Legend vs. TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006 | 11:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jimstsx
I do have to note one thing on the TL that I was given as a loaner and I need TL owner's input for this one.

At just under 1K miles when I picked it up it sounded like the speakers were screwed. Upon further review it seems that the center speaker in the dash sounded blown.

Now, are the speakers sub-par or did someone just blow them by being a dumb ass?

That has confused me for a few weeks and since I won't be driving a TL in the near future I thought this would be a good time to ask.
It's more likely that another customer who had that loaner before you did did something that blew that speaker. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the front center speaker. Most of the problems, if any, have been with the subwoofer at the back.
Old 01-05-2006 | 12:13 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Originally Posted by Thai.95LCoupe
Thaks man.. It looks a LOT different now.. In a good way..
hey thai.95, if you're still around, any more pics of this bad boy?
Old 01-05-2006 | 12:50 AM
Marty_1999Acura3.2TL

YES!! More PIC's please!!!
Thai.95Lcoupe, thats a sweet ride.

Anyways,
I never had the chance to drive a legend but I own a Acura Vigor. The Vigor was an unbelievable car in it's time. It inspired the first generation TL(They used the exact same 2.5L engine and used similar interior components). The car definitely feels different compered to the second generation TL. I would just like to say, that I disagree comparing the Legend to the TL. In the other hand I enjoyed this thread. These cars (Legend and Vigor) where, and still are great cars. My car is 14 years old and I love it. You gotta love Acura for always being ahead of the game. Here is a picture of my 1992 Acura Vigor Ls. It's not as beautiful and clean as a legend but very similar.
Old 01-05-2006 | 12:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mar T
YES!! More PIC's please!!!
Thai.95Lcoupe, thats a sweet ride.

Anyways,
I never had the chance to drive a legend but I own a Acura Vigor. The Vigor was an unbelievable car in it's time. It inspired the first generation TL(They used the exact same 2.5L engine and used similar interior components). The car definitely feels different compered to the second generation TL. I would just like to say, that I disagree comparing the Legend to the TL. In the other hand I enjoyed this thread. These cars (Legend and Vigor) where, and still are great cars. My car is 14 years old and I love it. You gotta love Acura for always being ahead of the game. Here is a picture of my 1992 Acura Vigor Ls. It's not as beautiful and clean as a legend but very similar.
i see thai on a-legend.. def a sweet ride...
Old 01-05-2006 | 12:59 AM
Marty_1999Acura3.2TL

Crap, I forgot to resize the photo. Here u go.
Old 01-05-2006 | 01:03 AM
tehLEGOman

Here's a shot of my Legend. My cousin has now taken possession of it and is in the process of trickin out the interior.

This car is a tank.

Has the Greddy SP2 exhaust made for the 2 door legend...had it custom fit.

Old 01-05-2006 | 01:04 AM
tehLEGOman

^ ...and yes it was the type S version. haha.
Old 01-05-2006 | 01:12 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Not a Type-S badge! Hahaha

Old 01-05-2006 | 11:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
It's more likely that another customer who had that loaner before you did did something that blew that speaker. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the front center speaker. Most of the problems, if any, have been with the subwoofer at the back.

Glad to hear that it wasn't poor speaker quality. Too bad that some bone-head had to blow the speakers....probably trying to show off or something?!
Old 01-05-2006 | 08:13 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6

Not a Type-S badge! Hahaha

Thats even worse than the legend i saw with a 3.5 RL badge....
Old 01-07-2006 | 07:41 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Here ya go...(taken with my Sony Ericsson K750i, so it's not very sharp)...

WOW......that car looks exactly like my old Legend. I'd still be driving it except for an accident that basically totaled the car. It only had minor damage, but the insurance company decided to total the car rather than pay more in repairs than the blue book value of my car. I sure wish I still had that Legend. It was a GREAT car...and far better built than any of the new TL series that I've owned. I replaced the Legend with a 2002 TLS.....same color, but had problems with acid rain damage so I replaced that car with my current Acura, a '04 Anthracite TL. The '04 sure has more fancy electronic gadgets, but it's not built as solid as the Legend. The Legend Coupe was IMHO..the best looking Acura ever built.
Old 01-07-2006 | 12:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JetJock
WOW......that car looks exactly like my old Legend. I'd still be driving it except for an accident that basically totaled the car. It only had minor damage, but the insurance company decided to total the car rather than pay more in repairs than the blue book value of my car. I sure wish I still had that Legend. It was a GREAT car...and far better built than any of the new TL series that I've owned. I replaced the Legend with a 2002 TLS.....same color, but had problems with acid rain damage so I replaced that car with my current Acura, a '04 Anthracite TL. The '04 sure has more fancy electronic gadgets, but it's not built as solid as the Legend. The Legend Coupe was IMHO..the best looking Acura ever built.
Yeah, the Legend's lines have a certain timeless elegance about it. Let's hope the TL fares as well over the years.
Old 01-07-2006 | 07:26 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

I love the Legend, and I also love my 1st gen TL. 200 000km and no major issues (cracked C/V joints were the only 1 thing that went wrong).
Old 01-10-2006 | 10:28 AM
Instructor

It's funny, but when I look back at the days of the Legend compared to the Acura's of today, it feels as if they are a whole different brand all together. I know back then rappers were rapping about rolling in Legends and Benz'es, but these days you sure don't hear them rapping about the TL.

