Sponsored by:

Limited Slip Differential

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Limited Slip Differential

Fellow TL owners,

Does anyone know what type of limited slip differential we have in the 6MTs.
I've been trying to make my '04 TL 6MT HPT break loose in the rain and it seems as if only one wheel is spinning. Is this correct? Or should both wheels spin? Or is there some type of Torsen setup which limits the amount of spinning on the free wheel (tranferring torque to the gripping wheel) so that you don't loose the entire front end on a curve resulting in tremendous understeer?

TL-Rocket
Old 10-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Team NightHawk VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im not sure what kind of lsd the 6mt have...but the 5at has the vlsd because both wheel spin(at least thats what i think theyre called)
Old 10-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TL-Rocket
Fellow TL owners,

Does anyone know what type of limited slip differential we have in the 6MTs.
I've been trying to make my '04 TL 6MT HPT break loose in the rain and it seems as if only one wheel is spinning. Is this correct? Or should both wheels spin? Or is there some type of Torsen setup which limits the amount of spinning on the free wheel (tranferring torque to the gripping wheel) so that you don't loose the entire front end on a curve resulting in tremendous understeer?

TL-Rocket
I believe it has the helical limited slip differential, just like the one on my 2003 CL Type-S 6 speed. It is suppose to spin only the outer wheel when cornering. For some reason, my 2004 TL 6 speed doesn't drive as nicely and the torque steer is pretty severe. For my TL, I also get a big vibration from the front wheels and the engine bogs down when I try to punch the gas with traction control off. Still, I love them both.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought that the only traction the 5AT had was the traction control as provided by the anti-lock brakes... they'll pump on and off on the slipping wheel to control wheel spin. I do not think the 5AT has a LSD mechanism...
Old 10-25-2004, 10:27 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5AT doesn't have LSD.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Helical.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by amosliao
I believe it has the helical limited slip differential, just like the one on my 2003 CL Type-S 6 speed. It is suppose to spin only the outer wheel when cornering. For some reason, my 2004 TL 6 speed doesn't drive as nicely and the torque steer is pretty severe. For my TL, I also get a big vibration from the front wheels and the engine bogs down when I try to punch the gas with traction control off. Still, I love them both.
Your partially right. It is a helical type, but its function is as follows, In a conventional diff, if you unload a tire, it will spin and the other tire will just lay there dead. And LSD will detect that spinning and proportion tourque to the tire that isn't. In a curve the inside tire will unload and spin, the lsd will detect that and proportion torque to the outside tire, thus maintaining thrust throughoutt the arc. Our system is mechanical (dumb)in the RL its electronic(smart) and can thus propotion tourque in a more sophisticated fashion by sensing which way the car is going and which way you actually want it to go and proportion torque to the rear tires accordingly!
The torque steer issue everybody talks about is secondary to the LSD switching back and forth in a turn when both tires have lost traction, and its due to injudicious use of the TL's big power in a slippery or loose surface, Its disconcerting at first but once you know its there you learn to adjust your driving accordingly. I only elicited it when the car was brand new and all I wanted to do was to rev the puppy up to smoke tires and see what it could do. Its akin to driving a VIper and dropping the clutch and doing funny circles you were not expecting (though less fun). Once you know how to use the LSD appropriately it will gives you an amount of speed through corners and curves that only AWD cars can match.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth
The LSD on the 6-speed TL is a torque-sensing device that uses helical gears to "pre-emptively" send torque to the wheel with the most traction (up to a pre-set limit). Thus it doesn't need wheel spin to occur before the limited slip kicks in (like, for instance, a clutch type or viscous LSD). This makes it much more friendly for FWD cars (believe it or not).

Similar torque-sensing LDS are the Torsen (used by Audi, Mazda and many other AWD or RWD manufacturers) and Quaife (aftermarket supplier, primarily for FWD applications).

Unlike the ATTS, our LSD will function as a conventional differential (the outside wheel receives no more or less torque than an open diff car) until there is incipient wheelspin, and then will direct torque to the wheel that can use it (i.e. has traction). The ATTS can only send more torque to the outside wheel, even if it has less traction than the inside one, and thus doesn't function as a limted slip device.

.......In a worst case scenario, a torque sensing LSD can act as a completely open diff - think one wheel on glare ice or up in the air. It needs to sense SOME torque at each wheel in order to be effective. Those in the know can apply resistance (torque) to the spinning wheel by applying the brakes - a difficult proposition with three pedals. With traction control, the car will apply the brakes for you, and allow you a better chance to get going again.

Of course, this is only a benefit in very low traction conditions. For fast get-aways in the dry, most find it better to turn the traction control off, as it allows a little bit of wheel spin to get into the meat of the power band and no automatic throttle closure to spoil the fun.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=lsd
Old 10-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vtechbrain
Once you know how to use the LSD appropriately it will gives you an amount of speed through corners and curves that only AWD cars can match.
exactly.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
So how is this going up a snow/ice covered hill? For example it reads like if you stop on ice it it might take some getting used to the differential potentially shifting power from one wheel to another but ultimately it reads like you will have more traction.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shoot2Thrill
So how is this going up a snow/ice covered hill? For example it reads like if you stop on ice it it might take some getting used to the differential potentially shifting power from one wheel to another but ultimately it reads like you will have more traction.
Keep the traction control on and dont stop in the middle of the hill. If its too slippery you will just bog down (been there done that). In my experience The LSD doesn't a 4wd make. you will only get as far the traction or lack thereof of those 2 front wheels will get you. The LSD does not improve your traction in slick surfaces significantly, the traction control is more important in making the best of the available traction. On glare ice forget it nothing works, on those conditions The fact that the center gravity is low compared to a truck gives you a greater margin of safety. Up here you can have miles of glare ice on the highways, the first ones in the ditch are always the trucks and SUVs with 4wd since the owners have the wrong impression that 4WD makes up for a lack of surface friction (product of the lack of education and marketing for the gullible).