Leedogg's 3g parking guide

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 03:38 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Leedogg's 3g parking guide

That's right, this is for 3g TL's only

Parking guide fundamentals:
1. Try to park in a spot far away from anybody and everybody. Drop passengers off before you do so.
2. If you MUST park next to people, at least try to park in a manner where the driver side door of the vehicles that will be parking next to you (VPNs) will not open into your car.
3. Try to park where there can be 0 or only one VPN - End spot, next to handicap spot or next to a column + (rule 2)
4. Park somewhere not heavily trafficked/visible - I learned this the hard way when the trunk of my car was keyed a week ago in a garage when I only observed rule 2 & 3.
5. Be extra cautious if you're parking in a city like Pittsburgh who is a football rival of a team in your state such as Baltimore.
6. Avoid parking next to coupes (extra long doors)
7. Avoid parking near shopping cart stalls and any shopping carts (collect them if necessary)
8. Park next to vehicles nicer than yours.
9. IMO it is better to park next to a vehicle already parked so you can determine the distance away from them than to allow the VPN to determine that distance after you park.

Feel free to list any more suggestions.

Last edited by leedogg; 02-20-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:20 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 02-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
Wow, EVERY single one of those points, I adhere to. I love corner spots and adjacent handicap spots (although most handicapped people are elders who do not give a shit about the cars next to them).

One thing you forgot, is when you park in the city, park as the first or last car on the block, or the 2ND to first or 2ND to last car, since the first car will have no where to go except forward (no reversing) and the last car will have no where to go except reverse then forward. Never park in the middle.

If you're parking in front of a meter, again, park as the first, 2nd to first, or last, or 2nd to last.

Another ridiculous thing I do is if the spot I parked in is susceptible to getting hit, get the license plate of the vehicle close to you so that when you come back to your car and that vehicle left, and you discover a mark, you have his #s!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
^I do that license plate thing too. I do all of the following when I'm parking as well.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

I wish this thread had been posted 12 hours earlier to make me more paranoid.

As a result, I went this morning to my car and saw a scratch from someone's door that traversed the entire width of my driver's side door pillar (for both the front and rear doors) all the way through the clearcoat and down to the paint. Even chipped some paint off. Clearly from someone dumbass passenger not knowing how to open doors without slamming them wide open.

Awesome. There will be blood.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:04 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Very good but you forgot...

10. Take note of the pitch of the lot. Park on "high ground" whenever possible since rogue carts don't go uphill.
11. When you must park in a low spot use curbs and islands to block the path of rogue carts.
12. When the lot is really full park where the employees of the place park (assuming you are going to somewhere other than your place of work). The turnover in those spots is low so it's likely the same cars will be next to you later when you come back.

Yes...It is a sickness. I really need to get some POS for my next car so I don't burn so much anxiety over these things.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:26 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
13. Do NOT Park. Bring freinds, relatives, SO's with you and have them do the shopping or whatever, while you slowly cruise the parking lot.

14. If unable to do #13, go ahead and park, BUT either you, a freind, relative or SO stay in with the vehicle.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:14 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by bforbrian
Wow, EVERY single one of those points, I adhere to. I love corner spots and adjacent handicap spots (although most handicapped people are elders who do not give a shit about the cars next to them).

One thing you forgot, is when you park in the city, park as the first or last car on the block, or the 2ND to first or 2ND to last car, since the first car will have no where to go except forward (no reversing) and the last car will have no where to go except reverse then forward. Never park in the middle.

If you're parking in front of a meter, again, park as the first, 2nd to first, or last, or 2nd to last.

Another ridiculous thing I do is if the spot I parked in is susceptible to getting hit, get the license plate of the vehicle close to you so that when you come back to your car and that vehicle left, and you discover a mark, you have his #s!
Yeah I thoroughly abuse parking next to handicap spots, but they are a slight risk. 95% of the time they are unused, but if that paraplegic DOES use it, I am foxtrot mike lima screwed.