Is Honda really trying to separate their luxury brand from their standard lineup? Because if so all they really need to do is up the price IMO. That's what it all boils down to in the end, being able to afford what others can't.
Old 01-10-2006 | 01:05 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Well, not exactly. Although the top of the line Legend (at $45k in 95) was much more expensive than the TL (at $35k in 05), it was also a BIGGER body car on the outside which made it appear more similar in size to larger Mercedes & BMWs. I think the "big body" size and look, as well as the luxurious and comfortable interior made it look similar (or better!!) than European luxury cars of that era.

Today's TL is all different animal, aiming more at a futuristic-sport-performance-high technology appearance that is actually much more luxurious/comfortable/expensive feeling than it appears to the eye.

Love the TL. Loved the Legend.

Prior vehicles:
2002 BMW 5-Series (2001-2004)
1993 Acura Legend Sedan (Black/Black/loaded/Eibach/18s) (1997-2001)
Old 04-06-2006 | 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Here's My Legend -- How's the TL to drive?

I've got this here '95 Legend L that I've been thinking about replacing with a new TL. Technology aside, how is living with the TL on a daily basis? Things like driver comfort, handling, and "fun-to-drive" aspects.

It's hard to think about a new car when I see all these comments about the Legend. I tend to keep the miles pretty low and get sentimental about "last-of-their-kind" machines like the Legend in the US.

Thanks.
Rob144
Old 04-06-2006 | 03:44 PM
Way Fast Whitey

After reading this I want a Legend too. LOL
Old 04-06-2006 | 04:20 PM
Intermediate

My first car out of college and the first car where I really felt like I got exactly what I wanted was a cedar grey 91 Legend Coupe. Got it in 96 and all my friends were amazed at how tight the fit and finish was for a 5 year old car. Had it for over 4 trouble free years.
The Legend was and still is a great looking car.
Old 04-06-2006 | 05:35 PM
Ur Mutha She Stinks!!

i didnt know there were so many legend owners in here. i am myself an owner of a now totaled Legend 1992 Legend GS. Black on Black with 15% tints all around. that car is simply amazing. it was in a wreck 2 weeks ago and now i have a 2003 TL Type-S i will never leave Acura for any reason it has savedmy life twice already.
Old 04-06-2006 | 07:48 PM
Team Abyss Blue Pearl

I once thought an American made 'overseas' car was not as good as one built in the home country. I bought a VW Passat for that reason (it was made in Germany) - but alsa it was a piece of crap. I find my 05 TL - just about perfect - and wonder how I could be driving such a plush/sporty ride everyday I'm in it. Long story short - if you like it buy it.
Old 04-06-2006 | 09:42 PM
7th Gear

Just Said Goodbye to my '93 Legend

Two weeks ago I said goodbye to my '93 Legend, bought new in Sep 93. I replaced it with a new TL. The Legend was a great car (175K on the clock when it left my driveway) but the TL is much more sporty. The Legend felt like a big car. OK handling but not one to inspire clipping the apex. It did have a solid feel that the TL just can't match. Don't get me wrong, the TL is soid, but the Legend just felt like it would run forever. And it probably will.
Old 04-09-2006 | 11:04 AM
Instructor

I simply had to respond to this one and I will take you all waaay back. It was at the 1986 LA autoshow that I saw the newly introduced Legend. I simply could not believe what a bargain it was-priced at $16k loaded! In those days you just did not see a complete package like this. Just had to have that one and bought one immediately. Ofcourse it had a 2.5 6cylinder with about 170 hp and it was no sport sedan but it was rock solid. Interestingly the transmission went out at 70K, a weak link even then! Luckily I had taken out an extended warranty since I felt that a brand new car probably would have some hickups its first year. That was a $2000 repair.Well, otherwise this Legend was a rock-accumulated 225K miles from 86-99. Nothing ever really broke, just replaced wear items like timing belt-85K, brake pads, rotors,shocks at 170K. .Body, engine, suspension was perfect, no dings, great paint, interior good but decided to sell in 99. The KBB had it valued at $3-4K.We got a few insulting offers because of the high milage, and some tire kickers, which infuriated my wife so much that she decided to donate it!!!!! When we arrived at the donation place we were mobbed by people who were there for other car auctions- who knew we were about to give it away. They offered us good, cold cash but my wife would not budge! So it was with sadness that I saw a perfectly maintained, shiny, strong running car go to a new home. It was for a good cause. Unfortunately we were contacted a week later by an insurance co that the car had been in a big wreck! Seems that the paper work had not totally caught up and we were still listed as legal owners. Had to clear this up but still a sad ending after giving this Legend TLC all those years!!
Old 04-11-2006 | 12:31 AM
Instructor

I though the Legend was replaced by the RL and the Vigor was replaced by the TL. So shouldn't the legend be compared to the RL and not the TL.
Old 05-13-2006 | 07:20 PM
Cruisin'

Had a 1992 Acura Legend 4dr, Gold with tan leather, and I honestly miss it to this day. The car was a beast on the highway, handled like a dream, always got looks when clean and was comfortable. All Legends were ahead of their time, too bad the new RL doesn't take more resemblence to the Legend.
Old 05-14-2006 | 12:50 AM
10th Gear

Come on. You really can't knock the Legend . It is a classic. I previously owned a 94, 6-speed, Legend coupe. I loved that care and that body style still looks good today, if it is in good condition. It is the car that really put AcurA on the map. I would have probably still have mine now if I didn't promise to give it to my nephew when I bought my TL.