Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Llumar paint protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 11:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Llumar paint protection

I have a buddy in vegas thinking of getting the clearbra and there is a few lexus and mercedes dealerships that swear by the llumar paint protection as opposed to the 3m clearbra. Has anyone heard anything of the llumar paint protection either good or bad. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:26 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've Llumar film on my TL. Got installed from Invisiguard. They use LLumar film manufactured by CPFilms, Inc. It has a lifetime warranty which covers covers cracking, peeling, bubling or turning yellow. You can send PM to Jeremy of invisiguard on this forum. Member ID "invisiguard".
Old 01-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my my Clearbra installed from invisiguard also and he uses Llumar PPF. Xpel and Rockblocker use 3M and all carry pretty much the same guarantee. Invisiguard's kits cover about 24 inches of the hood (approx half way up) as well as some other extra goodies such as the door edge guards and Light PF. Some of the other kits cover less than that and may cost you extra for the extended coverage. Rockblocker's headlight protection film is the thickest one I've seen and Chad is an official vendor http://www.rockblocker.com for this site. I recommend getting PPF if you want to keep your vehicle's front end clean. Best bet is to call around and ask questions about the product, cost and install. Or PM Chad or Jeremy.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:30 PM
G35 Freak

I have the 3M film on my car. It was installed 2 years ago. The film got all hazed looking. I brought it back to my installer that said that 3M has changed their film for this reason. He no longer uses 3M and has switched over to the Llumar since it is clearer and stands up to scratches a lot better than the 3M.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:40 PM
I slow down for COPS

Check out the MINI forum for some good comments on Llumar vs. 3M

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...t=29065&page=2

Makes a difference if you need to have it removed down the road, doesn't it?

3M made changes to their film to prevent yellowing, etc. Llumar is thinner, poor customer service if you have a problem. That is why we do not handle it.

Good luck and stay chip free.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:44 PM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Got my my Clearbra installed from invisiguard also and he uses Llumar PPF. Xpel and Rockblocker use 3M and all carry pretty much the same guarantee. Invisiguard's kits cover about 24 inches of the hood (approx half way up) as well as some other extra goodies such as the door edge guards and Light PF. Some of the other kits cover less than that and may cost you extra for the extended coverage. Rockblocker's headlight protection film is the thickest one I've seen and Chad is an official vendor http://www.rockblocker.com for this site. I recommend getting PPF if you want to keep your vehicle's front end clean. Best bet is to call around and ask questions about the product, cost and install. Or PM Chad or Jeremy.
the 40 mil light protection they are selling is not a urethane like the paint protection. urethane comes only up to 18 mil and will withstand more heat then the 40 mil PVC.

some of the lights generate too much heat for the PVC to handle it. the urethane film would be fine in the same conditions and will give you the same protection as thicker PVC.

take care.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mark 3M bra man
the 40 mil light protection they are selling is not a urethane like the paint protection. urethane comes only up to 18 mil and will withstand more heat then the 40 mil PVC.

some of the lights generate too much heat for the PVC to handle it. the urethane film would be fine in the same conditions and will give you the same protection as thicker PVC.

take care.
Mark, thanks for that tidbit of info concerning PVC and urethane film .... also a question on your previous post. Do you know of any independent consumer tests that was done on the different brands of PPF? I read the comments on the link you provided, and was curious if the same thing would happen with the 3M film if it was pulled off? I'm not implying one is better than the other, but rather the result if it should happen.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:01 AM
I slow down for COPS

Mark, thanks for that tidbit of info concerning PVC and urethane film .... also a question on your previous post. Do you know of any independent consumer tests that was done on the different brands of PPF? I read the comments on the link you provided, and was curious if the same thing would happen with the 3M film if it was pulled off? I'm not implying one is better than the other, but rather the result if it should happen.
No, I do not know of any independent tests done. Most I know of different reactions is from practice.

