Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lease Payments in NY - NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpecialFX
Absolutely. Why should a manufacturer or leasing company be held liable when someone in a leased car mows down six kids and a crossing guard? Sounds like we have a lawyer here. The only thing that matters is who has the deepest pockets so they can sue the crap out of them. The laws DO need to be fixed. I just don't think it will happen for some time.
FX, I can appreciate your passion about the issue. But what if there was a surcharge of sorts for people with a bad driving history? That way, higher lease prices, or "bank fees" , or however you want to disguise it, would be paid by drivers who cause the accidents, and better drivers would not be penalized. Why cant Acura and other car manufacturers put something like that in place?
Old 11-16-2004, 05:22 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JaffMan
FX, I can appreciate your passion about the issue. But what if there was a surcharge of sorts for people with a bad driving history? That way, higher lease prices, or "bank fees" , or however you want to disguise it, would be paid by drivers who cause the accidents, and better drivers would not be penalized. Why cant Acura and other car manufacturers put something like that in place?
This is getting off topic (sort of - it's still related to leasing and the costs involved) but what you describe does not happen. Everyone pays the added fees. In recent years the "bank fee" portion of the lease quote has gone from a couple of hundred dollars to many hundreds, and in some cases over a thousand dollars. My understanding is that this is partly in response to the vicarious liability issue. And they couldn't seperate out the bad drivers because someone would claim it's discriminatory. So everyone pays.

It does not seem right that a manufacturer builds a product, sells same and never sees it again, then, due to misuse or negligence on the part of the buyer, the manufacturer can end up being sued. I'm not talking about defective products. The only reason manufacturers are dragged in is for their deep pockets. Most people don't have millions of dollars to pay in settlements, their insurance only covers up to the limits of their liability coverage, but the manufcacturer (or bank or whomever) has plenty of money. So he gets dragged into it. With the exorbitant awards juries give out it's better than playing the lottery.

The laws need to be fixed.