Sponsored by:

Lip Spoiler Install Without New Spring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 10:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lip Spoiler Install Without New Spring?

Hi Guys,

I will be installing my lip spoiler tomorrow and am wondering if anyone here has done it without adding the new trunk spring with the yellow tape mark. I believe it is used to increase the tension so that the trunk will pop open with the added weight of the spoiler when you press the release button on the remote. I don't have the spring removal tool and know the dealer will probably charge an arm and a leg to have them put it in. Thanks for any advice anyone can offer me.

dsc888
Old 06-21-2004, 09:37 AM
What's a TL?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow...this is two days late, but I put in the decklid spoiler w/o the spring and found that the trunk actually closes easier...only drawback is that the trunk lid does not pop up as high when you hit the trunk open button on the key fob
Old 06-21-2004, 09:39 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I don't know if they changed the spring - is the dealer supposed to or do you have to ask for it as part of install? My trunk opens maybe a few inches. Closes easy.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess if the lip spoiler is not that heavy its okay. When I installed my regular spoiler and i popped the trunk, u cant even tell its open. It held it down. once i changed the springs, which SHOULD come with the spoiler when you get if off acura, it popped up a few inches and holds open better.

If that is an OEM acura part, it should of came with it. I am sure a lot of dealers try to skip out on that.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:01 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Mine definitley opens fine, but how high does it pop with the new spring? I'd actually prefer it to not shoot open or open real wide, but I know what you mean when it does not even look like it opened. My sisters old Transam had that problem. I do not see a real difference between before I had the lip and now with the lip. I suspect it is not that heavy. The wing is another story.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

I installed my lip spoiler without the spring and it is fine, I mean it doesn't pop open as high, but that doesn't matter to me, as long as it opens, and it wasn't worth the trouble of adding the new trunk spring.....
Old 06-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. I just did the install last night and you folks are right on the money. No spring change is needed. In fact, I barely noticed the difference before and after the spoiler. It still popped up only a few inches. So now, it's off to the bodykit.

dsc888
Old 06-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsc888
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. I just did the install last night and you folks are right on the money. No spring change is needed. In fact, I barely noticed the difference before and after the spoiler. It still popped up only a few inches. So now, it's off to the bodykit.

dsc888
This is off topic, but how did the installation go? I'm guessing that because of the size it goes on with double-sided tape? Any screws needed? How much did you get it for? Thanks.

Joe
Old 06-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by quake97
This is off topic, but how did the installation go? I'm guessing that because of the size it goes on with double-sided tape? Any screws needed? How much did you get it for? Thanks.

Joe
both screws and tape. dealer did mine.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by quake97

Joe
It went pretty well. The trickiest thing as making sure the the 2 drill holes you make in the trunk are perfectly centered. You need to find the center of the trunk and measure out 278mm to the left and right to get the drill points. You actually need to do it at two points along the trunk to ensure the holes are just right.

The install took about 1.5 hours all together. You can do it mostly yourself. An assistant is helpful but not necessary. It's held on via 2 screws with nuts and 3M double sided all weather tape. Prep work is very important which included cleaning the area with rubbing alcohol and touching up the bare metal you just drilled with paint. Any color will do since it's covered up.

I am very happy with the results. It's elegant yet sporty. One nice side effect of the lip spoiler is that now I can see where my trunk end on the inside rear view mirror. That helps with parallel parking at times.

And as an aside, I got on my front lip spoiler last night. It took more time since more drilling was needed...about 2.5 hours. It looks excellent. Hopefully I will get the entire kit on by the end of the week. Work consumes most of my time. Pix will come soon enough.

dsc888