had an I-Pass (for tolls in the Chicago area) and that I did not have to worry about paying for tolls. They would cover it.

Last edited by jhumbo; 07-07-2011 at 06:53 PM.