Llumar is a thiner film then 3M, so more likely to have that problem. I have removed 3M film after couple years on the car and had either no or few (2-4) chips come of with it. With the Llumar the guy had about 50 of them in an area 2x10 (as opposed to 2-4 on the entire bumper). Plus the fact that 3M has a clear coat gives it more hardness. I also removed an Avery film from a motor home few weeks ago and there were almost no chips, but the the glue stayed on the coach instead the film. A lot of clean up after the removal.

For information, the removal of the films was done because of the damage to the vehicles such as accidents, etc.

Hope that helps, Mark.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Safety Car

Thanks, Mark! I did read somewhere the Llumar film is 8mil same as 3M. Do you know what the actual thicknes is?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:47 PM
I slow down for COPS

Thanks, Mark! I did read somewhere the Llumar film is 8mil same as 3M. Do you know what the actual thicknes is?
It may sound like a joke, but 3M is 9 mil (advertised as 8 mil). Llumar claims to be 8 mil (also heard 4 and 6 mil), but take some samples and you will feel the difference. Llumar feels like food wrap. I have not seen any specifications on it on line or in their brochure.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Safety Car

Thanks again, Mark. Guess I'll have to do some digging to actually find the specs ..... be talkin' to you again.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:21 AM
Banned

I will say that I have used the LLumar film's first and second version. Out of the box for installation it looks good, but after six months it is already starting to shows signs of wear and tear. ie rock chips and discoloration. As a mnaufacturer and reseller of pre-cut kits we need to try everything out on the market to make sure that we are offering the best product for our customers.

LLumar has only been making ppf for a year now and it takes time to produce a good quality product and 3M has been making ppf for 12 years now with the ScotchGard brand.

Another note that is worth mentioning is LLumar and 3M only offer a 6 warranty for the film to converters or distributors not the consumer. I know that Jeremy (invisiguard) has stepped up like we do and offers a lifetime warrranty to the consumer. Not ALL installers or resellers offer this so make sure you know what you are getting dont assume because someone else posted what they thought to be true.

If LLumar can produce a good quality film for our purposes and our customers we will take another look at it again. There 3rd try I have heard first hand knowledge from several users and resellers that the film is very hard to work with so we will skip this version and wait for something better.

Hopefuly this helps you out with your search on info from LLumar. If you want a PPF kit I would highly recommend checking out our sale in "Off Topic" very good deals in there.

Have a great day

Chad
Old 01-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Safety Car

Chad, thanks for the update on the PPF. How'd your trip to Irvine go?
Old 06-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mark 3M bra man
It may sound like a joke, but 3M is 9 mil (advertised as 8 mil). Llumar claims to be 8 mil (also heard 4 and 6 mil), but take some samples and you will feel the difference. Llumar feels like food wrap. I have not seen any specifications on it on line or in their brochure.
Kinda funny how you guys are listening a 3m guy. Of course his product is better and protects better. But if you read other reviews, Llumar films hold up just as good and are just as thick as 3m and clear.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:57 AM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by Tunerman
Kinda funny how you guys are listening a 3m guy. Of course his product is better and protects better. But if you read other reviews, Llumar films hold up just as good and are just as thick as 3m and clear.
I am not a 3M employee. I have a choice in using a film, and my choice is 3M based on customer satisfaction, warranty claims, etc. I could as well use Llumar, but I chose not to because of those reasons.

Read Roadblocker's opinions, too. I am sure they could use LLumar as well, but they do not.

And for your information, Llumar is actually little clearer then 3M, but lucks in many other areas. So, there are areas that Llumar is better in.

Doesn't it make sense to listen to people who have a passion for cars like you do and at the same time specialize in that product. I am not trying to sell you anything, just offer opinions. Who would you rather listen to, someone who deals with the product or someone who is a baker. (Nothing wrong with a baker, I would ask them for an opionion on cakes, BECAUSE they make them).

Take care, Mark.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tunerman
Please provide links to other reviews and independent testing. The only test I've found can be found here.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Chief

Thanks for all the great information