Good suggestions people. I like taking the tag number, quick camera shot and you're good to go. This brings up another good lesson learned:

1. Avoid Valet at all cost.
2. If you are unable to avoid the valet, take numerous pictures of your vehicle...not so much because you could do something about any damages done to your car by them, as you want them to SEE that you're super careful about your car and look like you will be ready to take them to court if you so much as see a hairline scratch anywhere. One time I had to use valet and I made sure they saw me taking pictures of my car and when I went to pick it up, I saw my car parked in the VIP spot between 2 columns, right near the entrance.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's just a car.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
hahaha! i just got my car and i park either in the back of the lot or next to a curb fixture leaving only one side exposed!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
That's right, this is for 3g TL's only
9. IMO it is better to park next to a vehicle already parked so you can determine the distance away from them than to allow the VPN to determine that distance after you park.

Feel free to list any more suggestions.
Good points. Point 9 though has some risk, you never know when the parked cars are driven off and some maniac comes and parks in their place leaving no space in between. I do this only if I am doing a splash and dash...
Old 02-20-2011, 08:03 PM
2004 AM TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
13. Do NOT Park. Bring freinds, relatives, SO's with you and have them do the shopping or whatever, while you slowly cruise the parking lot.

14. If unable to do #13, go ahead and park, BUT either you, a freind, relative or SO stay in with the vehicle.

15. Take the bus whenever possible.

I do try to avoid getting dings and stuff, but I basically look for a space big enough and park. I do like parking next to more expensive cars but, honestly, those are probably old people who don't care/wouldn't know if they dinged your car anyway.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:05 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
glad i'm not the only one that has rules of where to park, many of the ones on the list i follow.

one other suggestion: if at work in a parking garage that has some turnover, park with the column/pillar to your passenger side since most people typically drive by themselves, so even though your driver's side is exposed, its unlikely to get dinged.

only thing about the handy spaces...swinging doors and old peeps, they dont' really care.

if possible, have someone else drive if you plan on heading to vulnerable parking situations.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
16.have your friend drive you in his car while yours is safely tucked away at home.....
Old 02-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Proud to say that I've adhered to all these points, except for the owning a 3G TL part Take that, suck it, and move this thread to Car Talk.

17. If given a choice, park in front or behind a car, as opposed to beside. There's less of a chance (usually) that someone will bump you than there is of them opening their door into yours.

18. For those of you in front license plate states/provinces, try to park behind a car as opposed to in front of it, or let the front end of your car face any possible hazards. These cars have a giant mother of a license plate holder, which can be useful for fending off pretty much anything.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:13 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
So many great points. I use some of these methods already when parking.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 AM
TL = True Love

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandals
It's just a car.
+1 I agree. Its not like we drive R8s and ZR1s around.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:32 AM
DonShatta aka DonDadda

LOL, i dont do this in my Acura but when I'm driving one of my Benzos I'll do it, the sad thing about it is that everyone likes to be parked next to a nice car no matter what. For instance ill go to Target choose the further parking spot all alone with no one next to me in both sides for miles, walk to Target get something quick but the time I'm out, there are at least a group of 3 cars around me already i always check for door dings and scratches every time ill get back in my car.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I've seen lambos and ferraris that dont follow these rules.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:51 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
parking lot paranoia, or PLP...it's a serious condition that claims the lives of many.

symptoms include not being able to park your car anywhere in fear that it will be damaged upon your return; making passengers get out of your car while driver circles parking lot until he/she finds the only acceptable spot (he/she is still uneasy about that spot as well); after parking car, he/she looks back at car numerous times while walking to said destination; inability to park in the city/parallel parking situations; straight-out refusal to drive anywhere if the parking lot schematics are not up to the PLP code.

there are many other symptoms related to PLP, but these are some of the most common.

if you, or someone you know is exhibting these sort of behaivors...rejoice in the fact that you are not alone.

fellow PLP victims...which is the safest parking lot below?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

It's just a car.
Cars are enough of a money sink as it is. I don't like spending my hard-earned money to fix other people's mistakes, especially if it could've been avoided.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 AM
RAR

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
parking lot paranoia, or PLP...it's a serious condition that claims the lives of many.

symptoms include not being able to park your car anywhere in fear that it will be damaged upon your return; making passengers get out of your car while driver circles parking lot until he/she finds the only acceptable spot (he/she is still uneasy about that spot as well); after parking car, he/she looks back at car numerous times while walking to said destination; inability to park in the city/parallel parking situations; straight-out refusal to drive anywhere if the parking lot schematics are not up to the PLP code.

there are many other symptoms related to PLP, but these are some of the most common.

if you, or someone you know is exhibting these sort of behaivors...rejoice in the fact that you are not alone.

fellow PLP victims...which is the safest parking lot below?

I would settle for any of the end spots where there is a triangle, by parking parallel and over/inside the triangle. The ideal triangle is the bottom right one. If there is a VPN it will be passenger side, and by parking into the triangle, it will leave a huge space next to me.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
It's just a car.
Bite your tongue.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by mcmguti
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k
Old 02-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Cruisin'

This doesn't always help. I was sitting in my shiny new car in a parking lot when a VW Beetle pulled up up next to me. An older lady got out of the passenger side, opening her door *bam!* right into the side of my car. She even apologize, even when I got out to check for damage.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Cruisin'

Uh, that should be * didn't even apologize. Oddly enough, I can't edit my own post?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:10 PM
RAR

It's just a car.
Originally Posted by mcmguti
Aside from my house, it's one of the single most expensive things I own and I plan on keeping/taking care of it for a long time. You're probably the type for whom it's just a means of transportation though so you dont really care that much about it, so in that case think of any damage done to it as further depreciation on its value if/when you decide to sell it.

pixie, I feel your pain, old people in vehicles are a hazard period. Another reason to park far away is that old people always try to minimize the distance they have to walk.

Last edited by leedogg; 02-21-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My kids hate the fact that I park far away from others in the parking lot. But the car is three years old without a mark on it (knock on wood).
Old 02-21-2011, 12:38 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
oh another one i just remembered...cautious with end spots in a parking garage or lot where there is a turn. heaven forbid it get clipped by some idiot who likes to cut corners and your rear bumper when turning.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always avoid parking next too SUV and minivans, I've saw a kid jump out of the vehicle he was in and bash the door of the car next to him.

If you are going to parallel park at the end of a row-- beware-- that your car is easier to steal.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah I understand that a lot of you guys have money in your cars. But at the end of the day its still a car that gets you around and keeps you safe. It reminds me of that thread from last week someone complaining about another driver cleaning his windows which resulted in overspray. Maybe if you had a sports car would it really matter. /rant
Old 02-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Cruisin'

8. Park next to vehicles nicer than yours.
there aren't any nicer than 3G TLs
Old 02-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
I too follow all those rules...
much to the chagrin of my fiance, especially when she's wearing heels and the rules force me to park in the furthest spot from our destination
Old 02-21-2011, 02:14 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I too follow all those rules...
much to the chagrin of my fiance, especially when she's wearing heels and the rules force me to park in the furthest spot from our destination
If you adhered to all of rule 1 (drop passengers off first), you would get brownie points not grief
Old 02-21-2011, 02:21 PM
AZ Community Team

If you adhered to all of rule 1 (drop passengers off first), you would get brownie points not grief

Damn!!

I was just getting ready to point that out.

As I consider this thread, it occurs to me that both my Acura vehicles are driven in the city/suburbs by asian women.

Parked in a crowded parking lot is probably the safest place they'll be all day.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I watched my friend almost kill a woman and her kid. They pulled up to us right as I was getting ready to get out of his CL65 Brabus Mercedes. They pull too close and the kid opens his door into my friend's car but since they parked so close the kid had a hard time getting out. The door bounced back into him so he kept slamming it against the Mercedes over and over again getting pissed.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I watched my friend almost kill a woman and her kid. They pulled up to us right as I was getting ready to get out of his CL65 Brabus Mercedes. They pull too close and the kid opens his door into my friend's car but since they parked so close the kid had a hard time getting out. The door bounced back into him so he kept slamming it against the Mercedes over and over again getting pissed.
Oh my...how old (approx.) was the kid?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM
AZ Community Team

Anyone notice parking spaces getting narrower over the past 5-years or so?

Stores trying to squeeze in room for a few more cars, I guess.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:46 PM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I had to let a valet park my car in Philly today. I checked everything out when I got it back. Whew.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
Anyone notice parking spaces getting narrower over the past 5-years or so?

Stores trying to squeeze in room for a few more cars, I guess.
noticed at my school too.. thats why I park at ends over the lines

Quick Reply: Leedogg's 3g parking guide